Sabian Symbols

According to the traditional astrology, for each planet in the sign of its exaltation there is one specific degree which is especially potent and dignifying for this planet. In case you’ve never heard of it or forgot what these degrees are, here is a list of them:

Sun: 19th degree of Aries (18°00'-18°59')
Moon: 3rd degree of Taurus (2°00'-2°59')
Mercury: 15th degree of Virgo (14°00'-14°59')
Venus: 27th degree of Pisces (26°00'-26°59')
Mars: 28th degree of Capricorn (27°00'-27°59')
Jupiter: 15th degree of Cancer (14°00'-14°59')
Saturn: 21st degree of Libra (20°00'-20°59')

I suppose it’s impossible to find how and why these particular degrees were calculated, but I’m interested whether they have some importance or not. I personally have no planets in these degrees and none of my friends and family members do too. I only know one musician I really like who has his Venus in this degree of Pisces, but I don’t know his birth time, so I suppose it could have shifted to another degree during the time he was born.

Do you have any planets in these degrees? Do you know someone who does? Are the qualities of the planets expressed here better than in the rest of the sign? Tell me all you know. :cool:

Can you compare them here: https://sabiansymbols.com/symbol-lookup/

piercethevale

Man, Wilson... you are forever an enigma.
Why would you cut and move a single post, a post by a banned member no less, from its thread of origin... and also from the sub-forum in which it was topically addressed to ... to anywhere else and not leave a tracer from which the viewer (as like myself) may be able to utilize to understand from what and where this post originates and then be able to determine what should be its ultimate destination... if other than oblivion?

The question this post was in reply to made no mention of degree symbols nor was it asking for an answer through the use of degree symbolism, if one might even be given, to the question they posited.

That this now banned member wrote a brief reply that is baffling, possibly because of poor syntax, as I am unable to determine if He was trying to provide an answer or if He was possibly compounding the question with one of his own?

I am left with but one question here for myself... is the Degree Symbolism sub forum presently considered to be but a dumping ground for unintelligible posts or some type of orphanage for the abandoned posts of former members?:andy:

(wouldn't it have been better for us all if this post was rather just deleted from the thread in which it did originate?...and as the person that wrote it has since been banned and the person it was written to may have possibly never even seen it ...then why not have just deleted the **** thing and then been done with it?

Regardless of what the answer is to the question I posited I will try to address a number of the ways the sole post that originates this thread might lead, or otherwise mislead for that matter, any unsuspecting member or non-member that just happens to stumble upon this thread, lets curiosity get the better of their judgement, and read the doggone thing.

I did spend a number of days not too long ago trying to make sense of the, so called, exalted degrees of the planets and luminaries (and there are two for the Nodes of the Moon as well) and could not find a single reason that they should in fact be considered to be anything other than just ordinary degrees of the Zodiac no different as from all the rest of them.

I have found over the last, nearly, thirteen years that the Sabian Symbols are the ultimate tool of rectification and.that they can often be taken to be literal in symbolism when taken as in relevance to the nature of the particular axis point to the chart axes, or that of the House itself in fact all the House cusps (Placidus only) when given a personal interpretation through the Sabian Symbols are always spot on literally relevant to the Sabian Symbol in relationship to the attributes and realms they are said to be particularly attuned to and the chart native ....

The Part of Nobility and Honor which utilizes the exalted degree of the Sun (given as 19° Aries in every source material I've ever encountered on the subject save but one, that being given precisely as 18° Aries 56' by astrologer Andrew J. Bevan) as in place of the "Significator" (the entire formula thus being Asc. + 19° Aries {or 18° Aries 56'}) - natal Sun has yet to prove to me to actually be a legitimate Part having any sort of association with what might be taken to be about the subject of "nobility" or "honor" in consideration of the person from which whose chart the derivation of the Part was made from.

Andrew J. Bevan also gives one of the better explanations I've ever read as to how and why the particular degrees were assigned as such. That can be read here: http://www.astronor.com/exaltations.htm
( I tried for hours this past evening to find the one webpage from which I had read not too long ago claiming that the particular degrees in relation to the planets assigned them had something to do with relative declination in the sky over Mecca on a night of much spiritual significance to those of the Islamic faith... which I found to be about the mnost proposterous nonsense I just about had ever read concerning the subject of astrology.)

I cross referenced every exalted degree and the planet assigned to it to the Sabian Symbols as given and interpreted by Dane Rudhyar (the only definitive source for anything one needs to know about the Sabian Symbols) and not a one made sense as to any of it.

Another major problem that has to be taken into account is that of the precession of the equinoxes. That everything in the sky shifts forward about one degree apprx. every 71.6 years coupled with the fact that hardly any two astrologers presently alive agree on what the ayanamsha is at any given time just makes any assumption that any transiting element, be it planetary, luminary, or imaginary to be "exalted", or "dignified", or "ruling" based on where it is to be found at the time in the Tropical Zodiac ludacris to the nth degree.

I find it to be for the best interests of all concerned to just concentrate on the interplay of aspects between the transiting forces for astrological interpretations and future predictions and to use the Tropical Zodiac only for reference points as to current position and for Sabian Symbol identification/association...as the Sabians do not move and are permanently tied to it.
...and in further consideration take into account the following text which I lifted from the webpage of astrotheme on the subject of the exalted degree.

"Depending on its state, a planet is referred to as dignified or debilitated. Five states are possible: rulership, when the planet is in the sign(s) it rules, detriment, exaltation and fall. The fifth state is referred to as peregrine: a planet is peregrine when it is in none of the four states enumerated above. Lastly, it is important to mention that modern astrologers do not agree on the importance of planetary dignities and debilities. Therefore, caution is to be exercised. "
On the same webpage at astrotheme at the conclusion of their explanation of a planet or luminary in the state of Fall they at astrotheme then add; "When a planet is in none of the enumerated four states, it is in a peregrine state, or it is a peregrine planet.

In two cases out of three, planets are peregrine, and the aspects they form with other planets or angles are even more determining.

This is an important remark that is worth underlining. More and more often, modern astrology decreases the influence of rulerships and pays more attention to aspects.
"

Lastly, take a bit of advice from me and stay away from the link the lone, hapless, and now banned member gave as reference (i.e. that of Lynda Hill) and stick with Dane Rudhyar.
Lynda's work can be insightful but mostly Her work concerning the symbols has deviated from the truth as to the articular precept of the symbol that will be found at any given Zodiacal degree. That is because she found it fitting to change some of the symbols from what either Marc Jones had originally written down and, or, that given by Dane Rudhyar whom did change a few as to the description originally given but Dane was preeminently qualified to do so and I have compared all that He changed with those as originally given and found that He made those that He altered more understandable to blokes like myself... (they are timeless symbols and have been where they are since all began but the symbolism that makes sense as to any particular precept to a late 20th century middle class American white boy most likely wouldn't make a lick of sense to an astrologer in ancient Babylonia. They need to be revised and brought up to date culturally when necessary. Lynda has managed to make a couple/few more understandable to many that are not Americans. But it is best to start with Rudhyar and stick with his works at least until one has become very adept )
Clarification to the last paragraph: I should have written that they are "timeless precepts". The symbolism is somewhat ever changing as it is a cultural interpretation

Pray for Peace.
ptv

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

My Pluto placement is 21' 38" Libra (Feb 15, 1980) - conjunct IC 3' Libra. What would happen if Saturn crossed this placement every 29.6 years in its orbit? Would happened twice in my life time: Jan 1-5, 1982 (I was only a toddler, can't remember what happened then) and Oct 24-26, 2011 (when the Sun just transit Scorpio, would conjunct Saturn earlier Oct 12-14). I was sick that week and called sick, this was also before I joined the AW in Jan 5?, 2012.

piercethevale

My Pluto placement is 21' 38" Libra (Feb 15, 1980) - conjunct IC 3' Libra. What would happen if Saturn crossed this placement every 29.6 years in its orbit? Would happened twice in my life time: Jan 1-5, 1982 (I was only a toddler, can't remember what happened then) and Oct 24-26, 2011 (when the Sun just transit Scorpio, would conjunct Saturn earlier Oct 12-14). I was sick that week and called sick, this was also before I joined the AW in Jan 5?, 2012.

The alleged region of the exalted Saturn is from 20° Libra 00' 01" to 21° Libra 00' 00". Your natal Pluto is in the 22nd degree of Libra. By tradition a Planet must be withing the degree as there is no orb of influence outside f the degree.

I have natal Saturn at 22° Libra 17' 17" conj. Neptune at 21° Libra 52' 45" I do have an inherent ability to meditate very easily, very quickly... an attribute bestowed by a strong Saturn-Neptune conj. I can also retain imagery in my mind rather well also. When I'm shown a complex randomly drawn line I can replicate it with about ten seconds of study... any type of exercise or task that requires me to retain any image in my minds eye...or a musical note... I'm not noted for any musical ability but the locals in this area that play a guitar or banjo will tell you that I am a virtual tuning fork. I often have very vivid, lucid, dreams and on occasion I have a prophetic dream that always comes true.
These are all just natural abilities but greatly enhanced by a Saturn/Neptune conj. As the authors Sakoian and Acker wrote in their "Astrologers Handbook" (a wonderful handbook as they emphasize those planetary combinations when they indicate metaphysical endowments. I haven't seen all such aspects in in the charts I've studied for people in the last 33 years but I have seen many of them in the charts of people I've met, or already knew. and haven't found a one that I disagree with yet.
Sakoian and Acker described the Saturn Neptune conjunction as thus: "If it is well aspected and in harmony with the overall horoscope, this conjunction gives steadfastness and powers of concentration in meditation and in the use of clairvoyant faculties." Saturn gives the Neptunian dream form and solidity... the conjunction is the "3D printer" like aspect of astrological aspects.

The Saturn/Pluto conjunction, on the other hand, is known as "the aspect of the magician" in certain astrological circles. It confers the ability to channel occult powers through structured systems.

There are also what are known as "Critical Degrees" within each Sign. I have no formulated opinion as to whether they are of any particularly strong influence. The astrologer, and author,Llewellyn George wrote the following about the, so-called, "Critical Degrees"
"These sensitive or critical degrees were given considerable importance by the ancients. A planets' strength or power in the horoscope is believed to be increased when in any of these degrees, or within an orb of 3° of the critical degree. A Planet dignified by sign or house, or strongly aspected, receives still greater power and one weakly placed or poorly aspected receives help from such location. Students may wish to observe these critical degree influences in horoscopes, as well as in horary charts and planets by transit over them."

The Critical Degrees are listed as

Signs .................................. Degrees

:aries: :cancer: :libra: :capricorn: .................... 0°.... 13° .... 26°

:taurus: :leo: :scorpio: :aquarius: .................... 9°..... 21°

:gemini: :virgo: :sagittarius: :pisces: .................... 4° ..... 17°

...an excellant example would be Mars in 13° :aries: or 26° :aries:

Last edited: