Mars in Dignity and Debility

Arian Maverick

This series of threads was created with the intention of discussing the influence of planetary dignity and debility in natal astrology. Each planet has been designated its own thread and a quick reference sheet of this planet's dignity and debility has been provided.

Dignity:

• Mars exerts rulership over Aries and Scorpio
  • Mars is exalted in Capricorn

Debility:
  • Mars is in its detriment in Libra and Taurus
  • Mars is in its fall in Cancer

Arian Maverick

Nackie

What about Mars in Virgo? I have read, and with a few charts of people I know have also experienced, that Mars is in somewhat of a debility here. From my experience it tends to make very lazy people, or at least that is how the people come across to others. They weigh every action and think about it forever before deciding if the action is worth it or not. Can you confirm this?

BR,
Nackie

freedomlover

Well, my mother, grandfather who raised me, and a significant ex-boyfriend all had Mars in Virgo. I've had several other close friends with Mars in Virgo. Speaking from person experience, I can testify that each and everyone -without exception -were hard workers. They were also each very clean and meticulous. They were all good organizers and very routine-oriented. On the down-side, they all had a tendency to be kinda critical, or very picky about the way they wanted things done. Except maybe my grandfather, or maybe it's because I was young and saw him through rose-colored glasses. I think he had some aspects that tempered his criticalness, though.

It's interesting, too, that I have noticed that even though my Mars in NOT in Virgo, I tend to take on the same characteristics. I wonder if there is such a thing as your planet expression being "conditioned" to take on the aspects of another sign. Could being pretty much surrounded by Mars in Virgo all of my life have caused me to take on those characteristics? Anybody else have this experience?

Anyway, that's my experience. In my opinion, the "weighing things out" part sounds more like Mars in Libra.

Nackie

Hello Freedom Lover,
sorry, I have made a mess of what I wanted to say (again). I have a natal gemini mercury rx, things often tend to come out wrong when I try to explain myself ;)

What I meant was that mars in virgo can become so perfectionistic and so self-critical that they often won't even try to do a lot of things i.e. thinking they won't be good enough. I also think that they want to conserve their energy and paces themselves so that they don't waste their efforts--and this can come across as laziness to others (that's what I meant when I said that is how others may see it). Kind of like not aiming high for being afraid to not be able to reach those goals, and then settling for too little where their talents would be able to take them further.

Didn't mean to tread on anyone's toes...

Nackie

Last edited:

freedomlover

Nackie,

No toes were treaded on here! :D

I do know some with Virgoan energy who are the way you described. However they are Virgo rising. Again, speaking only from my own experience, all the ones with Mars in Virgo did not come off at all lazy. They all seem to really enjoy work, and took great pride in it.

However, talking about the too high expectations and then settling for too little....... THAT sounds like you're describing me to a tee. And I have Mars in Capricorn. I always bite off more than I can chew, and then feel like a failure. So then I don't try anything new, or not trying to aim towards a goal again. I keep telling myself... "Baby steps. Baby steps".

Thanks for bringing up these points, Nackie. I think it is food for thought for a lot of people.

EvilPixyScorp

YaY Mars!

He is my most powerful natal planet(LoG),
so everytime it changes signs in transit, I feel it almost the same day
without fail. (It's in Cap, 1st)

In Cap it uses Saturn to focus it's fire to be productive,
a slow burning, shrewd, tactic nature.
I'm famously shy & non confrontational...But secretly
very competitive to use at the perfect time. ;-)
Why waste powerful energy right?

My friend has Mars in Aqu. conj. her 7th.
She has big time social anxiety, but it's well hidden.
She is very humanitarian, friendly to all types,
loves underdogs, but still keeps a good emotional distance.
Also she's bisexual, favors younger boy/girlfriends.

Howl

Hey, you guys were talking about Mars in Virgo :) That's what I got.

I do want to achieve things with perfection, less so now though than when I was young. I solve this by only ever doing things that I am good at :p. Seriously, its a less than perfect attitude to have (especially given that it indulges my Cappie South Node)! As a child Virgo Mars showed up in everything; studying, saving my money, also being rather shy (Virgo, and Mars, on the 3H cusp). Now you can't see these qualities so readily in me, other things temper them out in most areas of life.

Mars in Virgo might come out to play, say, when I am required to work on a group project. If the people I work with have different quality standards, or simply different priorities about what is to be achieved, I end up having to "let go" of the project after I've contributed my own efforts. The other option is "taking over" the project and auditing the entire thing to my own standard, and I'm not the "taking over" type ;). Fortunately, I currenlty work with a whole bunch of sharp, sharp people who probably have more than just Mars in Virgo. I appreciate their attention to detail, makes me feel like I am learning.

My twin with Virgo Mars in the 2H is hilarious. No faster way to upset him than to get his swanky car dirty after he has paid to have it detailed! For him, the Virgo Mars applies more to his belongings.

Yeah, I think both Virgo and Capricorn may have a tendency to "hold off" if they fear that something can't be done "to (their) standard". I have a Cappie friend, who tends not to "start" life ambitions because the possibility of failing due to lack of personal qualities terrifies him into immobility. The stakes are too high!

Question: I can see why Mars is in detriment in Libra, given that Libra is ruled by Venus and opposes Aries. I suppose it's also in detriment in Venus ruled Taurus, but to me it doesn't seem to be AS detrimental for Mars to be in Taurus. This is just gut feeling - Taurus seems like a sign more capable of Martian efforts, temper, and even conflict, than Libra, which is inherently about resolving such things. What do you think?

Last edited:

pisceskitty

Namaste'

I have Mars in Capricorn conjunct my north node in the 3H. It's square My uranus in the first, Sextile my Sun in the 5th; Sextile Venus in the 5th; Square my Juno...I don't think I use my Mars very much. I spend so much time being afraid of taking chances. I do have a really bad temper sometimes, and I tend to attract men with cappy like traits. Hmmm..maybe Mars in Capricorn makes me more cautious? I wish I could lighten up a bit more! I just don't know how to!

wilsontc

Staff member
Writing, to kitty

kitty,

With Mars (being, also action) in Capricorn (Mars in sign of its exaltation, easy energy) conjunct (energy is combined with) North node (future goals) focused in the 3rd house (thinking, also writing) you might have very strong writing abilities. If you write...most likely you are using that Mars of yours!

Writing of writing,

Tim

freedomlover

Re: Writing, to kitty

Speaking of Mars in Capricorn.....

Mine is also in Capricorn, and conjunct the ASC. It is sextile Saturn in Pisces in 2nd, Trine Uranus conjunct Pluto in Virgo/8th. It is also biquintile my True Node in Gemini in the 5th, and opposing Vesta in Cancer in the 7th, conjunct my DC.

I don't really see anything blocking my Mars energy.... so WHAT IS BLOCKING MY MARS ENERGY?????? I feel that much of my illness, depression, etc, etc, is due to my feeling blocked and unable to make a move.

It is also interesting to note the changes in my Progressed chart, though:
Mars is conjunct Venus within 1*in Aquarius in 12th, still conjunct ASC. Also in conjunction: Pholus and Lilith in Aquarius in the 1st. Mars is opposing Moon in Leo in 6th. It is square Neptune in Scorpio in 9th, and semi-square Ceres in Pisces in 1st. Mars is Biquintile the Uranus/Pluto conjunction in Virgo/7th, and semi-sextile Saturn in Pisces in 1st. That screams "Trapped and hating it!" to me.

Why am I manifesting this???? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

pisceskitty

Re: Writing, to kitty

wilsontc said:
kitty,

With Mars (being, also action) in Capricorn (Mars in sign of its exaltation, easy energy) conjunct (energy is combined with) North node (future goals) focused in the 3rd house (thinking, also writing) you might have very strong writing abilities. If you write...most likely you are using that Mars of yours!

Writing of writing,

Tim

lol...thanks Tim, you do wonders for my little ego! I loooove writing, always have, always will. I'm just scared to let anyone see anything I write. I would love to join one of those writing workshops, I just need to build my self-confidence a little bit more.

I have Mars in the 6th and at work I am a fast worker. I am usually a more feminine personality this might be my emphasis on the feminine signs. But in a work situation especially physical work you will see a competitive female, wanting to complete her work in the fastest time, with a great drive of energy. Pity it hasn't been in my personal life lately.

Shining Ray

Claire19

Mars in Virgo can be a meticulous craftsperson and is more hardworking than not. It sounds like there was a Venus influence if you found lazy people with this. Mars give the drive to health, attending to everyday needs and rituals, pets and can mean a veterinary surgeon for instance. They can get aggressive about having dirty clothes, poor food and shoddy service. They may also run a health food store, work at a restaurant, retail or in housing.
Many avenues!! We must avoid the trap of generalising about one particular placement in a chart. There has to be synthesis with other aspects. This is the amateur comment to say Mars in Virgo person is such and such....

Claire

Claire19

With dignities and debilities as such say for instance Mars in Capricorn is in dignity as they both denote hard work, ambition and goal seeking. Mars in Cancer as the polar opposite is an accidental debility. The house that the planets are in make a big difference. I have Mars in Libra, so debilitated but it is in 8th house, where it is comfortable. It can make the aggressive and selfish Mars more gentle and considerate in Libra. Look at them as like Mars conjunct Saturn in the case of Capricorn and in the case of Libra as Venus conjunct Mars. This gives an overall feeling.

Hope this helps

Claire.

Howl

I've already introduced you to my third house Virgo Mars, so I'll keep this brief. One thing that I DON'T have, which is commonly expected with this placement, is the fastidiousness about how I, or others, are dressed, live, or keep their belongings. At least not to the degree expected. Perhaps it comes from a Sagittarian focus in the 6H. I'm probably a lot less physically organised, tidy, neat or even cleanly than at least some of you ;)

My theory is that it depends greatly upon the house placement of Mars. Having Virgo Mars doesn't automatically make me a rabid housecleaner. (I refuse to own clothes that even need ironing, heheh). The Virgoan energy (disciplined, purposeful, discerning, particular, practical, obliging and yes, perfectionistic) applies to my THIRD house....it plays out in my thinking and writing, mostly.

As I mentioned before, my twin brother, whose Virgo Mars falls in the second house, has a more physical manifestation of the energy. He is multiples more practically organised, neat, tidy and particular about his belongings than I am.

Last edited:

freedomlover

Charmvirgo,

You are so sweet to try to help me with my "stuckness". I notice I'm kind of blowing the same horn as in the other post you went back and answered for me about Cappie ASC - and so, maybe, I can answer some to you on both of these posts.;) (By the way, did you read the "What's the Lesson?" thread? I tried, I really did.)

You seemed to outline very well the issues surrounding my "stuckness". The part about me needing to "sail the sea", instead of the "sea sailing me", REALLY resonates with me. I think I'm much too timid at times.

""Your ruling planet is Saturn, which is placed in Pisces and this predominates over your Mars. You need to find some extra energy and determination, then persist, do not give up. Don't forget that your Mars needs a structured and steady outlet through Capricorn."" (quote)

This really explains alot. It's interesting the subject of "structure" keeps coming up, and I was just praying about it last night. I think my problem is that I can't seem to find the outlet that I need. That would describe my "stuckness". Would the Saturn in Pisces energy not "take the wind out of Mars in Capricorn's sails"??? Or is it an energy of "learning NOT to do", and letting the Universe (Pisces) work instead? Kind of "let go and let God"??? Notice my Mars in not only in Cappie, and not only in the 1st, but conjunct my ASC.? That's a LOT of Mars energy to get things done - so no wonder I would feel miserable when I've been blocked and unable to DO anything for years! I also think the "Persist, and do not give up" represents my fears that if I DON'T do it, then nobody else WILL - no faith. I've said many times that my "believer" doesn't work. But then again, maybe I'm just trying to DO in an area that I'm not supposed to be DOING. But what is the other outlet???

For some reason, as I'm writing this, I keep thinking about all that was said on the "Anne Boleyn" thread - past life stuff? (Not Anne, but the other one) Anybody else have any thoughts on all of this? Charmvirgo? Does my thoughts trigger any thoughts of yours?

freedomlover

Charmvirgo,

After reading all you wrote on this subject, I am even more convinced that one of my problems is that I'm out of touch with what I'm supposed to be desiring at this time.
Also, I feel completely unable to use the creative talents that I long to delve into. Personally, I feel that it is because of a lack of material stability, housing, etc, and anxiety over all the above. My Mars has had to concentrate on survival needs, and my inability to do much about them, or receive them from anyone else. Sigh....

Hey, i've been reading this thread and there hasn't been much information on Mars being in its fall placement Cancer. I have this (in the third house) and would really like to be enlightened on how I might be able to use the mars energies progressively. I understand it isn't exactly fun helping out a complete stranger but whatever you can say would really help!

My mars has many negative aspects aswell, in opposition to neptune, opposition to midheaven, square north node (as is neptune square northnode), square vertex and opposition ceres

It does however form a grand trine with Pluto and juno.

Ironically my ascendant is aries, and therefore I am ruled by mars according to this book in front of me :D

Anyway, if anyone can help me understand how I can adjust or improve my martian energies I would be very grateful! Thx peeps (by the way I just signed up, so greetings all)

astrobhadauria

Mars in 6th (Vigro)
The person is wealthy and destroyer of enemies. One brings fame to one's family. One will be brave, victorious and the slayer of one's foes. One's respect and influence in the state remains. The person will have a sharp hunger, will be strong, belonging to a good family, very strong, slayer of enemies and a police officer. Mars in the sixth bhava makes a person thoughtful, prudent and happy. The native's wealth may be destroyed but it is regained once again. One and one's maternal uncle may fear poison, fire and weapons. One will appreciate people and be the best in one's family. One will be religious and in the company of good people and will be responsible for promotion of one's family members. One will be victorious over enemies, slayer of foes and one's enemies are quieted. One will be honored, famous, victorious and a king. One will be wealthy, prosperous, famous and strong. One will attain fame. One will have the ability to perform work and will have plenty of energy to do work. One will have a son and a daughter in the 27th year. One may posses vehicles and may possess animals, camels : horses. One may have relations with the opposite sex, be infatuated by the opposite sex, perform pious deeds and be very strong. One will have a good appetite and a good digestion. One will mix with cultured people. One will have authority over one's relatives and may be the head of a village or group. One will be attractive and have a broad physique. One will be physically robust and mentally pious. Inauspicious Results : One may suffer from skin diseases and blood related ailments. One will be very extravagant. One may be injured in the waist with a weapon or stone. One may be ailing, angry, wounded, in debt, extravagant and suffering from blood related ailments. One may suffer due to low quality of servants. One may have very powerful enemies but they are unable to stand before him and tend to show their back and run away. One may not be fortunate for one's maternal relatives uncle and aunt etc. One might even be troublesome for them. One is always in a state of anger. One's enemies are calmed down. One will be sensuous. One's sexual desire is acute. One may die in a battle. One may be very short tempered. One may trouble one's maternal uncle. As on officer, if one takes bribes one is not caught. The first or second son expires in the age of accumulating wealth causing great mourning. Before attaining fame, one will have to pass through a lot of struggle. Planetary situations increase sexual desire. There may be a son who may die. There may be ailments related to the chest and lungs. The planetary positions peculiar to this chart generally give auspicious results. Due to some special conditions, the entire results are inauspicious. One may suffer from gastric problems. There might be a fear of enemy, fire and poison.