Is it true that astrology alone can predict death?

JUPITERASC

Sorry, JA--
That's OK WB :smile:

I had to run out for a bit before my previous post was completed. I knew you'd be here, though, when I returned. ;)

I just wanted to add re: your statement that

The OP expressed no fear of death per se.
One could infer considerable anxiety about astrologers' claim to predict death, however.
On the contrary

the OP said
"the thought that astrology could possibly predict death is terrifying"

I was interested into astrology up until now when

I learned that astrology could possibly predict death.

Of course this thought is terrifying.

I deleted my own natal chart I filled out online because I didn't even want to find out if calculating death was actually true. :crying:

Has this been disproven? Do we really have free will? I don't know much about astrology and was just starting to learn but feel too uncomfortable about this
Obviously the OP fears death

But it is precisely this kind of callous statement that concerns me about a bunch of rank amateurs engaging in death prediction.

Believe me, I've done many chart readings for people who are sick with worry about their own or a family member's future in some way.
If you want to chart-read for people who are feeling frightened or vulnerable,
you don't tell them that their troubled emotional state is not your problem, and then dish out a big helping of bad news.
You don't lie to such people if you don't think astrology will magically make their concerns go away.
You do approach them with as much sensitivity as you can muster.
nevertheless, ours is an amateur astrological forum
and is therefore populated by many amateurs
and
there are many similar forums
with "rank amateurs" as you refer to them, making predictions on any and every topic
yet you object solely to predictions regarding death

JA, you know I know all of this already.
So why bother to post it?
I want to see you show us how it's done, indicating how a hierarchical disaster chart correlates with individual death signatures.
If you know all of this already
then you show how its done

Given that you've tried as hard as you could to confirm the OPer's worst concerns about astrology,
it's not surprising that she hasn't posted up to now.
The OP is most likely reading the various responses

waybread

junoisuppose, marinka, and oddity:

Let me state at the outset that I have no concern about discussing death and dying as a kind of general chat topic.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of my brother's death. My sister-in-law died within the past year. My son recently spent 10 days away from home and off work to be with his best friend from college as the friend died from cancer in home hospice care. I live in a rural community with many seniors. Demography being what it is, I have lost track of how many neighbours and friends have died since we moved here 8 years ago, but I think it's around 10. I've also seen the impact of these deaths on the surviving spouse. I'm 66 and my husband is 76. He's already passed the average life expectancy for his age cohort.

So death as a topic of conversation isn't something I "sweep under the carpet." It's around. Trust me, old age isn't for sissies.

What I do find troubling is amateur astrologers' insistence that death prediction can be done accurately in sufficient cases to make it a legitimate branch of astrology today, and the implication that astrological death prediction is a good idea.

I wonder how many people on this thread who support astrological death prediction have a strong 8th house. I would never argue that they shouldn't think about death in some way. They must. But I don't think they are well served by an insistence upon the rightness of astrological death prediction. Look, with Pluto opposite sun and my natal NN in the 8th and four of my progressed planets in the 8th (including my sun) for years, I should be really into this, no? But I'm not. I have other outlets for my 8th house, thank you very much.

If we compare your posts, do you see the problem? You're all over the map in terms of techniques that "work." And if they worked once on grandpa's chart, where is the evidence that these same techniques will work again? Marinka, for how many people do we have both accurate natal charts, as well as accurate charts for the native's nearest and dearest?

I've read that quincunxes typically show up in family members' charts when a loved one dies. But how many quincunxes routinely show up in our lives without notice?

Pluto isn't the planet of literal death. Traditional astrologers prognosticating when life expectancies were very low did all kinds of death prediction without it. Pluto's deaths" are metaphorical. If you find an active Pluto at the time of someone's death, look at all of the charts when Pluto had the same signature and nothing happened.

And the same goes for horary. Ruler of the first or other quesited clocking the ruler of the 8th and no strictures or considerations, right?

Look, if this really, really works, go talk to the actuarial scientists and folks in the health and life insurance business. They'd love to hear about it. You would revolutionize these insurance industries, and probably bring down insurance rates all around.

