Astrology Software

Fulcrum

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on astrology software for Apple MAC. I don't mind paying for it, as long as it is worth it. Free would be nice too. :eek:

I specifically want to use it to keep track of transits if there is such software. It's a bit difficult to keep track of them...

many thanks

I'm using Kairon. It's a little funky with updating information sometimes when you switch from person to person in your database, and the help file is pretty much a redirect to their online fora. And I wish it did declinations and latitudes; as it stands I have to boot into my Wintel box and run ZET for that (and even then I don't get heliocentric latitudes).

But other than that it does a fairly good job. It'll do tropical and sidereal zodiacs in geocentric, topocentric, and heliocentric calculations, has a host of built-in planets, asteroids, Arabic parts, and fixed stars (you can add more asteroids from the Swiss Ephemeris FTP at Astrodienst), and probably more aspects than you need. It'll do transits (past, present, and future), progressions, returns, eclipses. I don't find much of a difference between using Kairon and going out to Astro—differences are slight at best.

And, as they say, the price is right.

DreamingTheSeas

ZET9 is a very good program and very helpful for learning many many things. Although i have the free version, i find it the best of all the free programs.

Fulcrum

fulcrum

you might want to try this program.. i am running it on linux, but it says it works for mac. it is free, so the price is right!
http://sites.google.com/site/pymorinus/#TOC-Programming

Thanks for that SS. When I went to the site and tried to download it, I got presented with a viewer of all the files that were compressed into the ZIP. Trying a "Save File As.." wanted to download the link to the viewer.

Until I figure out how I can get the actual files onto my Mac without having to download them one at a time—and the number of files is legion—I'm going to have to come back to it when I have more time.

In the meantime, since my Kairon demo expired and I haven't had the bread to buy it yet, I've moved over to the OS X version of AstrologerXP, which I like just fine. Adding new asteroids is not too onerous—it's a matter of following the instructions in his single help file and knowing what to do when you get to the NASA Jet Propulsion Labs' FTP box through Terminal—but grouping them into a single place where I can edit their parameters in one fell swoop is something I haven't yet figured out; I may need the developer's help sussing that.

The interesting thing is that through editing the plist file for aspects, I've been able to add harmonic aspects beyond the 5th and 7th (it comes ready to do quintiles and septiles). So far I've gotten up to the 36th harmonic and I may not need to go much further than that. I'd love to be able to group those too, but I haven't found the method; turning these aspects on and off requires turning each individual aspect on and off, and now I've got several hundred aspects to choose from. Needlessly time-consuming—but the insights these aspects provide me are astounding.

Zaphod

Since I last replied, I bought Halloran Software's AstrolDeluxe Report Writer 8.0. I had been using Halloran's basic programs for over 20 years (MS-DOS and then Windows 95). The deluxe version comes with an excellent atlas and a "bare bones" report writer that mainly serves as a template for building your own reports; I get about 35% of a 40-page written report from the "canned" stuff, most of which is "OK" astrologically, not superior but you can arrange and edit the output to your own satisfaction. (You need to buy add-on modules to get the better material, but total cost - as long as you don't buy everything they offer - is still well below Solar Fire and similar high-end programs.)

A note about Morinus: if you're using the traditional essential and accidental dignities to determine planetary condition, Morinus is indispensable. I use it all the time for finding the chart almuten since I'm often dissatisfied with contemporary methods for choosing the ruling planet. You can play around with the settings for different traditional methods (Ptolemaic, Dorothean, Morin, etc.) and see what works best.

demetrius

Adding new asteroids is not too onerous—it's a matter of following the instructions in his single help file and knowing what to do when you get to the NASA Jet Propulsion Labs' FTP box through Terminal—but grouping them into a single place where I can edit their parameters in one fell swoop is something I haven't yet figured out; I may need the developer's help sussing that.

See Buid-in help, section 5:

5. Customizing aspects

To access advanced aspect editing features, you can copy the content of the shared folder to the AstrologerXP for iOS application shared folder (with deleting all its original content before it), then specify advanced aspect features like multiple aspect pages, colors, symbols, etc. And, finally, the content of the AstrologerXP for iOS application shared folder should be copied back to its original place. Please note that to copy AspectTables directory to the iOS shared path you should make AspectTables.zip archive with it and then copy the archive instead of directory itself.

Andreas

Just wondering, but is there a real astrology program for the iPad? I am not looking for the typical daily horoscope kind of programs, but one that calculates my radix and shows the cart.

André

theV

I highly recommend janus It great software it gives your chart wheel and aspect grid and display declination aspect and minor aspect it also has the option of midpoint

Zarathu

Account Closed
I've owned some version of Astroldeluxe from John Halloran since about 2000. Its run on every computer I had. While I also have a copy of Solar Fire Gold 7.1 which I need for some things that AstrolDeluxe won't do, AD is far easier to use than SFG. I also use the Astrodyne component of AD. At $169 US, its hard to go wrong. And John will help you with any problem you might have.

Ryan Kurczak

KALA is a great program. It is mainly Vedic Astrology, however it's got some great interfaces that allow you use the tropical zodiac and even the round wheel chart western astrologers are used to.

Here is a link to Kala.

Kala means "Time" - the Astrological Force that Brings Events to Pass. Kala is quickly becoming the premier Jyotish software due to its greatest accuracy, ease of use, and unique features. Kala has extensive calculations and easily customizable features. Kala runs in English, German, Russian, Spanish and Hungarian*.

There is more info on Kala on that link too. Great vedic astrology software program.

giorgosgs

astrologypre05.jpg

With a recent update at the Google Play store, Android's 'Astrology Premium' (The best astrology app out there) is now completely free without limits (with ads). This full version worths 2.99Euro now given completely free!!!

GET IT AT THE GOOGLE PLAY: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crazysoft.astrologypremiumLite

fxjoe

i would recommend http://astro-trade.com, it list all planets and moon transits for each day. the program is pretty intelligent and you dont really need to download it and use it at your computer only. it is online and you can access it from anywhere :happy:

VeryVenus

I highly recommend Vega Sviri and Vega Sviri Matrix (their highest end program, which allows you to sort through groups of people). For example the program will find people who's Venus falls on a person X. Mars. It's really handy. They also offer Demo Version, and it's better than anything I've tried.

I am also going to see if I can find Almagest but in English version somewhere? Their Russian version does not run on my computer.
I wish we had Almagest translated or if we had their English counterpart.
The reasons I like their software:
1.Symbolic Directions
2.Wider variety of aspects, including Karmic and Creative.
Other ground-breaking yet simple techniques.
I don't care much for graphics and looks, honestly I find black and white the best option.