Right now: Moon at 5°35' Leo, Sun at 1°11' Aquarius
Cyprus - Mundane Astrology
Horoscope of Cyprus · Cyprus's natal chart
Cyprus gained independence from the United Kingdom on August 16, 1960 at midnight. The natal chart is set for Nicosia, the capital.
Brief history timeline:
- Feb. 13, 1975 - Turkish Cypriot area proclaims self-rule, creating its own constitution and government bodies headed by Rauf Denktash.
- July 15, 1974 - The Greek military, with the support of the CIA and American national security advisor Henry Kissinger, ordered a coup to overthrow Makarios who they perceived to be too pro-Russian. Makarios was forced to flee to the British base. A puppet regime was imposed under Nikos Sampson, a former EOKA fighter and paid CIA operative.
- July 20, 1974 - Turkey invaded Cyprus and captured three percent of the island's territory around the town of Kyrenia, where they drove out the Greek Cypriot population.
- July 23, 1974 - The coup was put down and democracy and Makarios were restored.
- August 14, 1974 - After the breakdown of UN-led talks, the United Nations landed 40,000 troops on the north coast. 200,000 Greek Cypriots fled to the South, forcing resident Turkish Cypriots to leave their homes. Turkish forces were left in control of thirty-seven percent of the island. Facing threats from Turkey, the United Nations and the Cypriot government agreed to transfer the Turkish Cypriots living in the free areas to the occupied north against their will.
- Aug 3, 1977 - Archbishop Makarios (b.1913), president of Cyprus, died
- Feb 28, 1978 - Spyros Kyprianou was elected president with no opposition.
- Feb 13, 1983 - Spyros Kyprianou was re-elected president of Cyprus.
- 1983 - Denktash forms the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is only recognized by Turkey.
- May 5, 1985 - New constitution for the Turkish Cypriot area passed.
- Feb 16, 2003 - In Cyprus Tassos Papadopoulos was elected the country’s 5th president over Glafcos Clerides. He opposed current reunification plans.
- April 23, 2003 - The line which divided the two parts of Cyprus was partly opened. Thousands of Turkish and Greek Cypriots crossed the buffer zone to the "other side" after 30 years.
- April 24, 2004 - 2004 Annan Plan Referendum: The Annan Plan was rejected by the majority of Greek Cypriots.
- May 1, 2004 - The sovereign Republic of Cyprus joined the European Union. EU rights and obligations only apply to the Greek Cypriot south.
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S |
T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
| Afghanistan | Albania | Algeria | American Samoa | Andorra | Angola |
Anguilla | Antarctica | Antigua and Barbuda | Argentina | Armenia | Aruba |
Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan |
| Bahamas | Bahrain | Bangladesh
| Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Benin | Bermuda | Bhutan | Bolivia |
Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | Brunei | Bulgaria | Burkina Faso |
Burma (Myanmar) | Burundi |
| Cambodia | Cameroon | Canada | Cape Verde | Cayman Islands | Central
African Republic | Chad | Chile | China | Christmas Island | Cocos (Keeling)
Islands | Colombia | Congo, Democratic Republic of the | Congo. Republic of the
| Cook Islands | Costa Rica | Cote d'Ivoire | Croatia | Cuba | Cyprus | Czech
| Denmark | Djibouti | Dominica | Dominican Republic |
| Ecuador | Egypt | El Salvador | Equatorial Guinea | Eritrea | Estonia
| Ethiopia |
| Faroe Islands | Fiji | Finland | France | French Guiana | French
| Gabon | Gambia, The | Gaza Strip | Georgia | Germany | Ghana |
Gibraltar | Greece | Grenada | Guam | Guatemala | Guernsey | Guinea | Guyana
| Haiti | Honduras | Hong Kong | Hungary |
| Iceland | India | Indonesia | Iran | Iraq | Ireland | Israel | Italy
| Jamaica | Japan | Jersey | Jordan |
| Kazakhstan | Kenya | Kiribati | Kosovo | Kuwait | Kyrgyzstan |
| Laos | Latvia | Lebanon | Lesotho | Liberia | Libya | Liechtenstein |
Lithuania | Luxembourg |
| Macedonia | Madagascar | Malawi |
Malaysia | Maldives | Mali | Malta | Marshall Islands | Mauritania | Mauritius |
Mexico | Moldova | Monaco | Mongolia | Montenegro | Morocco | Mozambique |
| Namibia | Nepal | Netherland Antilles | Netherlands | New Zealand |
Nicaragua | Niger | Nigeria | Norfolk Island | North Korea | Norway |
| Oman |
| Pakistan | Palestine | Panama | Papua New Guinea | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines |
Poland | Portugal | Puerto Rico |
| Qatar |
| Romania | Russia |
| Saint Helena | Saint Kitts and Nevis | Saint Lucia | Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines | Saudi Arabia | Senegal | Serbia | Sierra Leone | Singapore |
Slovakia | Slovenia | Solomon Islands | Somalia | South Africa | South Korea |
Spain | Sri Lanka | Sudan | Suriname | Swaziland | Sweden | Switzerland | Syria
| Taiwan | Tajikistan | Tanzania | Thailand | Togo | Tonga | Trinidad
and Tobago | Tunisia | Turkey | Turkmenistan | Turks and Caicos Islands | Tuvalu
| Uganda | Ukraine | United Arab Emirates | United Kingdom | United
States of America | Uruguay | Uzbekistan |
| Vanuatu | Venezuela | Vietnam |
| Wallis and Futuna | West Bank |
| Yemen |
| Zambia | Zimbabwe |