What really makes a good writer in the chart?

rd_gore

Re: An oft repeated question...do I have a career in writing?

Hi everyone,

Disclaimer: This mail may come across as a bit too cliched. But bear with me, as I am not a published writer (author) yet ;-)

Sven: Mate, I enjoyed your posts a lot. I have read 'First five pages' by Lukeman and 'On writing' by Stephen King. How can I miss them? I read your story descriptions. It would be going over the top if I tell you that they were really great. Nevertheless, I was intrigued enough to read the stories. I guess, thats a victory for the writer in you.

Lila/Jeremy: Your's were wonderful posts. Its special because it takes time and effort for all of us to look at a stranger's chart, study it, write a response to him and above all, intersperse it with encouragement. And Jeremy, I have a dream of becoming the President of "Thomas Hardy Fan Club"

Maybe I should post this in another thread, but since I am in a flow, let me mention this here itself.

What really makes a good writer in the chart?

Maybe I should refine this a bit.

What makes a very successful published writer (author) in your chart?

I am not too sure if this question would be picked here.

If this thread does not grow beyond this point, thank you for all the inputs!

P.S. : Pottermania is here. I am no fan of it. But I accept it. Just the way I accept taxes and inflation. I have learned to live with it. Just like the taxes, maybe it is serving some purpose...

Warm regards
RJ

Last edited:

Jeremy

I'm not going to comment on this too far except to say that there are three criteria for this:
A) The ability to write.
B) The ability to get published.
C) The ability to sell a lot of books.

There is no causal link between any of the three criteria, as proved by Dan Brown. ;)

More pertinently the Gauquelins made reference to these exact criteria in their enormous study; which I shan't cover here; suffice to say that:

Moon in 5th, 7th, 8th house: not a writer
Moon in 9th, 12th house: writers, politicians
Mars in 1st, 2nd, 8th, 11th house: not a scientist, actor, or writer
Mars in 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th, 12th house: scientists, actors, writers
Mars in 9th, early 11th, or 12th house: sports champions, physicians, military leaders, top executives; "strong will"; not a painter, musician, or writer
Jupiter in 1st, 9th, or 12th house: sports champions, writers, scientists
Jupiter in 4th, 5th, or 11th house: not a sports champion, scientist or writer
Saturn in 4th or 5th house: not a sports champion, actor, or writer
Saturn in 9th, 12th house: scientists, physicians, sports champions, actors, writers, "simple", "introvert"; not actors, journalists, writers, painters

Make of it what you will, their research suggests that "success" (at least in the broadly consensual definition of it) is strongly linked to planets in the 9th and 12th houses but conjunct the angles, and to a lesser extent with planets conjunct the IC and Dsc in the 3rd and 6th respectively.

Bizarrely, Saturn or Mars in the 12th seem to predispose more than anything else to worldly success. :eek:

Of course that is a purely statistical analysis, but it does seem to hold up in my (humble) opinion (the bit about Gauq. sectors I mean).

Peace,
Jeremy

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

I know a published writer, fictional books, and reporter, it comes naturally to him. He seems to have the ability to make his words speak to the soul.

Anyway, his Uranus is conjunct Pluto in his 3rd house, near the start of the cusp. And those two planets are opposite Chiron in his 9th house. Those houses have something to do with writing and getting published, I guess. Pluto also leads him to transformation, and Chiron/healing. So he needs to write to evolve as a person.

Looking further, the depositor of his Sun sign is Scorpio, ruler Pluto, and this sits in his 3rd house - again a link to writing.

Venus is also in his 3rd, a love of writing. Venus rules his 4th and 11th houses, so something to with society and his roots. He draws on his roots alot when he writes.

Mercury rules his 3rd house, and this sits conjunct his Sun, so his self/ego is very much associated with writing, and communications.

So it looks like this person was born to be a writer!

All the best,
NR

Arian Maverick

As I believe Jeremy indicated in his post, there exists a difference between possessing linguistic talent and actually making a career of this talent. I have not explored either in any great depth partially because of personal bias; if one regards oneself to be a skilled writer, one will easily find indicators in one's natal chart to support this belief.

I believe it to be an interesting and possibly enlightening process to explore indicators of writing talent in a natal chart, yet if one is in possession of this talent, I truly do not believe it matters if any of the "traditional"--or rather, widely-accepted--indicators of such talent are present in one's natal chart.

I do not wish to ascribe any motives to you, yet speaking from personal experience, I wish to warn you and possibly others who have been attracted to this thread that one does not need to justify one's talents astrologically; you know if you possess skill in a particular area, and if you are searching for a boost of confidence in your natal chart, I believe you may be searching in the wrong place. Natal indicators supporting one's talents can truly be helpful in this regard, yet it is important to not use them as a crutch--to believe that one's success in a particular field hinges upon a specific planetary placement that one may or may not possess.

If you want to become a writer, I recommend that you develop your talent through practical means, such as taking writing courses and reading literature of the genre you wish to explore.

I apologize if this is not a particularly astrological post, but I believe this had to be said--to serve as a reminded for myself, if not for anyone else ;)

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Arian Maverick

P.S.

Mercury rules his 3rd house, and this sits conjunct his Sun, so his self/ego is very much associated with writing, and communications.

This may simply be coincidence, but I have this exact natal placement as well, and my teachers have favorably commented on my writing ability since the third grade; Venus, although not located in my natal third house, is cazimi and conjunct Mercury. I can assert Neptune Rising's comment that my self/ego is very much associated with writing and communications.

Jeremy

Arian gets it just right for me here, I can put it another way.

Alan Leo said (also accurately) that "character is destiny." I am of the view that we can easily forget this at times, when we are wrapped up in our exploration of the astrologer's craft; our nativity is a map of character, not destiny, so attempting to see the destiny is like trying to see what the weather is like on a road atlas. Not just pointless, but a little absurd to boot.

I spend a good portion of my consultations with people simply adjusting their focus with this truth in mind. They are sat down and wanting to know right off the bat if they are going to be rich (if a man or married woman) or marrying Mr Right (if they are a single woman) and I have to spend some time "talking them round." Any astrologer who believes in the Inner Path understands this process; but it becomes very much par for the course after only a short time practising.

My (unadorned) opinion is that if you are on this earth to learn something and that is best served by becoming a successful writer, then it might well come to pass, your lessons may be better learned through not making a successful career out of writing however; just as most people will learn more from poverty than they ever will from wealth.

I say this is the Law of What You Need, which has no relationship whatever to the Law of What You Want ;)

None of which detracts from my sincere hope that you are a greatly successful author one day soon. I will of course expect a signed copy of your book, it goes without saying :)

Jeremy

rd_gore

Hi Arian / Jeremy,

Someone once told me that you run to God and Astrology only when you are in strife. The stars and the God are completely ignored when we are on a lovely ride to pleasantville. I am neither in strife (touchwood), nor have I fogotten God. And honestly, I have never ever approached any astrologer for any consultation throughout my life.

That said, I thank you both for bringing in this prespective. More often than not, we tend to find a shred of encouragement from any of the sources. And I would be lying if I say I did not get any hope from your comments. Maybe once in a while you need to hear from total strangers that there is hope in whatever path you have chosen. Looking at Natal charts or attending inspiraional lectures by the likes of Covey, Robbins, Chopra is a medium. If it serves the purpose of helping us, prodding us in the chosen direction, maybe thats what it is supposed to do.

So thank you for your inputs. I have penned a few lines for all the people who invest time in helping strangers:

Gauge not thy life by the years you breathe
And not by the wealth that it shalt sheath
But by the smidgens of smiles you spread
And by the merry souls you pleat as you tread
Cheers,
RJ

P.S. : The signed copy is on its way, but the postal delays would cause it to arrive a couple of years late ;-)

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Luna and Mercury are the traditional sources of writing skill. Luna representing grammar and the left brain (I am no neuroscientist, so I may get my sides of the brain mixed up), and Mercury represting writing skill and the right brain. You need both to write well, even though Luna is great at being ignored in these situations. She does, after all, joy in the Third house and she should not be forgotten within this context.

Basically, a balance between the rational and irrational minds is a useful thing in writing.

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Luna and Mercury are the traditional sources of writing skill. Luna representing grammar and the left brain (I am no neuroscientist, so I may get my sides of the brain mixed up), and Mercury represting writing skill and the right brain. You need both to write well, even though Luna is great at being ignored in these situations. She does, after all, joy in the Third house and she should not be forgotten within this context.

This is interesting, Kaiousei; this is the second time this week that I've seen the Moon (Luna) being connected to writing ability. (The first time was in the article The Gauquelin work, if anyone is interested; I have posted an excerpt below.)

In summary, the results using foreign data showed that the surpluses and deficits previously observed for Mars, Jupiter and Saturn at the birth of eminent professionals were real. The Moon (previously uncertain) was now linked to creative writers. Venus had no apparent effect, but was later found to reach significance when similar groups were combined, eg for writers plus journalists, and for actors plus musicians plus painters. As before, the results more or less fitted astrology, but the conflicts remained, especially the lack of an effect for ordinary people, which on Gauquelin's later figures meant 99.994% of the population. It was all very puzzling.

Nevertheless the results led to two general hypotheses, based on a total sample of 20,396 cases, which guided his work from then on: (1) Different professions are linked to different planets. (2) The relationship increases with eminence and disappears for non-eminent persons. The effect had nothing to do with signs or aspects. What mattered was the planet's diurnal position relative to the horizon -- whether it was rising or had culminated overhead. (The opposite positions below the horizon seemed also to be involved, but too weakly and erratically to justify routine inclusion, a view corroborated 30 years later by Ertel who found no consistent relation to occupation.)

Generally the surplus or deficit was between 10% and 25% of the expected key sector total. This may seem a lot, but about four-fifths of births fall outside key sectors, and in terms of the whole sample (which is what matters) the effect is much smaller and of no practical value, see later section on effect size. Detecting such small effects amid the sampling noise is difficult and is one reason why the Gauqueli findings were to become controversial. Nevertheless, for the Gauquelins, planetary effects had replicated and were now a reality.

I believe this study utilizes the Gauquelin sectors, though, so we'd have to see if the Moon was located in one of these sectors.

Basically, a balance between the rational and irrational minds is a useful thing in writing.

I would normally assume that the Moon (Luna) rules the irrational mind and Mercury rules the rational mind, yet I'm not quite sure of this based upon your previous comment that Luna represents grammar, which as you mentioned, seems to be a left-brain activity. It takes more than good grammar to be a good writer, although it certainly helps ;)

Arian Maverick

Last edited: