Could the ascendent sign "run" in a family?

Hi! My friend told me that two of her siblings and her dad all have their ascendant in Virgo. I noticed myself that both of my two siblings have their ascendant in Virgo, and I am first degree Libra rising. My sister's ascendant is in the last degree of Virgo, so all of our houses essentially line up in the same signs.

I've heard that the ascendant is related to your role in the family - which would make sense for me as Libra rising because I've essentially grown to be a peacemaker of sorts in my family, always being Switzerland between my two siblings. Perhaps a family as a whole intends to portray a certain image to the world? I can see my parents wanting their kids to act like Virgos - my mom is a Capricorn sun sign and my dad is a Capricorn moon sign, they're very centered on practicality, hard work, success, always way too rational and not nearly open-minded enough for my airy nature. They have often been disappointed that I'm not as career-oriented, and some of my aspects (EDIT: namely Sun in 10th house, opp Neptune in 4th house) suggest conflict between my parents and identity.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BluEyedGrl105

You'll find a lot of common degrees/signs/aspects in family members' charts, so siblings sharing the same ascendant isn't surprising.

I've found the degree *13 Gemini prominent in my family all the way back to my great-grandmother. G-gma had her Moon there (or around there) conjunct Pluto/Uranus, then her daughter had her Moon there exactly (I do have her TOB), my Dad had mercury, and I have Mars.

Yes, the ascendant can point to your role in the family since the ascendant is our persona as well as how we perceive the world and how we start things. But like everything else, you need to take the whole chart into account.

From what I remember from Erin Sullivan's "The Astrology of Family Dynamics":

Saturnian/Capricorn, Virgo, Libra/Venusian - Mediator (or the circuit breaker if they decide they've had enough.)
Pluto/Scorpio/8H- Catalyst
Strong Saturn - Scapegoat
Strong Neptune - Martyr/Victim

Sullivan also gave examples of certain prominent Saturn placements that meant someone was either the oldest, an only child, or somehow significant (for example, the only boy with three sisters.) When I find the book tomorrow I'll look it up.

Cool idea for a thread.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
Just about ascendent as you asked, I've found it can. Whether by incidence or 'design' I do not know. Many of the women in my family (multiple generations) have Cancer ascendent. The newest and eldest female members of the family have this one, as well as my mother etc. Even more, I'm male, and the only known male with Cancer ascendent in the family too...:w00t:

M

may28gemini

I think that families share signs but as far as specifically rising signs, that could vary on the family.

My family we don't share risings. But I do notice some specific signs gets passed around a lot.

On my Dad's side of the family, Libra is the common theme. My Dad has Libra Mars and an overloaded 7th house. All of his 4 sisters are Libra Suns. 2 of the Libra sisters each had 1 child and both kids came out Libra Suns. One Libra child (a cousin) is excessively Libra (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Pluto all in the 7th house). Even I have 3 Libra planets and I'm Libra rising.

On my Mom's side of the family, Leo and Sagittarius run rampant. I won't get too into it because I think I've already clearly illustrated my point.

M

may28gemini

My dad has Sun square Saturn (0.04 orb) and he is a living breathing example of that aspect as he has had a rough, cold relationship with his father. Me and my brother have that Sun/Saturn aspect too (3.28 orb). My dad has Sun square Moon and so does my sister as well. In conclusion I believe that these behaviours that are being passed down definately have a link to the aspects on the charts that my family members share.

I think those with Sun/Saturn aspects tend to have it a bit tougher with their fathers in general.

My Dad has the conjunction (yikes) in Scorpio and Sun square Moon. He and his father clashed and never made up. As a matter of fact, my Dad struggled with that fact after his father died. Deep down, my Dad wanted approval from his father but never received it.

Only me and my uber Libra cousin are born with Libra Saturn on both sides of our families and we both have Sun/Saturn. He and I were raised as siblings and we are looked up to as the equalizers of the family. Both he and I strangely hold sway in our families where whatever we say, goes (esp. when I start to go off on my philosophical rants).

He has the conjunction (in Libra) and he's always clashed with his father and protected his mother from him (Sun-Moon conjunction). He's an only child and that conjunction is tough on his senses as deep down he wants to be close to his father but doesn't feel it.

I have the trine (3 degree orb) but even then that has it roughness. There was a lot of abuse between my parents, namely my father inflicted it on my mother and I'd get caught up in the middle. When I was really a tiny youngster, I was close to my father but at some point, I lost respect for him and although I never battled directly against him, I felt disconnected from him. I always did lament our lost closeness, despite being on the receiving end of abuse, I wanted the closeness to come back. When I realized that it wouldn't be the case (around age 23), I cut off all communication with him. I didn't start to understand him and appreciate him until the start of my Saturn's return (at 28) and reopened the communication lines again. Turned out, he's waited for me to "come back" all that time, too. I have Sun-Moon quintile.

I think Sun/Saturn gives a deep insight into the native's relationship with their fathers and to a larger extent, how they relate to authority and tradition overall. I think depending on what sign Saturn is in shows how it can be resolved. Even though I have the trine, it's still a very difficult effect but I will say, because of the trine, my father and I never lost hope that we could mend our fences. Perhaps that's the difference.

M

may28gemini

Ya I agree, I think the harder aspects give a rebellious, pretentious, impatient, resentful and sometimes irrational attitude toward authority at a younger age, but judging by my dad these circumstances are reversed through harsh "reality checks" eventually leading to a responsible person with good morals and someone who doesn't cut corners. But I'm sure there are people who try to resist the change demanded with this aspect as well and don't ever reach their (sic) full potential.

That's a very clear and concrete way of explaining Sun-Saturn aspects. Thanks. I see that, too, especially the rebellious irrationality.