Astrological Prejudice and Stereotypes

Arian Maverick

This thread is dedicated to every astrology enthusiast who has ever felt unfairly typecasted due to their sun sign...

Therefore, I expect everyone to participate! :D

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Francesca

I really have no complaint, because in all ways save one , I am totally stereotypical. With sun,moon,venus, and mercury all conjunct in Cancer, I have all the traits and faults associated with Cancer sun, except I am not conservative- I tend toward the Uranian/radical. All Cancer placements are in the 11th, BTW.

Are you feeling stereotyped, Maverick? How?

Lynns

I was thinking of this as well, I did not know there was a thread here!
Actually it was a bit different, but I can't recall it now.

(-) Things I've heard about a libran: indecisive, materialistic, bimbotic, promiscuous, lazy, loves luxury, extremely social to the point of social climbing, wussy, weak, pretty vase or arm candy, detached, unemotional etc.

(+) Things: fair, compromising, friendly, warm, mediator, intellectual, aesthete, harmonious etc.

I guess I would say all is true, somewhat.. but the beauty of it is that we're not made up of only one general sign, even if we are, the asteroid or houses also throw a focused energy off kilter.. so there's a mix of energies.

For instance, I guess I'm more indecisive than many because my merc is also in libra. But I have a saturn influence on my venus and sun so the saturn tends to thwart my 'happier' libran traits - as in, i'm more ascetic than materialist, even though I admit I adore pretty and luxurious things, but I don't actually get them most of the time. It also tones down socialability and promiscuity.

For some who say Libra has NO backbone, they miss out that Libra is a cardinal sign, and most of the time they are trying their darndest to smooth things over in the most non threatening of ways, so there is less conflict. I find myself either being the mediator, or just escaping the situation altogether and not get involved.

People have called me sleek, and evasive before, as if I was plotting something to thwart and sneak in a point and make it go unnoticed. Usually those who pick this up are aries and fellow librans though - I guess being the polar opposite and the similar party, they instinctly grasp it. But one thing is I don't debate to win - but get understanding of different points of view. Usually I let the other win because I sense an impulsive need to emerge victorious in a mental debate (especially for guys i guess).

Oh, another thing is about libran's preoccupation with looks. I think alot of librans rely on their perceived good looks too much, and place good emphasis on it. I don't know, but sometimes a self esteem problem may result, especially if they think outer beauty is to be honed more than inner strength.

Also, promiscuity I guess is for afflicted Venus - especially the squares.
Lazy? Yes, very.. but those I see make up for that by working and focusing. Knowing that you're lazy deep within is enough.

Unemotional, I guess as much as the other air signs, but as much as I appear unemotional, I guess the feeling cannot be escaped - it's just not expressed in the way society sees it, in the way of a water or fire sign.

I guess the others are true too in a way, but they can always be toned down - Libra is the sign of moderation, and my strong saturnian energy keeps it in check.

Oh, I am quite clueless when involved with someone of my own sign. It's like being literally blind. I can say I understand people of my sign well, but it's different in a relationship.

What i get are, they're mysterious (or trying to be), flirtatious, flighty, non-focused, and basically I'm describing myself through my 'partner', basically, my blindspot that I'm not aware of till I get faced with someone with such horrid qualities ;-) Oh, and they need constant reassurance etc etc.

And one more I get is Libra really absolutely need to be in a relationship else they'd die. For me, I've never been in one, and I need to be really sure that it would be forever or I'd steer clear (one of the illusions I like to hold on to). I guess it comes about because Libra, being the relationship sign, needs a mirror, REAL bad... so they become social butterflies in order to understand themselves through other people, and a relationship too, to help them love themselves.

*phew I've written enough, hope I didn't come across as self centred *

Last edited:

I have never really been prejudiced about myself except maybe in a general way (by non-astrologers) who think that I have no humour and am very conservative, morally prudish and am socially inept. I got this a lot in school. However those who get to know me see a different side; for example, I have high moral standards for myself but I don't think I really impose them on anyone else (except that I believe in fairness for all).

Otherwise, I have a stereotype in my head of leos and scoprios. My dad is a wonderful leo and I think of him when I start stereotyping; he is a quiet leo. I generally find a leo very demanding, in your face and pushy. My mum is a sco and I think of her overwhelming and sufforcating nature and I carry this stereotype of sco; but I do love her a lot. But when I meet other Scos, they're not that crushing. I also have a stereotype prob with Virgos and Sags from the ones that I have met - two faced and esp sag - in your face, pushy etc. And I have a too positive stereotype of Gem, even if they are ratbags; as well as Aqu - my own sign and self-love.

Last edited:

lilllybelle

Thank you Arian for bringing this subject up. I hate it that when I tell people that I am a gemini and they instanstly make a comment about split personalitys. Gemini is the sign of the twins because we like to communicate ideas and thoughts. The twins represent two people standing on common ground shoulder to shoulder shairing their ideas. There is a misunderstanding of the basic symbolism of the twins. Even worse some pop astrology books further spread this erronous thinking. I don't have a spit personality nor am I excessively moody. Whew, I had wanted to get that off my chest for a while. Thank you! Lilllybelle

FlyAway

Yes, I'm a Cancer and I want to complain.
(And Scorpio is my ascendant so you better listen :D)
I really can't stand it that people think that I'm a sentimental nuturing mommy
who spoils her kids and who sits at home all day to knit and to cook.
Guess what, I don't even have kids and I can't cook.
And if I stay at home I rather read a book and no sentimental love story that I rather tear to pieces.
Amen :p

I also want to complain about all my Scorpio energy, I should be thankful that I'm not born in the Sign of the Beast.
Because I know all about her anger, revengeful and poisonous tricks.
With my Moon, Jupiter and Ascendant in Scorpio I know everything about it.
It's like having chronical PMS ;)
So can anyone get this beast out of my natal chart, that would be great.

On the other hand we might ask ourselves why we are prejudiced about the signs of others.
That depends on the experiences we have with certain people.
My bossy aunt the Lioness for instance, I was always nervous when she was around.
Although I had some Leo friends, who were warm and loyal company.
So I think I actually like Leos.

My father is a Capricorn, he can be so stubborn and stern, sometimes it looked like his heart was made of stone.
And that brought me to tears many times when I was younger.
(Yes, Cancers do cry easily, did I already mention that ;) )
I also had 2 Capricorn boyfriends, and they had the same problem,
they didn't show their emotions, they couldn't talk about it, they were afraid of physical intimacy.
And that's a hard thing to bear when you're partly made of water.
I still wouldn't like to date a Capricorn, I'm afraid I would bump into the same problems again.
Aloofness and fear of emotions.

Of course it's not just the sun sign, it is someone's personality, you like someone or you don't, there's chemistry or there isn't.
Being picky is okay, as long as you know why you're picky.

I suppose if you have had a bad experience with a sign you can't help yourself being prejudice to the sign. I have had a bad relationship with an Aries and I would run a mile from an Aries man now. Which is a very stereotypical attitude. But within the Aries sign I have best friends who are Aries. I think I choose more fiery friends who have lots of enthusiasm because I lack a lot of fire in my chart.

It is bit like my Virgo partner he has more fire because he has a Leo Moon and a Leo Ascendant. He has more fixed energy whereas I am very Mutable we seem to balance each other out being together.

Shining Ray

Howl

Four planets in Sagittarius, including Sun. I'm really not THAT tactless! Infact I don't think I'm tactless at all (that's what all Sagittarians say :rolleyes:). And I'm not goofy, overbearing, foolhardy or clumsy, either. Nor do I gamble, so there!

Summery Joy

Heh.. I like being stereotyped as a Leo. I'm not a typical Leo, but I love it when I'm recognized as one!

That was against the point of this thread, huh? Well.. ignore me :D

Lissa

I know this thread is very old,but it's a Sunday afternoon and I have nothing to do(in fact,I have lots of things to do,I'm just not that interested in doing them LOL),so here it goes..

As someone with Moon,Mercury and Venus in Aries,let me say I HATE to hear stupid stereotyped quotes about Aries(I'm sure Arian Maverick agrees with me:D ) violence and anger issues which sometimes don't even exist!You just need to type 'Aries' in the Google and a million different websites will appear,but they all seem to be agree at one point-that Aries are selfish, unsensitive pricks who have no consideration for others!Takes an Arian(or someone with proeminent Arian energy in their chart)to know Aries has feelings too,they're just hidden under all that energy and a restlessness,hyperactive attittude.

Another relativly famous stereotype-that Pisces are loving,unselfish creatures who can't hurt a fly.Being a Pisces Sun myself and having lots of Pisces in my group of friends,I've personaly seen some Pisces acting like they had an iceberg on their chest instead of a heart...A friend of mine who is a Pisces Sun with Mercury in Pisces,Moon in Libra,started a huge fight with her (now ex)boyfriend on the day his father had died when he was a child.How cruel can that be?...

But I think Leos are the most stereotyped of all.I don't know one single Leo that is really that self-centered and eager for atention as most astrology websites describe.It's not that Arians aren't really agressive,not that Pisces aren't full of compassion and Leos aren't proud,is that there are lots of things in a birth chart that balance each sign's traits,giving each sign a different 'flavour'.Those kinds of sterotypes are exacly the cause why so many people don't believe in astrology-because they can't relate to their sign and so just assume all the rest is quackery.

Sagmoon

sorehearted said:
Heh.. I like being stereotyped as a Leo. I'm not a typical Leo, but I love it when I'm recognized as one!

That was against the point of this thread, huh? Well.. ignore me :D
frist, thank you for the thread Arian Maverick!

i also want to say something about mee.. leo sun, sag moon as you see:).. although i also love to be stereotyped as a leo, i never do.... i'm very quite and never proud as astrology sees us. it's a different pride, not arrogant, not pushy, not egocentric, eemm well all the bad things.. i'd say it's a noble feeling, and nobility comes with pure heart that would never want to degrade others. so it happens that i want to shine on everyone and be kind, of course it would be nice to get that in return but people seldon do, so we leos rarely get the compliments we deserve. more than that if we do, we are so delighted that we instantly give twice as many. or we go out of our way to help someone to achieve or get something.. And finally, our pride, or dignity more like it, makes us more humble than anyone realises.. :) and moon in sag, that's just friendly and childish :)

Belgianmoonguy

Like someone said...
Bad experiences with one sign cause stereotypes...
I shy away from Pisces Sun ppl and Scorpio Moon ppl, but some of my friends are Pisces sun, and that works...

Cancer
I balance between dependant and independant
I rarely give a direct answer to questions
Moody doesn't even begin to describe me
And I personalize a lot and hate criticism

So
Some things they say are true...

But i'm most of the time there when ppl need me...

And Lissa
May be the Pisces you mentioned started a fight and didn't know it was that day his dad died x years ago...

Sagmoon

some pisces can sort of swing into being very harsh and cruel, they go out of it eventually.. my mum has a moon in pisces and my ganny has the sun.. my granny can express herself ina way that everyone will be shocked how unforgiving she is.. although i think she does that for the sake of making the immpression... still i think if they think they shoud do something, they will accept it and do it.. :S

Lissa

Compassion and empathy,two of Pisces' best qualities,can also be their major downfall...Pisces is so eager to give and share that they forget their own needs.Sometimes,they give others what they would like to have,believing with all their hearts their satisfying someone else's needs when everyone can see it's their using others to compensate their own needs.Pisces often forget to satisfy their own Ego,so they end up frustrated-and Pisces are not very good dealing with frustration and anger,so they sometimes explode on the wrong place at the wrong time.

And I have a Pisces grandmother too,ehehe...she's so caring and worried about us but Jesus,she does have a bad temper...

weee11

hehe, lets start my sun sign! - the scopio..
wow, even in this thread i saw bad stereotypes about the scorpions, and if i would read it when i was jsut a beginner in the astrology i would get realy hurt by that, but since i read so many bad things about my sun sign i know not to take it personaly..
well you know the bad traits so well, and as a metter of fact i was born with many of this traits, but what you dont know is that many scorpios want to have harmony with what surrounds them and want to be accepted and most importanat search for the harmony in themselvs and to accept thmselves and this is a very noble goal in my opinion.. and i'll take me for example of many things: i'm not realy a secretive person like astrologers would like to describe me in fact i got in troubles for reveling personals things about myself, i dont care to reveal things about myself but i demand respect and progressed liberal mind, a thing that not many people have, fortunetly i have realy good friends that posses a great mind and heart and as much as i dont want to look depndable, my friends are my reason to be happy and proud! and i tell all about me to my female partners aswell so they wont have ilussions about me hehehe..
scorpios like to torture and to manipulate? well it is depend of the education we recive i guess, i was raised on the values of peace love and friendship so i guess i dont have the will to torture my mates, and about manipulation, i can be manipulative but i dont want to be one because it would make me sad and hurt my ego knowing that i cant achive something by honor and fairnes..
scorpios see the world as black & white, good VS bad? well it is true especialy when we are children and have lack of objectivnes and experience in life.. i had a lot of bad times when i was younger because of this, and one of the lessons i learned is to look at the world with all the colours its gives so i enjoy humanity and people because i learnt to see the beuty in anyone of us.. in my vision i see all humanity as one being, the brotherhood and unity is what will make us one by progression of mind and soul, but thats another story hehe..

of course ther are many scorpios out ther that do follow all the negative traits as well as the positive, but when you see a scorpio and think about a scorpio you need to understand that he has its mission and inner will to be a better person and to live in a better world. because in astrology, the progressions of the scorpio is to become a freebird that give hope to the world..

so i sure am proud to be in scorpio sun sign!!

Last edited:

Sagmoon

weee11 said:
so i sure am proud to be in scorpio sun sign!!

you should be!

i have mars in scorpio and saturn... scorpios have deep feelings and are very noble, why else would we (me a leo) get along? they wouldn't betray their friends and can sympathise with their problems since they know what you're saying before you finish your sentence...

friendly,

sagmoon

Last edited:

unukalhai

On the contrary to the stunning quantity of naturally intolerant folks...

I've found astrology, in it's proper intended applications, to generate a more compassionate and understanding acceptance of everyone's traits, for better or worse. When one realizes that we're all born with various attributes, both "good" and "bad", and that we ourselves have both sides of the coin, we stop judging people based upon what's not "normal" or "accepted" to ourselves and start helping them transcend and connect with their true identity and it's most productive expression.

As for those who use the principles of astrology to condemn someone else, or to consider themselves better than another.. Do we even need recognize them? They are chaff, excess that should be discarded in a Plutonian purification ritual ;)

weee11

sagmoon - yup, some of my best friends are leos, and also female pals, they remind me myself, they love to love, they are sensitive yet proud.. they have something speical in their vibe, i feel something very beutiful and majesty in their energy.. maybe thats why i get along with you leos hehe =)

unukalhai - i totaly agree with you, about people who use astrology for condeming people.. and also greatly agree with you about how astrology helped me personally look at the world with more colours, and have more appriciation for people, it gave me a reason to understand that we are all human beings and born equal yet diffrent. thank you astrology ..

Lissa

Have you noticed there seems to be some astrological prejudice regarding planets as well?

I noticed some websites(and books too)have a very negative view of both Neptune and Saturn.I've read descriptions of harmonious Neptune aspects which sounded more negative than positive:tendency to be easily deluded and dream the day away,lack of common sense,etc.The same goes for Saturn-even my lovely Moon sextile Saturn has been described as making me cold and extremely reserved about my emotions!Seems like this planets can't be part of a sextile or trine without causing one to be too cautious,too impratical or too naive.I understand traditional astrology regards Saturn as the great malefic,but I personaly believe Saturn is a great teacher and represents prudence,ambition and strength,whereas Neptune is like an open door which leads us straight into almost magical worlds.

Lissa