What does Ascendant Conjunct South Node mean?

DogCrazy

First of all, if my North Node is Libra 26 degrees 6 min, then does that mean that my South Node is Aries 26 degrees 6 min? If not, how do I go about finding the degree associated with the South Node?

Secondly, what would it mean if my ascendant conjuncts someone's south node? Would it have any special significance if they lie within 1 min of each other?

Horus

First of all, if my North Node is Libra 26 degrees 6 min, then does that mean that my South Node is Aries 26 degrees 6 min? If not, how do I go about finding the degree associated with the South Node?

You've got it right. It's diametrically opposed, a polar axis.

Secondly, what would it mean if my ascendant conjuncts someone's south node? Would it have any special significance if they lie within 1 min of each other?

Yeah, it means that you knew them before.

DogCrazy

Thank you, Horus! It's amazing how many tips on reading charts I have picked up since joining this forum just a few days ago :happy:

Now suppose with this same person, I also have Moon Conjunct Venus, Moon Trine Saturn, Venus Conjunct Chiron and Mars Oppose Lilith -- all of these within a max of 44 min orb. Can they give any insights into what form of past life connection there might have been? Or do we look at other aspects for karmic connections? Is there a book that you might recommend for someone wanting to learn more about synastry?

Horus

I take non-planetary bodies with a grain of salt. There are thousands of asteroids. Sometimes I'll look at Chiron and Juno, but only as an afterthought. Aspects involving those can't make or break the deal, IMHO. Moon conjunct Venus and Moon trine Saturn are really great interaspects, but you really need to post a synastry bi-wheel from astro.com for us to tell anything.

I've learned the most about synastry here, and from various websites. I also use a couple of programs like Lyn Birkbeck's Instant Astrologer.

DogCrazy

Unfortunately, I can't create a synastry bi-wheel since his birth time is unknown. I actually posted separate charts for us in a different thread titled "Ties in Synastry" as well as a list of planets and asteroids with the degrees and minutes. Rahu gave me a very good reading using midpoints, etc. Now I am interesting in delving a bit more into the karmic angles. Contacts with this person has been increasing in its intensity, especially lately... and with distinct feelings of past life connections. So I'm curious if this is just a figment of my imagination or do our charts show anything in terms of our past lives? Should I re-post the charts here?

Horus

In synastry, what orb do you use for nodes and angles?

I make a judgement call on that in the context of the whole chart.

You can look at higher orbs, but interapects at 3° or less tells you what's ruling the picture.

I allow a couple more ° for conjunctions, and up to 8 if it's a conjunction between luminaries because that much energy WILL be felt!

A planet to a point, and points to points, should be kept tight -circa 3°

Last edited:

DogCrazy

I allow a couple more ° for conjunctions, and up to 8 if it's a conjunction between luminaries because that much energy WILL be felt!
This is very interesting! Now suppose you are looking at two synastries: 1) Between persons A & B and 2) Between persons A & C. If the same luminary-related aspect shows up in both but in one chart it has a 5 degree gap while in the other synastry it has a less than 1 degree gap, does it mean that the characteristics of that aspect will be far stronger for the latter relationship than the former one?

Last edited:

Horus

This is very interesting! Now suppose you are looking at two synastries: 1) Between persons A & B and 2) Between persons A & C. If the same luminary-related aspect shows up in both but in one chart it has a 5 degree gap while in the other synastry it has a less than 1 degree gap, does it mean that the characteristics of that aspect will be far stronger for the latter relationship than the former one?

Yes, an aspect at a closer orb is stronger than the same aspect at a wider orb.

Lion o ness

Yes, an aspect at a closer orb is stronger than the same aspect at a wider orb.

Do you think that wide orbs also take longer for the people to feel?

Meaning, if the orb is wide and the people only know each other for a brief time, then the energy wont be felt at all...
But if the two people know each other for years and years.. Then BAM one day that energy is felt.... Kind of like a delay in the energy...
I personal have had this happen to me with people I have known for years...

Horus

Do you think that wide orbs also take longer for the people to feel?

Meaning, if the orb is wide and the people only know each other for a brief time, then the energy wont be felt at all...

Possibly, I think much depends on what the interaspect is. Some may not really come into play until a couple starts living together.

But if the two people know each other for years and years.. Then BAM one day that energy is felt.... Kind of like a delay in the energy...
I personal have had this happen to me with people I have known for years...

LOL! "Timebomb Interaspects"! Quick - patent, trademark, copyright it before it gets away!

Lion o ness

Possibly, I think much depends on what the interaspect is. Some may not really come into play until a couple starts living together.

LOL! "Timebomb Interaspects"! Quick - patent, trademark, copyright it before it gets away!

Well this guy I have know for 7 years his Venus widely conjuncts my NN by 9 orbs... I always looked at him, but avoided him, rarely talking to him.. After 7 years we FINALLY talked, now I feel destined to love him.. I never felt that way before.

Horus

Well this guy I have know for 7 years his Venus widely conjuncts my NN by 9 orbs... I always looked at him, but avoided him, rarely talking to him.. After 7 years we FINALLY talked, now I feel destined to love him.. I never felt that way before.

That's a pretty wide orb even for natal, and too much for synastry. I'm sure that the feelings and the connection is reflected somewhere else in the synastry.

Lion o ness

That's a pretty wide orb even for natal, and too much for synastry. I'm sure that the feelings and the connection is reflected somewhere else in the synastry.

humm maybe its the Composite then.. Composite Sun/Mercury is on the SN.. Composite Mars is on the NN..

DogCrazy

Suppose his sun conjunct my descendant within a 4 degree 20 min orb... would you take that into account? Or is it too wide because it's not a luminary?

Horus

Suppose his sun conjunct my descendant within a 4 degree 20 min orb... would you take that into account? Or is it too wide because it's not a luminary?

No the Sun is a luminary so the orb can extend for that. Even if it was not the Sun, and something else like Jupiter, the question is do you "feel" the effect? Does something about this persons essential being (will, ego, purpose=Sun) cause you to see them as a romantic partner? That's what happens when someone else's planets conjunct the dsc or land in the 7th house.

DogCrazy

No the Sun is a luminary so the orb can extend for that.
That makes sense, thank you!

Even if it was not the Sun, and something else like Jupiter, the question is do you "feel" the effect? Does something about this persons essential being (will, ego, purpose=Sun) cause you to see them as a romantic partner? That's what happens when someone else's planets conjunct the dsc or land in the 7th house.
Well, if the effect is one of being driven nuts by this person...:whistling: then YES!!!

Incidentally, his Jupiter does conjunct my descendant, by 3+ degrees. His Mercury too by 6+ degrees.

Here's what I am also getting so far:
My Sun Sextile his Venus (2+ degree orb)
His Sun Trine my Jupiter (1+ deg orb)
His Moon Conjunct my Venus (0 deg orb)
My Moon Sextile his Mars (2+ deg orb)
His Moon Trine my Saturn (0 deg orb)
My Moon Sextile his Neptune (1+ deg orb)
My Moon Trine his Pluto (0 deg orb)
His Moon Oppose my Pluto (2+ deg orb)
My Venus Sextile his Saturn (2+ deg orb)
My Venus Conjunct his Chiron (0 deg orb)
His Venus Trine my Chiron (1+ deg orb)
My Mars Sextile his Neptune (1+ deg orb)
My Mars Sextile his Pluto (0 deg orb)
My Jupiter Trine his Jupiter (2+ deg orb)
My Ascendant Conjunct his South Node (0 deg orb -- by a measly 1 minute)

What do you think?? Intense much??

Horus

Sextiles are not typically "intense" and are the weakest of the major aspects, almost belonging to the list of minor aspects. Maybe belonging somewhere in between like the quincunx. They take conscious cooperation to get the benefit.

Those Moon-Venus, Moon-Pluto aspects are the significant "intense" ones if you need an explanation from that list.