Learning Progressions

holly

Can anyone recommend some good websites where I can learn about Progressed Charts? I'm really interested in this topic, but not too good with Google. Thanks. :)

Frisiangal

holly said:
Can anyone recommend some good websites where I can learn about Progressed Charts? I'm really interested in this topic, but not too good with Google. Thanks. :)

The best way to learn about progressions is to LIVE them. Once you have got a feeling regarding what the natal chart means, you will be able to put this knowledge to use in translating the progressed chart and its effects upon you over a long period of time. Look back over the years to when a progressed planet aspected a natal planet. What happened at that time? Which and how were the house realms experienced? What was the long-term effect on you? That is how to learn about YOUR progressions; not through theoretical ideas that can be applied in hundreds of different ways to thousands of different people.

There is no easy way to 'predict' what is going to happen at any specific time, which is what I think many learning astrology simply want to understand and do, because everything you undergo is going to change your attitude in a way that makes you approach the next event through wisened or closed eyes. If you shy from doing anything at a given time, the next major event will be more difficult to handle. If you tackle an event positively, the next one will seem like a piece of cake.

F.

holly

What you described is what I do for transits. I watch them and see what happens in my life. That's definately a good, practical way to learn, but with the Progressed Chart I think I need a bit more guidance than that, at least to start me off. I don't quite understand what significance it has and how it relates to the natal chart. Do you keep your natal chart qualities, or do those disappear as the planets progress? Has interpreting my natal chart been a waste of time considering that 5 planets have since changed signs?

Frisiangal said:
There is no easy way to 'predict' what is going to happen at any specific time, which is what I think many learning astrology simply want to understand and do.

Actually that's not what I like about astrology or progressions. I have no interest in predicting the future, I just like to learn about what makes people tick, and I like analysing personalities. I'm curious as to how my personality is changing as the progressed chart changes. I've obviously seen myself grow and change, I'd like to see that reflected in the progressed chart.

Thanks for the suggestions, as always I appreciate the help.

Frisiangal

holly said:
with the Progressed Chart I think I need a bit more guidance than that, at least to start me off. I don't quite understand what significance it has and how it relates to the natal chart. Do you keep your natal chart qualities, or do those disappear as the planets progress?

The natal chart qualities represent the 'foundation' that lies within you at birth. As the planetary qualities change signs, you don't LOSE the basics of their character, you BUILD further upon them. Let's say someone has a lot of fire. It's all active enthusiasm but it doesn't actually get things done. It's the earth element that allows this to take place, so when a natal fire planet moves into earth, this quality will find expression in a practical and structured way. If Earth builds upon fact only, it will eventually go through a period where the mental process of Air is influential in bringing about changes to a structured nature. etc.etc.

Has interpreting my natal chart been a waste of time considering that 5 planets have since changed signs?

No, of course not. It symbolises growth within you. Think about what changes took place in the functions the planets symbolise when they changed signs.....AND how this effected your natal Sun's expression!

I just like to learn about what makes people tick, and I like analysing personalities.

We are tarred with the same brush:D

F.

unukalhai

Progressions are hard to learn by experience as they happen so slowly, and tend to deal with the undercurrents and general tones of one's experiences. Unlike transits, which often show surges of energy as well as the peaks and valleys of energetic power, progressions tend to be more graudual, ebbing and flowing in a more graceful manner. They play out over extended periods of time, offering us a variety of chances to understand the meanings of the aspects which form in our progressed chart.

Looking back over previous years of your life can help, but often we don't take accurate notes or really even understand the more subtle undercurrents we experience.

A book I'd recommend on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Secondary-Progressions-Remember-Nancy-Hastings/dp/0877285993

Some web pages you might find helpful:
http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/astroarticles/progressionsinastrology.php
[link to this site no longer valid - Moderator]
http://www.lifepathastrology.com/articles/SolarArcsvsSecondaryProgressions.htm[link to this site no longer valid - Moderator]
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/progressions.html
http://groups.msn.com/HOROSCOPESCHAT/predictiveastrology2.msnw[link to this site no longer valid - Moderator]

The alternative to secondary progressions (which is the most common progression system used) is solar arc progressions, more often called solar arc directions, or simply directions, as this system deals more with directing the planets (at the daily speed of the sun per year) rather than progressing the chart a day for a year. Everything moves at the same speed. The big advantage of solar directions over secondary progressions is the slower planets (for example, uranus, neptune, pluto, etc) actually move. In secondary progressions, the slow planets essentially stay put, and alot of important details are not shown in progressions because of this.

An excellent book on Solar Arc Directions:
http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Arcs-Noel-Tyl/dp/0738700541

A bonus of this book is it includes a midpoint section, revealing the basic idea of the major midpoint pictures and planetary cycles. Midpoints are often used in directions, and work quite well.

The power of directions is in the aspects between the natal and directed chart and sign changes of directed objects. By far, the most important factor in a directed chart is when a directed angle conjuncts a natal planet, or a directed planet conjuncts a natal angle. If you don't use directions for anything else, and dont learn anything else about directions, just the consideration of direction to/from the angles will show you interesting things and major periods of time in a native's life. Simply put, the planet contacting an angle is put on the stage, its power amplified, and its experiences come to the forefront, no matter which angle is involved. Midpoints are also easy to use in this manner.. Just make a midpoint listing of the natal chart, and check your current directed angles, and see if a directed angle matches up with a midpoint in your chart. A planetary pair is activated when a directed angle falls at its midpoint. This is such an easy way to understand what planets and planetary cycles are "hot" in a chart at any given period, and it works too :D

The only catch is an accurate birthtime is required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claire19

Progressions must always be taken along with the natal chart. No aspect that is made by a progression will have effect unless there is similar in natal chart. Transits that have the same sort of aspect at the same time guarantee an event that is felt and recognised. e.g. Natal Sun sextile natal Jupiter, along comes the progressed sun which hits your natal Jupiter as well although not necessarily the same aspect. You will feel the effects in areas that the houses denote that are involved. I agree that you cant really read about this, it must be experienced.

Claire

Have you noticed the 'sticky' at the top of each forum? they are full of information, tips, links and guidelines..:love:

Plus we have a 'recommendations forum' for books, software and other bits.