Oh, and what house system do you use, whether for nativities or horary charts? Change the house system and you could easily change the 8th house cusp,arriving at a different answer.

Oddity, I greatly appreciate the soul-searching that went into your post about the research limits and needs in traditional astrology. I appreciate that modern astrology was primarily designed for character analysis. However, amongst some practitioners there is considerable interest in predictive work, notably when elections roll around.

I do feel that trads are prone to over-estimate traditional astrology's accuracy. Some of this affirmation is based upon secondary sources or hearsay, unfortunately. The history of astrology, in contrast, reveals a lot of bloopers. The self-reporting astrologers of the past whose works have survived don't report their failures. This doesn't mean they didn't have them. One thing the historical authors do report on is how all of the bad astrologers in their vicinity were giving the field a bad name. Funny thing is, the bad astrologers are around today, as well; and some of them are OK with scaring the bejeesus out of people.

If we could ferret out the accurate predictions and techniques of the past and replicate them with a large-scale study, that would be something, yet traditional astrologers seem reluctant to undertake this sort of work, so far as I can tell. Maybe it's because, as you suggest, the calculations are exceedingly time consuming.

Part of the problem with methods based on nativities today is just that the average life expectancies today are so much higher in most westernized nations. I recently came across a demographic new article that said that women in my cohort today can expect to live into our early 80s. Given that I'm a boomer, that's a few 10s of millions of us, and we aren't all going to have the same traditional signifiers, believe me.

There is another article out saying that white Americans in the 45-54 age bracket, with a high school diploma or less, now have a mortality spike due to drug overdoses, alcoholism, suicide, and liver disease. How one would pick up a 10-year cohort using just traditional planets I can't imagine.

Then what about entire regions in southern Africa ravaged by HIV-AIDS? They don't all die at once, but their life expectancies have declined due to an epidemic. For that matter, who predicted the Black Death (bubonic plague)?

There are some demographic realities out there now that trads might address to bolster their affirmation of traditional astrology's accuracy.

Last edited:

Oddity

Waybread, the way you write your posts gives an unsaid assumption that every astrologer who believes death can be predicted - predicts death routinely. Probably gruesome and imminent death, and likely within the first five minutes of seeing a new client.

That doesn't happen. It just doesn't. Will some charlatan do it? Probably, but they're not practising astrology, they're practising scamming, or maybe power-tripping.

Do we have enough evidence from the past and charts done since the traditional revival to make a good case that death prediction can be accurate? Yes. We do. As I've also mentioned, it's difficult, and as I mentioned in a different post, most of what you term 'death predictions' are actually 'trying to keep you alive as long as possible' predictions. You see something (several somethings) looking pretty dodgy in a chart, and you know something could happen. So you caution your client to take care about whatever situation. Sort of like a doctor seeing that both your parents and all your siblings have diabetes might suggest some dietary cautions.

There are times when it is appropriate to talk about actual death and death predictions (and no, I don't mean 'it is your fate to die of gunshot wound by your jealous ex-lover next Tuesday evening at 9 pm!').

It doesn't work that way. But people get injured, people get old, people get sick, and it is certainly legitimate to have a rough timeline to sort out your affairs, go to see your ailing parents, and what-not - if you ask to know about those things. If you don't, then the astrologer has no business bringing them up first.

It is not something to be approached insensitively, or lightly, or for someone you barely know on an internet forum.

With all that, I can only control what I do and how I treat people in my practice. All you can do is to control how you act, and how you treat your clients. I can understand a small bit of your concern, but you seem to be coming to this like a debunker who knows nothing about astrology at all and hates it anyway - 'oh yes, they'll say and do anything to terrify people to part them with their money!'

And I know you know better than that, or at least I hope you do.

Marinka

junoisuppose, marinka, and oddity:

If we compare your posts, do you see the problem? You're all over the map in terms of techniques that "work." And if they worked once on grandpa's chart, where is the evidence that these same techniques will work again? Marinka, for how many people do we have both accurate natal charts, as well as accurate charts for the native's nearest and dearest?

I cannot speak for others but, my methods are very procedural based on research - there are specific items that I look for in a step-by-step fashion. Based on my findings, I can extrapolate probabilities. My procedures have not just worked on 1 chart - they have worked on many. The data I interpret from charts is stored in databases and it is not just on death, it covers many areas.

waybread

Waybread, the way you write your posts gives an unsaid assumption that every astrologer who believes death can be predicted - predicts death routinely. Probably gruesome and imminent death, and likely within the first five minutes of seeing a new client.

Please do not spin what I write. Nothing in my posts implies such an unwarranted assumption on your part.

Incidentally death prediction is forbidden on the Astrodienst forum. Many professional astrologers belong to astrological associations with codes of ethics that expressly prohibit their members from frightening their clients or making unequivocal forecasts for the future.

https://geocosmic.org/about-ncgr/code-of-ethics/ (See secs. A.2 and A.4.a, C.4.a, C.5.d)

http://www.isarastrology.com/images/EthicsV5.pdf (See secs. A.2, A.9.b, A.9.d, D.3b,

From ISAR's sec. B.2.d:

"Astrologers are mindful of the limitations of​
predictive accuracy and avoid the use of universal​
qualifiers such as​
every, always, never, for certain,

any, no one​
, or other such blanket statements that

imply definite, concrete outcomes. Clients are​
informed that it is impossible for astrology to be​
absolutely certain about personality profiles or future​
events
."

I. 3.c: "
Horary astrologers are extra cautious about questions​
that pertain to life and death and are aware that the​
answers they provide may have an affect on the​
outcome in question. If at all possible, such questions​
are not accepted."

Self-fulfilling prophesies are a real danger of predictive work: refer to Steve Judd's video (linked above) and the woman who was told she would die of fire.

From Australia: http://www.faainc.org.au/code-of-ethics/
"No member of a member association will claim to be infallible in the prediction of particular events using astrology or to be a fortune- teller."

So here's the problem, Oddity. A death prediction doesn't work in generalities. It has a major ethical dimension. It has an enormous potential to frighten clients, or to become a self-fulfilling prophecy in some way. People who consult an astrologer may be extremely fragile emotionally. We see posters on this forum who are terrified about some transit or other. The ethics get really muddy in the case of 3rd party questions. You don't know whether the querent has power of attorney over granny's finances, including her credit card.

That doesn't happen. It just doesn't. Will some charlatan do it? Probably, but they're not practising astrology, they're practising scamming, or maybe power-tripping.

As Steve Judd pointed out, the charlatans are power-tripping, and when they call themselves astrologers they give the legitimate astrologers a bad name.

Do we have enough evidence from the past and charts done since the traditional revival to make a good case that death prediction can be accurate? Yes. We do.

Seriously? I've read this claim, but nobody seems to offer hard evidence in support of it. Possibly you're familiar with Jonathan Swift (aka Jonathan Swift) and British astrologer John Partridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Bickerstaff

More historical examples provided upon request.

But even if I somehow took your point about historical examples for the sake of this debate, we don't have the same demographics today in most of the developed world that obtained prior to the 19th century. The life expectancy in Japan is over 80. Life expectancy means that half of the people born at the same time (by year or decade) will still be alive at the forecast age. Astrologically this just doesn't work out, no matter what methods were used in traditional astrology's past.

As I've also mentioned, it's difficult, and as I mentioned in a different post, most of what you term 'death predictions' are actually 'trying to keep you alive as long as possible' predictions. You see something (several somethings) looking pretty dodgy in a chart, and you know something could happen. So you caution your client to take care about whatever situation. Sort of like a doctor seeing that both your parents and all your siblings have diabetes might suggest some dietary cautions.

Shall I take it that you dismiss modern methods for death prediction? That's at least something contra the folks who think a moon-Pluto hit and a couple of quincunxes tells the story. I have no problem with cautions about sensitive times that are not death predictions.

There are times when it is appropriate to talk about actual death and death predictions (and no, I don't mean 'it is your fate to die of gunshot wound by your jealous ex-lover next Tuesday evening at 9 pm!').

It doesn't work that way. But people get injured, people get old, people get sick, and it is certainly legitimate to have a rough timeline to sort out your affairs, go to see your ailing parents, and what-not - if you ask to know about those things. If you don't, then the astrologer has no business bringing them up first.

It is not legitimate to play God. Astrology does not confer omniscience. Note how the NCGR warns astrologers against definite time-based predictions precisely because they could be mistaken.

Look, Oddity. Regardless of our life expectancies, you or I could die at any moment. Ailing parents could die at any moment. If our parents are living and not ailing now, they could phone up tomorrow with bad news from their medical tests or get hit by a bus.

So don't wait for an astrological forecast. Get your financial and personal matters sorted out now. Phone up Mom tonight and tell her you love her. It is the height of cynicism-- or gullibility-- to have one's life in disarray, imagining that a length-of-life forecast gives you sufficient time in the future to fix everything and visit ailing parents that were lonely for years.

It is not something to be approached insensitively, or lightly, or for someone you barely know on an internet forum.

Agreed.

With all that, I can only control what I do and how I treat people in my practice. All you can do is to control how you act, and how you treat your clients. I can understand a small bit of your concern, but you seem to be coming to this like a debunker who knows nothing about astrology at all and hates it anyway - 'oh yes, they'll say and do anything to terrify people to part them with their money!'

I am a committed amateur, Oddity. I have no clients and have never accepted a penny for my work, although I have been offered payment for some of my readings. I read a lot of charts for people on line. I've been seriously studying astrology for over 25 years, including its history and different branches. I have a personal astrological library of over 150 books and articles.

Apparently you just cannot help spinning and misrepresenting my actual posts, in the mistaken belief that this gives you some kind of leg-up in a debate. Perhaps you could consider what in your horoscope leads you to misrepresent me so blatantly.

unique_astrology

Pluto has traveled almost 160 degrees through my chart and has conjoined, opposed or squared every point in my chart and while that was going on Saturn was making 2 trips through it and is now more than half way finished on its 3rd trip through. Uranus has 3 more planets to transit to complete its trip around my chart, the 3rd one is natal Uranus.

To help me fill the days, I took up smoking for 55 years and finished that habit with a 2 pack a day habit for the last 10 years. Not intending to stop, I did on January 28th, 2013, almost 3 years ago. So much for unlucky 13!

The only medication I have is a partial bottle of Aspirin with an expiration date of Oct 2010 (yes, that was 5 years ago).

Is the glass half empty or half full? Am I being punished or blessed? Depends on my mood. Most of he time I am satisfied with my personal situation and happy.

Most elevated planet - Neptune in the 10th. Mars in the 1st. Saturn square to Pluto exact to the minute in true body position (that's right ascension). Sun opposite Pluto and square Saturn both by 0 degrees, 52 minutes.

Que sera, sera.

Oddity

To Waybread:

I suppose I could also ask what it is in your chart (or your personality) that causes you to so misrepresent me and my motivations in your posts, but there's really no point to making it that personal. We've done it before, it just gets ugly, and nobody really learns anything about astrology from it.

If you believe astrologers play god by making predictions, then make no predictions. I don't see it as playing god, obviously, or I wouldn't be doing it.

If you asked any of my clients, you would hear that I almost always start out with a small lecture to the effect of: 'Astrologers can be wrong. I can be wrong. But for all that, astrology is a valuable form of counsel, and one that is very useful. Were it not, I wouldn't do it, but that does not mean that there are no other valid forms of counsel.'

But from what you write above, and I agree - any of us could die any time. You don't believe prediction of that is possible. I do. So for you the obvious answer is to predict nothing. It isn't the answer for me, though I will reiterate that I do not make death predictions lightly, or even for most clients. And not for strangers on forums. Also - death prediction - NOT a hot topic in 99% of consultations. But death is part of life, and once in a while it does come up.

If you put the kind of faith you seem to into statistics for cohorts, not only astrological prediction, but astrology itself, becomes meaningless. A hierarchy of charts is one thing - because there's still an individual's chart in there, and that chart does count for something. It means that there's a soul in that body that creates an individual person, someone unique, not a statistical probability. And natal and horary astrology deal with the individual.

If you don't have some kind of belief in that, then all you can do is to use the rubric of astrology to dole out kitchen-table advice, or whatever philosophical or ideological platform you happen to promote. That isn't astrology. It's not what people come to me for, they have friends and relatives they can talk to for that. They come to me because they want their charts read.

If you truly believe predictive astrology is so wrong, evil, almost invariably incorrect, and damaging to people, perhaps your time might be better spent getting those professional associations you're so fond of quoting to attempt to outlaw astrological prediction.

Last edited:

waybread

To Waybread:

If you believe astrologers play god by making predictions, then make no predictions. I don't see it as playing god, obviously, or I wouldn't be doing it.

Oddity, this is just a massive "slippery slope" fallacy http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html that bears no relation to what I've posted. Death prediction, no. Bad idea. I do predictive work on other topics from time to time, but my approach is to leave the predictions qualified and open-minded. You might wish to review the Steve Judd video on this point.

If you asked any of my clients, you would hear that I almost always start out with a small lecture to the effect of: 'Astrologers can be wrong. I can be wrong. But for all that, astrology is a valuable form of counsel, and one that is very useful. Were it not, I wouldn't do it, but that does not mean that there are no other valid forms of counsel.'

Your humility with your clients is really, really sound. I would go further, were I to prep a client, and say that each planet, sign, and house has multiple meanings, and we have some flexibility as to how they manifest. I usually qualify my chart readings with words like "probably."

I am puzzled, though Oddity, that if traditional chart readings are as time-consuming as you've previously suggested, how you manage to sustain a viable practice.
[
But from what you write above, and I agree - any of us could die any time.

Bingo.

You don't believe prediction of that is possible. I do. So for you the obvious answer is to predict nothing. It isn't the answer for me, though I will reiterate that I do not make death predictions lightly, or even for most clients. And not for strangers on forums. Also - death prediction - NOT a hot topic in 99% of consultations. But death is part of life, and once in a while it does come up.

Major slippery slope alert! If you're a skier, this one's a double black diamond. Wow. Where did I post that I don't believe prediction-- of any description-- is possible? Possibly you never bothered to inquire what I actually think about prediction. Let me know when you'd prefer my own words vs. your mistaken surmises.

And let's go further. The debate so far has largely centered on whether accurate death prediction is possible. Let's just suppose for the sake of argument that it is possible. This isn't the same as saying that it is ethical to go ahead and do it. (And before you jump all over me, I am not saying that you are unethical. Certainly there are situations where it is highly unethical.)

If you put the kind of faith you seem to into statistics for cohorts, not only astrological prediction, but astrology itself, becomes meaningless.

Seriously? The life expectancy data come from credible organizations like national census bureaus and the United Nations. Demography has been a respected field for over a century. (Usually but not always a branch of sociology.) Of course, if a bomb or tsunami unexpectedly flattens a small country, their life expectancies get recalculated. What could you possibly see in basic demography that makes astrology meaningless?

A hierarchy of charts is one thing - because there's still an individual's chart in there, and that chart does count for something. It means that there's a soul in that body that creates an individual person, someone unique, not a statistical probability. And natal and horary astrology deal with the individual.

Well, have you got a good hierarchy of charts for demonstration purposes?

I wonder what you make of mundane astrology! Are you OK with national charts and political topics?

My dear Oddity, nothing in demography discredits the notion of people as unique individuals or embodied souls. Demography merely deals with individuals in the aggregate. You discuss individuals in the aggregate all of the time. "Americans." "Children." "Women." "Doctors." And so on. Call it a different level of focus or scale. We can talk at the scale of the individual, the family, the neighbourhood, the city, and so on up the ladder. None of this confounds your spiritual beliefs.

If you don't have some kind of belief in that, then all you can do is to use the rubric of astrology to dole out kitchen-table advice, or whatever philosophical or ideological platform you happen to promote. That isn't astrology. It's not what people come to me for, they have friends and relatives they can talk to for that. They come to me because they want their charts read.

