Significance of the Ruler of a House

danieycc

Hi,

I have my Sun, Venus, and Mars all in Virgo in the 6th house, and

my 6th house is ruled by Leo.

I was wondering if my Sun, Venus, and Mars were 'tinted' with Leo, since it rules my 6th house...

Or if maybe the 'expression' of these qualities were slightly more leo-esque, because of the house ruler.

Just wondering what the significance is.

Thanks! :)

freedomlover

danieycc said:
Hi,

I was wondering if my Sun, Venus, and Mars were 'tinted' with Leo, since it rules my 6th house...

Or if maybe the 'expression' of these qualities were slightly more leo-esque, because of the house ruler.

Personally, I would see this as all your 6th house planets being "tinted" with Sun in Virgo "color", as Sun in Virgo would be the ruler of the 6th house cusp. I would count more of a "Leo-tinting" if the ruler of the 6th was in the 5th or if your Sun was in Leo, as well . Also, a Sun in the 5th is more than likely going to be much more Leo-like than a Sun in the 6th.

FL

Last edited:

amzolt

danieycc said:

The Sign on the cusp of a House (which I'm assuming is what you mean by your Sixth being "ruled" by Leo) is the indicator of the most obvious and "trustworthy" Energy to use when dealing with that House's activities. Most Houses have at least two Signs active in them (in your case, Leo and Virgo), the first setting up House conditions and the second working within what the first Sign sets up.

You may want to think of Virgo as the helpmate of Leo in the Sixth--even though the Sun, Venus, and Mars are all in Virgo.

Another way to think about it:

Leo sets the stage for Sixth House activities and Virgo with her Planets play their parts on that Leo stage...

katydid

danieycc said:
Hi,

Here is how I would read it. You have Leo on the 6th house cusp, so Leo-like energy permeates your house of service. So perhaps you love to be creative in your everyday routines, and you are proud of the 'service' you do for others-- and maybe you crave a little more attention than your day to day work schedule allows. Perhaps you wish you could make your living doing more artistic, creative things like acting and music, but are confined for the time being because of limiting circumstances to doing routine daily tasks to pay the monthly bills. But as you grow and progress, you may be able to break out of that bind, and be more recognized for your artistic talents.:cool:

waybread

danieycc said:
Hi,

I use Placidus houses myself, except in high latitude births. A great favourite of mine is the book by Dutch astrologer Karen Hamaker-Zondag, The House Connection. She writes that the "house over which a planet rules serves the purposes of the house in which that planet stands." So to get a better handle on the planets within the house with Leo on the cusp, look to your sun's house and your sun's aspects.

This analytical technique is a bit different than the way you expressed your question, but see how it works for you!

freedomlover

waybread said:
I use Placidus houses myself, except in high latitude births. A great favourite of mine is the book by Dutch astrologer Karen Hamaker-Zondag, The House Connection. She writes that the "house over which a planet rules serves the purposes of the house in which that planet stands." So to get a better handle on the planets within the house with Leo on the cusp, look to your sun's house and your sun's aspects.

This analytical technique is a bit different than the way you expressed your question, but see how it works for you!

Waybread,

Is that what I did in my post at top of this thread? You know me - I've never read any of those nice books that the rest of you have ( would love to, though). I just go by what seems to make sense to me. Could you read what I wrote, and tell me if that is pretty much the method Ms. Hamaker-Zondag uses? If it is, I'll know the next time. The ruler of the cusp of the 6th is Sun in Virgo in the 6th house, right?

Thanks,

FL

Joseph Ledzion

[deleted attacking comment - please keep in mind that everyone is at a different level in their astrological studies here...while it is OK to correct a person for an astrological mistake, it is NOT OK to make a big deal about their mistake and seem to make fun of them for their lack of astrological knowledge - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsontc

Staff member
please keep house system discussions off the basic astrology forums, to all

To all,

PLEASE keep any in depth discussion of house systems off the basic astrology forums. When answering someone's posted request to read their chart, read their chart using your house system WITHOUT any comments about why your system is better than anybody else's. If you want to discuss house systems in depth, there is an entire forum dedicated to house system discussions. Please post your comments there:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Or you can PM someone directly and ask about the house system they use in their astrology if you don't want to start a new topic.

Moderately,

Tim

Last edited:

waybread

Re: please keep house system discussions off the basic astrology forums, to all

Freedomlover, I am not sure I follow your train of thought....so let me just express mine again, in the hope that you're better at figuring out my meaning than I was with yours!

[BTW there is a newer book out on this technique by Alan Oken, Rulers of the Horoscope. Noel Tyl uses it a little bit in his book on careers, where he discusses it as his "midheaven extention method" but the technique is a lot older than his book.]

So danieycc has several planets in Virgo, with Leo on the cusp. Leo is ruled by the sun. This is called the "lord" or "accidental ruler" of the house cusp. I see that Tim has deleted a bunch of posts by Joseph, who was making a case for the whole sign house method, in which one sign=one 30-degree house. The accidental house cusp ruler system wouldn't work the same way in the whole sign house system, because the house cusp would always be ruled by the "natural" ruler of the sign.

OK, but in Placidus and most other systems, you will usually get one sign on the cusp and then another sign picking up deeper into the house, as in danieycc's case. So the house cusp ruler will often be in a different sign than the sign of any planets in that house.

A Virgo planet is a Virgo planet, so I wouldn't see its qualities "tinted" by Leo unless it might conjunct a nearby Leo planet. Signs indicate "how" or "in what manner" planets function.

But if we shift the question and ask how danieycc's 6th house planets function, then we would look to the sun (6th house ruler) by its own house and aspects to learn something about danieycc's 6th house. Sometimes a planet is actually in the house it rules; but 11/12 times it will be in some other house.

Just for example, my MC is in Gemini. Well, to find something about my career or public image, we would look for the position of Mercury. My Mercury is in Aquarius in the 5th house, conjunct Venus but opposite my moon. My job did not relate to children, gambling, love affairs or recreation; but more to my feeling [moon] that my job (a) had to be fun to do, and (b) that my hobbies often seemed more important to me than my paid work. [Like, oh, astrology--traditionally ruled by Mercury.]

If the ruler of someone's 6th house is in the 2nd house, then we might consider whether work and service are tied to her income in some way: maybe she would be good at working in "financial services" or maybe she would volunteer to be a fund-raiser. If the ruler of the 6th is in the 3rd, however, she might serve people through writing and communicating.

I hope this makes sense!

freedomlover

Thanks for taking the time to answer me, Waybread!
Freedomlover, I am not sure I follow your train of thought....so let me just express mine again, in the hope that you're better at figuring out my meaning than I was with yours!
Ummm.....No... I didn't catch your "train" either. Let me go to the details and "splain":
OK, but in Placidus and most other systems, you will usually get one sign on the cusp and then another sign picking up deeper into the house, as in danieycc's case. So the house cusp ruler will often be in a different sign than the sign of any planets in that house.
Yes, I'm well aware of that, and that was the nature of danieycc's query, if I didn't read her wrong.
quoting waybread: A Virgo planet is a Virgo planet, so I wouldn't see its qualities "tinted" by Leo unless it might conjunct a nearby Leo planet. Signs indicate "how" or "in what manner" planets function.
That is the way I saw it, as well. I'll re-post my answer to daineycc's query:
Personally, I would see this as all your 6th house planets being "tinted" with Sun in Virgo "color", as Sun in Virgo would be the ruler of the 6th house cusp. I would count more of a "Leo-tinting" if the ruler of the 6th was in the 5th or if your Sun was in Leo, as well . Also, a Sun in the 5th is more than likely going to be much more Leo-like than a Sun in the 6th.
I only used the phraseology of being "tinted", as I was trying to answer daineycc in the same language she was using:

daineycc wrote:
I guess I was asking if the way I had described it went along with the method you were describing from the book. It sounds like we are talking about the same method.

quoting waybread: But if we shift the question and ask how danieycc's 6th house planets function, then we would look to the sun (6th house ruler) by its own house and aspects to learn something about danieycc's 6th house. Sometimes a planet is actually in the house it rules; but 11/12 times it will be in some other house.
The way I interpreted what she was asking, she was asking about how her 6th house is influenced as a whole, with all the planets therein, by Leo being on the cusp.
Personally, I would see this as all your 6th house planets being "tinted" with Sun in Virgo "color", as Sun in Virgo would be the ruler of the 6th house cusp.
Sun rules 6th house cusp. Sun is in Virgo in the 6th house. Wouldn't the Sun, then "tint" all the action of the 6th house? Isn't that the same thing you are describing with your method?

daineycc wrote:
I would have described this as she had her Sun, Venus, and Mars all in Virgo in the 6th house, ruled by Sun in Virgo in the 6th ( rather than "ruled by Leo"). Is that a correct description?

daineycc wrote:
I wrote in response:
I would count more of a "Leo-tinting" if the ruler of the 6th was in the 5th or if your Sun was in Leo, as well . Also, a Sun in the 5th is more than likely going to be much more Leo-like than a Sun in the 6th.
I was saying that I did not view the house ruler of the 6th, seeing as it was in Virgo in the 6th, as being "leo-esque". I was saying that it might take on a slightly more "leo-esque" tint if the house ruler of the 6th was in the 5th - natural home of the Sun, and thus more associated with Leo.
Now..... I think we are saying pretty much the same thing.... do you?

FL

Last edited:

katydid

It sounds to me like you two are essentially saying the same thing.

waybread

Actually FL, I neglected to go back to the original post, to recognize that D's sun is also in Virgo in the 6th! Mea culpa!

OK, I think I do follow your next message. A lot depends upon the correspondences one sees between a sign and its ruling planet. There are "lumpers" who might combine the qualities of a sign and its ruling planet, and "splitters", who keep them separate. I am more of a "splitter." I don't think descriptions of Leo match Virgo very well; and I don't think the description of the sun per se matches descriptions of Leo as a sign much, either. For example, the sun is one's ego, identity, what one lives for, how/where one feels most like oneself. Leo may take these concepts to greater extremes than other signs, but I wouldn't see the sign on a house cusp as giving its own qualities to the sign that follows it within the same house.

I do think the idea of "chords" or "keys" has merit, in which sometimes patterns emerge with a strong focus in a chart on a sign, its ruling planet, and its "natural" house (like Virgo and the 6th.)

What I think Leo on the cusp and the sun in this house doing, as per my previous 2 posts, would be reinforcing a strong 6th house focus for D.

freedomlover

waybread said:
Actually FL, I neglected to go back to the original post, to recognize that D's sun is also in Virgo in the 6th! Mea culpa!

OK, I think I do follow your next message. A lot depends upon the correspondences one sees between a sign and its ruling planet. There are "lumpers" who might combine the qualities of a sign and its ruling planet, and "splitters", who keep them separate. I am more of a "splitter." I don't think descriptions of Leo match Virgo very well; and I don't think the description of the sun per se matches descriptions of Leo as a sign much, either. For example, the sun is one's ego, identity, what one lives for, how/where one feels most like oneself. Leo may take these concepts to greater extremes than other signs, but I wouldn't see the sign on a house cusp as giving its own qualities to the sign that follows it within the same house.

I do think the idea of "chords" or "keys" has merit, in which sometimes patterns emerge with a strong focus in a chart on a sign, its ruling planet, and its "natural" house (like Virgo and the 6th.)

What I think Leo on the cusp and the sun in this house doing, as per my previous 2 posts, would be reinforcing a strong 6th house focus for D.

Hey Waybread!

I had a sneaking suspicion that there may have been an oversight on that part. Without that detail, we just didn't make sense, did we? LOL

Thanks for the descriptions of "lumpers" and "splitters" - I hadn't thought of that before ( but then again, I don't get out much.:eek:) I can see I'm definitely a "lumper", in that I do very much correlate Sun and Leo qualities.

However, I think we totally agree that we both interpret all of this as having a very strong 6th house focus - especially with Mars and Venus in there as well. Ruler of 6th - Sun, IN the 6th? C'mon.....:D

I appreciate your patience and willingness to explain, as always, waybread.

FL

(And thanks to katydid for trying to smooth over the confusion. I don't know how we got our wires so crossed, unless it was, like waybread said - she failed to notice the placement of the Sun in the 6th)