Has there been any recent developments in modern?

Bunraku

So far, most modern texts are from like the 70s 80s and the ones that are published today seems to be rehash of the works written from back then.

Any new and exciting authors or works out there?

waybread

Yes, I can think of several areas.

1. Integrating the modern outer planets and sensitive points. See, for example, Henry Seltzer's 2015 book on Eris, The Tenth Planet; and Philip Sedgwick's website http://www.philipsedgwick.com/

2. Integrating western modern and traditional astrology. See, for example, Demetra George, 2008, Astrology and the Authentic Self.

3. Evolutionary astrology. Not my cup of tea, but see: Steven Forrest,The Book of Neptune. This type of astrology builds on the work of Dane Rudhyar and the theosophists, in seeing astrology as a tool for self-improvement.

See also the outlets for recent astrological research, like the magazine The Mountain Astrologer, and the National Center for Geocosmic Research.

Last edited:

Inline

.......Traditional astrological texts are well worth reading for modernist astrologers particularly in order to check that their 'new idea' is not in fact ancient.

Something i've noticed in recent years, is the development of a rebirth in interest around Traditional themes (Horary, Natal and Electional) being integrated together to create a new form of interpretation....Forensic and Sports Astrology, for example.

waybread

Bunraku, I thought of a 4th area, which is the development of new house systems. There a lot of these on the Astrodienst "free charts" page such as Bob Makransky's Sunshine house system.

Another area would be the development of astrological software. Some trads do this, as well, but my sense is that software development is a majority-modern astrology undertaking.

This has enabled modern enterprises like looking at synastry and composite charts for 3 or more people, such as a family.

See indexes to issues of The Mountain Astrologer for articles that are harder to classify as trends. http://mountainastrologer.com/tma/

aldebaran

In terms of new astrological knowledge, the mention of recent discovery of thousands of Asteroids is a must. The insight they give on charts is amazing.

There's a Thomas Mann tale about a "spiritual session" he visited, and how it looked awful for germans of his time, so acquainted with complex and hard-working metaphysics like "the world as will and representation" to conceive that metaphysics could be researched in such "simple" conditions. Nonetheless, once those sessions were a fact, why would we deny it? Something similar seems to happen about Asteroids and the enormous complexity of Astrology.

wilsontc

Staff member
back to the topic, to All

All,

Please stay on topic. This discussion is about whether there have been any significant developments in modern astrology from 1990 on. If you want to discuss traditional astrology or research methods, find a different Forum.

Back on topic,

Tim

Humanitarian

back to the topic, to All

All,

Please stay on topic. This discussion is about whether there have been any significant developments in modern astrology from 1990 on. If you want to discuss traditional astrology or research methods, find a different Forum.

Back on topic,

Tim
There are more dwarf planets discovered from 1990 to now, and we have dwarf planets added to the dictionary of modern astrology, not like before 1990 when it was only Ceres and other asteroids in Asteroid Belt

Last edited:

david starling

The two that have really caught on since 1990 are Chiron and BML. There's also much more interest in the star positions in the tropical zodiac. The two that stand out are Regulus, which changed position from tropical Leo to Virgo in 2012, and Algol, in late tropical Taurus.

On the downside, interest in the astrological Ages has dwindled in the astrological community since 1990. The early prophesy about an amazing new Age that would change everything for the better was actually about the relatively far future, and ignored the "birth pangs" that would precede it. It was premature, and unrealistic.

david starling

My own discovery of tropical astrological Ages to accompany the modern concept of sidereal Ages is very new to Mod astrology. (Anything after 1700 is considered "Modern", and the sidereal Ages first came into view around 1900.)

Last edited:

david starling

This isn't about me at all. It's about a contribution to Modern astrology's body of knowledge. These tropical Ages have a huge advantage over the sidereal Ages for one reason - they can be delineated using astronomical calculations, with universal agreement on when the tropical Ages begin and end. And the reason for THAT is, the universal agreement on where the tropical sign-boundaries are located. Whereas, the sidereal sign-boundary locations are open to significant differences amounting to as much as 4 degrees.

When it comes to start-years for the sidereal Ages, an even 1 degree difference in sign-location changes the start-years for the sidereal Ages by 71.6 years!

Both types of Ages are occurring simultaneously on different wavelengths, and should both be considered as vitality important, imo.

Last edited:

david starling

This isn't about me at all. It's about a contribution to Modern astrology's body of knowledge. These tropical Ages have a huge advantage over the sidereal Ages for one reason - they can be delineated using astronomical calculations, with universal agreement on when the tropical Ages begin and end. And the reason for THAT is, the universal agreement on where the tropical sign-boundaries are located. Whereas, the sidereal sign-boundary locations are open to significant differences amounting to as much as 6 degrees.

When it comes to start-years for the sidereal Ages, an even 1 degree difference in sign-location changes the start-years for the sidereal Ages by 71.6 years!

Both types of Ages are occurring simultaneously on different wavelengths, and should both be considered as vitality important, imo.

Of course, the focus is on one Age in particular, the Age of Aquarius. By coincidence, both tropical and sidereal have an Age of Aquarius in the same basic timeframe. The sidereal Ages are retrograde, so the sidereal Age of Pisces precedes the sidereal Age of Aquarius, with the Modern Age-sign ruler Neptune.

However, the tropical Ages are direct, so the tropical Age of Aquarius is preceded by the tropical Age of Capricorn, with Saturn as Age-sign ruler. Quite a difference! And, they're new. So new, I still haven't written a book about them.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to help, but it seems like your question is a bit unclear. Could you please provide more context or specify the topic you're referring to when you mention "modern"? This could refer to various fields such as technology, art, architecture, or even societal changes. The more details you provide, the better I can assist you with an accurate answer.

david starling

I'd be happy to help, but it seems like your question is a bit unclear. Could you please provide more context or specify the topic you're referring to when you mention "modern"? This could refer to various fields such as technology, art, architecture, or even societal changes. The more details you provide, the better I can assist you with an accurate answer.

I'm not the OP, but....my interpretation is that it is about the designation of "Modern" astrology as distinct from "Traditional" (Mod versus Trad) astrology, beginning with the astrological use of the "outermosts" beyond Saturn, in addition to asteroids unknown to "the ancients", Sabian Symbols, and any new ideas that occurred after 1700 a.d. in Western astrology SPECIFICALLY since the 1990s.

That includes the tropical precessional Ages I've just been describing, which occur along with the ancient Yugas.

Last edited:

david starling

Yes, I can think of several areas.

1. Integrating the modern outer planets and sensitive points. See, for example, Henry Seltzer's 2015 book on Eris, The Tenth Planet; and Philip Sedgwick's website http://www.philipsedgwick.com/

2. Integrating western modern and traditional astrology. See, for example, Demetra George, 2008, Astrology and the Authentic Self.

3. Evolutionary astrology. Not my cup of tea, but see: Steven Forrest,The Book of Neptune. This type of astrology builds on the work of Dane Rudhyar and the theosophists, in seeing astrology as a tool for self-improvement.

See also the outlets for recent astrological research, like the magazine The Mountain Astrologer, and the National Center for Geocosmic Research.

^Here's a good description of some of what the topic of this thread is referring to in the field of astrology.

Last edited: