question on the Moon

Serendipity

The moon drives the chart correct? I mean it signifies what's going on basically. The moon opposing mars which I think is referred to as malefic means what in a chart? (its applying) moon is in cancer in the first house and mars in cap exactly on the descendant.....

Serendipity

to shed some more light on the chart and my question about it....
the moon is the significator of the querent and saturn the significator of the quesited. Although the moon in the first is making an applying sextile to saturn in the 4th, the moon will oppose the sun (7th) exactly first ......does that mean there is an obstacle in the way? am I reading this right?

archergirl

I'm not quite sure what your question is here...:confused:

The Moon is the vehicle of a horary chart, but you have to look at the whole chart to get the picture. The Moon separating from an opposition to Mars can mean several things, one of which is a fight. An applying opposition to the Sun (in other words, a Full Moon) is not a good sign in a horary chart, as it signifies stress and upset.

AG:)

triplecancer

AG, but if the two significators are in applying aspect and both dignified, wouldn't that be positive? Isn't the aspects between significators more important than aspects between other planets? what does saturn retrograde mean here? Maybe the person wants to come back? The last aspect the moon makes before changing signs is this sextile to saturn retrograde, does this mean they will make up or end things? I'm not sure if retrograde is good or bad.
Maybe the moon (you)opposition mars (separating) means there was a fight and moon (you) opposition sun means that you're still upset.
I am very new at horary so I don't know if I can be helpful.

cassanra

As I understand it the focus should be on the aspects between the querant and the quesited.
Louis Anthony states on page 86 of Horary Astrology Plain and Simple
"
As the fastest moving body, the moon represents the general climate and routine changes surrounding the question.....The final aspect the Moon will make before changing sign shows the general conditions of the outcome of the matter. The specific outcome is shown by the significators.....Some astrologers overemphasize the significance of the moon in Horary. I agree with Jones the the role of the horary moon is secondary and adjunctive. Jones describes the Moon as "the special distributor of the more trivial indication in any given reference"

In the case as mentioned above, the moon is a significator as ruler of the first. If it is in applying aspect to the querant, if it is Saturn retrograde than we can say there is a mutual application which is positive. With out the chart though we can not see what house Saturn occupies. Moon opposing mars may imply an argument. Sun and moon in opposition is a separating influence, see what house the sun rules. This may give meaning. I pulled up a chart that was some what confusing and similar but the sun was the quesited and I was Saturn which is forming an applying trine but the moon hits the sun in opposition. If we use the moon simply as described above by Anothony we can see too the course of your question but the main answer lies in the relationship of the moon (if cancer rules the first) and Saturn.

archergirl

I would disagree with both Anthony and Jones as to the importance of the Moon. All the ancient astrologers: Lilly, Bonatti, Morin, etc., placed special importance on the Moon and its function in a chart; and it was hardly secondary or used for the trivial, superficial incidents of a chart! It can show the emotional state of the querent, the true focus of a question; because people usually do not ask horary questions when they are happy and contented. It carries the weight of the question, and shows both what has already happened and what may yet happen. Hardly trivial.

AG, but if the two significators are in applying aspect and both dignified, wouldn't that be positive?
Not if they are applying by opposition. An opposition is very seldom a favourable aspect, especially when emotions or relationships are involved. When dignified, two planets in opposition can simply show two people who are unwilling to back down; imagine two well-equipped armies eyeing one another from across a battlefield. The fact that there is what we could term 'negative' reception between Mars and the Moon only amplifies this: Mars occupies the sign of the Moon's detriment; the Moon occupies the sign of Mars' fall. Not friendly at all. The applying aspect would indicate things soon to come to a head. A separating aspect would show that the disagreement had already happened; and then we would look to other significators to see whether there is resolution or simply more strife.

It's my own personal opinion that wondering how someone else feels about you is best solved by simply communicating with that person with an open heart. Where there is no communication, there can be no resolution; and without resolution one is likely to carry around extra pain that isn't necessary. Throwing in the towel is a personal choice, but can also represent a form of cutting off your nose to spite your face if there hasn't been communication with the opposing party beforehand.:)

Here's a good article from Skyscript on the Moon with some excellent examples of the importance of the Moon to horary.

Last edited:

Serendipity

What would the significator Saturn retrograde in the 4th mean? I was reading somewhere that significators in 1, 4, 7 and 10 houses are stronger.

I've already tried to communicate and got an answer that everything is "ok". This is not the impression that I have by their words and actions though. I know why the Sun and Moon are in an applying opposition now. I'm no longer willing to back down or make amends.

Last edited:

archergirl

A retrograde significator can indicate a change of something: heart, plans, ideas. In a common sign (mutable) it can indicate swiftly changing circumstances. I wouldn't count on whatever or whoever is signified by Saturn, to remain fixed.

I guess the thing to remember is that people either get over it, or they don't; whatever they do, it has nothing to do with you and your universe, and has everything to do with theirs. Usually when people are given enough space, they'll get over it sooner or later.:)

Serendipity

Thanks Archergirl. I've decided it's no longer worth the effort to talk to "saturn" lol. I think the retrograde speaks volumes. Horary does work!
Can you give me some other links on how to read a chart?

archergirl

There are a whole bunch of links under the horary article on the Education Board, here. The best site, IMO, is the Skyscript site, which gives you an excellent and solid education in traditional horary reading.