Holst's "The Planets"

Yoi

Gustav Holst was an avid follower of astrology and his famous "Planets" was based on his astrological readings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

The suite has seven movements:

1. Mars, the Bringer of War
2. Venus, the Bringer of Peace
3. Mercury, the Winged Messenger
4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity
5. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
6. Uranus, the Magician
7. Neptune, the Mystic

So, how does your favourite movement/s correspond to the most powerful planets in your chart? I have to admit long before I knew anything about astrology, Jupiter was by far by favourite movement and it is also by far the strongest planet in my chart.

Draco

I have heard of Holst's planetary suites, but I have never listened to them. Most classical music isn't really my bag, but I would like to listen to these.

Is there anywhere online that I could listen to these pieces of music?

That Pluto has only silence associated with it, is perhaps quite symbolic.

EDIT:

I see you can listen to Mars, Venus and Uranus at the end of the Wiki article, but I refrained from listening to Uranus as I would rather listen to them in the order that Holst intended, so I need to find Mercury next.

I wish Wiki was more organised and provided them all.

I recognise the Mars suite, I've heard it as a soundtrack in movies. I used to love the Superman films as a kid, I'm not sure if this is used in any of them, but it reminded me of them. I was waiting for a wild and dramatic climax, but it never came. I was after a bit of rage and sexuality in the music, but didn't sense it. I had in mind fleets of army tanks, ancient warlords and dinosaurs.

Venus was cute, it made me think of sylphs and nymphs. I was expecting Bjork to break out into song at any moment, I'm sure she could put lyrics to that and make it work. I thought of green trees in the Summer, drifting along a cool green river in a reed woven boat, swans, flowers, fairies.

Of the two I prefered Mars.

Off to find Mercury.

Last edited:

Draco

I thought it might be appropriate to put Holst's own horoscope up here.

I got the data from Astrotheme, so take it with a big pinch of salt. If the data is correct, his ascendant is exactly the same as my own!

Arian Maverick

My goodness, your charts look alike! Both third decanate Virgo Suns with Mercury in Libra, except you've got exalted Saturn modifying your Mercury while Holst has Jupiter modifying his, which seems like an astrological paradox to me...

Attempting to get back on topic, I am particularly interested in hearing each movement of this suite and seeing what musical elements Holst associated with each planet. I bet Mars is a bit jarring and dissonant while Venus has a sweet little melody; Mercury's movement likely has a quicker tempo than the others.

Arian Maverick

Draco

You can hear Venus, Mars and Uranus via the wikipedia link. I decied not to listen to Uranus until I can find where I might hear the others, I wish to listent to them in order.

Yoi

I think it is fitting that Holst has Saturn rising as Saturn was his favourite movement.

Wait a moment, is the chart rectified?

Last edited: