PDA

View Full Version : the third house

thejesusandmarychain
09-30-2012, 09:32 PM
does the third house in medieval/traditional astrology always have to mean siblings? i know a few people with planets in the 3rd house, myself included, who are only children.

Moog
09-30-2012, 09:41 PM
does the third house in medieval/traditional astrology always have to mean siblings? i know a few people with planets in the 3rd house, myself included, who are only children.

Which planets?

The ruler of the house is (arguably) more important than planets in the house. So find the 3rd ruler and see what he's doing.

Aspects from Saturn to either the house or house ruler could impose a limit or restriction there too.

thejesusandmarychain
09-30-2012, 09:52 PM
so you mean if there's a planet in the 3rd house aspecting to saturn it would prevent the person from having siblings? i should look for elements of barrenness in the ruler planet of the 3rd house cusp sign then?

JUPITERASC
09-30-2012, 09:53 PM
does the third house in medieval/traditional astrology always have to mean siblings?
Not necessarily.

fwiw the 3rd house also signifies 'general members of the family' and even neighbors - in fact 3rd house has several additional meanings - here are the “Main Rulerships of 3rd House” a 92 word extract as sourced from Traditional Astrology website http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h3.html

QUOTE:

“Brothers and sisters, cousins or general members of the family (not parents, they belong to the 4th house).

Neighbors and our local neighborhood. The environment in which we live and work. Short journeys or those made on a regular basis. Lilly notes that this house shows a propensity for: 'oft removing from one place to another'.

Letters, rumours, reports, messages and messengers. Communications generally. Newspapers, magazines, telephones, postal service. Written deeds and contracts. Speeches and debates.

Our ability to express ourselves and communicate to others. Languages, mobility skills and self-expression”
...i know a few people with planets in the 3rd house, myself included, who are only children.
The most important factor is whether the time of birth is unquestionably precisely accurate and its worth determining that with checking - because if the time of birth is inaccurate, then those planets could be in either the 2nd or 4th house - and not the third. The house system one chooses can make a difference as well.

However, as stated above though, planets in 3rd do not necessarily describe siblings but could for example describe general members of the family as well as our local neighborhood plus our ability to communicate to others :smile:

thejesusandmarychain
09-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Letters, rumours, reports, messages and messengers. Communications generally. Newspapers, magazines, telephones, postal service. Written deeds and contracts. Speeches and debates.

Our ability to express ourselves and communicate to others. Languages, mobility skills and self-expression

this interpretation of the 3rd house has always made more sense to me but i thought it was modern. glad to see it's used in traditional as well! thank you (:

JUPITERASC
09-30-2012, 11:05 PM
this interpretation of the 3rd house has always made more sense to me but i thought it was modern. glad to see it's used in traditional as well! thank you (:
Modern is based on Traditional! :smile: