Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Mundane Astrology

Mundane Astrology Discuss the astrology of towns, cities, states, provinces, countries, empires, and the world in general.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

When have all the planets aligned?

I'm here with a friend who asked me, when have all the planets aligned and when will they do it again?

I had a search on Google and found nothing of relevance. Does anyone know when the last time all 9 planets conjoined and when will this happen again?

Cheers
HoldOrFold

Advertisements:
Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Re: When have all the planets aligned?

Fascinating question! I wonder if it's ever happened. It's probably unlikely. A computer program would probably be able to find this out quite easily.

I would like to extend the quesion and ask people what the most planets conjunct at once that they know of is.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM

There is a book that will help but not with nine planets:-

"Tables of Planetary Phenomena by Neil F. Michelsen"

link below:-

http://www.astrocom.com/astrology-pr...tary-phenomena
Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Katydidit

Yes, Michelson – my first ephemeri – bought the 70s and the 80s ten-year compilations as he published them. His widow, aka Maria Kay Simms, was one of my esoteric tutors in the 70s, just a year or two before she met Neil and moved to California. I met with her for my first and only astrology lesson. I know she tried to help me understand my natal chart – but the only thing I remember is her sending me home to learn my glyphs. Her place, ‘Mystic Arts’ was where I found my love of same. I spent a lot of time there – met up with many old souls. It was one of her classes that led me to the Transneptunians.
Here’s a link to Maria, who continued after Neil passed on. To quote the pertinent:

“Also, in 1973, she began studying astrology. Years later, now in Connecticut, Maria formed her first business, Mystic Arts, combining her interests in a metaphysical shop with art gallery where she also taught classes and sponsored events.”

Yup, I would highly recommend any Michelson compilation. Might have to buy the book myself, as a matter of fact. Fascinating possibilities.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM

I asked this same question here a while back and Frank ran it through his computer. I think the answer was "never" that he could find in his software. Of course there are limitations... That was a good discussion for a while here if we could still find it.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:43 AM

In hermetic doctrine, all the planets were in alignment when the Earth first took form; of course, this is probably meant as a symbolic statement rather than as a historical fact (but then, who knows??)
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
HoldOrFold (11-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldOrFold View Post
I'm here with a friend who asked me, when have all the planets aligned and when will they do it again?

I had a search on Google and found nothing of relevance. Does anyone know when the last time all 9 planets conjoined and when will this happen again?
Cheers
HoldOrFold
fwiw - source: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=203

QUOTE:
When astrologers speak of the planets being aligned (something which doesn't really concern astronomers) they don't mean that the planets will actually all lie on a straight line at some instant of time.

One calculation of alignments within around thirty degrees (about as close as they can get) shows that the last such alignment was in 561 BC, and the next will be in 2854.

All nine planets are somewhat aligned every 500 years, and are grouped within 30 degrees every 1 to 3 alignments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let your food be your medicine: let your medicine be your food. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY red cabbage sliced Equatorially illustrates the Golden Mean Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM

Good point, and quite accurate: however, the hermetic "myth" (?) indicated all lined up straight (in a straight line)!
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
piercethevale (10-02-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Good point, and quite accurate: however, the hermetic "myth" (?) indicated all lined up straight (in a straight line)!
Obviously, anything is possible...

IMO "Myths" are frequently based on actual events... just no tangible "evidence to prove the Myth"/ the "story" is "misunderstood" - hence "it's a Myth"

IMO Universes/Multiverses "change" as do people, plants, animals, planets and so on and so forth.

Some time ago I was interested to read that our home planet Earth Day once consisted of eighteen hours (based on 'reading' fossilised shells of sea creatures sensitive to ocean tides/rhythms based on the revolution of our fair planet)

Currently our days are longer - hence "the Earth is slowing down"... gradually.

Very gradually!
We measure time currently using "atomic clocks"

Among the reasons for Earth's slowing whirl on its axis are the braking action of tides, snow or the lack of it at the polar ice caps, solar wind, space dust and magnetic storms, according to the U.S. Commerce Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology, another timekeeper.

In 1970, an international agreement established two time scales: one based on the Earth's rotation and another on highly accurate atomic clocks. The U.S. Naval Observatory's master clock is based on a system that now includes 50 atomic clocks, 36 based on the element cesium and 14 known as hydrogen masers. With the Earth's rotation gradually slowing, the periodic insertion of a leap second into the atomic time scale is needed to keep the two systems within a second of each other.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2008/1...4BR1DC20081229

The accuracy of an atomic clock depends on the temperature of the sample atoms—colder atoms move much more slowly, allowing longer probe times, as well as having reduced collision rates—and on the frequency and intrinsic width of the electronic transition. Higher frequencies and narrow lines increase the precision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let your food be your medicine: let your medicine be your food. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY red cabbage sliced Equatorially illustrates the Golden Mean Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Although in Western astrology the constellations were stopped approx. two thousand years ago, an astrology programme gives fairly accurate points when planets rise, culminate, set or are on nadir, so apart from a constellation problem, i don't have a problem with astrologers over when they align, planets are easy to work out, however not keen on projected measure on fixed stars....different subject.

Tables of Planetary Phenomena is a good book, hell i'm a hybrid between astronomy and astrology, love the computer mandala's between planets, graph below from book:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 160 50%.jpg (91.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Although i'm a hybrid, i can say that astronomers are VERY INTERESTED when large Gas planets align, in our solar system when this happens it pulls the Sun off its axis, something that is dealt with in the book i mention.

As telescopes got more powerful, we can see this wobble with other stars, thus we know they have planets, it is a way of noting solar systems light years away!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Indeed being a hybrid, i see many jokes with the Neil F. Michelson book, Tables of Planetary Phenomena", a small part of the book gives computer graphics over planetary orbits, as you know when viewing Venus orbit from Earth, it will show a pentacle, heart or rose, this is how it seems with retrograde analysis, obviously other planets would seem different, so if you were sitting on Chiron the wounded healer, the retrograde mandala from Uranus would look like link below, image comes from Neil Michelson, his last book Planetary Phenomena and computer graphics....graph on link:-

http://2012forum.com/forum/download/...4635&mode=view

It always makes me giggle...if Uranus had a medical problem, then Chiron would try to heal it!

The Joke and Caption is:- "Hard working Chiron has "piles" of healing to do to poor old Uranus, what a pain in the Butt!"
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM

It happens all the time...well, sort of.

1983 was that big scare called teh Jupiter Effect where "all" the planets lined up. The next is Dec 21, 2012 where Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Mars, Uranus and Neptune, align.

Here is a great link that describes all the alignments, which planets were involved and the dates:

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/etsuobs/.../planalign.htm

best wishes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachiel View Post
It happens all the time...well, sort of.

1983 was that big scare called teh Jupiter Effect where "all" the planets lined up. The next is Dec 21, 2012 where Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Mars, Uranus and Neptune, align.

Here is a great link that describes all the alignments, which planets were involved and the dates:

best wishes
That's a good link. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachiel View Post

Thanks a lot for that link, it's an excellent article.

An additional way to view these planetary alignments is provided by the Planetary Aspects and Transits software. Here are images of the three alignments mentioned in that article:

Here is the alignment for February 5, 1962, showing a 5-stellium formed by the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and the Moon:

Of the three, this is the closest alignment. The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets (which you can find by moving back and forward by 30 minutes in the software) is 1°21' at 03:00 GMT on February 5.

Here is the alignment for May 9, 2000, showing a 5-stellium formed by the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn:

The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets is 4°14' at 20:00 GMT on May 9.

Here is the alignment for September 8, 2040, showing a 5-stellium formed by Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The Moon joins them so that from 08:30 GMT on September 8 to 04:30 GMT on September 9 there are actually six 5-stelliums (quite possibly a 6-stellium, but since these are so rare the software has not been written to detect them).

The minimum average pairwise separations of the five planets (other than the Moon) is 4°58' at midnight GMT on September 7-8.

Last edited by planet9; 08-13-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM

The February 1962 alignment was considered the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius"..

There was a total solar eclicse closely conjunct Mercury, Venus, SN and Jupiter (all within 3°) in Aquarius, with a Saturn/Mars conjunction, also in Aquarius, positioned 12° before the eclipse. So all the inner (or classic) planets were within 16° of each other in Aquarius. (See attached chart)

Some interesting links on the astrology of "The Dawning of the age of Aquarius" :

http://greatbear.mcn.org/aquar.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~gnosisla/February5.html
http://www.astrolutely.com/articles-...piring-Matters
http://thewisemag.com/astrology/item...e-aquarian-age
http://www.stardoves.com/Age_of_Aquarius.htm

This alignment happened 50 years ago, one Chiron cycle..

Attaching the 1962 solar eclipse chart:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 alignment.jpg (79.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Bina; 08-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
The February 1962 alignment was considered the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius"..

There was a total solar eclicse closely conjunct Mercury, Venus, SN and Jupiter (all within 3°) in Aquarius, preceded by a Saturn/Mars conjunction, also in Aquarius, only 12° before the eclipse. So all the inner (or classic) planets were within 16° of each other in Aquarius.
Thanks to Bina for reminding us of this (or for bringing this to our attention in case we never knew of it). One correction, however: The Saturn/Mars conjunction occurred after the 5-stellium and solar eclipse, not before (but still in Aquarius). Here's the PAT image for the time of the conjunction:

At this time Venus has formed an opposition with Uranus, and the Moon has entered into a trine and three semisextiles.

Last edited by planet9; 08-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet9 View Post
The Saturn/Mars conjunction occurred after the 5-stellium and solar eclipse, not before (but still in Aquarius).
Yes, you are right, the actual conjunction of Mars and Saturn occurred a couple of days after the eclipse.

What i meant is that the Mars/Saturn conjunction is positioned before the eclipse and the other very close planets to it on the chart of the eclipse (which i attached). It is actually also a part of the stellium.

Thanks for pointing it out, i've corrected the wording in my other post and hope it is clearer now.

Last edited by Bina; 08-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Richard Tarnas has a lot to say about the 1960s in his book Cosmos & Psyche. At this web page we read:

Quote:
Right now [in 2012] we are going through an approximately fifteen-year world transit involving Uranus and Pluto coming into a significant alignment. This is the first such alignment since the 1960s, when they were in conjunction from 1960 to 1972. If you look systematically in history at every time these two bodies, Uranus and Pluto, come into a conjunction, an opposition, or a ninety-degree square alignment, it’s with great consistency that there is a very powerful, mass insurgence of emancipatory and creative energies in the collective psyche, which express themselves typically in a great deal of social and political turmoil and ferment through impulses toward reform and liberation.
The 15-year world transit that Tarnas refers to is actually the square aspect which (with an orb of 15 degrees, somewhat larger than usual) began in 2007 and will end in 2019. The attached YPT screenshot shows (in the transit table) the dates of the start and end of the transits for orbs 8 degrees and 1 degree. Note that with an orb of 8 degrees (more usual for squares) this transit began in February 2011 and will continue until July 2016. This screenshot also shows the dates/times of the seven exact Uranus-Pluto squares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ypt_screenshot_uranus_pluto_square_2007-2019.jpg (86.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by planet9; 08-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 AM

Using the PAT software I found another 5-stellium prior to the one (shown above) in 2040. This one is on June 14, 2032, and is composed of the Sun, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Uranus. Using an orb of 10° for conjunctions, it lasts from June 7 until June 22. The minimum average separation is 3°20' at around 10:00 GMT on June 14. Here's the PAT image:

Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM

What do you guys think of this article by NASA?? I recommend it.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
In hermetic doctrine, all the planets were in alignment when the Earth first took form; of course, this is probably meant as a symbolic statement rather than as a historical fact (but then, who knows??)
Yes! The current astro physicists theory is that the Sun ejaculated ne very large globual and that 'globual of matter boke up at at lest 9 different points until one rather small globula was left [Pluto]
The kabbalists say that the first day of this creation was that day we presently observe as being the beginning of Autumn. [translation: this is the true Thema Mundi, i.e. "The creation of our own Solar System" , Everything was stretched out in a straight line from Aries 01* to Libra 01*.
Here's the 'tricky part" though. As I have found that there are two Astro cycles that may be planetary, if there are two more Planets beyond Pluto that has orbits around the Sun of 666 and 888 years. All the other astro bodys, when they conj. with another inscribe a matrix pattern around the zodia. For example, the Sun and Venus create pentagrams, The Sun and Moon in certain type of eclipses create trines but not in a way that eventuall becomes a 'Star of Solomon or David, but rather a 'Nonagon' 9 angles of 40* around the Zodiac. I haven't checked and confirmed yet but someone told me or nudged me into thinking that Mercury and the Sun make Stars of Solomon.
Whether these two cycles are of something physical or are of the abstract, that thing to note is that any two objects that have those numbers [666 years and 888 years as their respective cycles will only conj. at one point on the entire Zodiac wheel. That occurs every 2664. Ten of those cycles amounts to 26, 640 ...that is the time span of the 'Great Yuga' of Vedic science. [Pluto will conj there too every 108 orbits. Pluto is currently believed to take 248.9 years to make one orbit. Multiplying 108 x 248.9 = 26, 881... that's really close in this bisness. The 'fudge factor' could easily account for the difference.
[their are 108 beads on a Mala {Hindu Rosary] and there are 54 beads on a Rosary... Can you see the implications?]
Getting back to the 'Tricky Part', I ahve a ton of evidence demonstrating that thse two influences [Astro or abstract] always meet at Libra 01*.
As I have produced a natal chart for the date Edgar Cacye [ the legendary American clairvoyant of the Highest acclaim and renown] gave for the birth of Yeshu'a ben David of Nazareth...which I'm 99.9% sure it is the natal chart of the Man... that chart has Pluto in the 1st degree of Libra on that date Cayce gave for the birth of Yeshua. Everytine the astro influence 666 goes through the Zodiac ithits one of the four chart axis points of that natal chart for the man from Naz. I have been doing a timeline in history research project...it's ongoing...probably will continue right up to the time I pass on out of here.] That is every 166.5 , 333, 499.5 and 666 years "somthing wicked this way comes". Every 222, 444, 666 and 888 years, thing happen here on Earth that are for the better good of all.
When Pluto conj. this meeting every 26, 640 years, there's the birth of an Avatar. [The Vedas note this]. As there is a cycle of 666 years that is known as the Saros and involves eclipses of a special kind. I suspect that this 'Avatar event' takes place on the first Full Moon post the completion of 10 Saros...thus the Avatar is always of an Aries Sun. [The chart I have for the Man from Naz. @ nearly 29* Virgo 30' , the Sun at 11* Aries 52...that means that the Full Moon event was less than 24 hours away.]
So, if Pluto is of import to the Avatar event and it is in the first degree of Libra along with those two astro [or abstract] influences and the Sun in Aries. Then how could it have been the first day of what we now regard as Autumn?
Unless, the majority of the worlds population in the beginning times was in the Southern hemisphere and not the Northern.
If one could keep turning back the computer ephemeris for a great deal more many years than we can at the present...keep turning it back, turning it back...then eventually you would see all the Planets and the Sun in one sraight line and from our pov, the Sun, mercury and Venus would all be conj, in the 1st degree of aries and all the Planets from Mars, the planet that was originally in orbit between Mars and Jupiter that has become reduced to rubble and is presently referred to as the Asteroids, Saturn and theTrans-Saturnians all conj. in the 1st degree of Libra. I will eventually be in that position again...it may takes million or even billions of years ...but it will be in that alignment again,

