Size of the houses?

RayAustin

Okay, I never really knew why in some people's natal or horary or any astrology chart, that the houses are never a consistent size. Sometimes one house, can span about three signs or more. I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why that is.

In a natal chart then, how could one interpret the seventh house if it had about 3 lords (1 and 2 co) ? Such as the planetary rulers of the signs aries, taurus, and 2/3rds of gemini which was sitting in it.

Would this house then have a greater meaning in the natal chart for the native because of its size?

RayAustin

Okay, well that's good to know, it can't have 3 lords, but say the 7th house cusp is on 29 degrees aries, then taurus and gemini occupy that house largely, mars would be the lord of the house -- even though only by one degree? What then would the planetary rulers of taurus and gemini have to contribute concerning that house ?

I didn't think a house could have 3 lords, probably not the best way to describe, perhaps I'm getting at that the house would then have 3 planetary influences?

And btw, I guess I'm referring to the Placidus house system.

BobZemco

ra_divinington said:
Okay, well that's good to know, it can't have 3 lords, but say the 7th house cusp is on 29 degrees aries, then taurus and gemini occupy that house largely, mars would be the lord of the house -- even though only by one degree? What then would the planetary rulers of taurus and gemini have to contribute concerning that house ?

Depends on the planets in the house.

ra_divinington said:
I didn't think a house could have 3 lords, probably not the best way to describe, perhaps I'm getting at that the house would then have 3 planetary influences?

And btw, I guess I'm referring to the Placidus house system.

Unusually large houses are typically areas of heavy activity. Planets in intercepted signs act a little differently. As you progress the chart, you might notice that the size of the house changes, or that the intercepted sign moves to a house cusp. My experience is that intercepted signs and planets play a more active role later in life.

Claire19

ra_divinington said:
Okay, I never really knew why in some people's natal or horary or any astrology chart, that the houses are never a consistent size. Sometimes one house, can span about three signs or more. I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why that is.

In a natal chart then, how could one interpret the seventh house if it had about 3 lords (1 and 2 co) ? Such as the planetary rulers of the signs aries, taurus, and 2/3rds of gemini which was sitting in it.

Would this house then have a greater meaning in the natal chart for the native because of its size?

The skewed houses belong to those who live at the extremes such as near the north and south poles.

The planetary ruler of a house can only be one, the ruler of the sign on the cusp. We look at the planets in that house and see where their rulers are posited elsewhere in the chart. It is not an easy analysis. I use equal house for that reason often. Only the person who belongs to the chart can vouch for the authenticity of a particular house method, in their experience and that takes experience and expertise.

Claire19

BobZemco said:
Depends on the planets in the house.

Unusually large houses are typically areas of heavy activity. Planets in intercepted signs act a little differently. As you progress the chart, you might notice that the size of the house changes, or that the intercepted sign moves to a house cusp. My experience is that intercepted signs and planets play a more active role later in life.

Unusually large houses can be conversely empty of planets too. The intercepted sign/house just has the same ruler as the house before it. A planet in that intercepted house just operates the same with its aspects elsewhere in the chart as usual. i.e. I have third house ruler Venus with Taurus on the cusp and intercepted 4th house with Uranus in Gemini but the cusp is Taurus and therefore the ruler is also Venus in Placidus. In equal house system I dont have that, of course.

libradragon

Living in the north of the UK, this is a question of interest because people born here do have some very large and some very, very small houses.

I was just reading about this, one take being that a sign that is completely within a house gives the house the feel of that sign.

E.g. if Aries is on the cusp of house 7, and ALL of taurus (0-30 deg) is contained within the house, house 7 will have the feel of Taurus. The analogy given was a home. Aries in this case chooses the furniture and curtains. And it looks like Aries, with reds and oranges and such. But once you settle in, you realize it has a taurus feel to it underneath.

LibraDragon

Claire19

libradragon said:
Living in the north of the UK, this is a question of interest because people born here do have some very large and some very, very small houses.

I was just reading about this, one take being that a sign that is completely within a house gives the house the feel of that sign.

E.g. if Aries is on the cusp of house 7, and ALL of taurus (0-30 deg) is contained within the house, house 7 will have the feel of Taurus. The analogy given was a home. Aries in this case chooses the furniture and curtains. And it looks like Aries, with reds and oranges and such. But once you settle in, you realize it has a taurus feel to it underneath.

So

LibraDragon

I presume you mean there are plants and a feeling of comfort?? If it is owned rather than rented, that is a Taurean manifestation. Music aplenty and chocolate and sweets in the cupboard.;) Mars as the ruler may be contacting Venus or other planets in Taurus and that can add to the picture.

I have Taurus ruling my 4th, my Moon in Taurus and I always have music on, plenty of plants and like peaceful surrounds. However Uranus in Gemini is there and I like an airy light place, have plenty of books, study Astrology there, much contact with neighbours and have had plenty of changes of home, some with unusual architecture and in later life which is 4th house, will live in a community retirement situation. I also have Aquarian family members as well as a plethora of Geminis on both sides. Can be a complicated mix cant it!!!:)