Intelligence

Frank

Frank, could you tell us a bit more about your findings? I'm afraid I don't understand a lot about what you put above, but I'd be grateful for some for some more info.

I lecture about it frequently, but I haven't yet written an article for publication about it. Stay tuned.

Rebel Uranian

I think it has to do with the 9th house and possibly Jupiter. The 3rd and Mercury are more about communications. I've heard a lot of stuff along the lines of "this one philosopher has a terrible Mercury" and I'm like "isn't philosophy ruled by Jupiter...?" Mercury would definitely be for scores on IQ tests, but that means absolutely nothing to me.

I think sign position is more "qualitative" for lack of a better word and is less appropriate for quantitative analysis - something that angularity and aspects are better suited for. I haven't tested that out in any serious way, though.

Signs are only for dignity/debility. Aside from the sect and rulership of the sign, they do not at all determine a planet's character. My Saturn is peregrine (-5) and fall (-4) and it receives a +31 total dignity via a lot of ludicrous fortunate accidents. A very strongly dignified planet receives a +5 or higher.

Last edited:
Apologies that I haven't read the whole thread, but I am usually quite impressed by folks who have moon/merc in nice aspect. They may not be more intelligent than the rest, but their ability to express the intelligence they've got is nice. Good for teachers.

hey...

Raises her hand...eh hem. Ummm I think I have some of those aspects of which you speak, but then I could easily be wrong. Do you guys see any signs of intelligence in this celestial body? I could use a boost...grins.

b.

Well, you have mars in the third in cappy...would defo give you a strong platform for debate.

Rebel Uranian

On what research and experience do you base this assertion?

I do not base this on direct astrological experience. I base it on this: Science, minus the scientific method, was around a long time. However, it was not called science. It was called natural philosophy (Jupiter,) and to practice it, you were called a natural philosopher. Science, philosophy, religion, and superstition are all really the same thing no matter how much conflict they think they have (and are all ruled by Jupiter.)

In terms of other intelligence, writing definitely uses Mercury, but writing, no matter how rote and factual, is also an art form, so it'd also require Venus. Being an orator requires one to get on stage, which would also require the Sun. There is no clear-cut single planet for anything.

dr. farr

Science, philosophy, religion, and superstition are all really the same thing no matter how much conflict they think they have (and are all ruled by Jupiter.)

There is no clear-cut single planet for anything.

Right: and another affinitve planet to the above subjects is Mercury (some would give the emphasis to Mercury except relative to the religion and "superstition" areas)

fullmoonlibra

Hi Lissa, I have come to observe that planets in Virgo and well aspected planets to either the H3 cusp , H9 cusp and planets within show <intelligence< potential.I have noticed that mercury badly aspected by malefic planets can impede communication skills so that Intelligence can be hard to measure (deafness for instance).Resourcefullness can be a measure of intelligence so saturn or capricorn well aspected can be a factor.Wit can be a measure of intelligence so positive aspects between moon/jupiter/mercury can produce a certain sharpness of mind. If by <intelligence> you mean the <ability to learn> then look to the H9/H3 axis and rulers..If you mean by <intelligence> original thought or <genius> aspects, I would say look to Uranus/Mercury- even Neptune well placed can create the vision that inspires the action/creation/invention, but negating aspects here can turn inspiration into dissipation. For <intelligent> acts of bravery look to what Mars is doing, in regard to the translation of THOUGHT into ACTION. i guess much depends on what exactly you mean by <intelligence>... i find Gemini and Virgo to be strong in the charts of people I regard as quick-minded or clear thinkers.... Lillyjgc

Wow, very interesting!
You don't find such informative and practical stuff on the internet, I want to learn to interpret like this too :happy:

Rebel Uranian

Right: and another affinitve planet to the above subjects is Mercury (some would give the emphasis to Mercury except relative to the religion and "superstition" areas)

Mercury is affinitive to everything in some way or another. I consider science much more affinitive to Jupiter than Mercury. Science is just a methodized philosophy. It's not considered science if you don't use the scientific method. Method would be Mercury and Saturn combined.

byjove

Account Closed
I think it has to do with the 9th house and possibly Jupiter. The 3rd and Mercury are more about communications. I've heard a lot of stuff along the lines of "this one philosopher has a terrible Mercury" and I'm like "isn't philosophy ruled by Jupiter...?" Mercury would definitely be for scores on IQ tests, but that means absolutely nothing to me.

Hmm I'm intrigued by your perspectives...and I'm quite in the mood of restraining science fans when they attempt to name everything after them...this certainly adds something to my weaponry!

I haven't thought about things like this...^^^

And if you looked for signs of intelligence in the chart, what would you look for?

Rebel Uranian

I'm still learning, but currently something starting like this and then breaking down houses etc. What is intelligence? The important bit is not measured on an IQ test. That might just be me technically not being a genius speaking, but I doubt it's bias.

dr. farr

Many of the ancients attributed Mercury to the total organization of "the mind", with Saturn connected to memory and recall, Jupiter to reasoning and logical thinking, Moon to intuition and the "knowledge by feeling" capacity, Venus to the "knowing" coming through empathy and identification (of subject with object), and Mars, with the Will (such as the Will to know).
I have largely used these affinities in astro-therapeutic analysis and in the determination of potential remedies...

...and I should have mentioned the Sun, connected with clear vision, inspiration, and direct perception of "the True", ie, INSIGHT...

Last edited:

mjackieward7

I totally agree with you, Pisceanfool, about the Mercury-Uranus connection. Mercury well dignified, free of combustion, and in easy aspects to Uranus, Jupiter, Mars and the Moon will do.

And about those "blind spots" you talk about, I get them as well. My Mercury in Sagittarius is at only 3 degrees from my Scorpio Sun and conjunct my Saturn in Sagittarius. Sometimes when I am in the middle of a conversation, I may stop talking because my mind goes blank for a few seconds, after which I am able to keep it up. I wonder if this is because my Mercury gets somehow burned or flashed by the Sun, even if I have read that the combustion only occurs when Mercury is in the same sign as the Sun.

This is for the sake of learning.:)

I don't know if those aspects makes anyone smart, I mean I have all those aspects and I do not think I am like super smart or anything like that or that I have success above average. Well but then again I can be a bit lazy at times :). Sorry for just sticking my comments into your conversation but really those aspects does not mean someone is smart or like that...this is my chart and you can see Mercury is gemini, trines uranus, jupiter, conjuct saturn in the first house and nothing, I was not any smarter in college, did not graduate with honors. So what can we say about this?

Attachments

• astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg
    astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27

mjackieward7

Many of the ancients attributed Mercury to the total organization of "the mind", with Saturn connected to memory and recall, Jupiter to reasoning and logical thinking, Moon to intuition and the "knowledge by feeling" capacity, Venus to the "knowing" coming through empathy and identification (of subject with object), and Mars, with the Will (such as the Will to know).
I have largely used these affinities in astro-therapeutic analysis and in the determination of potential remedies...

I do not know if mercury makes someone smarter, just base on my own experience and maybe being new to astrology but I never saw any edge on having strong mercury according to what they said how it needs to be in its own sign and trine with all these planets. What I do know is that your mind can be 100 miles per hour, havin all these ideas and having extreme difficulty to rest because you are always thinking.....even about things that have not matter or that others do not seem to even notice. Just do not know about making you smarter.
here is my chart maybe you can give me advice on how to shut my mind..

Attachments

• astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg
    astro_2ata_01_aaa.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24

dr. farr

In the reference chart we find the mutable Gemini ascending sign power packed by its ruler, Mercury plus the vitalizing Sun and Venus and Saturn, the first sign being mundanely associated with the "head", so, a lot of energy is in your "head"! The brain, subtley connected with the Moon, is also under the stimulating dispositorship of Mars, and is posited in the SIGN affiliated to the head, ie, Aries. Little wonder that your thinking (rapidity of flow of thoughts)is on overdrive! And see Mars, at the top of the chart, most elevated planet in the chart, approaching the MC-martial influence is damped down somewhat (fortunate for you) by placement in Pisces, but still, a potent martial influence must be remarked.

Elementally, AIR is associated with thoughts and the mind, and look at the large number of AIR element connections in this chart!
Mutability is associated with rapid "turnovers", and we find a large number of mutable connections in this chart: I would say (elementally) that there is an excess of AIR and a deficiency of the other elements necessary for balance; so one "remedy" might be use of crystals and herbs connected with FIRE/WATER/EARTH elements, ESPECIALLY with WATER/EARTH elements, also, in an effort to balance the apparently excess mutability, cultivating actions/activities/and other affinities of FIXED signs (particularly Taurus) might also be of benefit.

mjackieward7

In the reference chart we find the mutable Gemini ascending sign power packed by its ruler, Mercury plus the vitalizing Sun and Venus and Saturn, the first sign being mundanely associated with the "head", so, a lot of energy is in your "head"! The brain, subtley connected with the Moon, is also under the stimulating dispositorship of Mars, and is posited in the SIGN affiliated to the head, ie, Aries. Little wonder that your thinking (rapidity of flow of thoughts)is on overdrive! And see Mars, at the top of the chart, most elevated planet in the chart, approaching the MC-martial influence is damped down somewhat (fortunate for you) by placement in Pisces, but still, a potent martial influence must be remarked.

Elementally, AIR is associated with thoughts and the mind, and look at the large number of AIR element connections in this chart!
Mutability is associated with rapid "turnovers", and we find a large number of mutable connections in this chart: I would say (elementally) that there is an excess of AIR and a deficiency of the other elements necessary for balance; so one "remedy" might be use of crystals and herbs connected with FIRE/WATER/EARTH elements, ESPECIALLY with WATER/EARTH elements, also, in an effort to balance the apparently excess mutability, cultivating actions/activities/and other affinities of FIXED signs (particularly Taurus) might also be of benefit.

Doctor Farr,
Thank you very much, you actually described and put it into words too much air. Just for others readers that might not suffer from having too much air, it is not a good feeling, not a good feeling. not being able to feel grounded or able to just sit there and quiet down inside makes you at times feel so restless and frustrated. So what sort of things Taurus activities would do? Crystals and Herbs, what do you do with them?
thank you, maybe after learning how to calm down, I would actually be able to think about something good :). thanks

I do not know if mercury makes someone smarter, just base on my own experience and maybe being new to astrology but I never saw any edge on having strong mercury according to what they said how it needs to be in its own sign and trine with all these planets. What I do know is that your mind can be 100 miles per hour, havin all these ideas and having extreme difficulty to rest because you are always thinking.....even about things that have not matter or that others do not seem to even notice. Just do not know about making you smarter.
here is my chart maybe you can give me advice on how to shut my mind..

I agree with you. I have a strong chart for intellect, and while I am not stupid, I wouldn't say that that is my strongest attribute, being cerebral. I have merc conjunct asc in Virgo making sextiles to jup and uranus and mars...i am often lost in thought, and i think i have a decent mind, but it is capricious. I have a lot of mental connections, but not enough focus. Almost an accident when I make sense :)

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
So we're saying that this isn't limited to Mercury, that the other planets are involved.

Next, I trust it's not just 'positive' aspects? How do 'hard' aspects fare? I've read before that planetary contact either way produces common effects, but how you get there (easy, stressful etc.) depends on the contact.