The astrology of leg cramps...

Elianah

No, this isn't a medical question. It is an observation on how transiting planets can affect the physical to get you to think about what you are supposed to be working on to keep evolving. :shock: :D

Anyway, on Tuesday morning I woke up with the gastrocnemius muscles in both legs tighter than a tightly wound spring. The gastrocnemius muscle is the superficial muscle in the rear of the calf (between the knee and ankle— the Achilles tendon connects it to the ankle joint). It felt like I had been race walking for days. And the tightness stayed through Thursday. It was finally gone Friday morning.

Now, it had dawned on me sometime Wednesday that, duh :!:, transiting Uranus was probably back to squaring my ASC. Part of the mystery solved. The other duh :!: moment came yesterday when I realized :shock: that ole man transiting Saturn was trining my ASC.

Now anyone who knows mythology can see where this is leading—a battle between Uranus and Saturn. Saturn castrated Uranus. Where is this tête et tête taking place? On my ASC. How to catch my attention? Saturn/Capricorn rules the knees and Uranus/Aquarius rules the ankles. The gastrocnemius muscle connects to the ankle joint via the Achilles tendon and the bottom of the femur bone of the thigh via other tendons, which makes part of the knee joint.

Retrograde square transiting Uranus is wanting me to go deep into my ASC to make radical changes regarding how my ASC projects my core into the world—I believe wanting a more unified, integrated relationship between my core and personality.

Uranus is the "keeper" of the personal unconscious and is wanting me to bring out those shadow aspects of myself that will lead me to being more of my unique self—to a point. If the changes make me too ugly to my core, those things will be hurled back into the personal unconscious, much like Ouranos (Uranus' Greek name) did when he imprisoned the Hecatonchires and Cyclopes in Tartarus, the bowels of Gaia. Only when the Titan Kronos (a.k.a. Saturn) castrated Ouranos were the other children freed from Gaia.

Saturn is the "keeper" of the public conscious and is trying to support the ASC in allowing the transformation of the ASC to take place, give it structure and a form that will assist the public in recognizing the integration of my core with my persona.

Transiting Saturn moves out of orb with my ASC and Uranus configuration just in time to conjunct my natal Uranus and then turns retrograde itself in order to make the ASC configuration again with Uranus direct in January that will lead into transiting Uranus inconjunct my natal Uranus starting in February.

Sounds like I am going to have to get used to leg cramps this winter. :sigh:

Liatris

I am very much into astrology in general as well as medical astrology. But, regardless of what is happening out there and how it is impacting your chart, I learned in theory and practice that leg cramps (generally in gastrocs - posterior calf muscles) are most often due to low tissue calcium. If I do not take lots (as I do not absorb it well) with cofactors vitamin D and boron, I get them nightly - and bad - not just tightness - but full-on spasms/tetany :eek: . No fun. It does work. I have to take about 4 grams daily. Make sure that you take magnesium as far away (time-wise) from your calcium as although both are needed for good health, calcium taken near the magnesium will cause the latter to not be absorbed. Mag in the am and calc in the evening it a good rule.

Liatris

Hi Frisiangal -

The cramps I get do not come about from walking up or downhill - just when lying in bed. Getting them lying in bed is a pretty "classic" sign of calcium deficiency. Not sure about the hiking up or down, though.

Hello Francesca - Magnesium and calcium are both needed by the body and do work together in the body - that is, metabolically they are both essential - it is the actual absorption of the magnesium that is impeded when taken at the same time as the calcium. So, yes, they are both needed to be in the tissues of the body - just not in the stomach for absorption at the same time. My source - oh God, I do not have a reference for you at my fingertips. If it helps, I can tell you that I am a Licensed Nutritionist and have learned lots of things and am not prone to making things up :D It is misleading when companies who produce mineral supplements put both of them in the same tablet. It is because they know people are aware that both are needed and they will sell more if it comes as a combo since most people will feel that it is more convenient (and perhaps cheaper) to take it that way. It is purely a decision based on marketing - for increasing sales, specifically. If I can find a reference without too much trouble :eek: - I will pass it along to you. I can say that Dr. Hans Nieper of Germany(his worldwide repution is quite good ;) ) was ademant about taking them separately but getting both daily.

Liatris

Frisiangal

Hi Liatris,
The 'uphill climb' was also a play on words.:) Saturn inclines us to play safe and stay as/where we are, whilst Uranus wants us to get a move on and change direction, which isn't always easy and looms as a mountain before us. It's the uncertainty of the moment that hits us. That's when Saturn cramp hits the Uranus-ruled calves; imho;)

As a young girl, I used to get regular cramp under the ball of my foot. Disastrous for swimming, of course. A question of sink or swim in more ways than one!! Luckily I was a strong swimmer. I have a natal Saturn-Neptune square. Still get it now and again, sometimes in my toes, at which I walk on the cold tiles or linoleum that relieves the pain. Somehow this has told me that it isn't getting one energy to work against the other that is necessary, but getting both to work together.:D

F.

gemcap

Liatris said:
I am very much into astrology in general as well as medical astrology. But, regardless of what is happening out there and how it is impacting your chart, I learned in theory and practice that leg cramps (generally in gastrocs - posterior calf muscles) are most often due to low tissue calcium. If I do not take lots (as I do not absorb it well) with cofactors vitamin D and boron, I get them nightly - and bad - not just tightness - but full-on spasms/tetany :eek: . No fun. It does work. I have to take about 4 grams daily. Make sure that you take magnesium as far away (time-wise) from your calcium as although both are needed for good health, calcium taken near the magnesium will cause the latter to not be absorbed. Mag in the am and calc in the evening it a good rule.
Liatris, how much calcium do you take? I was prescribed a mega dose once a week for 3 months of vit d and I got very sick after one mega d pill so know I am taking 1600 vit d a day and lots of calcium and 250 mg mag. Didn't know you were supposed to separate them. I do not absorb well either. Do you take chromium?

Gemcap

Liatris

Frisiangal -

Oh, tell me about Saturn and Uranus TOGETHER ! :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

Funny that you should mention cramps of the muscles on the sole of the foot because I have not been taking as much calcium as I need and have been having more foot cramps than calf cramps. Trust me, it is still (in my case anyway) a calcium defeiciency. Next time it happens up your calcium a lot (enough to get it to work) and take 800 ius of D daily and the RDA of boron to hel with absorption.

Liatris:)

Liatris

Hi Gemcap -

I love your avatar - they both seem to really be looking at each other - wow.

I am not surprised that you would not feel well with huge doses and so infrequently. We are meant to get what we need (even if it relatively a lot) daily - not wopping doses weekly.

I need about 4.5 grams of calcium a day. Calcium citrate is just about the most absorbable and least likely to end up deposting in all the wrong places - like clogging blood vessels and in muscle tissue - but rather help it go to the bones and teeth and places it belongs. The calcium in products like "Caltrate" is calcium carbonate and is awful - unless you have really adequate levels of hydrochloric acid in your stomach, you will not absorb it well - studies have shown that it is dangerous with regard to it being deposited in blood vessels. I take magnesium in the am and calcium in the evening. I do take the D (8oo ius) with the calcium - also the rda of boron to help with utilizing the calcium. It is tricky knowing how much mag to take in relation to calcium. If you get too much of one relative to the other it will impede the usage of the one being taken in the too low dose - even when taken at separate times of day. I have distinct deficiency symptoms that I rely on to tell me when I need more of one or the other. Heart arrythmias mean I need more mag and muscle cramps (not twitches - that is mag deficiency) mean I need more calcium. Yes, I do take chromium - the rda daily. It helps keep blood sugar regulated.

Hope you can figure out a good regimine for yourself. :)

Liatris

Frisiangal

Liatris said:
Frisiangal -

Oh, tell me about Saturn and Uranus TOGETHER ! :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

You recognize something in what I wrote, huh ??;)

Funny that you should mention cramps of the muscles on the sole of the foot because I have not been taking as much calcium as I need and have been having more foot cramps than calf cramps.

How's Saturn placed in relationship to your Neptune ? Or to a planet in Pisces, which rules the feet? In my case, it was the kneeling to, and worshipping of idol(s) before realising that they were merely human :) .

Trust me, it is still (in my case anyway) a calcium defeiciency. Next time it happens up your calcium a lot (enough to get it to work) and take 800 ius of D daily and the RDA of boron to hel with absorption.

This is so sad for you.
I remember one of my children's friends had a similar problem when young. In spite of fresh fruit/veg. and nothing sweet, her Saturn-ruled teeth broke like biscuit crumbs, whilst her brother was totally bald (Saturn also rules hair) before his 30's. The family were strict vegetarians; no meat (Mars, but which also rules the molars), and the children were brought up in the then 'new age' style; no disciplinary measures and mum/dad each doing their own thing. I have often wondered if this had any bearing upon their apparent Saturnine problems.

Do you consider yourself a weak or strong person?

I have Moon in Capricorn trine a Virgo Asc. Drink and eat lots of naturally fresh and calcium contained products, little salt and VERY rarely anything from a tin. I have never had to take any form of vitamins and as far as I know, I have never suffered from any calcium deficiency. Guess I must be one of the lucky ones.

F.

gemcap

Liatris said:
Hi Gemcap -

I love your avatar - they both seem to really be looking at each other - wow.

I am not surprised that you would not feel well with huge doses and so infrequently. We are meant to get what we need (even if it relatively a lot) daily - not wopping doses weekly.

I need about 4.5 grams of calcium a day. Calcium citrate is just about the most absorbable and least likely to end up deposting in all the wrong places - like clogging blood vessels and in muscle tissue - but rather help it go to the bones and teeth and places it belongs. The calcium in products like "Caltrate" is calcium carbonate and is awful - unless you have really adequate levels of hydrochloric acid in your stomach, you will not absorb it well - studies have shown that it is dangerous with regard to it being deposited in blood vessels. I take magnesium in the am and calcium in the evening. I do take the D (8oo ius) with the calcium - also the rda of boron to help with utilizing the calcium. It is tricky knowing how much mag to take in relation to calcium. If you get too much of one relative to the other it will impede the usage of the one being taken in the too low dose - even when taken at separate times of day. I have distinct deficiency symptoms that I rely on to tell me when I need more of one or the other. Heart arrythmias mean I need more mag and muscle cramps (not twitches - that is mag deficiency) mean I need more calcium. Yes, I do take chromium - the rda daily. It helps keep blood sugar regulated.

Hope you can figure out a good regimine for yourself. :)

Liatris

Hi Liatris,

Thanks for the comment on the avatar. I really like it. It's me.

I have bone loss and a vit d deficiency. The dr. prescribed the mega dose of vit d but with my reaction to it I didn't take anymore and now take 2000mg daily. I take 2000mg of calcium citrate with d daily and also boron and mag. My routine doesn't seem to be working and I do not want to take fosomax. I will try separating the mag from the calcium and see what happens.

N. Sat is my ruler and is exalted in libra and trines my asc. N. Jup is in pisces. currently T. sat is conjunct my IC and in a few weeks will be conjunct Pluto for about a year.

Any other comments?

Thanks.

Gemcap

Liatris

I can't really comment on the astrology of it but here are a couple of things that have everything to do with whether calcium (and other minerals for that matter) will get absorbed well or not.

If you eat pasturized dairy products - milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. you INCREASE the leaching of calcium from the bones and teeth ! Studies have been repeatedly done showing that to be the case. On the other hand, when unpasturized (raw) dairy products are consumed they allow the calcium to go to the bones and teeth and NOT to the blood vessels, muscle tissue (where they should NOT go)! I have checked this out and it was true. When I had access to raw milk - Idid not even have to take the calcium supplements at all ! I ususally have to take TONS. I had no problem during that time, with muscle cramps at night. That is the symptom that guides me.

THe other thing is that if your stomach does not have the ability to make adequate hydrochloric acid, you cannot absorb calcium well AT ALL. I have that problem. That is why calcium citrate is supposededly absorbed better because the citrate adds some acidity. There is a diagnostic test called the Heidelberg gastric analysis that can determine if your stomach can make enough or any. A bruning feeling in the stomach does not necessarily mean that you have low HCL acid but it can be other useless acids. I tried taking supplemental HCL to increase my ability to absorb calcium - It did not help me as it has been reported to be the answer for some. I checked my hari content of calc before trying it - it was LOW then did a very high regimeine of the HCL for three months and retested - the calcium level was the same !
Trying to approximate what the body does does not always work - real HCl made by the stomach works and the pill just did not do it.

Hope this helps.

Liatris

Frisiangal -

Nah - it is not about my feet - it can be anywhere, feet, thighs, calves - all the spots particularly effected by low cal.

I am unhealthy all the way around despite doing the best I can. Saturn in 6th oppositition moon in 12th don't help ! Give me a square anyday - oppositions are nasty - especially when involving Saturn. Much of my ill health is due to Capricorn on 7th cusp - making my husband Saturn. He is very abusive and the stress has really taken ahuge toll. Too ill to work and leave him. What a nasty chart he has. All sorts of oppositions involving Saturn and Mars, Pluto - every interpretation I have seen on these indicates a violent and cruel and highly impatient and irritable jerk ! It has really manifested so much - I guess it was there waiting to happen.

Yes, you are one of the lucky ones. Enjoy, it - next time around you may end up with some shitty chart ! I heard there was a guy that you could go to - you give him 50 bucks and he changes your chart ! I told that to the famous Vedic astrologer, Chakrapani - did that make him laugh out loud ! If it were really true - and for only 50 dollars ?

Frisiangal

Liatris said:
Frisiangal -

Yes, you are one of the lucky ones. Enjoy, it - next time around you may end up with some shitty chart !

Or maybe I already had it and am working things out this time around?;)

I am so sorry to read of your situation. I sincerely hope for you that a time comes when you can find the energy to stand up, literally and metaphorically, for yourself. I am humbled, as my mountains become molehills again.:eek:

F.

Liatris

Hi Frisiangal -

I am glad to know that there are people enjoying themselves :) - that is the way it should be.

Thanks for the good wishes :) .

Liatris

Howl

Just an observation about pasteurised dairy...from someone who is lactose intolerant!!

Liatris I agree with what you're saying entirely. Super heating milk changes it's essential structure, and kills all the "good" bacteria and enzymes that means people can actually digest it and use it nutritionally. The presence of pastuerised "non milk" in almost every processed food known to humankind is, I am sure, responsible for lactose intolerance, calcium deficiency, etc, etc.

I take a herbal/enzyme digestive, super-dooper acidophilus supplement and calcium/magnesium citrate too (among other things...). The naturopath makes a fortune out of me! I even got B12 injections once, which is meant to help your body utilise and absorb other nutrients and minerals. It made the HUGEST difference the first time I had it!

My advice is: find a good naturopath and trust them, and then figure out how to change your diet in order to reduce need for supplements :D damned sixth house planets!!

Liatris

Hi Howl -

Have you checked out whether you can have raw milk even though it has lactose ? I wonder if it would matter - I mean, it still has lactose. Interesting question.

I appreciate your concern. I am a licensed nutritionist/medical research consultant (when working) and know more than most naturopaths about malabsorption and all things related to my health (not being egoistic, here - it's just true :D , I have done huge amounts of research and investigation worldwide) Not that I know it all - ALWAYS learning. The circumstances that led up to the complex malabsortion problem are umm... complex and I need the absorption problem to be "fixed" and a good diet alone is not doing it - really do need supplements. Even man quite healthy people do.

Please read the bits in earlier posts about taking mag and calcium at the same time. If you read all of them (that mention it) you will see that you should not take them at the exact same time.

Take care,

Liatris