Oddity, why don't you ask me first whether or not I believe in souls, before shooting from the lip? Yes, I believe in souls, and have said so on this forum. Surely you have come across some of my chart readings for people on this forum.

If you truly believe predictive astrology is so wrong, evil, almost invariably incorrect, and damaging to people, perhaps your time might be better spent getting those professional associations you're so fond of quoting to attempt to outlaw astrological prediction.

There you go again, Oddity. What a long, slick slippery slope you've got here! I can only imagine that you have some really unpleasant mental image of who I truly am behind my posts, such that your over-the-top surmises are consistent with your derogatory image.

I expect better from a credible professional.

I would actually appreciate a sensible conversation with you occasionally, due to your astrological knowledge, but your off-target pot shots appear calculated to prevent this from happening.

muchacho

How many traditional astrologers were practising during Carter's era? Maybe there were a few doing astrology á la Morin, because his popularity never quite died out on the continent, but I'm willing to bet **** few of even those folks were doing mundane.

There did seem to be one French astrologer who successfully predicted World War II, though I don't know what methods he was using - and his article was turned down by an astrological magazine because they deemed it too depressing. I think you can find the story at skyscript, it's been a long time since I read it, so I don't recall the precise details.

I know you think we 'trads' think that all ancient and medieval astrological techniques are tried, tested, and true, but that is emphatically not the case.

Bear in mind that in ancient and medieval times there was a lot of good predictive mundane (astrology's association with radical politics, especially during the English Civil War, was a big, big part of its death knell). But the reason for the good is that those guys were working for the royals, it was their full-time job to do this, it wasn't something they moonlighted at.

Some of the methods we've translated work well. More of them may work, but we've hardly done in-depth testing of all of them. The truth of the matter is that mundane astrology is at the very top of the astrological hierarchy, devillishly difficult to practise because it requires many charts, and while we know some things that work well, we simply do not know yet all of what works most efficaciously. That's going to take time.

I've managed to make a total of one mundane prediction, and it wasn't that big and only required five charts (an attempted train bombing in my city). Mundane is hard work and requires more energy than I usually have. I don't do a lot of it. Even most healthy astrologers don't do a lot of it. If you want to give good predictions (and I'm going to assume that most responsible astrologers, whether they be traditional, modern, or somewhere in between, don't want to go off half-cocked if they're predicting events with wide-spread consequences), it takes a lot of study. A lot. And since astrology seldom pays the bills, we don't see as much mundane as we'd like to. I do believe it will come, but I don't think we're there yet.

Sue Ward did an excellent series on economics based on the Great Conjunction, which has been proving out pretty accurately, but I don't believe it's posted in any non-copyrighted material.

Even Charles Carter, a modern I have quite a bit of respect for because he did real research, found himself a bit flummoxed over things like deaths in mass disasters.

Myself, I tend to agree with ibn Ezra's hierarchy of charts, which makes logical sense, at the very least. I've also seen some smaller studies in the modern day (I would hate to say it's iron-clad, because I'd like to see a few hundred more cases) that an angular Jupiter, in 10 especially, seems to be a mark of survivors of mass disaster. Obviously that wouldn't account for everyone, but again - it's one thing that would make sense.

As for the original topic, can astrology predict death? Yes, it can, ancient and medieval astrology was purpose-built as a form of divination, in other words, understanding the will of God or the Gods, by seeing into the future.

That in no way implies that astrology is easy, or that prediction is easy. It's not. But it's part of the job description. Irresponsible predictions of death are NOT part of the job description, not for astrologers, or doctors, or anybody else.

Modern astrology, on the other hand, was purpose-built to do character analysis, and therefore is not in a great position to predict anything.

So it's all going to depend on what kind of astrology you choose to practise.
I don't think so. It all depends on how much in charge of your own life you feel which then determines what astrology you choose to practice.

Bunraku

Why not have a non-astrologer do JA's hyleg and alcocoden (spelling?) method? That way, he would have no ethical qualms and biases like an astrologer would. :p

My chart is ready for testing for anyone who asks