How Long Are Eclipses in Effect?

JUPITERASC

On a related thread, the following interesting question was asked:
Next the question is how long are eclipses in effect? Various astrologers disagree, but I think that the effects can last longer than most people think....
Since the other thread topic is based on a specific natal chart, I thought it a good idea to begin a separate thread for a discussion regarding the various astrological opinions regarding how long eclipses are in effect.

Amongst those who study Eclipses from an astrological perspective, it is common knowledge from ancient sources that an eclipse life span is based upon the length of time that the light from the Sun is temporarily blocked during a Solar Eclipse OR when a shadow is cast upon the Moon during a Lunar eclipse.

The following is a link to Nasa's Fred Espanek's astronomical data which is gathered from numerous eclipses : http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2012-Fig01.pdf

On these detailed data pages we find important information regarding
Eclipse “shadow periods” and learn that these can last for up to four hours and longer

As an example, the following are details on the Annular Solar Eclipse of 20 May 2012

External/Internal
Contacts of Umbra

U1 = 22:06:16.9 UT

U2 = 22:11:46.7 UT
U3 = 01:33:42.6 UT
U4 = 01:39:10.9 UT

The eclipse first contact commences at 22:06:16.9 UT (Universal Time) and ends at 01:39:10.9 UT (Universal Time).

Thus we note the duration of the entire Eclipse (and not just 'totality') of the 20 May 2012 has a “shadow period” of approximately 3 hours 33 minutes and therefore has the potential of showing its effects for approximately the following three and a half years

That's because, according to ancient sources, the number of hours a Solar Eclipse total “shadow period” lasts is equal to the length of time in years that its effects can last. So in this example case, Eclipse effects may "be triggered" at any time within the three and a half years following the 3 hours 33 minutes Solar eclipse of 20 May 2012 by any planet transiting/aspecting that particular eclipse degree. As well as that, eclipse effects can also occur during the weeks before the Eclipse if a transiting planet "triggers" the forthcoming Eclipse by conjuncting the forthcoming Eclipse degree

Although Lunar Eclipses are said to have an influence of up to six months their effects have been observed to last much longer. Unsurprisingly however, there is disagreement regarding the duration of effects of Eclipses in general, so the best advice is to observe the events of your own life as well as the lives of friends and family and then draw your own conclusions.
In general, astrologers agree that the prenatal eclipse degree is a “sensitive point” in your natal chart which rewards careful observation because your prenatal eclipse degree is potentially “active” for a lifetime :smile:

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
In general, astrologers agree that the prenatal eclipse degree is a “sensitive point” in your natal chart which rewards careful observation because your prenatal eclipse degree is potentially “active” for a lifetime :smile:

Excellent post, JUPITERASC. I what little research I have been able to do on eclipses, the one point that has been hammered home is that the prenatal eclipse is the one that occurred the closest to the native's birthday. I have often wondered about other eclipses that happen during our time in the womb, and why they wouldn't also be sensitive points in one's chart.

JUPITERASC

According to Bill Meridian tsmall:

“Eclipse paths are an astrological technique that can pin point important areas on the surface of the earth for you individually. When you were born there had to be an eclipse near your birth. By a method developed in the 1930's by Lorne Edward Johndhro of California, which he later passed on to Charles A Jayne Junior of New York, we can determine which eclipse is your eclipse path. This could be an area that could be very important to you during your life, whether you go there or not. People from that area, ideas from that area, products from that area, can be very important to you. If you are like me, you wind up living right under your eclipse path!”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t4FQbwji1g&feature=related

Bill Meridian has written a book "Predictive Power of Eclipse Paths" in which he details this technique and which he discusses on the video link
:smile:

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing, but I think the author was speaking largely about solar eclipses. What I found to be more interesting is that the first couple of slides he shows are for people born the day of a solar eclipse.

Information on eclipse paths can be found here

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/solar.html

Also, his own eclipse path is for an eclipse that occurred after he was born. Still, and interesting video.

JUPITERASC

Thank you for sharing, but I think the author was speaking largely about solar eclipses. What I found to be more interesting is that the first couple of slides he shows are for people born the day of a solar eclipse.

Information on eclipse paths can be found here

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/solar.html

Also, his own eclipse path is for an eclipse that occurred after he was born. Still, and interesting video.
The video discusses mundane matters illustrated in the book

The natal part of the book explains "birth eclipse" is eclipse nearest to birth, before or after. This is usually a solar eclipse, but can be a lunar.
Eclipses on the same area can be studied as eclipse families. An eclipse can link two places together. There are eclipses that activate other eclipses, from decades earlier. Events that happen on or around an eclipse can have fateful outcomes when activated by later eclipses. Every 18 years or so, eclipses repeat, which can have significant impact. All of which is to say that a solar eclipse remains a sensitive point for years, decades, even centuries. Far longer than anyone had previously thought.

"This book will revolutionize the study of eclipses"
Cycles Research, 329 pages. http://www.billmeridian.com/ppoep.html :smile:

Last edited: