Drawing Lines / Nadir Midheaven Ascendent Descendent - Help

D

Deja

Hello,

Before I mark the lines on this chart, I want to make sure it's "right side up."

Should Pisces be at the top of the chart? Do I have it oriented correctly?

topchart.jpg

When I generate the chart at astrodienst, the Cancer sign is at the top, which makes the lines completely different. So, I'm not sure which chart is oriented correctly, or which one to use?

The 2 charts are uploaded here:
http://home.comcast.net/~dejasoul/charts.html

Thanks,
Deja

wilsontc

Staff member
Chart accuracy

Deja,

In general I would trust the Astrodienst chart, provided you entered the birth information correctly. Astrodienst calculates time zone adjustments and geographical coordinates automatically, unlike the chart generator on Astrology Weekly, which requires you to enter the correct time adjustments and geographical coordinates. By eliminating the source of the most common errors (calculating time adjustments and geographical coordinates), Astrodienst ensures that the person inputting the information will most likely create the correct chart.

To test Astrodienst's chart, calculate your chart using some other chart creator (such as at Astrolabe; http://www.alabe.com/freechart/ ). You should get the same chart no matter which site you use.

And, just to clarify, the lines are ALREADY marked on the chart which divide it into Ascendant/Descendant and Midheaven/Nadir. These dividing lines are the: HEAVY LINE dividing the chart into a top and bottom (between the signs Leo and Aquarius) and the HEAVY LINE dividing the chart into a right and left (between the signs Aries and Libra).

Explaining (and clarfiying) the basics,

Tim

D

Deja

Re: Chart accuracy

Thank You!

Astrolabe generated a similar chart to Astrodienst.

Last question (I promise)....

I'm certain I entered the correct coordinates, however the culprit must be the time zone adjustments.

I like AW because I can enter the exact coordinates, which is unfortunately important in my case because I was born on an Air Force Base and it's medical center is situated far from the city proper - and is, in and of itself, a city which is never listed in the presets. Hence, I've noticed some significant changes using the default city mode in Astrodienst (and other software using preset cities).

With Astrology Weekly, is there a formula or way I can know which selection to highlight under "Time Zone"? I was born June 27th, 1969 at 08:46 AM EST. It was Daylight Savings Time at the time, so it would actually be:

"08:46 EST with DST -0400 UTC."

Enjoying (though embarassed) that I don't know the basics yet,
Deja :D

wilsontc

Staff member
Using AW's slightly buggy chart generator

Deja,

Astrodienst DOES list the Airforce as a separate location ("Wright-Patterson A F B, OH") which it suggested as a location after I typed in "Wright-Patterson Medical Center":
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?rs=3&btyp=w2gw&&cid=oi1fileEC0wqW-u1128055567

I checked the difference between Astrodienst's coordinates and the coordinates you list for the hospital and they are almost exact. So there is no benefit in using AW vs. Astrodienst in terms of positional accuracy. However, if you DO want to use AW ;) it works perfectly well, provided you enter the correct information and adjust the link after you click on it. Here is the link to your AW chart, which is almost identical to the Astrodienst chart:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/char...&min=46&lat=39.8&long=85.03&zone=11&e1=0&e2=1

However, due to a flaw in the programming, after you click on the link you need to:
- click on "New Chart"
- Change the Month back to "June"
- Change the Day back to "27"
- Click on "Show It!"

Then you can finally see the CORRECT chart (and NOW I understand what you were talking about when you said "Cancer was at the top": the link to the chart was creating a chart which didn't use the information you typed in!).

I took the coordinates for North and West from your graphic in your original post and I used "EDT" as the time zone.

To figure out what the time zone was, I used the world time zone locator to search for the time zone for a city in Ohio (I searched for "Columbus, OH":
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

I only urge the Astrodienst approach because I was able to get the SAME results on Astrodienst without having to reference anything aside from your birth information and without retyping in your chart information after the link was created! But I never said I was unbiased in my advice-giving! ;)

Using Astrodienst (and LOVING it!) ;) ,

Tim

D

Deja

(((( Thanks Again Tim ))))

You're the first person whose taken the time to help me sort out this discrepancy...that I brought upon myself :)

I'm going to use Astrodienst not only for the time synchronization, but also because it doesn't put any planets "on" the lines, but moves them to the adjacent section. I'm sure that didn't make sense, since I don't even know what it would mean to have a planet "on" the line...lol. But, it makes for less guesswork.

I finally have a trustworthy starting point! You're wonderful!

Smiles,
Deja