Having houses in ruling signs...

AquaScorpio

So I'm an Aries ascendant, which of course means all of my houses are in their ruling signs. Is this a favorable thing or does it have little to no effect on a chart? Also, I have my Scorpio Mars in the 8th house in Scorpio but I'm wondering if that's favorable too...I personally feel it conflicts alot with my stacked 11th house in Aquarius (Sun (Aqua), Mercury (Aqua), Venus (Aqua) and Jupiter (Aqua))

Thoughts...?

cassanra

It does make things easier to read in the books having a rising sign in aries too....I don't have to mentally manipulate the info as much...:)

elnu

Two points. Firstly, it depends on the house system you're using. If you're using Equal Houses, then there'll be Aries on the cusp of the first, Taurus on the second, etc. However if you're not using Equal Houses this match-up is not a given, though it rather depends on your latitude and which degree of Aries you have as your ascendant.

Secondly, signs and houses are not the same thing. They're similar, but by no means the same. The signs are more symbolic, and more abstract. They also provide rulership and essential dignity. The houses, by contrast, are more about the details of our everyday life.

For example, the Sixth House is connected with small animals. Virgo is not. The Twelfth House is connected with bedrooms, Pisces is not. The Eighth House is connected with legacies, Scorpio is not. And neither is Scorpio connected with death, except in a very spiritual way (eg transformation, snakes shedding their skin, etc).

While I understand that making the house-sign connection can make it easier to learn astrology, in my opinion it's not a good habit. Though I suppose if you do a lot of horary or Vedic astrology you quickly learn the difference between signs and houses.

AquaScorpio

Well I do understand what you are saying and I know the houses are like "factors" of your life, and that the signs are how you approach these factors or how they affect you and vice versa. I didn't really mean favorable over other signs, I more meant that it makes the most sense (such as 1st house in Aries, the house of "self" and Aries being a pretty self-centered sign)

And in your opinion, which house system is best to use? By best I mean most accurate (coming down to degrees, not just "rounding" or approximating)

elnu

Like most Western astrologers, I use Placidus for natal astrology. For horary astrology I use Regiomontanus - because I'm a traditionalist, and that's what I was taught.

Genera

elnu said:
Like most Western astrologers, I use Placidus for natal astrology. For horary astrology I use Regiomontanus - because I'm a traditionalist, and that's what I was taught.
I'm intrigued by your use of Regiomontanus for Horary charts. I know you said you use it 'because you're a traditionalist...' but am wondering if there are any other particular reasons? I use Horary charts frequently and have always used Placidus or Topocentric for these, but would very much like to know if you feel that Regiomontanus describes an Horary Chart in some specific way. (Will try it out). Thanks.

rogue_red

elnu said:
Two points. Firstly, it depends on the house system you're using. If you're using Equal Houses, then there'll be Aries on the cusp of the first, Taurus on the second, etc. However if you're not using Equal Houses this match-up is not a given, though it rather depends on your latitude and which degree of Aries you have as your ascendant.

Secondly, signs and houses are not the same thing. They're similar, but by no means the same. The signs are more symbolic, and more abstract. They also provide rulership and essential dignity. The houses, by contrast, are more about the details of our everyday life.

For example, the Sixth House is connected with small animals. Virgo is not. The Twelfth House is connected with bedrooms, Pisces is not. The Eighth House is connected with legacies, Scorpio is not. And neither is Scorpio connected with death, except in a very spiritual way (eg transformation, snakes shedding their skin, etc).

While I understand that making the house-sign connection can make it easier to learn astrology, in my opinion it's not a good habit. Though I suppose if you do a lot of horary or Vedic astrology you quickly learn the difference between signs and houses.

Im not sure I agree with your take on this question.
Firstly, the ascendant sign is generally regarded as the ruler of the first house so in logic it would stand to reason that aquascorpio would have their houses in ruling signs especially considering aqua mentions having 8th house in scorpio. Yes there are exception but I generally assume that the querent knows what houses are in what signs.
I dont think the sign house association is simply for the beginner as an aid to learning astrology. They reflect the nature of the house. Aries is the new born babe, Aries rules the first house because this is where our ego begins, our identity. Although the sixth house is connected to small animals it is more pertenant to relate the sixth house to health, diet, work, servitude. All these are very much the Virgo traits. You say the 12th house is connected to bedrooms and Pisces isnt. Thats quite a leap! The twelfth house is the subconscious mind, the intangible and institutions, Pisces being the most highly evolved sign is strongly reflected in the 12th house. And scorpio is very much connected to death, both physical and spiritual. Basically scorpio is the process of regeneration reflected in the sex-birth-death-reincarnation cycle or conception-realisation-destruction-transmutation. The eightht house represents all of this ( a legacy is by definition money or property bequethed by will at death, this is why joint resources are here).
The houses are called houses for a reason...because the signs live there. Aries is very much at home in the first house and 'decorates' it accordingly.

yours 'at home'

Rogue

rogue_red

AquaScorpio said:
So I'm an Aries ascendant, which of course means all of my houses are in their ruling signs. Is this a favorable thing or does it have little to no effect on a chart? Also, I have my Scorpio Mars in the 8th house in Scorpio but I'm wondering if that's favorable too...I personally feel it conflicts alot with my stacked 11th house in Aquarius (Sun (Aqua), Mercury (Aqua), Venus (Aqua) and Jupiter (Aqua))

Thoughts...?

Hi Aquascorpio. In my humble opinion it is neither favorable or problematic to have your houses in their ruling signs. You could say that the houses are in harmony when couple with their ruling signs. You will notice this less in empty houses than those occupied by planets or those with angles.
I think it was Tim who said when speaking of delineating a chart that "the planets are modified by the sign and reflected in the house" So it stands to reason that a planet (say sun for example) modified by the sign (aquarius) reflected in the 11th house (reflected in an aquarian manner ie friendship).
Thats a very simplified delineation but you get my point. Having the houses in their ruling signs means the planets are modified/reflected in the same manner. This intensifies the planets effect (eg very aquarian instead of aquarian):)

rogue

wilsontc

Staff member
focus, to rogue

rogue,

You said:
rogue_red said:
I think it was Tim who said when speaking of delineating a chart that "the planets are modified by the sign and reflected in the house"

Thanks for the mention! :) The word "reflected" is an interesting way to describe the sign, planet, house relationship, but it is a little different from the way I talk about it. I always say the "astro-sentence" is: SIGN modifies PLANET focused in HOUSE (more about this in Step 5 in the link below this post).

Keeping it simple,

Tim

elnu said:

Well i teach, lecture and public speak on Equal house system, it is the oldest and most reliable and traditional of all the house systems, But am bit bias hon.

No substitute for study then, see which resonates and works for you hon.

Last edited:

rogue_red

Re: focus, to rogue

wilsontc said:
rogue,

You said:

Thanks for the mention! :) The word "reflected" is an interesting way to describe the sign, planet, house relationship, but it is a little different from the way I talk about it. I always say the "astro-sentence" is: SIGN modifies PLANET focused in HOUSE (more about this in Step 5 in the link below this post).

Keeping it simple,

Tim

I apologise for the misquote:eek: I remembered it because it was such a simple sentence and Im a simple girl at heart.:D

simply red

Rogue