Do I Have a Fear Of Commitment?

mister_hank

I am having these dreams that I am being forced against my will to enter a romantic despite my fears...and I just couldn't do it and I took my own life in the proccess.

If you don't want to believe me? Fine. But I'm being truthful to the question I'm asking right now. I already know that Pluto in Libra encourages others to commit to a romantic relationship in order to gain spiritual strength. But I just couldn't do it because I'm afraid that if I commit, I will more likely get dumped, ridiculed, or get restricted. And even with all the reassurances that I won't, the feelings of fear is still there.

The same rule implies when I go to the doctor (personal health). I just couldn't go commit. Especially when I am being prescribed to a prescription medication. Those Medications will strip/rob me of my energy and my sexuality. Even when they tell me these will help you at an specific area, I'm still afraid that I will fall victim to very bad side-effects.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope you understand what I'm going through.

Attachments

• astro_24gw_01_hankey_campbell_20141023_hp.85944.17143.jpg
    astro_24gw_01_hankey_campbell_20141023_hp.85944.17143.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 51

StillOne

I would say that a fear of commitment could definitely be shown in your birth chart mister_hank. Without going into too much analysis, I think that the Square aspect between your Sun and Uranus could bring up these feelings within you. I recommend researching this scenario! I have the conjunction in my chart and I would say I'm very freedom loving as a result.

Best wishes to you!

virgo18

Your Venus square Uranus is the typical fear of commitment aspect in men charts. But that's not all. Just look at the Moon, which in your case is the ruler of the 7th house, and the general significator of women in your life.
You have a Moon square Mars, this indicates that you sometimes feel pissed off by women in some point, or that you attract and feel attracted to women with temper (adding that Mars conjunct your descendant). The moon being in the sign of Pisces plus squaring Neptune tells that your partners can be somewhat unpredictable.
You need a non traditional relationship, that will be the best for you. Also learn, and keep in your head that a partner will not steal your freedom, and you can go whenever you want.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I've looked at your chart several times, mister hank, trying to see if I can spot something. I'm fairly new to this astrology game, and I think what I'm finding so difficult is that your chart is so much like mine. That makes it like trying to read my own chart, and it's always so hard to figure out your own!

I'm also an eighth house Leo, with the exact same degree of Capricorn rising as you, also Pluto in Libra generation. But I don't have that fear of commitment, at least not regarding romantic relationships, so there must be something else going on. And I don't think it's just a gender difference. While fear of commitment (and doctors, too!) is a stereotypically masculine thing, I suspect that women could have the same kinds of fears, just express them a little differently.

From how you describe this fear, you have your sense of self conflated with sexual freedom. In your dream, you killed yourself rather than make a romantic commitment. That suggests that your subconscious views romantic commitment, along with a commitment not to sleep with whoever else comes along, as spelling the death of your self.

Same with the medicine. You didn't say whether the medicine prescribed for you had any potential for decreased sexual functioning as a side effect, but whether it did or not, it's curious that you would fixate on that. If a medication does cause sexual side effects, it also causes other, potentially more serious side effects, but that wasn't what you were worried about. And if you reacted that way when you were prescribed something not known to affect sexual functioning at all, that further indicates how deep this is. You seem to be using sex--and sexual freedom--as a stand in for everything else. At least, your subconscious mind is.

You have a much stronger planetary concentration in the eighth house than I do. Perhaps that's why you're fixated on sexuality in this way. The eighth house is associated with sex... and death... and the occult... and shared resources (taxes and inheritances and managing other people's money are examples of shared resources, so you may have heard of the shared resources part in that context). In short, the message of the eighth house is everything that takes you just a little bit outside of the boundaries of your personality.

And we eighth house Leo suns are faced with a paradox from the moment we draw breath. The sun's placement indicates what our core personalities need to develop, and Leo is the sign of personality development in the extreme. A Leo sun needs to develop its individual personality to the absolute fullest extent. But a Leo sun in the eighth house has to develop personality to the fullest extent in a way that goes beyond the personality's boundaries.

Sexuality is another of those paradoxes. On the one hand, sexuality, and sexual acts, put you in your own power like nothing else can. On the other hand, sexuality requires merging with another. It seems that you are caught up in some shadow work here. You're stuck in the sense that you need to keep your own boundaries of individuality rigid, that to relax them just a bit--by accepting a romantic commitment to someone else or by allowing a doctor to take care of you--would destroy your sense of self. But, paradoxically, the very way you seek to preserve your freedom, preserving your sexuality, requires merging with others in order to sustain itself.

I'll close this post for now. I'm very interested to know what your thoughts in this direction are. If you post back, we can continue the dialog.

mister_hank

To Osamenor:

I've read your post and I took it into account of what you said. I'm still couldn't find another significant other to merge with. Even if I do try my best, I'm stll unsucessful. Sometimes I ask myself: "Why am I still single?" Is it because I'm different? Is it because I have an (emotional) disability?

In the end, I felt like it would be better off for me to be staying single for the rest of my natural life. Despite what my chart says, I just can't committ...

Osamenor

Staff member
To Osamenor:

I've read your post and I took it into account of what you said. I'm still couldn't find another significant other to merge with. Even if I do try my best, I'm stll unsucessful. Sometimes I ask myself: "Why am I still single?" Is it because I'm different? Is it because I have an (emotional) disability?

Not quite clear what you're saying here. Is it that you've never had a romantic relationship at all before? Or dated but only casually? Has there ever been anyone who wanted a committed relationship with you? Or has it always been a two way street, where they wouldn't commit to you either?

In any case, on a second look at your chart (and I meant to do this long ago, but got caught up in work and other time commitments!), it looks like this has everything to do with boundary issues, with building healthy boundaries between self and other, but boundaries that allow for connections. And the other in this case doesn't just mean a significant other in the romantic sense. It also means friends, family members, and the groups of people in your life, and it even goes beyond humankind. Spirit is included in this other, and pets, and any living being you have any interaction with.

Your chart is full of indicators that boundaries between self and other are problematic for you. Some people with those kinds of boundary problems have very weak boundaries and little to no sense of self. Others react by building extremely rigid boundaries, which they can't relax even when appropriate. Those people may appear to have very solid senses of self and great self sufficiency (that appearance is also classic for anyone with Capricorn rising), but with those boundary problems, the core sense of self is actually weak. Between your own description of your problem and your birth chart, it's evident that you fall into the second category.

This problem isn't confined to you in this lifetime. It extends into the karmic past. Depending on how you interpret these things, karmic past could mean past lives that you personally have lived, or it could mean unconscious beliefs and behavior patterns inherited from your ancestors--your parents all the way back to your prehistoric ancestors (or Adam and Eve if you prefer the Biblical version!).

It's possible that you had early experiences in this life that made for weak boundaries. If you grew up in a family where personal boundaries weren't respected, if you were ever abused (by family members or anyone else), or if you absorbed attitudes from the people around you that built up these problems--if, say, you got the impression that committing to a relationship would be emasculating--then we wouldn't even have to look to the unknowable past to see the boundary problems. If none of that sounds like your life story, then we must definitely be looking at past lives. Either way, you came into this life with the seeds of a personality built on dissolving the boundaries of self and a need to rebuild those boundaries and redefine your connections with others.

I'm looking at your north and south nodes here: north node in Virgo in the eighth house conjunct Saturn, south node in Pisces in the second house. South node represents your karmic past, what was left unfinished in past lives, what you came into this life to rectify. North node represents what you need to grow toward and become, and also indicates what your soul has never learned and needs to learn now. Your north node is in the same house as your sun, which is also the house that holds the great majority of your planets, so almost everything that facilitates your personal growth also takes you to the north nodes. But it's also extra challenging because you have so much energy concentrated in an area where, at the soul level, you have no previous experience.

Pisces is the transcendent sign, the mystical sign, where boundaries between self and other and the universe blur and fade. The second house is the house of personal resources, both emotional and physical. That you have the south nodes in the second house suggest that those kinds of issues are what were left unresolved when you came into this life, and having them in Pisces in the second house suggests that whatever your karmic past experiences were, they left you not knowing how to properly differentiate yourself from others. Having that issue at your core sense of self would likely make you feel very vulnerable. You must have had the sense from day one that if you didn't draw very strong boundaries for yourself, your very self would disappear, and once those boundaries were drawn, you couldn't relax them for fear that you would disappear.

Your north node takes you to the eighth house, from personal resources to shared resources. It indicates a relaxation of those too rigid boundaries, but the sign of your north node and the one planet conjuncting them indicate, paradoxically, a strengthening of personal boundaries at that core self level. Saturn is the planet of boundaries (and for us Capricorn risings, it's the chart ruler, so boundaries rule your chart!). Virgo is a nice solid earth sign, and in this case, it would indicate healthy boundaries, being able to properly differentiate yourself from other (sun, ego, in the same house, plus all those Leo planets, including one of your south node rulers, adds to the message that this is about developing your ego)... but Virgo is also the sign of growth through service to others. Service in this case means developing your own skill and sense of competence to the point that you can be useful to others, whether it's a professional skill or a more personal offering.

You also have the moon in Pisces, and it's not only a luminary, as everyone's moon is, it's extra strong because it's the only planet in that section of your chart. So Pisces energy obviously figures very prominently in your life, and it's probably what you feel the strongest. Your taking messages from your own dreams and trying to interpret them is a key example of Pisces energy working on you, and you working with it. It's no surprise that you keenly feel that fear and vulnerability.