oh...btw...member "i'mnotthere' informed me the other day that Dante, the great writer, stated that he believed that Jesus [Yeshu'a] was born of an Aries Sun with a Libra Moon. Well a Moon at 29' Virgo 30' is getting a lot of Libran influence...it will be a Libran moon in less than an hour. At moon rise with in 24 hours of being a Full Moon and at an angle of 11 to 12 degrees from a true opposition it is actually larger at the rise than the moonrise that Luminary makes when it is exactly Full. It obfuscated Pluto and the Star..the 'Star' was in the first degree of Libra too...it was over 0ne degree in projection upon the Zodiac...so one could say it was in 01* Libra as well as Virgo 30*

Last edited by piercethevale; 09-30-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Loving this!

As you approach truth, your solitude increases. - Michel Houellebecq
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM

Here's an instance (I suppose it is extremely rare) where the Sun, Moon and five planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Uranus and Neptune) are all pairwise conjunct -- actually at the time shown the maximum pairwise separation is 8°50'. Also they are all in Capricorn.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
fwiw - source: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=203

QUOTE:
When astrologers speak of the planets being aligned (something which doesn't really concern astronomers) they don't mean that the planets will actually all lie on a straight line at some instant of time.

One calculation of alignments within around thirty degrees (about as close as they can get) shows that the last such alignment was in 561 BC, and the next will be in 2854.

All nine planets are somewhat aligned every 500 years, and are grouped within 30 degrees every 1 to 3 alignments.
Here's an excerpt from a piece I wrote and published in 2004

<Sometime around May 574 BCE the three outermost planets – Pluto, Neptune and Uranus, were all aligned with Jupiter. This is the only instance of this particular triple conjunction (not taking into account Jupiter) in the period covered by what is generally referred to as “recorded history”, and to my knowledge this alignment of the outer planets (even without Jupiter) will not happen again within the next three thousand years. So you’d expect something pretty spectacular to happen around then wouldn’t you?

Well – let me see. According to the history books, the century from around 600BCE is the beginning of what is known as the Axial Age “because of the number of key figures living at this time who profoundly influenced later generations”.>

The best place to start looking for alignments are Jupiter/Saturn conjunctions - because without that aspect you can't get an alignment of all the planets!

These happen every 20 years - give or take a few months - and quite often a stellium (planets all in the same sign of the zodiac ie within a 30deg grouping) happens alongside the conjunction. But, as I said in the bit above, the only one I could find using the graphic ephemeris on my astro program was the one in around 574BC, and there isn't one as far ahead as I could get it to go which is about 3,000 years.

So, the planets were in a stellium around the time of the Axial Age - which is probably the closest we may get to a full alignment of all the planets

Tags
aligned, planets