Astrological Ages in Traditional Astrology

david starling

I'm wondering if Traditional Astrology includes Ages, and if so, is there a "standard" version of them?

CapAquaPis

Traditional astrology once believed the world was either created in 4004 BC in Judeo-Christian tradition or based on the Julian calendar (we should be in the 7900's according to Julian). I wonder traditional method formerly counted ages by every 1000 years (instead of 2000) dating back to the earth's theoretic creation year, before scientists in the early 20th century discovered the earth is over 4 billion years old. Traditional would viewed the 59th-49th century BC period millennium the "Age of Virgo", the first astrological age period, instead of 12,000 years ago modern astrology goes by.

EDIT: There may be 12-14 "ages" in this version of astrological ages in a single 12-14,000 year cycle, similar to the 24-26,000 year eon or epoch. In between the ages of Gemini and Taurus is Orion, which held significance in the foundation of ancient Egypt whom had an affinity to that constellation or parazodiac which has it's northern end right on the ecliptic. And in between of the ages of Sagittarius and Scorpio in the future is Ophiuchus, which the IAU in a 1930 conference pushed its southern boundaries across the ecliptic.

Parazodiacs: Perseus (the Persian or warrior) above Aries close to Taurus represented the rise of Persia (now Iran) and Cetus (the whale) below Aries closer to Pisces held a deep meaning to the beginnings of Japan, and for modern-day North America (the US, Canada and Mexico) is Aquila (the Eagle), which its fixed stars above the zodiac sign of Capricorn, reminds me of the national bird of both the US and Mexico: an Eagle.

Last edited:

Oddity

JUPITERASC

No, it doesn't.

But there are some interesting pedagogical and theological charts out there of the pre-lapsarian planets and the fall.

See the Thema Mundi for before the fall,
the Bundahisn has a wonderful chart for the fall. https://altairastrology.wordpress.com/2006/09/26/the-horoscope-of-the-world/ for that chart and a short summary.
'.....The Thema Mundi = "World Theme"
with 'theme' being a word that also means chart :smile:
was a mythical horoscope
used in Hellenistic astrology
that shows the supposed positions of the seven visible planets
(including the Sun and Moon) at the beginning of the universe.[1]

It purports to exemplify the logic behind the sign rulerships, exaltations, and meanings of the aspects, among other things.

The purely symbolic nature of the chart is readily perceived from the impossible positions of Venus and Mercury in it.[2]

In the late Middle Ages there has been a confusion between a horoscope of the world and the thema mundi.[3]

The chart significantly diverges from the theory that the houses and the signs are directly correlated.

Modern astrology assumes that Aries, the first sign, conveys its character to the first house.
Instead the thema mundi has Cancer in the ascendant
suggesting that nature
rather than being aggressive (in correspondence to Aries and Mars),
is nurturing (in accord with the symbolism of Cancer and the Moon)...'

~ THEMA MUNDI ~

NoblehorseThemaMundi_img_0.jpg
THE THEMA MUNDI aka HOROSCOPE OF THE WORLD

source: Douglas Noblehorse
http://www.azastrologers.org/Articles/NoblehorseThemaMundi.htm

CapAquaPis

Speaking of older astrology methods, Eastern or Sidereal astrology would indicate Capricorn is omnipresent in the Aquarian age. It changes everything, because if we go by sidereal, then our natal charts are different: I would have a Capricorn Moon or Gemini rising, but my sun which entered Aquarius Feb. 14, my B-day is the 15th, so I'm still Aquarius. And in the start of the age of Pisces, the farthest "dwarf" planet from the Sun Sedna was in Pisces...or is it Aquarius in Jesus Christ's natal chart?

JUPITERASC

Speaking of older astrology methods,

Eastern or Sidereal astrology would indicate Capricorn is omnipresent in the Aquarian age. It changes everything, because if we go by sidereal, then our natal charts are different: I would have a Capricorn Moon or Gemini rising, but my sun which entered Aquarius Feb. 14, my B-day is the 15th, so I'm still Aquarius. And in the start of the age of Pisces, the farthest "dwarf" planet from the Sun Sedna was in Pisces...or is it Aquarius in Jesus Christ's natal chart?
So far as Traditional Astrology is concerned,
there is no Aquarian age
and Sedna is irrelevant
:smile:
because
the OP is on the Traditional Astrology forum

However
the topic may be discussed elsewhere on our forum

QUOTE FROM TRADITIONAL FORUM RULES
Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas
should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.

Dirius

In the terms of "practical" astrological techniques, traditional astrology doesn't really concern or mention it, mostly because it doesn't really matter for horoscopic readings.

david starling

Thank you; I've learned some very important things from this forum, not the least of which is the whole-sign house method. Placidian has never worked for me, and whole-sign does.

urano

This concept of Ages seems a concept of the New Age movement and its spirituality. Wikipedia said that Marily Ferguson was the one who theorized the New Age in her book "The Aquarian conspiracy" (1980).

I think the New Age movement was very trendy at this time (about thirty years ago), but now not much. Presently, concerning New Age spirituality, people often say that it is a poor makeshift.

In any case, these concepts have nothing to do with traditional astrology, but there is nothing surprising about finding these concepts in some recent astrology books, because among astrologers there was and are followers of this syncretic spiritual movement.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Thank you; I've learned some very important things from this forum, not the least of which is the whole-sign house method.
Placidian has never worked for me, and whole-sign does.
Interesting :smile:
regarding the whole-sign house method working for you
- are you also monitoring the 'sensitive points' within whole-sign
- as described and illustrated by dr. farr?