Moon as Ruler of Virgo?

Senecar

I came across Esoteric Astrology recently, and in there Moon is the Ruler of Virgo.

Virgo's ruler is Mercury traditionally. But Moon? as Ruler of Virgo? do not hit me very well.

Anyone read Esoteric Astrology? Could the alternative rulership be explained?

http://www.mermaid-uk.net/Esotericrulerships.htm

CapAquaPis

The Moon might affect natal charts for Virgos, just as it does for Cancers (the Moon rules Cancer). Virgo is the sign depicted as the maiden or the mother. The Moon is the feminine "planet" in astrology related to matters in women, maternity and female health.

Senecar

The Moon might affect natal charts for Virgos, just as it does for Cancers (the Moon rules Cancer). Virgo is the sign depicted as the maiden or the mother. The Moon is the feminine "planet" in astrology related to matters in women, maternity and female health.

That's cool. I used to link Virgo to virgin, and also critical fussy personality.
My conception of Virgo is now expanded.

david starling

In my Modern branch, Zeus/Jupiter is the Native-ruler of Virgo, and Co-ruler of Sagittarius along with (Apollo's) Ascendant. Virgo, in this view, is represented by the Virgin-goddess Athena/Minerva, wise in both the art of peace and the art of war. Protectress of the city-state, she stepped fully grown from the head of Zeus/Jupiter, and was the only one he trusted to wield his thunder-bolts and carry his shield in battle. The Earth-signs involve the 3 realms of Earth-- Land, Sea, and Sky. The solid, land-dwelling ox, or bull, for Taurus; the Seagoat for Capricorn; and the winged-Maiden for Virgo. So, Virgo is the Sky-sign, which is in the realm of Air, or Thought. And, her father Zeus/Jupiter, is the Sky-ruler. Mercury functions as "Regulator" for Virgo, keeping it moving, and is Native-ruler of Gemini as the Sign of the Wind. The Virgin Moon-goddess, Artemis/Diana, connects to Virgo as well, but not as a ruler. (All of this is part of a pattern on my Modern branch! :biggrin:) So according to this pattern, meek, modest Virgo is a LOT more powerful than it looks!

Last edited:

david starling

The patterns I used required 12 "Native-rulers", and I included the Ascendant, with Apollo, god of Sunrise, as archetype (which ended up Native-ruler of Sagittarius, which is Regulated by Jupiter); and, the Age Trident with Gaia (which is Native-ruler of Taurus, with Taurus in Service to Venus, Native-ruler of Libra). Each Sign has a "Regulator", a "Motivator", and is "in Service" to another Sign's Native-ruler, in a regular pattern. The only real surprise for me, since the patterns basically show conventional Modern results, was Jupiter as Native-ruler of Virgo. I immediately saw that it worked IF Virgo is represented by Athena/Minerva. There's no disputing that Athena was the foremost "Virgin goddess" of Ancient Greece, or that she was a sky-goddess, and was about nurturing and protecting the populace through her wisdom. But she wasn't as close-up and personal as :cancer:, ruled by the Moon. Goddess of Wisdom, not of emotion. And, yes, Athena was both an agricultural and fertility goddess!

Last edited:

Senecar

In my Modern branch, Zeus/Jupiter is the Native-ruler of Virgo, and Co-ruler of Sagittarius along with (Apollo's) Ascendant.

The Virgin Moon-goddess, Artemis/Diana, connects to Virgo as well, but not as a ruler. (All of this is part of a pattern on my Modern branch! :biggrin:) So according to this pattern, meek, modest Virgo is a LOT more powerful than it looks!

When you say "my Modern branch .." what does it mean?

Last edited:

david starling

Is it from the Greek Mythology, or some other origin? When you say "my Modern branch .." what does it mean?

I use the metaphor of a tree, with Traditional Astrology at the roots, compact and self-contained; Modern Astrology has branched out in different directions, and is in a synergistic relationship with Traditional. Some prefer the roots, some choose a Modern branch which is well-known and conventional, but others, like myself, have developed their own branch. I use conventional Greek "mythology" in accordance with my somewhat unusual Astrological Sign/Rulership configuration. By adding the Ascendant, which fits Apollo, the God of Sunrise, and Gaia's Trident, which can tell us the Ages in the Tropical Zodiac, there can be one "Native-ruler" for each Sign. I've had to develop names for how the Signs and Rulers interrelate, and the end result is pretty conventional. Aquarius isn't ruled by Saturn though, in any way. And Virgo is paired with Jupiter (but still Regulated by Mercury). It does work for me, but it's too unconventional to find favor with other Modern Astrologers. So, I mostly keep it to myself. I do use it for reading Charts, and those I read for have given me generally good feedback. I'm the only Astrologer I know of who has a method for determining the Tropical Ages, and includes the Age-Indicator in the Chart; or, who uses the Ascendant as a Sign-ruler. Most of the Signs are interpreted conventionally, and have conventional Modern-rulership, especially considering the several ways a Sign can be connected to a "ruler". Taurus, for example, is "in Service" to Venus, as is Scorpio to Mars--a type of Rulership. Sagittarius, Mutable-Fire, is "Regulated" by Jupiter, and is in such need of regulation, I consider Jupiter to rise to the level of "Co-ruler" in that case. Without graphics, which I hope to learn, it sounds complicated. But it's easy once you see the pattern.

Last edited:

Senecar

I use the metaphor of a tree, with Traditional Astrology at the roots, compact and self-contained;
I consider Jupiter to rise to the level of "Co-ruler" in that case. Without graphics, which I hope to learn, it sounds complicated. But it's easy once you see the pattern.

It sounds confusing, but at the same time, seem makes sense.
If you have a system that works for you, that would be the best way.

I don't, hence trying to read and learn from the traditional and modern knowledge, trying conflate, find out and choose which system works better for which problems, then one day maybe I could have my own working system. :)

RaRohini

Hi !
I dont know about Esoteric Astrology,but Moon can be the ruler of one of the stars in Virgo in Vedic and that is Hasta the golden hand ( degree 10 to 23 Virgo).
It means that there is direct connect between the mind(mercury) and heart(moon) Strong craving can become reality. The Gayatri Mantra is a very useful chant for such people. They should focus on aquiring knowledge not wealth.( Brahmin)

david starling

It sounds confusing, but at the same time, seem makes sense.
If you have a system that works for you, that would be the best way.

I don't, hence trying to read and learn from the traditional and modern knowledge, trying conflate, find out and choose which system works better for which problems, then one day maybe I could have my own working system. :)

For me, it began by theorizing why the Traditional rulerships were chosen in the first place, before Ptolemy. The Cardinal-signs were used to position the Tropical Zodiac, and there's a discernable positional relationship between Venus and Mars relative to the Earth that fits the "Equinoctial" (which I labeled "equivalent") Signs--equivalent and opposite; and, between the Moon and Saturn that fits the "Solstitial" (which I labeled as "farthest limited distance apart") Signs. That gave me the Cardinal rulerships I use: :moon:/:cancer:, :venus:/:libra:, :mars:/:aries:, and :saturn:/:capricorn:. Then I rated the Fixed and Mutable Signs, including their Elements, for a "coefficient of change". Taurus, Fixed-Earth, scored lowest, and Sagittarius, Mutable-Fire, the highest. The Ascendant (with Apollo for its archetype) is the fastest of the 12 rulers I use, and the Age Trident (Earth's Ages, so, Gaia the Earth goddess) is slowest. That gives the Ascendant rulership of Sagittarius, and the Age-Indicator rulership of Taurus. I matched the coefficient of change for the Signs to the rate of movement of the Sun and Planets (except for the Planets already ruling the Cardinals, which were already assigned). That gave Scorpio to Pluto, Pisces to Neptune, Aquarius to :uranus:, Virgo to Jupiter, Leo to the Sun, and Gemini to Mercury. I was surprised by the Jupiter/Virgo matchup, because the others were what I expected from the coefficients. That's when I realized the Athena/Minerva connection to the Sign Virgo. Quite different from how Virgo is usually depicted, but on solid footing regarding the Ancient-Greek religion.
Another interesting difference: This "coefficient of change" based on the Modalities and Elements of the Signs reveals Pisces to be less changeable than any of the Fixed and Mutables except for Taurus and Scorpio! Pisces APPEARS to give way to avoid conflict, but secretly holds to its position quite stubbornly. :ninja:

Last edited: