About parallels and contraparallels

Lykanized

Ok, so I'm looking at my chart info from astrodienst which I'll add here too. I'm trying to understand what parallels and contraparallels are. Are they the same energy as conjunctions and oppositions? What is the orb allowance for parallels and contras? And another question I have is if we look at houses as well as planets and their declinations. For instance, my moon is at 2 degrees, 7 minutes, and 35 seconds and my 2nd and 8th houses are at 2 degrees, 31 minutes, and 33 seconds. Would that make my moon parallel my 8th house and contra my 2nd and would that have any real meaning?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 5.06.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 5.06.52 AM.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 24

Lykanized

Jupiter Moon, Sun Venus, and Pluto Mars would be the most likely to show traits in you.
Are these similar to conjunctions and oppositions? I read one thread that said they may even be stronger, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Maybe it's all something that has to be gathered intuitively

Whoam1

Are these similar to conjunctions and oppositions? I read one thread that said they may even be stronger, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Maybe it's all something that has to be gathered intuitively

Not stronger. These aren't actually proven aspects either, rather theoretical. Contra-Parralel are more likely to work in theory (talking to other astrologers).

JUPITERASC

Jupiter Moon, Sun Venus
would be the most likely to show traits in you.

Are these similar to conjunctions and oppositions?
I read one thread that said they may even be stronger, but I'm not sure
if that's true or not.
Maybe it's all something that has to be gathered intuitively
dr. farr has studied astrology for more than fifty years :smile:
and has the following comment
Parallels of (celestial) latitude are also listed on the astro.com horoscope pdf's; they were also used in ancient times (eg, by Firmicus Maternus), and I sometimes use them as well; but I believe the emphasis should be on the Parallels of declination in delineative analysis, and give the P of decl most importance...

In my opinion, a Parallel in declination (= to a conjunction in longitude effect) SUPERCEDES the square in longitude influence, or, at the very least, greatly reduces the influence of the longitudinal square. However, if the Parallel is more than 1.5 degrees, it would be out of orb and probably not effective.

IleneK

Premium Member

Not stronger. These aren't actually proven aspects either, rather theoretical. Contra-Parralel are more likely to work in theory (talking to other astrologers).

If you want to know about declinations and the extent to which they have been demonstrated to influence like the traditional aspects, here is the best comprehensive source on the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Declination-...1525107085&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27:Kt+Boehrer

My understanding is that a close, within a degree, parallel influences like a conjunction, and that it is especially potent when the two bodies aspect by longitude as well.

The contraparallel is considered somewhat less influential, like the opposition is less influential [literally] than the conjunction.

Last edited: