PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the North Node as exaltation ruler of Gemini?

zona967
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Ptolemy has it in his table of essential dignities: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

I've never seen anyone make reference to this so I wondered if the Nodes are used in practice as exaltation rulers of Gemini and Sagittarius.

Thank you.

aglaya
01-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Ptolemy has it in his table of essential dignities: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

I've never seen anyone make reference to this so I wondered if the Nodes are used in practice as exaltation rulers of Gemini and Sagittarius.

Thank you.

Hi, zona967.

Honestly, I don't think you will find many astrologers who pay a lot of attention to that fact for at least two reasons.

Technically, exaltations are used as one of the dignities and, following the traditional approach, what the dignities should tell us is, firstly, how strong a planet is and, secondly, by examining the dignities we should be able to see how well the planets are communicating with each other (mutual reception).
But, since the Nodes are not planets and cannot be assigned as rulers, we don't really determine their strength in the same manner as we do with the planets. Similarly, we don't calculate mutual reception between the nodes and the planets because the nodes (again!) are not the representatives or the rulers. I hope this makes sense. :)

Some astrologers pay more attention to the nodes than the other. Personally, I use the nodes in Natal astrology but only to pinpoint the area of a specific heaviness.In Horary astrology, I find them very useful in lost object/persons charts as well as in charts in which a relevant planet is occupying a nodal degree.

I hope this helps,

cheers,

aglaya

dr. farr
01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
While crediting the Nodes with much influence, I myself do not accord "rulership", "exaltation" or any other dignity/debility to them, since they are not actually planets but rather are horoscopic points; in Vedic astrology where the nodes are recognized as very important (Rahu and Ketu) there has always been much difference of opinion as to where (or even if) the Nodes are exalted, in rulership or in detriment: Parasara ("father" of Vedic astrology) stated that the Nodes did not have any rulership or exaltation (or detrimented) places.

wca
01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
completely agree with aglaya. fundamental issue in understanding how that could work.