Indicators of Musical Talent in a Natal Chart

Arian Maverick

I have been curious about this for a while, since I have considerable musical talent that cannot entirely be explained through heredity...are there any specific astrological influences that may indicate a natural inclination towards the arts?

My chart can be found here. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

5th house moon

Hey AM

Great question! Looking forward to the responses.

Would you mind if we include 'singing talent' in this post? Happy to start another thread if you like!

PS I recall reading that venus/tauras/libra positionings/aspects can be indicative of musical talent, as well as neptune/pisces. Neptune positioning/aspects can also indicate dancing ability. Tauras rules the throat, so it may also be indicative of singing talent.

PS: This is an interesting article on Kate Bush, in case you are interested:

http://www.astrology21.co.uk/p1katebush.html

It talks about a strong Uranian influence (set off by transits). Funny, but I know several very successful professional musicians who have a strong Aquarius configuration in their respective charts.

Cheers

5th

Arian Maverick

Would you mind if we include 'singing talent' in this post? Happy to start another thread if you like!

Of course not! Singing was a musical talent the last time I checked :wink:

Thanks for the article! :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

5th house moon

Thanks my dear!

With refence to your musical ability - what instrument/s do you play? I wonder if we can get that specific in terms of breaking it down atsrologically (you know....hands/arms for strings/keyboard.....lungs/mouth for wind instruments....coordination/rythm for drums etc)

Am I going off on a crazy tangent???? (Uranus in 3rd speaking)

:p

5th

Lunar Pisces

Music is mainly the domain of Pisces and Neptune - that ethereal ability to express emotional and abtract thought through something that transcends concete language in very Neptunian.

Naturally I'd first look at your Neptune in the 12th - that would give you a kind of "musical soul."

With Neptune in Capricorn and conjunct Saturn, this may indicate technical skill, but one you would have to work at acquiring. This also may indicate a sens eof musical refinement or highly selective tastes.

Neptune sqauring Aries planets is interesting. I know several Aries musicians and they tend to be very outgoing and impulsive. They are good at performing and prefer very energetic and dramatic music.

Also, having the Aries stellium in the 2nd is an indicator of Venusian tendencies, which include artistic and even musical expression.

Some other things to like at:

Where is your Pallas? Pallas is often a good indicator of skills.

Check out your 5th harmonics (skills) and 7th harmonics (talent). In particular:

Quintiles (72 degrees) and Biquintiles (144 degress) these 5th harmonics aspects may indicate natural skills or ease of learning. These would be espeically significant re: music talent if they involved Neptune, Venus, moon, Pluto or Mercury. Deciles (36 degrees) may count too, but are to Quintiles as sextiles are to trines: same idea, just not as strong.

Septiles (51-52 degrees) and Biseptiles (102-103 degrees): these 7th harmonic aspects may indiacte natrual talent or intution, perhaps a "preknowledge" that comes to the surface from the subconscious. Look for the same planets re: musical talent.

Also look for those apsect with Pallas, or other significant asteriods in your chart.

I have consider musical talent too, and I have a Pis moon-Gem Venus quintile and a Tau Pallas-Aqua Mars quintile.

Arian Maverick

With refence to your musical ability - what instrument/s do you play? I wonder if we can get that specific in terms of breaking it down atsrologically (you know....hands/arms for strings/keyboard.....lungs/mouth for wind instruments....coordination/rythm for drums etc)

That's such a great idea; I didn't even think to mention it!

I find myself most comfortable with woodwind instruments...I have played the flute for almost eight years now, and I taught myself the saxophone three years ago. I also rented a trumpet and payed for Summer Music School with the money I earned from I scholarship I won in fifth grade...I did this for two summers before I realized it was starting to effect my flute emboucher (brass and woodwind instruments generally don't mix well). Then in seventh grade I dabbled with the French Horn for about two months because the instrument was sorely needed in band, and I had an big advantage due to my prior trumpet experience. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was also becomming more serious with my flute playing by this time and began to audition for some prestigious groups; again, the completely different embouchers required by each instrument gave me difficulty with each individually, and I had to make a decision about instrument I wished to continued. Obviously, I continued my flute.

I haven't touched any brass instruments since that time, but like I said earlier, I taught myself the saxophone the summer before eighth grade because of instrumentation imbalances in the band. I have been playing it in marching band ever since, and I was even lead alto in Jazz Ensemble my freshman year. It's so much fun to go between the flute and saxophone...the fingerings are extremely similar to each other so I can go back and forth with ease, yet they play such different roles in a musical ensemble (pun intended). Whereas the flute almost always has the melody--boring!--the saxophone has all of these cool harmony parts, not to mention some pieces require some serious jazz flavor! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry, I know I'm getting carried away...but I eat, live, and breathe music!

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. Now that I think about it, I think I've heard that Mars in Gemini inclines one to be good with their fingers...and playing difficult passages requiring fast finger work is one of my specialties! It helps me channel some of my nervous energy :wink:

Arian Maverick

Music is mainly the domain of Pisces and Neptune - that ethereal ability to express emotional and abtract thought through something that transcends concete language in very Neptunian.

Naturally I'd first look at your Neptune in the 12th - that would give you a kind of "musical soul."

With Neptune in Capricorn and conjunct Saturn, this may indicate technical skill, but one you would have to work at acquiring. This also may indicate a sens eof musical refinement or highly selective tastes.

Neptune sqauring Aries planets is interesting. I know several Aries musicians and they tend to be very outgoing and impulsive. They are good at performing and prefer very energetic and dramatic music.

Also, having the Aries stellium in the 2nd is an indicator of Venusian tendencies, which include artistic and even musical expression.

Some other things to like at:

Where is your Pallas? Pallas is often a good indicator of skills.

Check out your 5th harmonics (skills) and 7th harmonics (talent). In particular:

Quintiles (72 degrees) and Biquintiles (144 degress) these 5th harmonics aspects may indicate natural skills or ease of learning. These would be espeically significant re: music talent if they involved Neptune, Venus, moon, Pluto or Mercury. Deciles (36 degrees) may count too, but are to Quintiles as sextiles are to trines: same idea, just not as strong.

Septiles (51-52 degrees) and Biseptiles (102-103 degrees): these 7th harmonic aspects may indiacte natrual talent or intution, perhaps a "preknowledge" that comes to the surface from the subconscious. Look for the same planets re: musical talent.

Also look for those apsect with Pallas, or other significant asteriods in your chart.

I have consider musical talent too, and I have a Pis moon-Gem Venus quintile and a Tau Pallas-Aqua Mars quintile.

This was such a great post, Lunar Pisces! I didn't notice it right away because I was attempting to edit my last rambling message, making it somewhat coherent despite my obvious excitement :roll:

I have my natal Pallas at 19 Pisces 56'24"--there's that Pisces influence again! :wink:

EDIT: I just checked my 7th Harmonic Chart and discovered that I have a Kite configurating involving a Grand Trine between my Ascendent, Descendent, and my Aries stellium, which is opposite Chiron. Pallas is almost exactly opposite this stellium, but it is not involved in the Kite configuration...Chiron is closer to the midpoint between my Ascendent and my Descendent.

There is another Kite configuration involving the same Grand Trine previously mentioned, except my Ascendent is opposite Mars in Virgo.

I also seem to have a yod configuration with Chiron sextile my Ascendent, both inconjunct apex Pluto in Leo...and I think I may have a Mystic Rectangle in the mix.

My 9th Harmonic Chart also looks interesting with a Grand Trine between Pallas, Mercury, and a tight Saturn/Moon conjunction and other one involving my Midheaven, Pluto/Jupiter (not as tight a conjunction; three degrees apart), and Chrion.

I also have a T-square involving a tight Uranus/Mars conjunction opposite a Sun/Venus conjunction with my Ascendent as apex; another involving that same opposition with the Pluto/Jupiter conjunction as apex. Mercury can also be used in place of the Sun/Venus conjunction, according to the chart...

