PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of burned planets?!

ExtremeRose
03-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Hello!!! :)
My friend, who is practicing astrology, for a while, says that when two planets are in conjunction,on the same degree, that the planet which is ahead(its calculated by minutes), it's burning the other one. For example I have Sun in Leo on 29 degree,and 36 minutes, and Venus in Leo on 29degree, and 00 minutes. She says that My Sun is burning my Venus, in which way? I don't really believe that theory..It's not very logic... someone please help me! :))))))) :(((
:love: for all! <3

Cypocryphy
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Actually, it's not. This is an extremely beneficial aspect, which is called cazimi. You are doing OK! :smile: This is typically used in horary astrology, it is applicable to natal astrology as well.

Here, check this out: https://livevisionz.com/THE_CAZIMI.html

tsmall
03-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Hello!!! :)
My friend, who is practicing astrology, for a while, says that when two planets are in conjunction,on the same degree, that the planet which is ahead(its calculated by minutes), it's burning the other one. For example I have Sun in Leo on 29 degree,and 36 minutes, and Venus in Leo on 29degree, and 00 minutes. She says that My Sun is burning my Venus, in which way? I don't really believe that theory..It's not very logic... someone please help me! :))))))) :(((
:love: for all! <3

"Burning" only happens with conjunctions to the Sun. The power of the Sun is so strong that any planet within 8* of it (traditionally, and even in most modern interpretations) is said to be combust, or burned. Planets are considered to be "under the beams" (think sunbeams) if they are from about 8.5 degrees out to 17 degrees.

Here is the thing though...your Venus is very close to what we call cazimi, or in the heart of the Sun. Astrologers from Lily (and perhaps before) only counted planets as cazimi, or in the heart of the Sun, if they were within 17', but I am of the opinion that a degree or less counts in natal charts. You can google the term to get the idea, as well as googling "combust" and "under the beams."

All of that said, a planetary conjunction not involving the Sun is not in any way considered a "burning."

ExtremeRose
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes? and, I think I'm figuring it out, but what do you think, what would my Sun+Venus mean?:)))

Cypocryphy
03-09-2013, 12:21 AM
That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes? and, I think I'm figuring it out, but what do you think, what would my Sun+Venus mean?:)))

What's wrong with my arithmetic? I suppose your Venus is combust your Sun. And you were so close! Well, this is kind of what it means. I have not looked at your chart, so this will be a tentative analysis.

Your Venus is in Leo, so you are likely a woman who is really loyal to her lover. But because it is combust, you'll be loyal to a fault, you see? When you should leave the relationship, you'll stay. You'll try to make it work when you should save yourself the pain and suffering. You're like a captain that stays on board a sinking ship.

So you can see how it helps you have this wonderfully commendable quality, but it will be your achilles heal.

Does that make sense?

tsmall
03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
What's wrong with my arithmetic? I suppose your Venus is combust your Sun. And you were so close! Well, this is kind of what it means. I have not looked at your chart, so this will be a tentative analysis.

Your Venus is in Leo, so you are likely a woman who is really loyal to her lover. But because it is combust, you'll be loyal to a fault, you see? When you should leave the relationship, you'll stay. You'll try to make it work when you should save yourself the pain and suffering. You're like a captain that stays on board a sinking ship.

So you can see how it helps you have this wonderfully commendable quality, but it will be your achilles heal.

Does that make sense?

Would be easier to try if we had the chart though. What you describe is pretty apt for a Taurus Moon as well.

What house is Leo? What houses (Taurus, Libra and Pisces) does Venus rule? What remarks Aries in the chart?

ExtremeRose, to answer your question, natally I would consider your Venus to be cazimi.

JUPITERASC
03-09-2013, 12:40 AM
That's very interesting... So do I have the cazimi, or is it strictly 17minutes?....
Combust http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/combust.html

QUOTE:

'A planet is combust when it is in conjunction with the Sun and therefore hidden from sight by the light of the Sun.
Traditionally this is a serious debility and implies that the planet is weakened or restricted in power.

However, if the planet is within 17 minutes of the Sun, it is termed Cazimi - in the heart of the Sun - and considered strengthened by the union...'

'In his Introduction, William Lilly stated that the combust planet should be in the same sign as the Sun and within 8 30'
- beyond this distance, but within 17 of the Sun, the planet is said to be under the Sun's beams. This condition is debilitating, but not as severe as combustion....' :smile:

Cypocryphy
03-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Would be easier to try if we had the chart though.

Yeah. That would definitely help. I just wanted to convey how a planet being combust will augment its influence.

What you describe is pretty apt for a Taurus Moon as well.

I can definitely see that. But I distinguish the effects of the two by the cause. The cause for the former is loyalty. The cause for the latter is a emotional resilience or emotional fixedness. The emotion and mind are fixed. I suppose you could say they are stubborn. So if someone tells her that the guy she's with is no good, then she'll resist that idea, even if he is so. It is due to her initially building a positive emotional response toward her man and that emotional response becoming fixed. This is so even if he now iss treating her badly. The idea will be that I know he's a good person because I loved him once, so he'll be a good person again at some point. With a Leo Venus, I see it as a belief that "love" is being there for someone, and that if I love them enough, they're going to change.

This could be splicing hairs in a sense, and I know everyone has their different interpretations. But this is how I try to distinguish them. Does that seem right to you? Maybe not! :happy: I think everyone kind of uses their own judgment and experience to interpret these conditions. *shrug*

Moog
03-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Apparently, one Sanskrit term for combustion is nashta which means 'lost'.

What happens astronomically, is that the planet is;

a) Invisible, obscured by rising with the Sun.

b) Distant, more distant from the earth.

Mercury and Venus operate a little differently to the outer planets. So, don't just look at their proximity to the sun, it depends on whether they are in the superior or inferior conjunction.

I speculate that the 'Cazimi' term is meant to be applied to these planets, when they are in the inferior conjunction... or, quite possibly, only to their transits across the actual face of the Sun, such as happened last year, with the Venus transit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus).

For the outer planets, it's simpler; if they are within range of the Sun, they are lost/burnt.

Cypocryphy
03-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Apparently, one Sanskrit term for combustion is nashta which means 'lost'.

What happens astronomically, is that the planet is;

a) Invisible, obscured by rising with the Sun.

b) Distant, more distant from the earth.

Mercury and Venus operate a little differently to the outer planets. So, don't just look at their proximity to the sun, it depends on whether they are in the superior or inferior conjunction.

I speculate that the 'Cazimi' term is meant to be applied to these planets, when they are in the inferior conjunction... or, quite possibly, only to their transits across the actual face of the Sun, such as happened last year, with the Venus transit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus).

For the outer planets, it's simpler; if they are within range of the Sun, they are lost/burnt.

Yes!! Quite so!!

dr. farr
03-09-2013, 03:59 AM
I follow a more alchemical outlook regarding combustion: I do not consider the planet "destroyed" by the Sun, but rather that the Sun has absorbed (temporarily) the qualities of the combust planet, and that a mixture of Sun+planet qualities and influences are then present (predominanted, however, by the solar qualities) Regarding aspects (or Parallels) of the combust planet to other planets, I use the Sun "as if" in that aspect or Parallel (rather than the combust planet), for delineative purposes.
I follow the ancients and consider Cazimi to be the greatest possible dignity for any planet (Firmicus Maternus, Maximus and other ancients said that when a planet is Cazimi it is as if there were 2 of those planets operative in the chart)
...but, like I said, my outlook here is very much in line with alchemical thinking (moreso than with "straight" astrological thinking) regarding this subject...

gen6k
03-09-2013, 05:19 AM
well basically your ego takes love for itself. basically actions in venus are slightly more manipulated as well as there being a certain wound from the sun on to venus.

in terms of mercury combust it manifests as a speech quirk or reciprocating events with the ego not necessarily egoistic...they are appropriated for the self, but the person can still develop the actions according to their nature.

the direct combust is not really all that bad. the 5+ combust is more highly visible in many artists,musicians,writers, etc. where the mind is able to seperate from the ego for a little bit more space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYKC28H-x0

he has an exact combust mercury.

it can be problematic though without adjustment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsdvMfvkWY

ExtremeRose
03-09-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37392&stc=1&d=1362859787
Here's my chart, so I would appriciate it, if you help me! :)

ExtremeRose
03-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Does that make sense?

Hmm, I like this sentance about captain and his ship...You're right about one. If i love someone, I will not leave him, but if i don't have enough attention, and passion,at the moment I will be with him, but, it's like animal instinct- my sensors start opening for others, my heart starts to open for others options... I can be attracted to more people than one...I love that feeling...It's like my, let's say: GOOD FLAW...

Cypocryphy
03-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I like this sentance about captain and his ship...You're right about one. If i love someone, I will not leave him, but if i don't have enough attention, and passion,at the moment I will be with him, but, it's like animal instinct- my sensors start opening for others, my heart starts to open for others options... I can be attracted to more people than one...I love that feeling...It's like my, let's say: GOOD FLAW...

:lol: @ Good Flaw. Funny . . . .

Your attachment didn't post for some reason. There's a better way to put up a chart. You'll want to attach it as a file. Here's a link to show you how: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157204&postcount=27

At least I hope that works.

And I don't think that my statement I made about "loyalty" accurately portrays your manner of romance or interaction in relationships. I think that you probably wouldn't "go down with a sinking ship." :wink: But it does tend to show the effect of what combustion causes. Nonetheless, we (I and others) can look at your chart and give you better feedback. :smile:

See ya

kimbermoon
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Would it not depend on which planet is more dominant? Does the Sun eclipse the other planetary energy, or vice versa? I have Sun/Jupiter conjunct [6'] in the 8th house [Cancer]...at the same time Mars is in opposition to this conjunction. Further there is a grand trine involving Saturn, Moon and Sun/Jupiter...what might thee say about this?:smile:

Cypocryphy
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Would it not depend on which planet is more dominant? Does the Sun eclipse the other planetary energy, or vice versa? I have Sun/Jupiter conjunct [6'] in the 8th house [Cancer]...at the same time Mars is in opposition to this conjunction. Further there is a grand trine involving Saturn, Moon and Sun/Jupiter...what might thee say about this?:smile:

Yeah. I definitely think you are right regarding which planet is more dominant. And as far as the Sun eclipsing, I believe it is just as Moog described with the superior and inferior conjunctions.

Do you have a chart? It would make it easer. At least for me! :smile:

kimbermoon
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
http://www.astro.com/tmpd/c3eifileAO2QmA-u1250281609/astro_2gw_07_kim.83197.12081.gif (http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cgi?lang=e&gif=astro_2gw_07_kim.83197.12081.gif&res=63&va=&cid=3eifileAO2QmA-u1250281609)
my natal chart:smile:

Moog
03-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Traditional sources indicate that the planet's power isn't completely lost, due to it's dignity.

I've never heard of a planet overpowering the Sun. However, I can see that there's a certain logic to the idea. But I'd go with the traditional view unless I saw something convincing otherwise.

Combustion seems to an astrological concept derived from astronomy. As far as I know, the Sun doesn't obscure a planet any the less when it's in Libra, nor is Jupiter more visible through 'the beams' in Cancer.

dr. farr
03-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Right, that's along the lines of why I consider combust planets to be absorbed (melded with) the Sun, with a resultant influence of Sun (predominant) mixed with the qualities/influences of the combust planet.

IleneK
03-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Referring to KM's chart, I believe from a traditional astrology viewpoint, when a planet is combust the Sun, generally speaking, there is no planet more dominant than the Sun. The planet that is combust with the Sun is, as Moog, described, "lost", totally combusted, cannot be seen.

There are ameliorating circumstances, though.

The first circumstance is that a planet applying to a conjunction with the Sun is more affected than one separating from the Sun. And of course, the closer to exactly conjunct with the Sun, with the exception of being very close [cazimi], the more the Sun obscures. So in KM's chart, with Jupiter separating by 6 degrees, it is just about out of the Sun's combustion. But it is still under the sunbeams and suffering some injury.

Another circumstance, according to Frawley, involves a planet in its own sign, in its dignity, like Venus in Taurus combust Sun. In this instance, the planet has power of the Sun by dispositing or ruling it, while the Sun has power over the planet by combustion. So combustion does not harm the planet. In KM's chart, Jupiter is in its exaltation not its dignity, so I am not sure it is protected. If it is not, then it is diminished by being combust the Sun, hidden and not properly "seen", but less so than if it were in orb by 6 degrees, but applying to the Sun.

!4C
03-10-2013, 01:34 AM
I have mercury combust, which should be relatively common. How does that affect mercury function?

Cypocryphy
03-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Just to clarify, in regard to the planet being more dominant, I interpret a planet that is strengthened by the zodiac sign it is within to fare better when suffering from "combustion." I look at the planet as if it has a "solar shield." Is that what you mean by "dominant"?

When a planet (such as Jupiter) is in a state of superior combustion, then I interpret "cazimi" to be the opposite of what it would be when in a state of inferior combustion. The whole energy of the planet is frustrated. But a planet in a state of superior combustion, but at such a point as to be considered "within the beams," I will not negate the planets influence but interpret its state as being frustrated.

Moog
03-10-2013, 01:56 AM
For those who wish to explore combustion, I wrote a little bit more about it here (http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=452614&postcount=5). The thread is about retrogression, which I am coming to see as an opposite state to combustion

And I definitely recommend looking at this software, it's freeware. Quite illuminating. (Pun)

http://www.alcyone.de/planetary_lunar_and_stellar_visibility.html

dr. farr
03-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Some of the earliest Hellenic authors (CORRECTION! Dorotheus of Sidon, Antiochus of Athens, Maximus) gave variable distances from the Sun for each planet, as indicating combustion (depending upon the qualities and nature of the specific planet) rather than the later doctrine of a set number of degrees from the Sun generically for all planets. I follow this "variable combustion" concept, and I base it upon the elemental quality of the planet involved: eg, Water element planets (Moon, Venus) I consider most resistant to combustion (and count combustion only under 3 degrees), then Earth element planets (Mercury, Saturn) are next resistant (and I count combustion only at 3/4 degrees or less); next Air (Jupiter) which I regard as combust only at 5 degrees or less, then most susceptible (because of being of the same element as the Sun), Fire (Mars) which I regard as combust at 6 (perhaps even 7) degrees.

tsmall
03-10-2013, 03:02 AM
There is traditionally another consideration with burned planets (which is why the Sun is considered sometimes to be an accidental malefic) called "returning." It has to do with applying planets "pushing" something onto the other planet whether it be management, nature or power. When a planet is combust or burned it is unable to receive what is being pushed and so returns it back to the applying planet, often times in a worsened state or corrupted somehow.

To speak a bit more to what IleneK posted, in Hellenistic astrology a planet was considered free from combustion if it was in any of its own places...domicile, exaltation, term, triplicity. A bit like being in a safe zone, it is called being in its chariot. So in KM's chart it would appear that Jupiter is freed from combustion.

Mars is actually more interesting in her chart, because it is retrograde but in exaltation. Revoking, or returning also happens with retro planets, and in this case the Sun is applying to Mars but Mars' retrogradation prevents him from accepting what the Sun has to offer and so he will return it. Thankfully Mars is very well behaved and the Sun is fit to carry the extra burden being supported by an exalted Jupiter in MR with the Moon. It could be a bit of a headache at times since Mars is the out of sect malefic and so might get up to the dickens every once in a while.

Cypocryphy
03-10-2013, 04:05 AM
http://www.astro.com/tmpd/c3eifileAO2QmA-u1250281609/astro_2gw_07_kim.83197.12081.gif (http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cgi?lang=e&gif=astro_2gw_07_kim.83197.12081.gif&res=63&va=&cid=3eifileAO2QmA-u1250281609)
my natal chart:smile:

Well, the image expired! Shoot. I'm going to have to go on memory now.

Well, I can tell you this, you are one sensitive person (girl)! (I'm going to assume that you are a girl. Please don't get upset if you are not. :sideways:) I bet you can just feel what a person is thinking when you are in his or her company. I bet your intuition is off the charts. Just out of curiosity, are you clairvoyant in any way? With your water emphasis in conjunction with the nature of your grand trine, it seems that you would be.

As for the issue of your Jupiter being combust, I would say that you do well financially. But I think you are doing well because of your partner. So, in a sense, with the Sun's influence, you'll find yourself being dependent on your loved one for financial security. Additionally, your finances should be very stable, and should not wane since you have a wonderful aspect from the other luminary and that it's fortified by a harmonious interaction with Saturn.

Aside from finances, your Jupiter is in Cancer, so it, of course, has that harmonious influence with its energies. But it is also combust with the Sun, and so its beneficial influence is minimized. Nonetheless, you should have an extremely caring nature about you. You will give all of yourself with compassion and sincerity. This caring nature really shows itself when you are with children. And despite the combustion, your heavy elemental emphasis of water fortifies this quality within yourself.

Anyway, the chart is gone, and I think I'll just leave it at that. Is any of this accurate?

All the best!

Kaiousei no Senshi
03-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Some of the earliest Hellenic authors (eg Firmicus Maternus) gave variable distances from the Sun for each planet, as indicating combustion (depending upon the qualities and nature of the specific planet) rather than the later doctrine of a set number of degrees from the Sun generically for all planets. I follow this "variable combustion" concept, and I base it upon the elemental quality of the planet involved: eg, Water element planets (Moon, Venus) I consider most resistant to combustion (and count combustion only under 3 degrees), then Earth element planets (Mercury, Saturn) are next resistant (and I count combustion only at 3/4 degrees or less); next Air (Jupiter) which I regard as combust only at 5 degrees or less, then most susceptible (because of being of the same element as the Sun), Fire (Mars) which I regard as combust at 6 (perhaps even 7) degrees.

The term "combust" does not appear in any of Firmicus Maternus's eight books. At least in the Bram translation, I understand Holden has done a more recent one.

ExtremeRose
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I can't give you a picture of my chart,i'm on my phone, right now.but i will appriciate if you look at it :)) 23.8.1991 belgrade,serbia 7:16 am...kisses

Cypocryphy
03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
I have uploaded your charts Rose. So now everyone can have a look. :smile:

dr. farr
03-12-2013, 03:22 AM
The term "combust" does not appear in any of Firmicus Maternus's eight books.

This is quite correct!
In fact, "combust" (or "combustion" or "combust zone") does not appear in ANY of the Hellenist authors:pinched:! The only concept (doctrine) found in Hellenist astrology relating to this issue was that of "Under the Sunbeams", ie, the Hellenists did NOT differentiate between "Under the Sunbeams" and "combust": for the Hellenists, the debility of a planet occured once it entered this "SUNBEAM" zone and continued until after the planet left the "SUNBEAM" zone. The doctrine that there existed a "Sunbeam" zone AND, within it, a more intense "COMBUST" zone, did not develop until early Islamic transitional era times.
For the Hellenists, there was only "Under the Beams" (and "the heart of the Sun", "Cazimi", first elaborated by Antiochus of Athens in the 2nd century); now, Dorotheus of Sidon (50 AD, before Ptolemy and Valens) spoke of this "Sunbeam" zone as VARIABLE relative to the planet in question (NOT as a "set zone" or set degree-area before and after the Sun, the same for all planets generically) This VARIABLE "Sunbeam" zone concept was also taught by Antiochus of Athens (2nd century) and Maximus (4th century), the latter author correlating the quality of the planet with the variableness of its becoming "Under the Sunbeams".

On a similar (historical) note, we also fail to find the doctrine of "essential detriment by sign" in Firmicus Maternus (or in other Hellenist authors"), ie, that a planet in a sign opposite its domicle = the detriment of that planet.
For the Hellenists, there was only domicile (in later times called "rulership"), exaltation and fall: like the doctrine of "combust" (as being distuniguished from "Under the Sunbeams"), so too did the doctine of "essential detriment by sign", develop after Hellenist times (during the early Islamic transitional era)...

Moog
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
On a similar (historical) note, we also fail to find the doctrine of "essential detriment by sign" in Firmicus Maternus (or in other Hellenist authors"), ie, that a planet in a sign opposite its domicle = the detriment of that planet.
For the Hellenists, there was only domicile (in later times called "rulership"), exaltation and fall: like the doctrine of "combust" (as being distuniguished from "Under the Sunbeams"), so too did the doctine of "essential detriment by sign", develop after Hellenist times (during the early Islamic transitional era)...

That's quite interesting.

Vedic astrology also doesn't have the 'detriments'. The domiciles, exaltations and falls are the same as in western astrology. Essential Dignity otherwise depends on a planets relationship with the lord of the sign.

!4C
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
I follow a more alchemical outlook regarding combustion: I do not consider the planet "destroyed" by the Sun, but rather that the Sun has absorbed (temporarily) the qualities of the combust planet, and that a mixture of Sun+planet qualities and influences are then present (predominanted, however, by the solar qualities) After reviewing the topic and looking at examples, I'm with Dr. Farr.

Combustion appears to be best viewed as an extension of disposing. The closer a planet is to the sun, the more it will be obligated to serve the sun. The planet can function normally, but it must answer to the king when summoned. Obviously, being within sight and shouting distance of the boss means less chance of freedom.

The sun rules conscious thought. While most nervous system functions operate independent of conscious thought, conscious thought has the ability to temporarily override many of these functions. So it guess makes sense that the sun would have such elevated power status in a natal chart, at least in terms of psychology.

Bina
03-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I have Mars (1118) conjunct Sun (1212) in Taurus, 3rd house, also both are closely parallel (26') and have often wondered about this conjunction. Since both Sun and Mars are fiery by nature would the combustion weaken Mars?? How would the parallel aspect affect the combustion? How can the energies of those two planets so closely linked play themselves out?

I have to add that I can be very stubborn and strong-willed. I can have a lot of energy once i get going on a project and can be very determined to see things through, I don't give up easy on anything. :whistling:

dr. farr
03-13-2013, 03:30 AM
I have Mars (1118) conjunct Sun (1212) in Taurus, 3rd house, also both are closely parallel (26') and have often wondered about this conjunction. Since both Sun and Mars are fiery by nature would the combustion weaken Mars?? How would the parallel aspect affect the combustion? How can the energies of those two planets so closely linked play themselves out?

I have to add that I can be very stubborn and strong-willed. I can have a lot of energy once i get going on a project and can be very determined to see things through, I don't give up easy on anything. :whistling:

From my perspective there would be an amplification of Fire (since both Sun and Mars are Fiery), with an emphasis on Solar qualities over Martial, but Mars still quite influential in the sense that those qualities of Mars and those qualities of the Sun which are SIMILAR to each other, would be very potently expressed; the Parallel tends to make Sun and Mars more equal in this mixture (since combustion is determined from considerations regarding longitude/ecliptic, moreso than from equatorial declination)

ExtremeRose
03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Could you people,please look at my chart,which Cypocryphy uploaded?:'((

dr. farr
03-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Could you people,please look at my chart,which Cypocryphy uploaded?:'((

From my perspective:
-Mercury is combust
-Jupiter is "barely combusted" (and therefore, in my opinion, only mildly detrimented by this)
-Venus is close enough for me to consider as Cazimi (and therefore significantly dignified)