Venus in Dignity and Debility

Arian Maverick

This series of threads was created with the intention of discussing the influence of planetary dignity and debility in natal astrology. Each planet has been designated its own thread and a quick reference sheet of this planet's dignity and debility has been provided.

Dignity:

• Venus exerts rulership over Taurus and Libra
  • Venus is exalted in Pisces

Debility:
  • Venus is in its detriment in Scorpio and Aries
  • Venus is in its fall in Virgo

Arian Maverick

Manic_Monday

I think there are arguments to discuss the Venus in Leo placement. She's the goddess of love, wealth and sensuality. Leo loves love, wealth, sensuality and all the things that make you look good.

ShadowRain

MM - could be, could be. Ultimately it's such a vast amount of knowledge that one could make an argument for any of the planets in any of the signs and be able to put a decent defence together. Now that could be an interesting experiment - see whether we could make a case of each planet being in dignity or debility in each of the signs. If nothing else, it would make for some really bizarre ideas :)

By the by, does anyone know why the dignities and debilities have been assigned as they are? What was the yard stick used to measure it ... or is it something that we've just taken from the ancient practice as is without question?

Arian Maverick

By the by, does anyone know why the dignities and debilities have been assigned as they are? What was the yard stick used to measure it ... or is it something that we've just taken from the ancient practice as is without question?

ShadowRain,

I am inclined to share your viewpoint that these matters should be understood and investigated thoroughly, yet tonight I discovered an article about sabian symbols that changed my mind:

The justification for a use of these symbolical degrees is that they work. Here is something that baffles people. I remember the story in the Bible of the boy who was cured of blindness. The learned people came to him and said it was impossible. It just didn't happen. The "medical books" said it couldn't be done that way. This, of course, is my own version of the story! The young man in the Bible narrative, who was a simple sort of fellow, remarked: "What you say is very interesting. You are learned gentlemen. I am convinced you are very clever, and know much more than I do. However, all I know is that once I was blind, and now I see." We won't go into a discussion of the symbolical degrees, but content ourselves with the fact that they are something that works.

Arian Maverick

pisceskitty

My Venus is in Pisces, in the 5th house. Venus is also the ruler of my Asc. Unfortunately I have that Venus of mine squaring my Saturn in Gemini in the 8th! My Venus Sextiles my N.node in Capricorn in the 3rd, and Trines my S.node in Cancer in the 10th.

SunMoon

My Venus is in Scorpio, in the 5th house. D = In detriment?...
I've always heard Venus in Scorpio was a good thing. Personally i never believed them how can it be good when V in S is a jealous, possessive kind of love? I'M probably just saying this because i also have Saturn in the fifth house also (but in Sag), but i do really believe what i'm saying.
Now, Venus in Pisces, i agree, IS exalted and a fantastic way to love... selfless, sacrificing (as long as it's in a good way), i would love to have Venus in Pisces.

Last edited:

The_Sundance_Kid

The good- Venus in the 12th house, accidentally dignified
The bad- Venus in Scorpio, in detriment
The ugly- Venus conjunct Pluto- I don't want to talk about it

Do you think the house dignity outweighs the detriment? How does a detriment/ dignity combo work, I'm sure lots of you must have some. I see it as a tainted combination. There is much good either on a personal or social sphere and yet alot of pain in the other one. Eg I get lots of compassion for other people and from other people, but lots of pain personally from another person, and I think I probably give pain to another person.

How does this thing operate in your charts?

The_Sundance_Kid

I'm not so sure about the nature of the planet Venus. People seem to associate it with Libra alot more than with Taurus. I see it as more Taurean, and hence as more materialistic. A lover of substance and beauty, relaxation and ease. It is less to do with other people and more to do with the physical world. Hence in Pisces it is exalted as a love of the non-physical- the hardest task for Venus. It is also love of everyone, without fear of being alone- the hardest task for Libra.

SunMoon said:
My Venus is in Scorpio, in the 5th house. D = In detriment?...
I've always heard Venus in Scorpio was a good thing. Personally i never believed them how can it be good when V in S is a jealous, possessive kind of love? I'M probably just saying this because i also have Saturn in the fifth house also (but in Sag), but i do really believe what i'm saying.
Now, Venus in Pisces, i agree, IS exalted and a fantastic way to love... selfless, sacrificing (as long as it's in a good way), i would love to have Venus in Pisces.

I don't like this business of dignities and debilities. It seems deterministic. But I also have Venus in Scorpio -- it is the ruler of my Libra rising horoscope -- and think that you've put your finger on the heart of Venus detriments (if not other debilities as well) -- they create problems with self-image and self-relationship. So maybe with Venus in Pisces you'd feel good about your love nature. I don't know if Pisces Venus actually express themselves with more loving.
Which might correspond to the debility/exaltation stuff coming out of the Arian age.. Can't remember who wrote on that topic, but it made a lot of sense

holly

SunMoon said:

In theory. Venus in Pisces has made me so helplessly empathetic that there are no boundaries between my reality and anyone else's. Other people's pain and suffering are my pain and suffering. I find it impossible to "switch off" and seperate myself. It's an exhausting way to live.

eonechoes

holly said:
In theory. Venus in Pisces has made me so helplessly empathetic that there are no boundaries between my reality and anyone else's. Other people's pain and suffering are my pain and suffering. I find it impossible to "switch off" and seperate myself. It's an exhausting way to live.

Same with me. But I also think it's honestly the proper way to live, so it pays off. :D

Mine is in the 10th house squaring my Gem Asc and trining my Sco Pluto. I think it has a lot to do with my inability to consider careers that are not helping the less fortunate. My Mercury is also there and my Sun is in my 11th (both in Pis) so I've decided to write (Mer in 10th) about other people and current events (Sun in 11th) in order to ease suffering for others (Ven in 10th). I think journalism will be fitting, right? :D

As far as relationships are concerned I dive right in. Sometimes before they even fill the pool - not a good idea. ;) But I've had some great relationships thus far and I'm only 18, so you give and take.

Last edited:
My partner has his Venus in Libra, he had a terrible marriage. Full of lies, cheating, arguments. But his Venus is conjunct Pluto and square to Saturn. I can't see how Venus can feel so comfortable with these aspects even though she is nicely placed by sign. I would think it would make his Venus feel worse being in the sign of Libra and not having a love life which goes smoothly. Venus in Libra needs to be romantic, and loves to be in love. Personally I think he would be much better off having a mean Venus like mine ;) I have my Venus in Capricorn (I need some anti-freeze on this Venus :D .) But I find it works out fine for me, my love life has not been smooth, and I have had plenty of trouble in love, but I am a lot tougher emotionally than my partner.

stellab

I have Venus in Virgo, I guess it's fall? But in the natal it's trine to Jupiter, conjunct Mars and Mercury and MC and if anything I don't find natal Venus in Virgo too troubling or debilitating. Sometimes, it makes me seek perfection in relationships and set high standards, but the aspects to Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury balances much of it out, so I'll give in/surrender happily to what Venus wants! Just from my experience, the aspects really help lift my Venus to a better place. Operating alone, I'm not sure what it would be capable of, but the connections (aspects) it makes natally seems to function pretty well.

Sag Moon

I do not knoww weather I have mentioned it in this thread or another ,but the Benefics can be cut a lot of slack as to their Debilities and Falls as they seem to do good in just about any sign from what I observed.

I have Jupiter in Cap and Ve in Taurus and think that they will find a way of bringing good fortune in whatever sign they are placed. If they are conjoined by a Malefic that is another story altogther.

JMO

Lissa

I have a detrimental Venus in Aries,tightly conjunct the IC and ruling the opposite house(MC in Libra).Venus does have a lot to do with art;my artistic abilites are absolutely non-existent,I can't dance,sing or act and,as for playing instruments,the only thing I can do is play 'Old MacDonald Had A Farm' in my sister's make-believe piano:eek: ..Needless to say,I never felt lucky in love too,I'm one of those teenagers who feel they're gonna die alone in a house full of cats LOL.On the other hand,Jupiter,the other benefic,is in it's triplicity of Leo,going Retrograde but in an angular house(the7th),which kind of makes up for that badly placed Venus.I can't say I'm unlucky,I've always felt protected my entire life,yet,I never had one of those spectacular life-changing moments that you feel you're going to remember for the rest of your life.So the really dark stuff passes through me without getting me,but the amazingly good things do the same.Anyway I can't complain.

Last edited:

starlink

Hé Lissa, my Venus is also in Aries but in the 5th!!!(Radu, remember passionate, sensual etc.?!) and trine Pluto, ruler of my Ascendant. My Venus is conjunct Mars!!:eek: Talking about LOVE!! I used to fall in love every other day, just terrible. Actually they were more like electrifying attractions .Mars is exactly sextile Uranus in 7.(I was at that time still very much in love with my ex. so I did not follow up on them). I am a Taurus, so I am very loyal, but at those moments I was scared I would do something silly;)
I am not young anymore (in years) but inside I am afraid I will never be old and most certainly not when it comes to LOVE and PASSION!!:sunny:

Last edited:

Sag Moon

I have found that the Benefics seem to are going to give the person good things no matter where they are in the zodiac. It's the aspects that are made to the planet that is going to determine how well the energy behaves.

The Malefics I think are going to create some form of hardship at the same time.

I have Ve=Taurus Ma-Aries Sa=Cap Ju=Cap so 3 or 4 are in their rulerships one in it's Fall.

Lissa

starlink said:
Hé Lissa, my Venus is also in Aries but in the 5th!!!(Radu, remember passionate, sensual etc.?!) and trine Pluto, ruler of my Ascendant. My Venus is conjunct Mars!!:eek: Talking about LOVE!! I used to fall in love every other day, just terrible. Actually they were more like electrifying attractions (I was at that time still very much in love with my ex.). I am a Taurus, so I am very loyal, but at those moments I was scared I would do something silly;)
I am not young anymore (in years) but inside I am afraid I will never be old and most certainly not when it comes to LOVE and PASSION!!:sunny:

This is so funny,I can clearly see myself in your words!I'm kinda boy crazy,when a cute boy crosses my way I start dreaming of him and start thinking about our marriage and how our life together would be-that until a new hot guy crosses my way:p!I'm very loyal too,when a guy shows some interest in me I stick to him and then it gets hard to forget him.

Sag_Moon,interesting what you say about the benefics!Sorry to say it but I don't know if it works though,love is the hardest aspect of my life,everything else is fine but not love,I can rarely get a boyfriend!My current love life is unexistant-all the magic happens in my dreamy Pisces mind.