PDA

View Full Version : Good or Useless Reception?

Rebel Uranian
11-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Sun in Aquarius
and
Saturn in Aries
on a day chart

I know both of these planets are essentially debilitated, and I'm going to leave all the accidental dignity and debility they can receive out of the question for now, but is this a good or useless reception? The only reason I bothered to ask this is because there are 2 receptions here and there's a nice sextile aspect. The Sun is exalted in Aries and Saturn is domiciled in Aquarius, so there's a mixed reception. The Sun rules the Fire triplicity by day and Saturn rules the Air triplicity by day, so there's a triplicity reception.

JUPITERASC
11-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Sun in Aquarius and Saturn in Aries on a day chart..........I know both of these planets are essentially debilitated, and I'm going to leave all the accidental dignity and debility they can receive out of the question for now, but is this a good or useless reception? The only reason I bothered to ask this is because there are 2 receptions here and there's a nice sextile aspect. The Sun is exalted in Aries and Saturn is domiciled in Aquarius, so there's a mixed reception. The Sun rules the Fire triplicity by day and Saturn rules the Air triplicity by day, so there's a triplicity reception.

Whether the particular reception is of any value is - as you have said - dependent upon (a) its essential dignity/debility and (b) whether the two planets concerned are in aspect :smile:

for this particular mixed reception Sun receives Saturn by Exaltation and Saturn receives Sun by domicile which shows the Sun and Saturn to be readily receptive to the other's influence. So what kind of influence is that likely to be?

Sun is in detriment and Saturn is in Fall

A planet in detriment or fall is in a precarious condition, more so if it is peregrine or otherwise afflicted. In horary the use of this symbolism is often remarkably literal and can be used to describe someone who has 'fallen' from grace or is incapable of maneuvering a situation to their advantage. So Sun and Saturn probably have little benefit to convey to each other.

Triplicity paints a brighter picture however! Finding a ruler of a triplicity situated in its triplicity during its period of power is another indication of dignity and strength. Lilly says that it shows a man: modestly endued with the Goods and Fortune of this world. While good, its condition is not as strong as a planet in its own sign or exaltation.

Ibn Ezra compared the situation of a planet in Triplicity to a man in the house of his relatives - his position is not as strong and comfortable as when he is in his own home, and he wouldn't expect to receive the same level of respect as an honoured guest, but he is in a familiar, relaxed environment and so this is considered to be a comfortable position.

Neither Saturn nor the Sun are in their own Triplicity so the above does not apply directly to either planet, but applies via their Mutual Reception by Triplicity

So we could say (using horary terminology to paint the picture) that both Sun and Saturn having somehow "fallen from grace are having difficulty maneuvering a situation to their advantage" BUT nevertheless due to being in Mutual Reception by Triplicity have managed to hold onto some dignity in the sense of being comfortable in each other's environments into which they are able to welcome each other. So one could describe this as Saturn feeling relaxed and comfortable when in Sun's home and Sun feeling relaxed and comfortable when in Saturn's home

So the Triplicity reception backed up by the sextile aspect would appear to be the stronger of the two situations and this is not a useless reception:smile:

sequestra
11-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Wow Jupi, I like the way your mind works!

JUPITERASC
11-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Wow Jupi, I like the way your mind works!
That's kind of you to say so sequestra - nevertheless I got the 'skeleton' of the idea from http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig4.html and worked with it. :smile: