Is there a cure for an afflicted Mars in the 3rd house?

gesura

I haven't been diagnosed with a mental health problems, but compared to other people, specially my family and younger siblings, I am not as sharp as they are.

I have Mars in Aries in the 3rd house, Pisces cusp.

Mars squares Saturn and Neptune in Cap. and Uranus in Sag.
Mars Sextiles Rx Jupiter in Gemini
Trines Mercury in Sag.
Mercury conj. Sun(Sag)
opp. Jupiter.
----As if that's not enough, Neptune conj. Cap. Asc.

Note: Saturn, Neptune, Uranus conj. in the 12th house.

Some of the symptoms are:

Short attention span.

Excessive daydreaming

Driving difficulties (bad at calculating distance for parking, and not having enough commom sense to learn/follow/figure out driving signals).

Bad sense of direction(not good with distinctions)

Clumsiness (awkardness in doing normal, everyday things).

---------My question is:

Is there any cure for these disrupting energies?

Arian Maverick

How wide is the orb for the each of the square aspects to Mars? The tighter the orb, the more powerful the aspect, so the planet that makes the tightest aspect to Mars is the planet you want to look for.

Astrodienst tends to use wide orbs, so it's possible that one or more of these square aspects don't really exist, or else their power is significantly reduced.

Mars Sextiles Rx Jupiter in Gemini
Trines Mercury in Sag.

Jupiter in Gemini isn't a strong placement and neither is Mercury in Sagittarius, but sextiles and trines are both harmonious aspects, so I don't think they would afflict your natal Mars.

Mercury conj. Sun(Sag)

Again, how tight is the conjunction? The Sun is most likely combust if it is within ten degrees of the Sun, but there is a small possibility that it is cazimi--within 17 arcminutes of the Sun. This would enhance the power of Mercury, not weaken it.

opp. Jupiter.

Is the Sun opposing Jupiter as well, or is it out of orb?

I don't think this is so bad, except that Neptune is less of the nature of Capricorn than Saturn and thus might feel uncomfortable in this sign. Yet a hallmark of the Neptune in Capricorn generation--of which I am also a member--is that we are as a group practical idealists; we want to change society yet do not become lost in "if only's" unless, of course, something in one's individual natal chart counters this influence.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I have natal Mars in the third house as well but in Gemini instead of Aries and I have found it to enhance my communication abilities--although naturally, I can come on a bit strong sometimes. Mars in the third house would seem to indicate forceful communication before an inability to communicate, and even with Mars afflicted here, I wouldn't interpret this placement as "not being sharp." Mars is dignified in Aries, its ruling sign, and although the third house is a cadent house and doesn't give Mars much in terms of accidental dignity, it might not be a bad thing to have Mars be less prominent.

I would personally interpret an afflicted Mars in the third house as inclining one to lose his or her temper with siblings (the third house rules siblings) or to be direct and forthright in communication, possibly given to debates which can quickly turn hostile. Of course, other factors in your natal chart may counter this, but this is just a general interpretation of this placement.

Here's an interpretation of third house Mars from the main site; does this sound dull to you? ;)

Mars in the 3rd - Mars in the third house:

With Mars in the Third House you are likely to exert your energy and initiative in building mental resourcefulness and an aggressive active intellect. There will be a liking for competitive mental pastimes that present an intellectual challenge - such as chess, crosswords, etc. You enjoy learning, argument, debate and discussion and you are likely to do well in school. The need for mental stimulation will ensure further education and eventual mature student status.

Arian Maverick

ceres76

Hi Gesura!

Reading the description of what you think is an afflicted Mars, (which, I agree with Arian, looks unlikely) what came to my mind immediately was Attention Deficit Disorder, and/or challenges with sensory integration.

Short attention span, daydreaming, difficulty following directions like signs, instructions, explanations written or verbal - those are all signs commonly associated with ADD. And clumsiness, like bumping into things, etc. is often a sign of some kind difficulty with sensory perception, but also often goes hand in hand with ADD, especially when hyperactivity is involved.

You might want to check this out on the internet and the library before talking to your doctor for a referral for someone who might be able to help, because, quite frankly, most physicians are absolutely clueless about adulthood ADD, so you will probably be teaching him.

A good source of information to start with would be Driven to Distraction, by John Ratey and a co-author. It is a primer on adult ADD and readily available at libraries and bookstores everywhere.

Good luck with this. Let us know what happens.

ceres

starlink

Hello Gesura, you got some good advice already and some explanations. I actually would like to see your chart, but it is clear to me that there are some problems and I think that you should indeed follow the tip that Ceres gave you. I personally have no experience with ADD so I will look at something else. You wrote:

and:

In other words, your Mars probably also squares your Ascendant in Capricorn?

Arian Maverick comes to the same conclusion I do. You can express yourself aggressively towards your siblings (most likely), but also to the outside world in general. Question is, why are your reactions so disruptive to yourself and others probably also.

Saturn, Neptune, Uranus conj. in the 12th house.

I dont know how far towards the Ascendant Saturn, Neptune and Uranus are, because if they are very close, within 5°, then you can count them to be in the 1st house.
But if they are further into the 12th house, the ruler of the Ascendant and the ruler of your 3rd house both in the 12th, shows me that as a very young child, you have most probably been in hospital, have had some traumatic experiences which frightened you so much, that you did not want to open your mouth anymore and probably choose to live in a dreamworld so you would not have to face the reality of what was happening to you. (I am not saying this is true, but very likely as I have so often seen, even with myself. As a baby I fell from the babytable, was operated and bumped into things myself until at 3, I got my first glasses. At 16 I could do without them again until recently of course, because of my age, I need them again.)

These experiences can subconsciously (12th house) still be within you and when triggered by occurences nowadays, cause you to become disorientated, very insecure and as you said, clumsy. Mars in Aries in the 3rd house, the house of the mind and square Saturn and Uranus can point to head injuries you may have had when you were a very small child, a baby even. You might not remember this. Mars in Aries points towards the head and often people with this position have migraines for instance or a tendency to bang their heads into something. Has anyone told you about a serious headinjury or heavy fall you might have had?

Mars being in the 3rd could point to a brother or sister who could have been very hard on you and maybe punched you a couple of times, you know how brothers are sometimes, and when very young, could have been jealous of their small baby brother. But maybe you just stumbled and had a nasty fall.
Maybe the problems you have are related to that.

With Saturn in the 12th you must be afraid of hospitals and doctors as well. Whereever Saturn is found in a chart, we find fear. (in the 9th, fear of traveling for instance).

Saturn in 12th shows also a person who needs to be left alone or needs to be alone from time to time.
Neptune conjunct the Ascendant always causes daydreaming and a sense of not knowing exactly who you are and what you should do.

Your second house of self worth must be ruled probably by Uranus and that planet in the 12th also shows a very negative selfimage, so the square to your Mars can be some sort of self-defensive reaction you developed when attacked, verbally or otherwise, by other people.

You see, by itself, a Mars in Aries in the 3rd actually shows a very sharp mind, so something must have happened (square Saturn and Uranus) to have dampened this energy and maybe caused ADD or something else which causes your problems. I would most certainly go to a neurologist and have yourself checked. You could be helped. Look at transiting Pluto, now probably conjunct your Asc. or in your 1st house, always a sign of dramatic personal changes. Hopefully they will be for the best!

Cheers, Starlink

gesura

To starlink:

I didn't have any head injuries when I was a child, but the second oldest(I'm the oldest of 4 children) did fall from a grocery cart when he was really small. Thankfully, it was nothing serious. Growing up, he always used to bump his head with the edges of the doors, and when he fell, he fell flat on his face breaking a little of his front teeth. Thankfully, those grew back again.

My brother is an Aries, and has his sun in the 10th house house.
My dad is also an Aries.

As for my low self-confidence, I has always been low as a child, but now I am growing a little more confident and somewhat happier. I think this is due to my N. Node being in the 2nd house.

Catatonia

I think the problem is your family. According to this chart, you're a bright young kid. You also possess incredible disciplinary strength and learn powerful lessons. You need find ways to change your mental outlook on yourself and realize and improve your strengths; for you have many. Your Neptune in the 1st is somewhat of an afflication you'll have to learn to overcome, but your Saturn dignified in the 1st strengthens it.

You need to separate yourself from the source of conflict, which seems to be your family.

I was actually born 19 days prior to you and have a lot of the progressed placements you have natally. Don't let your family (Mars in the 4th by whole sign houses ruling the IC) disillusion you (Neptune in the 1st) from who you really are (Saturn in the 1st).

Good Luck,

Catatonia

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I don't have much time right now to write a detailed post, but you've got a rather nice fire trine with tight orbs--all of the planets in the configuration are within a degree of each other!

For reference, these planets include your Sagittarius Sun, Mars in Aries, and Leo Moon--Mercury in Sagittarius can also be included with the Sagittarius Sun, although it's about two degrees behind the Sun and thus makes the orbs of the configuration less tight if included. It still supplements the Sun, though.

I believe we should also focus on that Sun/Mercury conjunction--you probably feel self-conscious about your intellect because you identify yourself (Sun) very much by your intelligence (Mercury). This is a common characteristic of those with this aspect; I have it in my natal chart as well, so I can relate. Your Sun/Mercury conjunction is relatively unafflicted, but it does form a loose opposition with retrograde Jupiter in Gemini. Since Pisces is the sign on your third house cusp, Jupiter is the traditional ruler of this house. Jupiter is not very strongly placed in Gemini, but this does not necessarily mean that you have a weak intellect; I have Gemini Jupiter as well within five degrees of my third house. Jupiter has an expansive influence, but since Jupiter is retrograde, this expansive energy may be turned inwards.

More to come :)

Arian Maverick

Catatonia

My experience with Jupiter in Gemini is far more intellectual than you guys care to give credit. Jupiter in Gemini is farthest from its home in Gemini, yes, granted the 'debility,' but as far as intellect goes--I've known many a time who have this placement and it's very credible intellectually.

Arian Maverick

Also, Mercury and Jupiter are in mutual reception, which is nice--and this Mercury-Jupiter connection seems to be a theme in your chart with Jupiter ruling your third house cusp and Jupiter ruling your natal Mercury.

Now I'd like to talk a bit about what I mentioned before regarding orbs and your "afflicted" Mars. I put afflicted in quotes because Mars receives two trine aspects--three, if you include Mercury--and a sextile aspect to Mercury, and the trine aspects in particular have tighter orbs than the square aspects. Mars is separating from an out-of-sign square aspect with Uranus, which has the loosest orb of the three square aspects, an orb of approximately six degrees; it is also separating from a square aspect with Saturn, which has a four-degree orb. The planet you want to key into here is Uranus; not only is it the planet closest to your Ascendant, as you noted in your first post, but Mars is also applying towards a square aspect to Neptune rather than separating from the aspect, which means that the aspect is gaining power. Saturn will also be an influence, and so will Uranus to a lesser degree, but I strongly suggest that you first study the sign and house positions of both of the planets involved in the Mars-Neptune aspect.

I find it interesting that Neptune, the modern ruler of your third house cusp, forms the tightest square aspect with your natal Mars; it emphasizes the theme I discussed earlier because the third house is often associated with Mercury and Gemini, although some traditional astrologers are against the practice of equating houses with signs with their ruling planets. I will not offer an opinion here, but rather, let you decide if you like this method of interpretation.

So you have the modern ruler of your third house cusp square your third house Mars and the traditional ruler sextile your third house Mars.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

starlink

Hello Gesura, sorry I come back so late, but I did not get any notification in my inbox (AM, how can this be? already for a couple of days I dont get notification and when I go to a post, I see that more has been added to it. Any idea? sorry to bother you...)

Now that I see your chart Gesura, I also see that the three planets in the 12th are not conjuncting your Asc. Neptune very widely does however.

I think that Catatonia is very right. Mars rules your family and there have been some serious family issues that have made a negative impression on you and probably to do with your father (as he is an Aries, so in this case I take the 4th house as indicative of your father) who somehow has been able to really minimize your selfconfidence (Mars square Saturn (you) and Uranus (ruler of your house of selfworth). From those planets in the 12th house you can also see that you must have gone through certain unpleasant experiences in very early childhood. You did not have an injury, so it must have been more of a psychological impact that made you into the person you are now.
I saw your post about Pluto entering your 12th house. I will go there later, but I think Pluto now entering the 12th will force you to face these very problems you are having now and giving you a chance to find your selfconfidence back as it conjuncts your natal Uranus. This wont be easy at all, but Pluto transits are never easy, but they always cause some sort of rebirth which is great.
I will go to your other post now. Cheers, Starlink