No passion for any occupation - what should I do?

Milber

Hi everyone,
I find it difficult to read your own chart; so I was hoping you might be able to help me a bit with solving my occupational indecisiveness.

I've never been able to tell what I'd like to "become", neither as a child, nor as an adolescent, nor now (Mars in Libra), while everybody else seemed to have their heart or mind set on something sooner or later. I did an M.Sc in adult education, although I'd never really been into it, and than worked in New Media at a university. Afterwards I started freelancing as web designer (10th house venus), which doesn't really satisfy my need for mental activity, but still turned out to be a huge relief - not having to work in teams anymore or to report to stupid bosses, and being able to organise my own time (Aries M.C.). The problem is that it's not even earning me enough money to pay the rent. In fact, I've never been able to make a living from my income in my whole life, which is embarassing :sad: .

So with my Saturn return approaching I'm helplessly trying to find out what to do with my life and what to make a living from. I was thinking that it might be nice to start teaching tango - I've been dancing & performing for 4 years - but I've been looking for opportunities for quite some time unsuccessfully, and competition is awful.

The only thing my chart is telling me is that I should have studies law with Mars and Saturn in Libra but this is a little late now. So any hints would be appreciated.

Attachments

• natal_kath.jpg
    natal_kath.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 88

PaxMercurius

You would be amazing in sales - specifically, any kind of selling of beautiful material objects. Flowers, art, possibly (nice) food, hairdressing. Libran and Taurean things.

Teaching is far too cerebral a career for you - you need to be involved with people, preferably both competing with them (to give you drive and excitement) and working with them cooperatively. Your career really needs to involve beauty of some sort. Leo ACs also tend to love their hair...you may find that a good path to look into :)

I think what you are looking for in a career are more the 'feelings' and sense of purpose it will give you, rather than a specific job...I would write down a list of things you want to be feeling while you work. Do you want to be talking all the time? What things do you like to feel in a workplace? What kinds of feelings energise you? Geminis invariably hate to do this (in my experience, and as a fellow Gem sun who progressed into Cancer), but once you have a list of things you want emotionally, you can choose a pathway based on that. The job will, in some ways, be incidental.

Don't limit yourself to the one thing, either. Aries likes to start things, not finish them. You might be a serial builder of small businesses or work in lots of different places.

Milber

Dear PaxMerc,

thanks very much for your reply, it really inspired me and made me smile - especially that part about "Write down your feelings... Geminis invariably hate this" :joyful:. Yes, it's like "What do you mean by... feelings?" But since I've never considered this approach I'll give it a try, of course.

Actually, I don't want to be talking all the time at all in business (already do that in my freetime) and I must say that I'm happier working alone than with people constraining me in some way. That's probably a little anti-social for a Gemini with that much Libra influence :wink: . But I might like consulting or writing. I'll try to figure out what beautiful things I could talk or write about.

Sales has also never struck my mind, maybe because I often find it "morally objectionable" to make people buy something they don't need for some rich CEO's or company owner's profit. But maybe if I just need to find something worth selling or marketing.

Niffer

Hey Milber, what I see in your natal chart is Sun opposition Neptune as I find Neptune confusion and undecisivness. Gemini also is a slightly undecisive sign, yes quick minded but still easy going and floaty do to its mutible nature.

Secondly, you have many Retro planets at birth which I see as more inward action as apposed to outwards. Meaning, you look inside yourself for those energies and you will find them, but you don't express them outwardly as much as someone with no retro planets.

thirdly, and one of the most important facts is your Progressed moon in aspect to your natal moon is a conjunction. What this means is over the next 5-6 yrs or so you are to learn as much as possible as later at your Moon square moon, action will then start to take place.

http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_progmoon_e.htm

Lastly, you do have the gift of thinking and organization so when the transiting planets go through your 10th house is an ideal time to allow your career to take off.

Milber

Hi Niffer,
thanks very much for your insights and the link to the article on progressed lunation cycles. I hadn't been aware of the progressed moon return preceding my saturn return. I'll take this as further calling to figure out my emotional needs and get "home to myself".

waybread

Milber, I agree with Pax Mercurious that you would be good at sales.

You are very much a "3rd chord" person, with your sun and dignified Mercury in Gemini, and your MC [career house] ruler in the 3rd house. These all relate to communication and Mercury also rules trade.

You also have a very strong Venus in Taurus, so you probably have a good sense of taste.

With your 11th house sun, you may be very oriented towards friends and hopes for the future; but this house also relates to organizations--including potential employers.

I think the problem is that your Gemini and Sagittarius planets are intercepted in your 11th and 5th houses. This can make them feel sort of "boxed in" and as though they have trouble expressing their true nature. You may find it hard to get the recognition you deserve. You can still have a happy and productive life: maybe just not fame and fortune!

Also, with Neptune opposing your sun, it can be hard to develop a clear sense of your own identity, because Neptune sort of pulls the rug out from under whatever you think is real and true about yourself. [This placement can also make you sensitive and/or prone to drugs, alcohol, and other kinds of escapism, so just make sure these are not at the heart of your vocational uncertainty.]

As you note, the key is to find something you believe in. As a customer, I often have something particular in mind that I want to buy, so I see the sales person's job as connecting me with something I want; not with something I don't want.

You might also construe this field more broadly. If you are very altruistic, think in terms of soliciting donations for a charitable organization in which you believe. Otherwise find a kind of product or service that matters to you. If you have a university degree, the latter might be something like student recruitment at a college or university in which you believe. Or sell medical equipment that improves people's lives.

But `a propos of your not wanting to work for some rich CEO: don't "cut off your nose to spite your face." If you look around, you will find many examples of rich CEOs [like Bill Gates] who use their wealth and influence to contribute far more generously to improving people's lives than a poor person can do.

Vesta13

Hi PaxMer

I loved that idea about writing down what ''you'd like to be feeling'' while you work....I have the same questions as Milber. Can you take a crack at mine? I think my chart is similar to Milber's...thanks!

Nexus7

You are coming up for a Saturn Return! - that is, when Saturn makes a return to its own place.

So this could be a good place to examine what may be behind your indecisiveness - as Saturn is right at the opposite point in your chart, on your IC, it might be that there was a difficult family situation that may have already got in the way of your being able to say with certainty that this is What You Wanted. In view of the natal 3rd-House Mars,maybe your were pushed to be a high-flyer, for example?

The good news is that after the Saturn Return, whilst there may be some soul-searching, priortities do become clearer and more well-defined. And Saturn rules your 6th House to do with work. So, you may paradoxically find more freedom through accepting something that does not otherwise seem that free. Perhaps that may be part-timing, or freelancing.

With your comments on 'stupid bosses' and dislike of fat cats, it surprsies me that Uranus is not more strongly-placed in your chart than it appears to be, though I could not tell what midpoints you may have there. Either way, whilst law may seem a closed option now, then how about advocacy? - here there may be many underdogs who may need a strong Leo-rising person to represent them, where they can not, and you would be satisdfying a desire to fight injustice, too.

The Sun rules your 2nd House of resources and is your chart ruler, maybe the emphasis maybe should be on having a whole folio of portable skills, that maybe include one or two 'Neptunian' skills, whether or not photoshop or something else.

waybread

Vesta, like Milber, you have your sun and several other planets in intercepted signs [Taurus/Scorpio in the 10th and the 4th] so some of the same issues apply.With your "yod" formation pointing to your 10th house Saturn, you should actually have administrative ability. With your sun, moon, Mercury, Pluto, and Jupiter in earth signs, I wonder if an "earthy" field appeals to you, such as agriculture or gardening. With your MC ruler in the 5th, you might also be good at arts administration.

Milber

First of all, thx to everyone who replied. I haven't got that much new and inspiring ideas for years.

@Waybread: Yes, maybe it was really time to give my mercurian qualities more room.

@Nexus7: Funny you say that about freelancing. I've been self-employed for a year because I really dislike other people disposing of my time. However, almost everybody seems to discourage me from freelancing - they say I should swallow the pill and get myself a "proper" 9-5 job. If I understand you correctly, you would go along with this?
The "high-flyer" assumption is also true - I used to be one prior to my teenage years and of course, I did my M.Sc. with an A grade. I don't think I was pushed but somewhen in my life I did get stuck on the notion that you're only worth something if you deliver above average performance.

Nexus7

No

I don't think you should necisarily give up beingafreelancer. I am a freelancer too, for much the same reasons.

Are you the eldest in your family?

hermetic

a battle between Saturn and Moon - on few levels. there is a battle of 2 opposing principles - hard work vs. being taken care of. I was once told that strengthening the Saturn principle, that is by practicing will and endurance in the most banal aspects of life will bring into mental state of work, work, work, that is so related to Saturn.
Your chart shows even more tension. Moon is exalted in Taurus, very strong in 10th house, and Venus is in it's own house, closer to 11th house. These feminine planets are considered passive in nature, so while you surely have positives from them(talent for arts, dancing), the negative sides are passivity and laziness.
One more thing we have in common that makes this gap even bigger is NN in Cancer in 12th house. Meaning SN is in Capricorn in 6th house of service. Again - Moon or Saturn. Supposedly, we have mastered the hard work and service to society part in previous reincarnations. NN goals are very far away from 6th house or Saturn principle. Yet this world, and the mere need to pay for our existence, forces us back to Saturn.

In your chart both 6th and 10th house rulers are conjunct IC and in Libra - that says to me - career from home, related to art, beauty. Since Saturn is in retrograde movement maybe needed some time for that to happen. Also you have Jupiter in 4th and that is nice position.
Mercury is planet of communication - in domicile, trine (natural, energy comes easy) Mars and Saturn, so maybe visual communications through graphic design is what's most natural to you.
And movies tell us that we 'should' feel this great passion towards something... well NOT! not all of us, and not at the same time in life. I personally think age when people start college is too young for most to decide, especially Saturnine types. you need time. and the passion you feel towards certain things is the matter of your elemental make-up. You lack fire overall. Lots of Air is one more thing we have in common, air intellectualizes things too much, preventing action without thinking - one thing that is associated with passion.

Last edited:

Claire19

It is true there are no strong aspects to sway you one way or another. HOwever I think that involvement with sales with property may be an option. You may be interested in interior decorating, pottery or horticulture. Landscape artist??

Last edited: