PDA

View Full Version : Traditional treatment of the Lunar Nodes?

Moog
02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
In Vedic astrology they put a totally different spin on the nodes, which makes a heck of a lot more sense than the modern treatments I've been exposed to.

What I'm not sure about is what the ancients, hellenistic, persian, medieval or renaissance astrologers made of the nodes.

If any of you have any knowledge in this regard, I'd be grateful if you'd share, or point me to source material. Cheers :smile:

Kaiousei no Senshi
02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
The North Node is seen as a major benefic, anything it touches will be made more beneficial by the NN's presence there. The South Node is the opposite and corrupts everything it touches. The North Node conjunct Saturn would make Saturn less malefic, while the South Node conjunct Saturn would make him more malefic.

Basically, they just serve as points of intensified benefic and malefic energy. They typically serve little purpose on their own, but there are horary aphorisms where the querent is generally done harm by the house the South Node resides in. I don't recall a similar aphorism for the North Node.

Hope this answered your question somewhat.

Moog
02-12-2012, 01:33 AM
That's interesting! Thank you!

dr. farr
02-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Western astrology never put much emphasis upon the Lunar Nodes, although they were recognized; somewhat more emphasis was given to them in horary, but not much at all in natal or event astrology, or in progressions, SR's or profections; an exception to this attitude was Gerard of Cremona (13th century) and also the more occultly oriented Renaissance astrologers (like H. C. Agrippa), who gave much importance to the Nodes; Vedic astrology has always given much importance to Rahu and Ketu (NN and SN respectively); however, while opinion among jyotish has been consistent relative to the SN, there is a great deal of difference of opinion regarding the NN (Rahu). The majority opinion regards the NN as malefic (as well as the SN); however, the minority opinion (among Vedics) is that Rahu is benefic and Ketu malefic in essential quality; this view agrees exactly with that of Gerard of Cremona (Agrippa and other occultist astrologers of the Renaissance period), and I also follow this minority view (among the Vedic adepts) of the Nodes.

An excellent Modernist Western study of the nodes is Judith Hill's "Lunar Nodes" book (available from various internet sites such as astroamerica.com)