Left-handedness

What causes it?

I am left-handed and was thinking that because I have mercury (ruler of arms, hands) squaring Uranus, that this has caused this.

franklin taylor

Hello,
In all the natal astrology I have read I have not seen this being even addressed. May be possible, my brother is left handed and his Mercury and Uranus are in opposition. Information I have read about these two planets in malefic aspects like this are nervous tension, sudden outburst of nervous energy, suicide, anxiety, nerve strain and a proneness to mania. It is more likely in squares than other malefic positions. Back in the nineties their was a school of thought, even with some observed evidence that all left handed fetuses were actually twins in their early stages of development and the left handed twin absorbed (or ate) the right handed one. I'm not joking. Very odd and it was supposedly observed by ultrasound a few times. Now that would be an unexpected(Uranian) event for the right-handed person. But since they were not born yet it has nothing to do with their Astrology.
Take Care
Franklin

Howl

I'm wondering why left handedness needs to be 'caused'. We all have a left and a right hand isn't it natural that some of us should use one or the other more deftly? In fact I'm sure that there will be more left handed people growing up now that fewer parents feel the need to "correct" natural use of the left hand.

I'm right handed, which is lucky, coz I've only got four and a half fingers on the left ;)

Howl, true that there will be more left handers. They say that only 10% of the human population is LH and it is genetic. I know that mum and my paternal grandad are both LHers naturally but due to convention, they were made to use their RH.

Just throwing out a theory; probably doesn't equate in this case maybe.

Manic_Monday

I was just thinking about this the other day!
My parents are both righthanded, and so are my grandparents. My two sisters are also righthanded. I'm the only lefthanded in the family.
I don't have a Mercury - Uranus aspect. Maybe it's my first house Uranus.

Lunar Pisces

I don't think we should look at malefic aspects as an indicator of left-handedness, since left-handedness isn't a defect, as has been long assumed by many cultures. It's a difference, that's all. If we resort to using inaccurate cultural biases and forcing astrological conclusions to fit them, then astrology would then indeed be a psuedo-science, as its critcs so often claim.

I personally have failed in finding an easily deduced commonality among left-handers. Sun signs vary widely, as do most other factors, such as aspects to Mercs or Merc placement/dignification. I had the most success with Mercury in mutable signs, regardless of sign sign. However, even that isn't entirely consistent, just fairly common. Most notably I was able to find frequent occurences of left-handedness in Cancers with Gem Mercs and Aquas with Pisces Mercs, although not all Gem and Pisces Mercs I looked at were lefties. Lefties with Sag and Virgo Mercs seemed common too, but I also found several lefties with Cancer, Leo and Libra Mercs as well.

Then there was other variables that tend to complicate this matter. It appears less and less than peeople are simply right or left handed, but are on a broad spectrum that includes a number of possiblities. People who think themselves right handed, for example, may be more lefthanded than they assume, simply because they've never trieds to develop their lefthandedness as they have their right, and vice versa. Then's there's the obvious variations. I'm a Gem Sun with a highly dignified Gem Merc, but I'm not left-handed - I'm ambi. Granted, gemini is associated with ambidexterity, but it appears that most Gems are not ambi nor most ambis Gems. There's also a condition called "mixed handedness" which is often assumed to be ambidexterity, but it's a little different: in mixed-handedness, the brain assigns different tasks to either hand. So rather than being able to do most tasks with either hand, as with an ambi, a mixed-handed person may, for example, write with the right while using the left for opening doors or using keys. I had insufficent data on people with either apparent ambidexterity or mixed-handedness (mostly because people with either of this don't always know exactly what they have and resign to the role of a right-handed person), so I wasn't able to begin to hypothesis on this.

Last edited:

Katles

My mum has Mercury square Uranus and she is left handed, she also told me she was a twin but it died in her mums womb.

I also have Mercury sqaure Uranus, I write with my right hand but I hold a fork, hair brush, wash cloth...etc with my left!

Manic_Monday

My mom has Mercury square Uranus and she can write with right and left.
I asked my sister if she could write with both hands, since she has a Gemini and 3rd house stellium. Yes, she can. She doesn't have Mercury - Uranus aspects.

edsjunr

I'm a gemini, with a huge stelium at my 11th house.
Also my mercury and stuff has trines with neptune and uranus in aquarius, but they are also oposite to my pluto in sagitarius at house 5.

I'm not exactly left-handed, not by birth. My strongest house is the 11th, so i have a lot of aquarius energy on me.
I changed my hand at everything i do, but now my hand writing is better with my left hand, i don't know if i'm ambidextrous by birth, because i could not use my left hand this well before, and my father and brother did the same thing and i did not know about that, nobody knew, so this shows a genetic thing of learning to use your non dominant ( idk if ambidexterity is like that, i think it is because we cannot be born and automatically know how to do stuff, it only happens with practice)
I switched my dominant hand because i have a fascination at the image of being someone different, rare.. idk.

doublecrossed74

I have Mercury opposite Uranus and am left handed, Jimi Hendrix and Curt Cobain also have that aspect and play left handed, even though Curt Cobain is a right hander.

aniyas

I write and draw left-handed, but mandatorily do everything else with my right (cultural). No mercury-uranus aspects. Sun and Merc Scorpio. Any correlation between right-left chart hemispheres and handedness?

Starsareround

Hey there, if we are talking dominant handedness, we shouldn’t forget about the lesser known but just as interesting EYE dominance. You can all determine your eye dominance by making a circle out in front of your face with your hands. Look through the circle and locate a point of focus with both eyes open. Now close one eye and keep focusing on target. Open that eye and close the other. When one eye is open and focusing your focal point should look much the same as with both eyes open. The other eye only open should make your focal point “move”

Anyway, as with hands, the vast majority of people are right eye dominant. If you are left eye dominant but right handed (cross dominant) that ensures that your creative side is stronger than your typical right handed person. I think eye dominance is particularly important for visual artists.

I have known a lot of left handed people, and yep Aquarius and/or Uranus seems to be strongly in there somewhere

Last edited:

GemwDepth

Account Closed
Just a theory I have: Saturn is a conservative, structuring force, and counteracts the Uranus energy.

Mercury aspecting Uranus with no Saturn aspects may be left handed.

Mercury aspecting Uranus with Saturn aspects stays right handed.

Mom has Mercury square Uranus, but it conjuncts Saturn. She's right handed.

How does everyone else play out?

Oddity

Dark charts, with both lights under the horizon, tend more to left-handedness than a chart with one or both lights above the horizon. Don't know why, but it does seem to have quite a bit of prevalence.

petosiris

Banned
What causes it?

I am left-handed and was thinking that because I have mercury (ruler of arms, hands) squaring Uranus, that this has caused this.

Mercury rules the hands, the Moon rules left-handedness, the Sun rules right-handedness. Leo Rising, Saturn and Moon at 24 Capricorn, Mercury at 29 Aries. Since the Moon was waning and conjunct Saturn to the degree and upon the tenth relative to Mercury, the native was left-handed.

CapAquaPis

My Mercury in 9th Pisces explains my bi-dexterity (right hand more useful than my left) and there's a sun/moon conjunction in 8th Aquarius, plus Cancer ASC. I see myself as a double-Aquarian with great crab claws flying above the sea. (I just came up with a Mercury in Pisces joke) :lol: