Anyone know what the Novenarium Lunae and Duodenariam Lunae is?

obsidianmineral

I believe this was mentioned here by dr.farr or some other astrologer here. How does this affect a chart and judgment? This is what Bonatti says about both:

"The 87th is to Consider, Novenarium Lunae, which is a thing much to be heeded, for it often hinders the Astrologer from discovering the truth, and leads him into error, not knowing the cause that makes him deceive."

"The 89th is to Consider, The Duodenariam Lunae, a thing that is observable in many cases, even more than divers things that we have said; for there is greatest danger of mistakes in abstruse considerations, and such as Astrologers rather sloth than ignorance, do not regard; whereby they often fall into disgrace and contempt of the rabble, rather than take a little pains"

This is hinting at the fact that this is widely overlooked but even so it's of much importance, and therefore it needs to be heeded in every judgment.

Answering your thread question, Novenarium Lunae is a ninth-part of the Moon. It covers 3°20' of each sign. So in Aries the first Novenarium (ninth-part) is Aries, then Taurus, then Gemini and so on until it reaches Sagittarius (the ninth sign from Aries). For Taurus it's Taurus, then Gemini etc. It seems to be an important factor in Vedic astrology which was adopted by Persians, and later Arabs.

Duodenariam Lunae is your good old dodekatemoria (twelfth-part). The principle is the same, but each sign is divided into 12 parts, 2°30' in length.

The 5th consideration lists all factors that can make the Moon "ill-affected" so I guess if the ninth-part or the twelfth-part of the Moon falls under some kind of the listed affliction, you shouldn't give a positive judgement.

obsidianmineral

Answering your thread question, Novenarium Lunae is a ninth-part of the Moon. It covers 3°20' of each sign. So in Aries the first Novenarium (ninth-part) is Aries, then Taurus, then Gemini and so on until it reaches Sagittarius (the ninth sign from Aries). For Taurus it's Taurus, then Gemini etc. It seems to be an important factor in Vedic astrology which was adopted by Persians, and later Arabs.

Duodenariam Lunae is your good old dodekatemoria (twelfth-part). The principle is the same, but each sign is divided into 12 parts, 2°30' in length.

The 5th consideration lists all factors that can make the Moon "ill-affected" so I guess if the ninth-part or the twelfth-part of the Moon falls under some kind of the listed affliction, you shouldn't give a positive judgement.

Oh, I see. Thanks! Are you meant to use this in both nativities and horary? What if in a question you have an afflicted Moon (like a 12th house Moon in Aquarius) but when using the novenarium and duodanaria you get an exalted Moon in Taurus and a Moon in Sagittarius?

Also, how do you calculate in what degree of that sign the planet is in? Do you divide the amount of degrees that correspond to a sign by 30 (to get 30 degrees of that sign)? Say, if you've got a planet at 1º60' Sagittarius, using the 9th harmonic would it be exactly at 15º Aries? 'Cause 1º60 is exactly half of 3º20'.

Oh, I see. Thanks! Are you meant to use this in both nativities and horary? What if in a question you have an afflicted Moon (like a 12th house Moon in Aquarius) but when using the novenarium and duodanaria you get an exalted Moon in Taurus and a Moon in Sagittarius?

Also, how do you calculate in what degree of that sign the planet is in? Do you divide the amount of degrees that correspond to a sign by 30 (to get 30 degrees of that sign)? Say, if you've got a planet at 1º60' Sagittarius, using the 9th harmonic would it be exactly at 15º Aries? 'Cause 1º60 is exactly half of 3º20'.

Well, dodekatemoria is a very old and useful thing and it was used before the invention of horary astrology, so yes, you can definitely use them for reading natal charts. The ninth-parts are used in a method called the 9th harmonic chart. I haven't really used it, but many people say it works very well. By the way! I apologize for giving you the wrong way to calculate the ninth-parts! It's slightly different. The first 3º20' of each sign are ruled by the cardinal sign of the same triplicity, not by the sign itself! So in Taurus the first 3º20' are ruled by Capricorn, then Aquarius, then Pisces and so on. The division is exactly the same with Capricorn and Virgo. I've attached the tables not to confuse you any further. ;)

Oh, it's a hard question. I hate to be vague, but it depends on the chart and the question... I guess the Moon should become stronger since it's ninth-part is in the sign of its exaltation.

Well, first of all, half of 3º20' is 1º40', not 1º60'... To find dodekatemoria, you can use this method: take the degree of the planet in a sign and multiply it by 12, then count this number of degrees from the beginning of the sign the planet is in. With Moon at 15º Aries, you take 15º x 12 = 180º, then count that many degrees from the beginning of Aries (0º Aries) and get to 0º Libra. With the ninth-parts you do a similar thing, but multiply the degree by 9 and count of from the cardinal sign of the same triplicity.

Attachments

• Novenarium.jpg
    Novenarium.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Duodenariam.jpg
    Duodenariam.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 52

CapAquaPis

My natal 20' Aquarius Moon is duodenariam Libra (or Pisces under Jupiter or Neptune) then...ruled by Venus. It is conjunct my natal 26' Aquarius Sun. The ninth parts are ruled by 9 planets in tropical, western astrology. But in vedic, sidereal astrology, my Moon is in Capricorn: the 27' Capricorn moon is under Gemini (or Mercury) or I guess Virgo (same planet) vs. 1' Aquarius sun.

Edit: 20' Aquarius is cusp Aries in duodenariam charts, which gives me a Plutonian (if not, Mars) influences. I have Scorpio influences in my 8th house sun/Moon in Aquarius and my ruler planet Uranus in Scorpio. Pluto rules Scorpio and in traditional (or co-ruler), by Mars.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

In Novenarium, the two signs not listed in the 9/10 graph are when the given month's full moon is located. For example, when the Sun is located in Aquarius, the full moon is either Cancer or Leo. The first half of the month lunar co-sign is Cancer (AM)/Leo (PM), while the last half is Leo (AM)/Cancer(PM) - 26' Sun Aquarius (Feb 15th) people born in the PM will have a Cancer lunar influence.

JUPITERASC

By the way, modernist astrologers using 'Duads'
are simply completely unaware that 'Duads' are also known by other names
that's because 'Duads' are simply derived from using 'Twelve Parts/Twelfth Parts' of a sign
and
'Twelfth Parts' are also be known by many alternative names
OTHER NAMES FOR THE TWELFTH PARTS TECHNIQUE ARE:
'Dodekatemoria'
'Duodecima'
or plural
'Duodecimae'
'Duads' are frequently known as 'Dwads'
and so on
The foregoing are all various alternative names for the Twelfth Parts

for those who require the information:
TWELFTH PARTS
Twelfth Parts are each sign divided into twelve parts
where every part gets 2.5 degrees.
First part is always dedicated to the actual sign
and the next to the next sign in order
and so on

So
the twelfth parts of Aries start with Aries
and then continue in sequence with
Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, and so on.
The sequence of twelfth-parts of Taurus starts with Taurus
and then continues with Gemini, Cancer, Leo, and so on.

HOW TO USE A CALCULATOR TO FIND WHERE THE TWELFTH-PART OF ANY PARTICULAR PLANET IS

Let’s say a natal Moon is located at 06°15′ Scorpio.
next
multiply 6 with 12 and get 72.
next
multiply the minutes with 12 too and get 15 x 12 = 180.
Next convert the minutes to degrees by dividing 180 with 60
60 is the number of minutes in one degree
180 divided by 60 = 3.
72 + 3 = 75.
The twelfth part of this particular natal Moon then
is 75 degrees away from the beginning of Scorpio.
Important to start counting not from 6°15′ Scorpio where Moon is placed
BUT
from the beginning of the sign of Scorpio.
So the twelfth-part of the example Moon is located in 15° Capricorn.

HOWEVER

Morinus freeware software displays twelfth-parts visually on the chart :smile:
so for those who prefer not to do these calculations
there's no need to calculate anything
https://sites.google.com/site/tradmorinus/morinus

HOWEVER
IF
there is no calculator or computer available:

HOW TO FIND TWELFTH PARTS APPROXIMATELY
WITHOUT USING A CALCULATOR

If a planet is in the beginning of a sign
from 0° to 2°30′
then
the twelfth part of that planet will be in the same sign.
If from 2°30′ to 5° – in the sign next to it.
If a planet is from 5° to 7°30′
as in example with Moon shown above
then
the twelfth-part of that planet will be in the sextile sign following the sign where the planet is found.

If a planet is located from 7°30′ to 10°

the twelfth-part is in the square following.

If a planet is located from 10° to 12°30′
the twelfth-part is in the trine following.

If a planet is located from 12°30′ to 15°
it will be Disjunct
Disjunct is aka quincunx sign from the planet.

15° to 17°30′ is easy to remember
the twelfth-part is in the sign opposite.

From 17°30′ to 20° is another Disjunct - aka quincunx,
the one behind the sign in question.

From 20° to 22°30′ the trine behind.

From 22°30′ to 25° the square behind.

From 25° to 27°30′ the sextile behind.

From 27°30′ till the end of sign, in the sign behind it.

MEMORIZE THAT
and you will have no problem finding the twelfth-part of any planet
at least by sign
if not by degree.

Remember the 0 – 2.30 segment
the 5 – 7.30 segment that leads to sextile in front
and
the 25 – 27.30 that leads to sextile behind.
The 15° segment leads to opposite sign
and the 10-20 segments leads to trine in front and trine behind respectively.
Once you memorize these, the intermediate twelfth parts are easily reckoned.

FREE ASTROLOGICAL SOFTWARE PROGRAM AUTOMATICALLY CALCULATES DODEKATEMORIA :smile:
AND DISPLAYS THEM ON A NATAL WHEEL FOR EASE OF REFERENCE
THE ASTROLOGICAL FREEWARE PROGRAM IS KNOWN AS
'TRADITIONAL MORINUS' https://sites.google.com/site/tradmorinus/morinus