The Water Pig - Does it have much hope?

Thelps

I'd be interested to learn if the Water Pig has much hope, according to Chinese Astrology? Especially with regards to being able to control one's life... pick one's spouse, find happiness throughout life and understanding from others, and be able to actuate one's dreams and goals? So far, I understand the Pig is the most naive [read: largely stupid] incarnation in the Eastern Lunar Zodiac, and is unable to exert control over others beyond emotional blackmail [read: crying when it doesn't get its way]. By contrast, all other signs, Dog included, manipulate to achieve what they want, and thereby have a stronger potential to lead richer, more varied and wide-ranging lives.

As the zodiac itself indicates: the Pig must stay in one place in order to remain safe, while all other signs may travel. Another, somewhat dismaying [for Pigs at least] item of evidence is that if one observes, say, a Rat individual, their cranium size, density of hair and general demeanor of health is far more advanced and clear than that of a Pig of only one year older. This, again, indicates, simply from aspects of cranial size [something I understand is an unpopular subject of discussion, despite its scientific indicator of intelligence] that they are far more aware, bright, intelligent etc. than the Pig ever could be.

In summation: Is there hope for Pigs? Can a Pig pick their own career? Can they educate themselves as well as, say a Rat, or a Cat/Rabbit, or another sign? Can they choose their long term partner? Or do they, instead, lead a philosophical existence of learning to settle for what they're given... rather than a life of pursuing, and eventually achieving [through dedication, work, perseverance and other admirable qualities] their dreams and life goals?

I was born in 1959, which makes me an Earth Pig.

I've never had any problems traveling the world, although my psychic intuition told me to avoid China because I would end up in prison there.

I have no problem spotting grifters and con-artists, so I don't see how I could be considered naive. In fact I've been described as an old soul by many. I do consider myself a skeptical person, much like a "doubting Thomas."

I've never been into deception, and I don't feed into that energy, so maybe this is naive of me.

Intelligence has never been a problem for me, and college was a breeze. I remember this political science course where these woman sitting next to me were almost in tears because I would breeze through the essay questions, and they would struggle. The tests were open book and I never once cracked open the book to answer a question. I felt sorry for them as they searched frantically through their books.

I have to wonder if the discrepancies in Chinese astrology has to do with physical location, and cultural DNA. Maybe something is "lost in translation?" :wink:

ZWDS

A zodiac sign alone is inaccurate and a bad indicator in giving any factual information about the person.

It similar to judging and categorizing someone based on their Sun sign alone; it is never conclusive not to mention the accuracy of it.

Thelps

The reason I enquire as to why the Pig is constantly the 'loser' and never the 'winner' stems from a few key points about Chinese Astrology.

Firstly, despite the Pig and Snake being opposed, it is in their opposition that the Pig winds up paying the Snake in order for the Snake to tolerate the Pig. This is combined with the fact that Snakes are renowned for their elusive allure, and Pigs are renowned for... well, are renowned for their greed, excess, inactivity and naivety. If their is any justice in Astrology (and I strongly doubt there is, much due to this) then surely there would be compensating factors for the Pig. From what I can tell though, I'm stuck weighing up 'Imperialist with incredible powers of persuasion, indefinable sexual allure and the ability to manipulate people with almost psychic-like persuasion' (Snake) vs. 'Naive, overly-trusting, only ever has enough money to get by, never really saves, wallows in suffering, best weapon is the ability to emotionally cause someone to pity it enough to do it a favour' (Pig).

Secondly, the Pig is informed that it should always stay in one place in life. This is because that way it can build up a loyal circle of friends (read: people who both pity and manipulate it) and not be so far from its support structure that its overwhelming naivety gets it into mortal danger. It is also said that the Pig will lose 'everything' more than once in life, but will bounce back stronger than before. This is code for 'is stupid enough to lose all its possessions, eventually comes to terms with incredible poverty and bad luck to the point that it isn't so bothered by their presence'. Once again, this is very difficult to find any form of strength, optimism or enough philosophical rigour in.

Thirdly, the Pig's ruled emotion is Fear. That is to say the Pig both experiences Fear acutely and is capable of causing others to experience it. However,m as we have learned from reading any Chinese Astrological text, all eleven other signs are more wordly-wise and better at playing power games than the Pig. Therefore, should the Pig choose to cause fear in another the consequences of this insult would be disastrous to the Pig. Furthermore, Chinese Astrology recommends the Pig avoid 'All forms of contrivance' as they will only serve to cause the Pig greater distress and hardship down the road.

Am I wrong in thinking the Pig bears many similarities to a mentally disabled person with learning difficulties and/or a child not yet independent from their parents?

What is there to be positive about with such a profile? Please don't say honesty and generosity are undervalued concepts, because that's the equivalent of saying 'the only upside to your situation is no one values your positive traits'...

Sources: Chinese Sexual Astrology - Shelley Wu, Chinese Horoscopes - Theodora Lau and Amy Lau, The Secrets of Chinese Astrology - Derek Walters

Last edited:
Considering that the Year of the Water Boar covers February 13, 1983 to February 1, 1984, that's a lot of people under such a category, and I doubt all the people born in those 12 months are all the same.

ZWDS

Considering that the Year of the Water Boar covers February 13, 1983 to February 1, 1984, that's a lot of people under such a category, and I doubt all the people born in those 12 months are all the same.

I concur. It's the same as saying all Sagittarius people are the same and so on for other signs.

At best, they display a slight similarity in their general traits. Nothing more.

Thelps

However, we know, as ZWDS said, that a person is far more than their year or month's sign. In occidental astrology a person has signs in all nine planets plus a rising sign, a north node and also Chiron and Lilith. Eastern astrology takes into account 4 signs (year, month, day and hour) as well as a balance of the 5 elements. It is this complex combination of factors that astrology employs to explain why people who share sun/year signs differ so much from one another.

Ultimately, I have set myself a goal in my life and am keen to achieve it, but cannot find the confidence or trust in others around me to help me cultivate good habits in order to earn what I'm looking for. I attribute much of my lax ability and tendency to be led astray to the influence of the boar in my chart. Indeed, the Boar's natural element - water - is so heavily overemphasised in my chart (eclipsing the other 4 elements by a factor of 5 times in the second highest case) that I am certain I must find ways to mitigate this massive imbalance in order to take control of my life.

Any advice on how to downplay the eastern water element would be hugely appreciated. Also, ways to emphasise fire, earth and especially metal would help too.

Abby83

I think pigs get too much of a bad wrap personally. They are warm, kind, affectionate ppl and they are also service oriented. As a result of their good intentions, they may become easily used or trodden on by society. So when an interpretation might say stupid, it's like saying a dog is stupid for following his master, when really the dog has respect for the man who looks after him. Its unconditional love. I think the pig can have a successful life so long as they learn to put barriers up without getting too emotionally hung up on the consequenses. It's like the lesson of scorpio - not being too clingly with lessons of control and possessiveness and power etc.
Oh and the answer is yes, pigs can pursue their man or career or whatever. It just takes time for them to develop that strength. But it definitely gets there in the end.

Last edited: