PDA

View Full Version : Terms

Moog
12-12-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't want to cause a ruckus or owt :wink:

But has anyone given some mind to the issue of which set of Terms is preferable.

I've got Ptolemaic, Egyptian and Chaldean now :sideways:

How did the terms even come about?? I understand other sign divisions, they kinda make sense. Anyone feel like schooling me?

Rebel Uranian
12-12-2011, 01:16 AM
I've asked the same thing and received no reply so far. I second this thread.

dr. farr
12-12-2011, 04:00 AM
I have (largely) replaced the various (half dozen) lists of terms by the monomoiria of the ancients, which was and remains the same.
HOWEVER,
...under various circumstances IN HORARY OR KATARCHIC (events) ONLY, I sometimes use terms: no question in my mind, the EGYPTIAN TERMS are the ones to use (various Traditionalists will want to shoot me for this, but I say again, if you want reliable terms use the Egyptian)

JUPITERASC
11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't want to cause a ruckus or owt :wink:

But has anyone given some mind to the issue of which set of Terms is preferable.

I've got Ptolemaic, Egyptian and Chaldean now :sideways:

How did the terms even come about?? I understand other sign divisions, they kinda make sense. Anyone feel like schooling me?
Someone heard you! :smile:

An excellent in-depth schooling thread at http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7029

dr. farr
11-06-2012, 03:23 AM
I myself now rarely use the terms (aka "bounds"), having become much more enamored of the ancient planetary degree "rulerships" called "monomoiria", which system of allocation to degrees also seems to make more sense to me, than the variable allocation of degree-affinities found in the numerous "term" systems (Chaldean, Ptolemaic, neo-Ptolemaic of Lilly, Hindu, Egyptian, and several others as well)
However, I must say that of all the numerous systems of terms, the one I did prefer (before learning of the monomoiria) was the Egyptian system, followed by Valens, Maximus, Firmicus Maternus, Paulus Alexandrianus, and most of the pre-6th century Greco/Roman authors...

Moog
11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm more interested in vargas now, but thank you. I shall take a look.