Which Instrument am I Better Inclined Towards--Flute or Sax?

Arian Maverick

Although I currently have a 26-page Word document of random questions and sabian symbol responses, I try to restrain myself from posting in the Horary Astrology Board on the slightest whim. However, sometimes a particular question comes to me so suddenly and strongly that I cannot help but indulge myself ;)

Background: I currently divide my musical attention between the flute and the saxophone. I will continue to play both instruments regardless of the answer this horary chart yields, but I wish to know which instrument I am better inclined towards.

With Scorpio Rising, I am represented by tenth house Mars in Virgo. I believe this accurately describes the prominance of music in my life, as well as my reputation within the music department, yet I am still unsure which instrument this position best refers to. I believe the saxophone is generally considered to be of a greater martian nature than the flute (i.e. it serves as a bridge between the woodwind and brass sections), yet its position in Virgo seems more indicative of the quiet, more refined nature of the flute.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Although I can't answer this Q as I have no horary experience, I eagerly await the answer to this one, AM. It will be interesting!

freedomlover

Color me ignorant if you will, but I would think there would be some clues to that in the natal chart, as well - as it would describe talent you are born with.

Arian Maverick

Color me ignorant if you will, but I would think there would be some clues to that in the natal chart, as well - as it would describe talent you are born with.

This is a very good point, freedomlover, yet I have combed through my natal chart for indicators of musical ability with only meager success (see the thread Indicators of Musical Talent in a Natal Chart). It seems that many astrologers agree that music is the domain of Venus and Neptune, and both of these planets have essential and accidental debility in my natal chart...

However, my natal moon is loosely conjunct my Ascendant.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Summery Joy

I don't know a traditional way of answering this horary, so I'll try an approach that I personally think is appropriate. I don't guarantee it though because it's the first time I even think about it.

I know that arts are ruled by the 7th house and Libra. Some modern astrologers use the 12th house and Neptune. However, this is not a question of qhether you are talented or not. You are asking about instruments. I believe instruments are issues of the 2nd house.

Based on the above, I'll use the 2nd house to rule the instrument you named first, the flute, and the turned 2nd from the second (radix 4th) as the other instrument, the sax.

Yes, you are signified by Mars in Virgo in the 10th. Let's take a look at the significators of the instruments. Interestingly, the 2nd and 4th cusps are both in signs ruled by Jupiter. I suppose this shows what a close call this is. However, I'd like to differeniate between the two, so I'll use the almutens of the houses.

The almuten of the 2nd and the significator of the flute is Jupiter, while the almuten of the 4th and the significator of the sax is Venus.

I see that Mars (you) receives Jupiter (flute) by sign and triplicity, while it doesn't receive Venus (Sax) at all. Venus, on the other hand, anti-receives Mars by fall and Jupiter by detriment.

I think you are better inclined towards the flute.

OK. Again, that was experimental. Tell me if I have made any sense.

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Thank you for your response, sorehearted :)

I certainly feel an ease of expression with the flute, yet I am having difficulty determining whether this is due to a natural inclination towards this instrument or is simply a result of years of formal instruction and experience.

Perhaps I should mention that this horary question was preceded by musings that I must have been a musician in another life. I have been attending mandatory summer band rehearsals once a week for much of the summer, yet my responsibilities as a senior officer had thus far prevented me from memorizing music at my own time, until this afternoon. I realized with some astonishment that despite any home practice of the saxophone since last season, I was soon able to regain my ability and proceeded to memorize the entire first song in approximately ten minutes.

It is not my intention to brag; indeed, I find myself almost ashamed about how I can neglect my musical studies for so long and simply pick up where I left off, whenever I may choose to do so. This applies to both the flute and the saxophone, for I have determined that I have a special affinity for woodwind instruments--perhaps due to the mutual reception between my Aries Mercury and Gemini Mars. They are both quite near and dear to me in seperate ways, so I suppose it is foolish to deny myself one in favor of the other. However, I am seriously considering studying music in college, and I will inevitably have to claim my specialty.

Therefore, I have consulted horary astrology in an attempt to better understand my inner workings.

This is the symbol I received from the Sabian Symbols' Oracle:

The pyramids and the sphinx.
14º Sagittarius

254__(14°)
SPHINX AND PYRAMIDS STAND, REMAINS OF A GLORIOUS PAST Achievement based on past greatness. Power of the countless dead upon the living. Vast resources in selfhood. Antecedents.

___*When positive, the degree is effective practicality through a gift for bringing real imagination to everyday living, and when negative, ridiculous efforts to fill the shoes of giants.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

FLOWER

hi, sorehearted why 2H for the instrument? if a saxaphone is mars what would a clarinete be? my daughter plays in our local municipal band, we live abroad and she has neptune conj. uranus (associations) in 9H in capricorn. music can't get more serious than in a religious procession in spain.

Summery Joy

Flower,

FLOWER said:
hi, sorehearted why 2H for the instrument?
I use the 2nd house for objects in general. It seemed to fit in this horary.

FLOWER said:
if a saxaphone is mars what would a clarinete be?
I don't understand the question. Why would a saxaphone be Mars? If you're talking about natural significators, I believe both the saxaphone and the clarinet are ruled by Venus as a natural ruler of evrything artistic.