Right now: Moon at 5°30' Leo, Sun at 1°11' Aquarius
Iceland - Mundane Astrology
Horoscope of Iceland · History of Iceland
Iceland took full independence from Denmark on June 17, 1944.
The independence ceremony started at 1:30 pm GMT in Thingvellir - 21w07, 64n17 (site of the ancient Viking Althing).
The most significant moment was at 2:00 pm GMT, when there was a 2 minute silence all over the country.
The astrological chart below is cast for this moment and place:
Significative data from Iceland's history
- Jun 23, 930 - Icelanders established the Althing, an open-air national parliament and the world's oldest surviving parliamentary body. This was later credited as the first example of representative government.
- Jun 8, 1783 - In Iceland the Lakagicar volcano began erupting. Over the next 6 months it built a lava dam 40 miles long and 540 feet high in a month. The Laki volcano wiped out 75% of the crops which led to a severe famine that killed some 10,000 people, 20% of the population.
- Feb 10, 1941 - Iceland was attacked by German planes.
- Jul 7, 1941 - Although a neutral country, the United States sent troops to occupy Iceland to keep it out of Germany's hands.
- May 6, 1959 - Iceland gunboats shot at British fishing ships.
- Nov 14, 1963 - Iceland got a new island when a volcano pushed its way up out of the sea five miles off the southern coast.
- Sep 1, 1972 - American Bobby Fischer won the international chess crown in Reykjavik, Iceland, defeating Boris Spassky of the Soviet Union. In 2004 David Edmonds and John Eidinow authored "Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time."
- Sep 12, 1972 - Icelandic gunboats sank 2 British trawlers in the North Sea in a Cod War.
- Jan 23, 1973 - Helgafell, an island of Heimaey, Iceland, erupted for the 1st time in 7,000 yrs.
- Oct 15, 1975 - Iceland moved its intl. boundary from 50 to 200 miles.
- Oct 11, 1986 - President Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev opened two days of talks concerning arms control and human rights in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Jun 27, 1996 - Gay marriages were legalized in Iceland.
- Oct 1, 1996 - The Loki volcano in the center of the Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland erupted.
- Feb 27, 2000 - The Mount Hekla volcano erupted.
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S |
T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
| Afghanistan | Albania | Algeria | American Samoa | Andorra | Angola |
Anguilla | Antarctica | Antigua and Barbuda | Argentina | Armenia | Aruba |
Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan |
| Bahamas | Bahrain | Bangladesh
| Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Benin | Bermuda | Bhutan | Bolivia |
Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | Brunei | Bulgaria | Burkina Faso |
Burma (Myanmar) | Burundi |
| Cambodia | Cameroon | Canada | Cape Verde | Cayman Islands | Central
African Republic | Chad | Chile | China | Christmas Island | Cocos (Keeling)
Islands | Colombia | Congo, Democratic Republic of the | Congo. Republic of the
| Cook Islands | Costa Rica | Cote d'Ivoire | Croatia | Cuba | Cyprus | Czech
| Denmark | Djibouti | Dominica | Dominican Republic |
| Ecuador | Egypt | El Salvador | Equatorial Guinea | Eritrea | Estonia
| Ethiopia |
| Faroe Islands | Fiji | Finland | France | French Guiana | French
| Gabon | Gambia, The | Gaza Strip | Georgia | Germany | Ghana |
Gibraltar | Greece | Grenada | Guam | Guatemala | Guernsey | Guinea | Guyana
| Haiti | Honduras | Hong Kong | Hungary |
| Iceland | India | Indonesia | Iran | Iraq | Ireland | Israel | Italy
| Jamaica | Japan | Jersey | Jordan |
| Kazakhstan | Kenya | Kiribati | Kosovo | Kuwait | Kyrgyzstan |
| Laos | Latvia | Lebanon | Lesotho | Liberia | Libya | Liechtenstein |
Lithuania | Luxembourg |
| Macedonia | Madagascar | Malawi |
Malaysia | Maldives | Mali | Malta | Marshall Islands | Mauritania | Mauritius |
Mexico | Moldova | Monaco | Mongolia | Montenegro | Morocco | Mozambique |
| Namibia | Nepal | Netherland Antilles | Netherlands | New Zealand |
Nicaragua | Niger | Nigeria | Norfolk Island | North Korea | Norway |
| Oman |
| Pakistan | Palestine | Panama | Papua New Guinea | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines |
Poland | Portugal | Puerto Rico |
| Qatar |
| Romania | Russia |
| Saint Helena | Saint Kitts and Nevis | Saint Lucia | Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines | Saudi Arabia | Senegal | Serbia | Sierra Leone | Singapore |
Slovakia | Slovenia | Solomon Islands | Somalia | South Africa | South Korea |
Spain | Sri Lanka | Sudan | Suriname | Swaziland | Sweden | Switzerland | Syria
| Taiwan | Tajikistan | Tanzania | Thailand | Togo | Tonga | Trinidad
and Tobago | Tunisia | Turkey | Turkmenistan | Turks and Caicos Islands | Tuvalu
| Uganda | Ukraine | United Arab Emirates | United Kingdom | United
States of America | Uruguay | Uzbekistan |
| Vanuatu | Venezuela | Vietnam |
| Wallis and Futuna | West Bank |
| Yemen |
| Zambia | Zimbabwe |