Am i reading receptions correctly ?

mystic91

Ive learnt most of my Horary from John Frawleys book, but i've since found out that he's been learning people to do the receptions the wrong way around :surprised:

So now im trying to get my head around the correct way, so does this sound correct ?.....

In a recent chart i have venus at 5 degrees cancer, and mars the quesited is at 10degrees Leo, and combust the sun.

So if i'm saying that mars receives venus by triplicity and fall, is this correct ? So mars is quite fond of venus but at present due to circumstances he can't give venus what she wants (fall).

And venus doesn't receive mars at all ? so she's powerless in being able to do anything.

Does this sound about right ?

JUPITERASC

Ive learnt most of my Horary from John Frawleys book, but i've since found out that he's been learning people to do the receptions the wrong way around :surprised:

So now im trying to get my head around the correct way, so does this sound correct ?.....

In a recent chart
i have venus at 5 degrees cancer
and mars the quesited is at 10 degrees Leo
and combust the sun.

So if i'm saying that mars receives venus by triplicity and fall

is this correct
?

So mars is quite fond of venus but at present due to circumstances he can't give venus what she wants (fall).

And venus doesn't receive mars at all ? so she's powerless in being able to do anything.

Using Dorothean Triplicities
and
Egyptian Terms
VENUS at 6 degrees CANCER is received by MARS by TERM
:smile:
and
MARS AT 10 DEGREES LEO is received by VENUS by TERM
but it is not Perfect mutual reception by TERM
because
Mars and Venus are not in aspect
and for Perfect Mutual Reception an aspect is required

easier to just post the chart
as other issues such as
whether it is a day chart or a night chart require consideration

Last edited:

mystic91

Thanks Jupiter :) but how come im not seeing what your seeing, i thought mars was also in triplicity of cancer in a day and night chart ...and then term at 6 degrees and then fall.

Also i can't see the venus receiving mars by term, mars at 10 degrees leo comes up in none of venus's terms in the chart i use :unsure:....? Dont ask me which chart it is as i copied it from a site a couple of years ago when i first started out.

Heres the chart anyway....

astro_2gw_310_does_he_wanna_see_me_again_hr.40538.43747 (2).jpg

JUPITERASC

Thanks Jupiter :) but how come im not seeing what your seeing
i thought mars was also in triplicity of cancer in a day and night chart
...and then term at 6 degrees and then fall.

Also i can't see the venus receiving mars by term
mars at 10 degrees leo comes up in none of venus's terms in the chart i use :unsure:....?
Dont ask me which chart it is as i copied it from a site a couple of years ago
when i first started out.

Heres the chart anyway....

View attachment 69436
TABLE of ESSENTIAL PLANETARY DIGNITIES at http://gregoryrozek.com/en/astrology/astrological-tables/

IS AS FOLLOWS :smile:
TRIPLICITIES used here are according to Dorotheus of Sidon
(from 1st Century CE).
These are different from Lilly’s triplicity rulers
only in that Lilly discards the third rulers
and assigns Mars to be the only ruler for the “watery” signs.
So it can be still used along Lilly
if you’d just remember this slight differences.
In the same way the DECANATES
(often shorted as Decans, or also called Faces)
are in the Chaldean order, not the so called Varahamihira decans of Indian origins
that are widely known in modern astrology
where we assign the rulership over each decan
one of the signs of the same element.
Here the planets are rulers, not signs
and the order is obviously different.

And lastly: the TERMS
(or Bounds) used here
are the earlier Egyptian system
which predates the Ptolemaic terms utilized by Lilly.
So those astrologers that are faithful with Lilly might want to be careful here.
Though, I’m among “the students of Astrology”
who find the Egyptian terms seem to work in horary as well
who choose to use it generally
without switching back and forth.
But it’s everyone’s personal call
I’m not about to persuade anyone to that approach

JUPITERASC

Thanks for posting the chart
the ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES TABLE I POSTED A LINK TO
shows that because it is a night chart
then VENUS at 6 CANCER is in Mars Triplicity and Term
and so
Venus IS received by Mars by Triplicity and Term
MARS at 10 degrees LEO is in VENUS TERM
so Mars is received by Venus by Term

BUT
CANCER and LEO are adjacent signs
and cannot therefore be in aspect
therefore although there is reception
it is NOT Perfect Reception :smile:
because of the lack of an aspect between Mars and Venus

IleneK

Premium Member

In a recent chart i have venus at 5 degrees cancer, and mars the quesited is at 10degrees Leo, and combust the sun.

So if i'm saying that mars receives venus by triplicity and fall, is this correct ? So mars is quite fond of venus but at present due to circumstances he can't give venus what she wants (fall).

Rather than going down the road of which tables you used, for the sake of this example, let's assume the dignity/debility is correct and see if we can answer your question.

Yes, in Liily's table Mars receives Venus by triplicity and fall. Triplicity to me is not very fond. That would be dignity or exaltation. Rather I would say that on some level he cares for her. Her being in his fall, though, seems more adverse than just not being able to give her what she wants. Although I do like your saying "at the present time," since exaltation/fall is a much more transitory in influence than dignity/detriment.

So I would say he cares less than you described and that the problem is more significant than you described. But overall, it is a good attempt at delineation of the reception.

If Venus does not receive Mars at all, that is, if there is no reception from Venus to Mars, then there is no interest in him on her behalf, rather than her being powerless in the matter. His/Mars' being combust may only amplify his not being seen by her.

Venus' power to act derives from its essential dignity at 5 CN, which is dignity by face in Lilly's table. So this suggests that her power in the situation appears to be very modest.

So this is how I see it based on my rather limited expertise with essential dignity and reception.

Good questions and wishing you the best in your quest for greater understanding.

Last edited:

Oddity

Or to make it simpler - no aspect means no reception. Modern authors sometimes disagree with this, but I've found it to hold true in actual charts.

mystic91

Rather than going down the road of which tables you used, for the sake of this example, let's assume the dignity/debility is correct and see if we can answer your question.

Yes, in Liily's table Mars receives Venus by triplicity and fall. Triplicity to me is not very fond. That would be dignity or exaltation. Rather I would say that on some level he cares for her. Her being in his fall, though, seems more adverse than just not being able to give her what she wants. Although I do like your saying "at the present time," since exaltation/fall is a much more transitory in influence than dignity/detriment.
Right okay, so i think im really reading the receptions the right way around now. Yes it is Lilly's table ive been referring to, So you wouldn't say Triplicity was very fond then ? Ive always viewed Triplicity as great liking for someone....not quite full on love like rulership, but more than just friends like id view Term, so sort of on the borderline, where they have a little something there for you other than just attraction. In Lillys table mars receives me by Trilpicity, term and then also fall.
I didn't realize that exaltation and fall was transitory, but now you say it this does makes sense, as they are both extremes on different scales, so thanks for this.
So I would say he cares less than you described and that the problem is more significant than you described. But overall, it is a good attempt at delineation of the reception.
I was thinking with mars being combust of the sun in his 4th house and this house also being intercepted, that this was causing the fall. So maybe he has problems/issues going on at home that he is super stressed with.
If Venus does not receive Mars at all, that is, if there is no reception from Venus to Mars, then there is no interest in him on her behalf, rather than her being powerless in the matter. His/Mars' being combust may only amplify his not being seen by her.
Going on Lillys Venus is in no dignity of mars, but i do have a lot of interest in him, probably even on an exaltation borderline rulership scale. We've not spoken or seen each other for two weeks though, and not sure if we ever will again, hence why i cast the chart. I have very little power over him coming back to me, im hoping the triplicity may sway him back at some point...but maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part.
Venus' power to act derives from its essential dignity at 5 CN, which is dignity by face in Lilly's table. So this suggests that her power in the situation appears to be very modest.
Im holding back as much as i can, i did cave in again lastnight after a glass of wine or two, and txt him (after not txting him for a week) i told him i wanted to see him. He didn't reply though.
So this is how I see it based on my rather limited expertise with essential dignity and reception.

Good questions and wishing you the best in your quest for greater understanding.

Thanks for your help, and im so glad ive finally managed to re - swerve my head around reading these correctly now, as when you're used to reading them one way its hard for you to adjust to the opposite way.

Two more questions actually regarding this chart, seen as i have it posted on this thread...

How come mercury is applying to a sextile with venus and not separating, looks like mercurys separated but in the table below its says applying ?

And any idea what Jupiter is doing on the asc, especially with moons next applying aspect to it, jupiter rules my 3rd....but i can't see it being the msg from lastnight that i sent to him as this would be a separating aspect wouldn't it ?

mystic91

Or to make it simpler - no aspect means no reception. Modern authors sometimes disagree with this, but I've found it to hold true in actual charts.

I thought aspects were just about showing if something would happen or not ?

Surely you can still take into consideration the dignities, as this then shows why something may or may not happen.

IleneK

Premium Member
Right okay, so i think im really reading the receptions the right way around now. Yes it is Lilly's table ive been referring to, So you wouldn't say Triplicity was very fond then ? Ive always viewed Triplicity as great liking for someone....not quite full on love like rulership, but more than just friends like id view Term, so sort of on the borderline, where they have a little something there for you other than just attraction. In Lillys table mars receives me by Trilpicity, term and then also fall.
I didn't realize that exaltation and fall was transitory, but now you say it this does makes sense, as they are both extremes on different scales, so thanks for this.I was thinking with mars being combust of the sun in his 4th house and this house also being intercepted, that this was causing the fall. So maybe he has problems/issues going on at home that he is super stressed with.Going on Lillys Venus is in no dignity of mars, but i do have a lot of interest in him, probably even on an exaltation borderline rulership scale. We've not spoken or seen each other for two weeks though, and not sure if we ever will again, hence why i cast the chart. I have very little power over him coming back to me, im hoping the triplicity may sway him back at some point...but maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part.Im holding back as much as i can, i did cave in again lastnight after a glass of wine or two, and txt him (after not txting him for a week) i told him i wanted to see him. He didn't reply though.

Thanks for your help, and im so glad ive finally managed to re - swerve my head around reading these correctly now, as when you're used to reading them one way its hard for you to adjust to the opposite way.

Two more questions actually regarding this chart, seen as i have it posted on this thread...

How come mercury is applying to a sextile with venus and not separating, looks like mercurys separated but in the table below its says applying ?

And any idea what Jupiter is doing on the asc, especially with moons next applying aspect to it, jupiter rules my 3rd....but i can't see it being the msg from lastnight that i sent to him as this would be a separating aspect wouldn't it ?

I did not see the chart until now.

-Oddity kind of sums it up: No aspect between you/Venus and him/Mars suggests no relationship.
His/Mars receiving you by fall pretty much puts the nail in the coffin in terms of his interest in you. It may be mixed a bit by triplicity, but there being no aspect combined with adverse reception by fall...this does not bode well at all for how he feels about you.

-Merc does not apply to Venus. Venus applies to Merc. Check out your ephemeris and see who is moving faster now.

-I don't see the value of delving too much in the other details of this chart, like with Jup rising, given what the chart has already told us about the relationship.

There are many fish in the sea. This is a good one to let go of.