Aquarian Maverick

5th house moon

Cool AM! You are clearly gifted in your ability to play a variety of instruments. (Gotta love the sax! I have one sitting in my living room but haven't dared pick it up. Too beautiful for my novice hands to touch!)

Lunar Pisces made some interesting comments. Have you chcked your chart for quintiles etc? Neptune in 12th would no doubt enhance your musical appreciation/ability.

I write songs and sing. I have just realised (thanks to Lunar Pisces) that my Nep in sco in 5th, conjunct my Moon in sag, conjunct Pallas form a quintile with Venus in aq in 7/8th. MIght have something to do with my love of all things musical, and my great admiration for anyone who can play an instrument with ease.

Am I getting the feeling that you are looking to pursue a career in music? :p

:)

5th

Kite

2nd house is the house of talent which you have all that primal Aries and fire...but the ruler on the cusp is Neptune (we both share that). My Neptune is in Scorpio in the 9th house which which gives me some business talents and I operate on a global basis plus I'm a bit of a philosopher with some occult interests.

Your Neptune is in 12 conjunct Saturn in Capricorn (Uranus is also also there from 11). The conjunction sextiles Pluto in Scorpio in 9 so you have a bit of this interest in occult matters too as well as an affiniity for philosophical work. You definately have a drive towards this Piscean area of music with your North Node in Pisces in the 2nd house..but ..you have Jupiter in in Gemini in your 4th house squaring the Nodes which says there is something else at play..and of course all of this in the mutable signs. I wish we could give you one thing to focus on but guess what? You're a multi-tasker - surprise!!

Of course looking at the opposite degree of your Jup in 4 gets us to Sabian 5 Sag in 10 which reads:

245__(5°)
HIGH ON AN OLD TREE,A SOLITARY OWL IS GRAVELY PERCHED Poised observation upon the drama of life. Mellow judgement. Ingrained confidence in the situation and worth of the self.
___*When positive, the degree is exceptional wisdom or effective self-restraint in each detail of personal accomplishment, and when negative, self-betraying intellectual and emotional smugness.

You are an enigma Aquarian Maverick. You can achieve whatever you want - music included although with Saturn on your Neptune..it will take time and receptivity which I believe might go against your grain somewhat. You see my young friend, it's not always about your talents..its also about what fits. What is it that is so easy we take it for granted but others are astonished by how unique and wonderful that gift is. With that stellium of your in 2..you are a powerhouse of energy that can be directed..AS YOU CHOOSE!!!

I was in Israel in 1977 and came to the conclusion that it would be a great place to live because there was no choice..you went in the army, got a related job and lived in an apartment etc. I thought this was great because in the US there were too many choices that were driving me crazy. I then realized that choice was ok as long as one could make one. It's in the debating that one goes crazy.

Kite

Arian Maverick

Cool AM! You are clearly gifted in your ability to play a variety of instruments. (Gotta love the sax! I have one sitting in my living room but haven't dared pick it up. Too beautiful for my novice hands to touch!)

Oh yes, I love getting down on that thing! I put heavy vibrato into everything I play (even during marching band season), I bend notes at any available opportunity, I can blast my brains out and still get a decent sound...it's so awesome, and so much fun! :mrgreen:

I would love to get a new sax...I have a great mouthpiece, but I'm still playing the same student instrument I started on. It's perfect for marching band season though...it's so scratched up, I don't care what else happens to it! :)

Lunar Pisces made some interesting comments. Have you chcked your chart for quintiles etc? Neptune in 12th would no doubt enhance your musical appreciation/ability.

Yes, I was just checking out some of my Harmonic charts and made some interesting discoveries...see my last post, you may have finished writing your message before I finished editing my post :wink:

Am I getting the feeling that you are looking to pursue a career in music?

I've been trying to talk myself out of it because I have terrible performance anxiety...but I have a feeling that I'll want to take so many music courses in college that I'm likely to get a degree without meaning too!

You are an enigma Aquarian Maverick. You can achieve whatever you want - music included although with Saturn on your Neptune..it will take time and receptivity which I believe might go against your grain somewhat. You see my young friend, it's not always about your talents..its also about what fits. What is it that is so easy we take it for granted but others are astonished by how unique and wonderful that gift is. With that stellium of your in 2..you are a powerhouse of energy that can be directed..AS YOU CHOOSE!!!

This is so true, Kite! I generally love performing and bask in the spotlight (afterwards, not during a difficult piece, mind you :p ), but the entire audition aspect really grates on me. The atmosphere is so intimidating and downright nasty sometimes...when I used to take private lessons, my flute teacher told me stories of musicians sabotaging the competition through rogue tricks--bending keys, popping springs, and other means to render the instrument severely handicapped.

I was in Israel in 1977 and came to the conclusion that it would be a great place to live because there was no choice..you went in the army, got a related job and lived in an apartment etc. I thought this was great because in the US there were too many choices that were driving me crazy. I then realized that choice was ok as long as one could make one. It's in the debating that one goes crazy.

I know exactly what you mean...although I greatly appreciate the personal freedom in the States, sometimes I wish I knew exactly what my fate entailed and didn't have a choice in the matter :lol:

Aquarian Maverick

C Jayne

AM--

My 2 cents worth:

The really great vocalists I've known personally had Venus conjunct Midheaven.

A perspective:
Some people become fire fighters because they like to wear the uniform, and some people do it because they like to ring the bell! :D

I've got Neptune conjunct Saturn in the 12th squaring my Sun and Mercury, but there's a lot of water emphasis on my chart, and I really don't like to have people around me when I play -- I play music for my own pleasure and I'm not a performer.

My husband -- who has a stellium in Cancer -- has some first house emphasis and his Midheaven in Aries. He loves to perform guitar on stage or in sing alongs.

So there you go -- it takes all kinds. Interesting question!

-- C Jayne

Arian Maverick

I was reading through my earlier posts and decided that it might be difficult to imagine my harmonic charts without a visual...so for the sake of exploration, here is my Seventh Harmonic Chart:

And here is my Ninth Harmonic Chart:

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. I made the charts thumbnails so they wouldn't take up the entire page...just click on a chart to bring it up in a seperate window. The image will be scaled down to fit your computer screen; simply click on it again to show it in the original size. :wink:

m_Adison

Music is my existence.. . and I I don't know where it came from. I guess it could run on my moms side... but, I have very precocious talent... to excell at a rapid pace.... and learn by ear.

I play piano... religiously... and sing religiously... I was president of my choirs by sophmore year... I write religiously as well... piano composition... music ballads... I love ballads. I write and sing all of my own music.. but, know classics as well... I sang and played in the band growing up... before I even got to high school... by that time I was bored of the instruments I already learned.. because, they were too easy... I went through sax, flute and clarinet - - before I started playing piano.

I am so self-conscious that it makes it hard for me to get onstage.. because, I'm so worried what everyone is thinking... Problem is.. I'm going to pursue music as a career.. but, I'm not a self-starter... (haha).. it sucks.. because, I need to get my music... and lyrics heard.

I hate to lose... so, I don't want to compete.... beacuse, I have always been the best. The day I quit choir (well, I was partying, too :) was when I didn't get the solo... for the first time. Talk about idiotic.. I know.. but, I was pissed off. Music is one thing I know I can do ... and do it well... and I hate rejection. The one competition I entered in.. I won. Hands down..I actually won a music scholarship by winning... but, said F -- it. haha... STUPID KIDS. I didn't even want to do it.. because, I'm a freaking lunatic of a perfectionist when it comes to music.. I hear all mistakes.... I can hear everything. I'm very well trained ... but, that isn't even it... I was born singing... I am extremely passionate about singing and playing piano. I couldn't say it more. I feel music... I breathe it.. it is a part of me.. I want to cry when I listen to classical music.. because, it hits straight to my heart... (I love to write classical piano music.. ahhhhhhhh)

Is it in my chart? This is my FINALLY finished chart. I did it right this time!

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the music conversation... it took off a load.

I MISS MY PIANO>>> GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

.:.:.:m_Adison:.:.:.

C Jayne

Aquarius Maverick --

Young Lady -- you are so bright and so energetic! Here, I get so full of myself and get all puffed up -- but you are WAY over my head!

Tell us what harmonic charts are, how they are computed and what their significance is.

I'm impressed that you did this trick with putting them on the page small and then they spring up to full size. I can do this on a webpage of my own, but not somebody else's!

--C

C Jayne

Dear m_Adison--

I lost my first post midway through. Hopefully I won't ***** this up.

Like you, I have Scorpio Ascendant, Leo Midheaven, Aquarius Sun, and I hate to have people hear me play piano, although at various times my passion (not as large as yours) has consumed me. Having music in my life is quite important to me.

m_Adison said:
I am so self-conscious that it makes it hard for me to get onstage.. because, I'm so worried what everyone is thinking...

1a. The Scorpio Ascendant wants to hide -- too vulnerable -- doesn't want to get scratched by contact with insensitive or less sensitive people.

1b. With all those planets in your personal houses and none, except Pluto, an outer planet, in your outer houses, everything is a personal experience for you -- that outside world is a foreign place. Career isn't a real draw for you (pardon me for not being able to speak about some of the later-discovered planets -- someone else may have a different "take" on this).

1c. With Midheaven in Leo, you will perform when the rest of your personality is ready for you to perform. Leo is the sign of the performer. You've got what it takes.

m_Adison said:
Problem is.. I'm going to pursue music as a career.. but, I'm not a self-starter... I hate to lose... so, I don't want to compete....

2a. Saturn conjunct Mars makes you really really competitive, you want to assert yourself, but it's also very anxiety-producing for you.

2b. Meanwhile, Saturn in the first house makes you really really want to perform, but it's so important to you it's also very anxiety-producing for you. This will be your life's work -- getting comfortable with performing.

m_Adison said:
...I'm a freaking lunatic of a perfectionist when it comes to music.. I hear all mistakes....

Pluto in the 12th increases this.

m_Adison said:
...I feel music... I breathe it.. it is a part of me...

What a marvelous result of that Aquarian stellium! And oh, what a stellium it is! And it sextiles Uranus -- I would think that's where a lot of that musical inclination comes from.

And practically all of those planets oppose your Midheaven!

Your 3rd house stellium makes you want to communicate with others, it is your joy (Venus) and an adventure (Jupiter) and your way of expressing yourself (Mercury ) and what puts you at ease (Moon), and it is the thing you are shaping your entire life around (Sun).

I'm going to get a progressed chart on you to see what progressions have in store. I hope I can do that without the original data -- actual time and name of location. But first, I'll offer this:

Youth is like a bucking bronco -- the hormones it offers provides the energy to accomplish great things, but channeling that energy is the challenge. If you can take good care of your health, you'll still have some energy left when the tornado passes by.

-- C Jayne

C Jayne

My 2cents worth:

What I missed earlier--

Natal Jupiter and Mercury square your Natal Mars, increasing that tension to achieve.

I've never had much luck with reading the Part of Fortune, but yours sits on the Ascendant in your 12th, which seems to suggest you'll find your fortune in the unknown -- that land Kite (?) calls the closet under the stairs, and you'll trip over it often, since it's right on the Ascendant.

Progressed chart --

Your Progressed Ascendant has just moved into Sagittarius, and you're beginning to realize what an adventure life can be! (Mine did this when I was 18 -- I got out of my tiresome little hometown and felt very free!)

In about a year or year and a half, your Progressed Moon will exit the 12th house and cross over into Sagittarius also. At that time you'll really feel the thrill of the world being your apple!

For now, you are in a period of experimentation and healing (Moon in 12th) -- possibly a time of feeling fragile and confused --

-- and, (Progressed Midheaven has moved into Virgo -- will be there for about ten or fifteen more years) you probably push yourself to all extremes to accomplish whatever you're working on .

Your Progressed Midheaven currently is directly opposite Venus -- does this mean you are finding joy? A woman? Your own femininity? dealing with money?

Try to remember that difficulty -- which we all encounter -- really does squash us into the sense of urgency which can squeeze an artistic accomplishment out of us. You will encounter difficulty. You will get through it. You have your music.

-- C

wilsontc

Staff member
Musical talent and...yods!

Maverick,

You asked:
I have been curious about this for a while, since I have considerable musical talent...I have played the flute for almost eight years now...taught myself the saxophone...rented a trumpet and payed...dabbled with the French Horn...the fingerings are extremely similar to each other so I can go back and forth with ease...the saxophone has all of these cool harmony parts...I eat, live, and breathe music...I think I've heard that Mars in Gemini inclines one to be good with their fingers...

To add to the comments here...I think that MUSICALITY has to do with Neptune, but it takes some ACTION in order to get up and become a performing musician. I noticed that you have Aries modifying Sun (self-expression, also performing arts, Sun in sign of exaltation, strong energy) so there is an urge to perform in some way. Going back to your Yods, I noticed that There is a Yod between Pisces (spirituality, also musicality) modifying North node (future goals) and Uranus (friends, also innovation) conjunct (energy is combined with) Neptune all focused on Leo (self-expression, also performing arts) modifying Descendant (others). Add to this that you have a stellium (collection of energy) in Aries (being, also action) focused in the 2nd house (physical) sextile Gemini (thinking, also Gemini rules the hands) modifying Mars (being, also action).

I interpret this as an urge to actively, manually perform music innovatively before others. There is a sense of performing for others which comes out in the combination of these aspects (and in your stories! ;) ). We may have solved the great Yod mystery as to what do you DO with all this Yod energy in your chart! :)

Yoding along,

Tim

wilsontc

Staff member
musicality and a yod

Maverick,

You asked:
I have been curious about this for a while, since I have considerable musical talent...I have played the flute for almost eight years now...taught myself the saxophone...rented a trumpet and payed...dabbled with the French Horn...the fingerings are extremely similar to each other so I can go back and forth with ease...the saxophone has all of these cool harmony parts...I eat, live, and breathe music...I think I've heard that Mars in Gemini inclines one to be good with their fingers...

To add to the comments here...I think that MUSICALITY has to do with Neptune, but it takes some ACTION in order to get up and become a performing musician. I noticed that you have Aries modifying Sun (self-expression, also performing arts, Sun in sign of exaltation, strong energy) so there is an urge to perform in some way. Going back to your Yods, I noticed that There is a Yod between Pisces (spirituality, also musicality) modifying North node (future goals) and Uranus (friends, also innovation) conjunct (energy is combined with) Neptune all focused on Leo (self-expression, also performing arts) modifying Descendant (others). Add to this that you have a stellium (collection of energy) in Aries (being, also action) focused in the 2nd house (physical) sextile Gemini (thinking, also Gemini rules the hands) modifying Mars (being, also action).

I interpret this as an urge to actively, manually perform music innovatively before others. There is a sense of performing for others which comes out in the combination of these aspects (and in your stories! ;) ). We may have solved the great Yod mystery as to what do you DO with all this Yod energy in your chart! :)

Yoding along,

Tim

m_Adison

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom.

I'm not at my computer at the moment... so, I can't write long.

-Now, when your chart progresses.. what does that mean? That my sign will change as the years progress?

hmm..

Interesting... my other best friend is a Sag. We are like two peas in a pod. I have two best friends... a leo and a sag. With leo I have fun... with sag I'm more emotional.

I'm going to check out a book or two to understand more about astrology. I think I've check them all out here before.. but, maybe they will have something new? :)

Thanks again for your insight.. I'll read it more in depth when I get home.

-Cheers!

:mrgreen: