Singing Bowls

Vinyasa

Today I had my first experience with singing bowls full body massage/therapy. [For whom is not familiar, here is an interesting explanatory article]

It was an one hour session, the healer used three different sizes of bowls (with relative different vibrational tones). It took me a minute to relax with it, while the complete deep relaxation effect lasted for half an hour after the end of the session, following which I felt approximately for two hours excessively high energy levels.

I intend to have singing bowls sessions with a healer quite regularly, aiming into achieving better energy balance and improving my meditative techniques - so there is no actual therapeutic need on which to focus. I was wondering therefore whether someone would have any tips (practical or spiritual) or interesting link to share with me, in order to maximise the beneficial effects of these sessions: things to do or things to avoid (the healer advised me already to drink plenty of water before and after the session, as the water works as a physical medium in distributing faster and equally all over the body the energy produced).

Thanks in advance
Vinyasa

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

That sounds absolutely lovely!

I discovered singing bowls a year or two ago, the brass type ones. You can get those lovely crystal ones too.. I bought a couple and learned to play them with the wooden cloth covered hand stick.

I was just wondering if you ever considered buying one and playing it yourself? I used to use the deeper sounding bowl when I sat for meditation, I found it helped me settle into a meditative vibe, then I'd put it down and continue to meditate. My discipline waned but I'm cultivating it again now.

Sorry though, I don't have any links to send to you... hopefully someone will :)

NR

JerryRR

I recommend the following books.

Occult Tibet ,by J.H.Brennan.(Llewellyn)

Kum Nye Relaxation,part 1 and 2,by Tarthang Tulku.(Dharma)

Music.

Music for Sound healing composed by Steven Halpern.

Jerry :)

Vinyasa

Hi,

thank you both for posting.

NR,
thanks for sharing your experience. I think sooner or later I will feel like having my own small set of singing bowls for meditating purposes. But first I would like to let the healer do some work on full body energy balancing.

I do not have health issues at the moment, it is 5-6 months too since I returned to practice my yoga and my full sports routine, however there have been several issues in the past 4-5 years (with joints, nerve blockages etc) which have created energy imbalance on a physical level; and this I would like to restore. The healer spotted immediately some points which create energy blocking (such as the one knee) and I felt most beneficially when she worked with the back of the knees and the full length of the spine - points on which I would not be able to work by myself.

Jerry,
thank you so much for providing some bibliography. All three books seem not so easy to acquire, so I will have unfortunately to take some time there. In case you remember some more, please do post, perhaps I manage to get other titles more easily. Steven Halpern looks at least easier to locate.

Thanks once again,
Vinyasa :)

Piscean Pixie

I love singing bowls!!!I have been to a couple of crystal bowl workshops & actually plan to do the Crystal sound Therapy course in future.Love them :love: