Trying to calculate ascendant?

Slenkar

I used the formula that is on the wikipedia ascendant entry.
I used my own birth details, and got 133 degrees as the answer.

When I put my birth details into websites they say i am about 20 degrees libra, so 133 doesnt sound right.

Has anyone had any luck using math to calculate the ascendant?

Oddity

You really want a table of houses to look it up. I haven't tried the wiki method, but 133 sounds weird - if it were straight degrees, assuming that we're starting from Aries, it would be 13 Leo.

I have books that show you how to do charts by hand, but I'm sure there must be a few web sites that have the calculation methods on them, too.

Slenkar

The most clear website was an italian one, it relied on looking up the result in a book- after doing a bunch of calculations

I want to make a website so I need the answer without a lookup (or be able to get all the lookup information for download)

If someone can help me I will cut them into the profits.

JUPITERASC

I used the formula that is on the wikipedia ascendant entry.
I used my own birth details, and got 133 degrees as the answer.

When I put my birth details into websites they say i am about 20 degrees libra, so 133 doesnt sound right.

Has anyone had any luck using math to calculate the ascendant?
CALCULATING A NATAL CHART BY HAND
EXAMPLE FROM KEN WARD'S ASTROLOGY PAGES
http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_d...ns/calcGMT.htm

Astrology: Calculating the Chart - UT or GMT.

'….While few people are actually going to work out astrological charts by hand, that is, using paper, pencil,
it is important to know how to do it
because unless an astrologer spends a great deal of time doing charts by hand,
they will never fully understand astrology.
By doing charts by hand,
one begins to understand more about the movement of the planets
and how they combine to affect the lives of people on Earth.
Astrology is a sacred science
and by doing the mundane routine things,
our minds enter a meditative state
wherein we realise things we might not have been able to know or understand otherwise....'

To make a horoscope
(in addition to writing and drawing tools)
you need an atlas and an ephemeris
:smile:
An ephemeris is a book or booklet containing information about the positions of planets, etc.

The information you require is the date and time and place of birth.

The place of birth is expressed in longitude and latitude.

Universal Time, or Greenwich Mean Time, is required to calculate the positions of the planets.

THE FOLLOWING LINKS ARE FOR THOSE WHO PREFER TO USE A TABLE OF HOUSES

CALCULATING A NATAL CHART BY HAND http://www.astrologicallyspeaking.co...ulatechart.pdf

'….For some time, our NCGR Chapters have asked for an available example of how to set a natal chart.
During the Spring 2010 Board meeting, it was voted that NCGR would place such an example on its website, utilizing as a resource, Joan Negus’ out-of-print workbook, Basic Astrology: a Practical
Guide. This particular work was chosen because it offers a time-proven resource for learning to accurately set a natal chart and is an excellent way to honor Joan since she and Ken Negus
were instrumental in helping to establish the NCGR education program. Ken Negus was contacted for permission to utilize Joan’s workbook, which he graciously gave.....'

INSTRUCTIONS
HOW TO SET A NATAL CHART
http://www.geocosmic.org/educ/assets/chartcalc.pdf

'….Two resources that one must have available to set a chart are:

1. Table of Houses
2. Ephemeris of the year of birth.

Many examples are found in tables of houses and some ephemerides.

Examples given herein yield acceptable results for exams. One may calculate by hand or by calculator, both methods are included.

NB

Hand and/or computer calculating
does not always yield exactly to the minute and second
the same results as from astrological software

In fact,
not all astrological software yields exactly to the minute-second the same results
as another astrological software
thus a small amount of error is accepted by exams.....'