PDA

View Full Version : Which planet is stronger in my chart: Mercury or the Moon?

zona967
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure of the exact birth time (there's a couple of minutes variance) but in any case using the 4-degree cusp rule that's what the chart would look like.

It seems it would be wise to not rely on planets in the 8th and 12th houses. I am only wary of Saturn as it is said to rule the 8th house.

If we leave Saturn as well, we're left with three planets that are not in malefic houses. Venus is in detriment and retrograde though so it might be wise to leave it as well.

What remains is Mercury and the Moon.

The problem is none of them have essential dignity. Mercury is in mutual reception by face with the Sun, but that's like covering your nipples while lying naked on the beach in the hope that you won't get sunburn. Also the Sun is in the sign of Mercury's detriment.

Mercury is in the 7th which I gather is better than being in the 5th since it's an angular house. However, Mercury is close to Venus which acts more like a malefic than a benefic being in detriment and retrograde which means she'll try to drag Mercury down. The good news is she's retrograde so that's actually a separating conjunction and she might leave Mercury alone after all. There's an exact trine with Jupiter that is in domicile but it's in the 12th house and in the sign of Mercury's fall. The ruler Mars is in the 12th house (not good) but at least in an air sign which is somewhat good for Mercury.

The Moon seems to have fun in the 5th. The ruler is in its own triplicity but it's in the 8th house. There's a separating trine with Saturn (not good anymore, I used to be more disciplined when young).

The Moon and Mercury are in a separating square and mind versus emotions seems to not be such a big issue anymore. Actually, all squares in the chart are separating but so are the trines with the exception of the one between Mercury and Jupiter. So bigger challenges when young but also bigger rewards then. I think Ptolemy claims that Leo and Scorpio are signs of long ascension and what appears to be a square there is actually a trine. However, that's a smaller square than the usual one (it's separating) so not sure if that qualifies.

I was born in the 3rd quarter of the Moon (between Full Moon and 3/4 of the cycle).

So would you vote for the Moon or for Mercury and why?

Thank you.

NancyS
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Zona,

You can use this system for judging planetary dignities:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig5.html

Using this point scale, the moon wins by 4 points (1 vs. Mercury's -3). Your Mercury's negative score indicates it is not a happy camper.

Mercury rules the 3rd and 6th houses of your chart, "action" houses; so you may feel uninspired or creatively/extrinsically "blocked" when it is under bad aspect.

I agree with you about the separating square... and even if you do look at it like a square, I believe that the moon's emotional stimulation can help your Mercury out of the doldrums.

zona967
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree that the Moon gets 1 point with this calculation but Mercury gets 8 or 12 points from what I have (I don't know how to determine whether it's swift or slow in motion):

Peregrine: -5
In the 7th house: +4
Direct: +4
Oriental: -2
Free from combustion/not under the beams: +5
Partile trine with Jupiter: +4
Swift/slow in motion: ? (+/-2)

I guess you've solely taken into account that it's peregrine, oriental and in the 7th.

JUPITERASC
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree that the Moon gets 1 point with this calculation but Mercury gets 8 or 12 points from what I have (I don't know how to determine whether it's swift or slow in motion):
After creating a natal chart on astro.com and viewing it, one may then click on where it says "View the additional tables (pdf)" - that's above and to the left of the image of the natal chart

Doing that brings into view a 'Data Sheet' the fourth column of which is headed 'Speed' :smile:

zona967
12-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Doing that brings into view a 'Data Sheet' the fourth column of which is headed 'Speed' :smile:

Thank you. It seems we also need the average speed, I found it here: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/slow.html

Does the negative score in the data sheet show retrograde motion? And are planets in retrograde motion more likely to be slow in motion?

Thanks for the help.

It seems Mercury is slow indeed so that would mean a score of 8. But the Moon is also slow which means it gets -1?

JUPITERASC
12-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Thank you. It seems we also need the average speed, I found it here: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/slow.html

Does the negative score in the data sheet show retrograde motion? And are planets in retrograde motion more likely to be slow in motion?
Retrograde planets ARE slow in motion particularly when Stationary Retrograde or Stationing to go from Retrograde Direct

HOWEVER even though slow in motion, a Stationary Retrograde planet and/or a Stationary Direct planet is exceptionally strong :smile:
Thanks for the help.
It seems Mercury is slow indeed so that would mean a score of 8. But the Moon is also slow which means it gets -1?
Moon's speed is variable so if the Moon is slow then that's a minus as you have noted :smile:

zona967
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Retrograde planets ARE slow in motion particularly when Stationary Retrograde or Stationing to go from Retrograde Direct

HOWEVER even though slow in motion, a Stationary Retrograde planet and/or a Stationary Direct planet is exceptionally strong :smile:

Moon's speed is variable so if the Moon is slow then that's a minus as you have noted :smile:

Thank you. :)