My Nepalese rock

dancinglight

Can a rock hold any kind of power? Am I being silly? Or is it just a coincidence that I've had a big, very positive shift in my life since it came to me?

To begin the story.....a male friend from my University days resurfaced several years ago. Back in Uni we worked on the student newspaper and he ended up becoming a political journalist. I always liked his politics (he came to Canada during the Vietnam war and never went back) and he is a very good writer. We bumped into each other several times, went for a beer or two, and caught up with what was happening in our lives. He felt really badly because things were pretty wretched for me at the time and he wished he could do something to help my situation. He was training for a trek in Nepal and I asked him if he would mind bringing me back a little rock (I love gathering interesting rocks and sea shells)

So fast forward to him in Nepal. It was October of 2014 and there was a massive storm which trapped and killed many trekkers on the high passes. The route his group was supposed to take was closed because searchers had found a pile of 15-20 bodies on it the day before. So they had quite a hair raising trip along a little known route, led by a young and very skilled Sherpa guide who was one of the trek leaders. After four days the group was in a safer situation and that coincided with my friend's 65th birthday. So they made a bit of a party of the occasion and one of the gifts my friend got was this rock. His Sherpa guide and friend had spotted it on the banks of the river near where they had camped, and presented it to him. The rock is from the Dolpo region of Western Nepal in a pretty isolated spot.

Now my friend had been looking for a suitable rock for me and hadn't been able to find one, but as soon as he saw his birthday rock, he knew that was the one he wanted me to have. So it was carried all the way back to Canada, and he had it for 2 1/2 years because we never managed to get our sh*t together to sort out a time to meet. (Plus he had a new lady in his life who was keeping him busy).

Through the effort of a mutual friend, the rock was waiting for me when I returned from my vacation in Australia. It was much bigger than I expected, and felt powerful in my hand, black with white bands encircling each end of the rock. I called him and argued that it was HIS birthday rock, which he said he knew I would do, but he said he enjoyed it for a couple of years and it was time for it to move on. And he wished that it would bring me luck and happiness. And within a couple of weeks, I had quite suddenly found another place to live, a snap decision and I don't DO snap decisions. That has started a cascade of other changes that have made me very happy, just as he wished.

But that rock.....it's even got depressions where the fingers of a hand grasping it would go. It's like it was made to be held and as I said before, it felt powerful. LOL, now I'm gonna go look at it again.

So am I crazy? :wink: