PDA

View Full Version : Debilitated ?

Chalk
04-07-2013, 02:05 AM
If a planet is setting could it mean that the planet is debilitated ?

Kaiousei no Senshi
04-07-2013, 02:21 AM
No, I've never heard such a thing. However, the 8th, 7th, and 6th houses' negative meanings are derived from the solar journey and the Sun's setting on that part of the sky.

So, not too far off, but not in itself debilitating.

Moog
04-07-2013, 07:57 AM

Nah

You mean Pluto?

Chalk
04-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Nah

You mean Pluto?

Yes, I meant Pluto.

melleoscorp
02-20-2014, 01:13 AM
from what I read a planet is debilitated (weak) when it is in the sign opposite the sign it rules. hence Sun is dignified in Leo, debilitated in Aquarius.

a planet is fall or detriment, in the sign opposite its exaltation.
Sun is exalted in Aries, fall/detriment in Libra.
fall/detriment is worse condition than debilitated/weak, although it has nothing to do with "lack of power"

from the chart the dignities are :
Sun in Leo but late degree (called anaretic If I remember correctly)
Mercury in Virgo
Pluto in Scorpio
Saturn in Capricorn

debilitated is Mars in Taurus
because in Traditional Astrology Mars rules Scorpio (dignified in Scorpio)

as in planet in setting, doesn't necessarily mean it's debilitated

Zarathu
02-20-2014, 02:35 AM
Since this is not the Traditional Astrology sub forum, and it part of the natal astrology forum, it is possible to share that there are many ways to determine strength and power in planets.

PM me if you want the one that I use, or if you've read many of my 3500 posts then you already know.... :tongue:

Kaiousei no Senshi
02-20-2014, 02:53 AM
from what I read a planet is debilitated (weak) when it is in the sign opposite the sign it rules. hence Sun is dignified in Leo, debilitated in Aquarius.

a planet is fall or detriment, in the sign opposite its exaltation.
Sun is exalted in Aries, fall/detriment in Libra.
fall/detriment is worse condition than debilitated/weak, although it has nothing to do with "lack of power"

Those are definitely some examples of essential debility with the Sun's Fall in Libra and his detriment in Aquarius, but there is another category of debilities. The accidental debilities refer to ways planets are injured in a chart based on what is happening to them. There are several ways planets can be accidentally debilitated included being in a cadent house, being Square or Opposed a malefic planet, being in the Sign of a weak malefic planet, etc etc.

Actually, a planet being debilitated has everything to do with a lack of power, or even in some cases a corruption of power or signification. A very simple example would be a well placed or strong First house lord being indicative of "strong" health, vs a debilitated First house lord showing "weak" health.

dr. farr
02-20-2014, 03:02 AM

Nor have I read this as an indication of debility, neither in Western nor in Vedic astrological literture.
However, particularly in Hellenist and Islamic transitional era literature, I have read that planets moving south of the celestial equator, eg, "setting in south latitude" in a reference by al-Kindi, "setting in south declination" reference by Thabit ibn Qurra, was considered to be an accidental debility for the planet involved (however, I myself do not follow this particular indication)

melleoscorp
02-20-2014, 05:31 AM
but there is another category of debilities. The accidental debilities refer to ways planets are injured in a chart based on what is happening to them. There are several ways planets can be accidentally debilitated included being in a cadent house, being Square or Opposed a malefic planet, being in the Sign of a weak malefic planet, etc etc.

Actually, a planet being debilitated has everything to do with a lack of power, or even in some cases a corruption of power or signification. A very simple example would be a well placed or strong First house lord being indicative of "strong" health, vs a debilitated First house lord showing "weak" health.
oh ok yes I remember reading a planet cadent , but I don't know the other ones e.g. square, opposed malefic etc and I was told it has nothing to do with lack of power, it just can't function properly whatever it means lol but it makes sense what you said 'strong / weak' health

Kaiousei no Senshi
02-20-2014, 05:51 AM
, but I don't know the other ones e.g. square, opposed malefic

Usually in a square or opposition aspect with Saturn or Mars, without being received.

and I was told it has nothing to do with lack of power, it just can't function properly

I think that's a distinction without difference.

A debilitated planet lacks the power to bring about what it signifies because it's damaged. A debilitated planet can't function to bring about what it signifies because it's damaged. They sound the same to me! :D

melleoscorp
02-20-2014, 05:59 AM
I think that's a distinction without difference.

A debilitated planet lacks the power to bring about what it signifies because it's damaged. A debilitated planet can't function to bring about what it signifies because it's damaged. They sound the same to me! :D

yep the very meaning of debilitated

I'll read the article again perhaps I had it mixed up with something else :lol:

tsmall
02-21-2014, 02:28 AM
Those are definitely some examples of essential debility with the Sun's Fall in Libra and his detriment in Aquarius, but there is another category of debilities. The accidental debilities refer to ways planets are injured in a chart based on what is happening to them. There are several ways planets can be accidentally debilitated included being in a cadent house, being Square or Opposed a malefic planet, being in the Sign of a weak malefic planet, etc etc.

I think this illustrates the difference between a planet being in debility (debilitated) and a planet being impeded. A planet may be well dignified and totally suited to it's task, but something (another planet, or being in a cadent house, eg) is holding that planet back.