Juno the mistress?

Claire19

Does anyone have an idea about Juno. Is she goddess of uncommitted sex. The mistress or courtesan. I have it conjunct Jupiter sextile Sun and find that when travelling and in contact with foreigners I have many opportunities for affairs or is that I am more open to them and especially with those whom I have the Juno connection to their personal planets.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Ang

I thought Juno was almost precisely the opposite - the Wife, faithful to a fault. She's about commitment type relationships.

The attitude you describe sound like it's coming from your Jupiter, not your Juno. Juno conjunct Jupiter can mean you or your partner in any commited relationship of yours will have, in modern terms, a more open attitude to the relationship... or, yeah, be downright adulterous. But this is a Jupiter expansion thing, not particularly from Juno (and of course, consider the mythological background!).

As this happens while travelling, which planets are in your 9th house, and which planet rules it?

waybread

Juno of mythology symbolized the legal wife--and a jealous one at that. But the nature of travel itself probably is the reason for the opportunity for increased affairs. People who might be more circumspect at home often take off the brakes when traveling. [I am not saying you do, but men whom you meet might well do this.] Some destinations are known as places where people go for recreational short-term affairs. [Shirley Valentine, anyone?] Might also be a 5th house thing.

Night Sky

Claire19 said:
Does anyone have an idea about Juno. Is she goddess of uncommitted sex. The mistress or courtesan. I have it conjunct Jupiter sextile Sun and find that when travelling and in contact with foreigners I have many opportunities for affairs or is that I am more open to them and especially with those whom I have the Juno connection to their personal planets.

This is interesting: The Magi say this exact thing, Juno in comparison to Chiron. They say that Chiron is the emotional one who needs to be connected while Juno is not emotional.

Juno was the wife of Jupiter.

aquarius7000

Does anyone have an idea about Juno. Is she goddess of uncommitted sex....

Hi there,

Juno, in mythology, is the wife of Jupiter, "a thunder God....who threw thunderbolts and Juno has strong emotional reactions", as A.Guttman and K.Johnson describe in their book: Mythic Astrology Applied. They also say, "Charts of individuals with strongly placed Junos may be faithful to the end and withstand periods in their marriage where the spouse has strayed....Juno does not want to be sub-servient to the spouse, but unlike Lilith, who fled the moment she was asked to submit, Juno stays with a relationship....trying to make it work.....Juno rules marriage as a social institution."

Juno, in astronomy, was the third asteroid (after Ceres and Pallas) discovered on Sep 1, 1801, when she was at 7° Virgo. It is associated with the element of water, which is why perhaps Juno is said to be emotional.

Hope this helps.
:)aquarius7000

PS: Venus, in earlier times, stood for both lovers and wives, whilst Juno was always the lawfully-wedded wife, or the marriage partner.

What I have read on the Juno/Zeus Myth is that these two were aranged in marriage, it all had to to do with social status and merging two powerful families together. We have obviously seen this archetype of arranged marriages take place still today in some countries. Royalty do this to keep their powerful place in society and it also increases there own wealth. It reminds me of the film Titanic where Kate Winslet is arranged to marry the rich man because her mother has lost all her welath, and poor Kate feels stifled in her relationship because he is possessive, controlling and manipulative.Kate wants freedom, she wants to esacpe the whole social atmosphere in which she feels trapped, when she meets Jack her world is opened up he releases her own wild spirit and she eventually breaks free of all the social trappings and lives her life the way she wants to, shines in her own right and not under a power hungry abusive husband.

I am not certain on which role fits who exactly as the whole archetype seems to be embodided within the whole of the marriage. In this type of relatonship there is the Zeus/Juno marrigae conflict, but then the man in Titanic is the successful Jupiter type while underneath Kate is fuming and resentful and is put in his shadow and yet some women are content to seek a powerful partner for his wealth and status because she hereself desires this. Overall this marriage is a difficult one. Juno's beens said to rule Libra but she seems also fitting to rule Scorpio for her jealous reactions. Apparently she had more concern for her relationships and her social standing than the parenting aspect in life.

When one of her children was born mishapen she cast him away, in disgust. And later in the story when she found out this son who she rejected was a very talented artist who could make the most beautiful jewellery she accepted him back in order for him to make her bracelets and rings to adorn herself with. Conditional love between parent and child. Juno in the chart is supposed to represent the type of partner desrired. The example I have given on the movie Titanic is just one possible scenario which I believe the archetype of the Juno/Zeus relationship may be lived out there are possibly other examples. An interesting relationship to say the least!

Last edited:

flea

I am pretty sure Hilary Clinton has a prominant Juno. I have it on the MH conj lilith and pallas, and juno conj with venus and mars were part of my last relationship.... very long lasting, but not particularly successful, I persisted through with too much faith and trust. I have an inkling it is also concerning the balance of wife and self, how to balance these apects in life, being a partner yet also not losing sense of self. That was the major lesson I learnt from my Juno relationship. I lost a sense of self, never to be lost again.

FleaXX

I will have to check out Hilarys chart one time and analyze her Juno aspects. I always thought she had Scorpio aspects, underneath she must have felt humiliated when Bill cheated. Another thing I forgot to add about Zeus is that he used to beat Juno which is the less pleasant face of Jupiter. I was reading through a lot of myths and there was one tale where Jupiter had raped Demeter the mother of Persophene who in turn was raped by Hades (Pluto). I always wondered why in the tale Demeter was overprotective of her daughter to the extreme. I have been enlightended this week by other themes on Jupiter/Zeus. This whole topic has got me thinking on my own planetary aspect of Venus in Capricorn square Pluto with Venus opposed Jupiter, these themes hit very close to home for both of my relationships. I am sure I have Juno in Pisces 7th.

Poupoupidou

No, Juno is not about uncommitted sex. She is about right partners for committed relationships. Juno provides indeed more valuable information in synastry than in birth charts. The conjunction with your Jupiter could suggest many partners might work for you for committed relationship.

Last edited:

Claire19

I thought Juno was almost precisely the opposite - the Wife, faithful to a fault. She's about commitment type relationships.

The attitude you describe sound like it's coming from your Jupiter, not your Juno. Juno conjunct Jupiter can mean you or your partner in any commited relationship of yours will have, in modern terms, a more open attitude to the relationship... or, yeah, be downright adulterous. But this is a Jupiter expansion thing, not particularly from Juno (and of course, consider the mythological background!).

As this happens while travelling, which planets are in your 9th house, and which planet rules it?
no planets in 9th but Jupiter is close to cusp. It is ruled by Scorpio and of course I look to where Pluto is....

FraterAC

Juno (from the Greek goddess Hera) was the archetype of the legal wife and mother, the protector of the sanctity of marriage, the home and family. Homer always refers to Hera as "Cow-eyed Hera;" he describes her as being as beautiful as any goddess. She is the matriarch, goddess of womanhood.

Claire19

Juno (from the Greek goddess Hera) was the archetype of the legal wife and mother, the protector of the sanctity of marriage, the home and family. Homer always refers to Hera as "Cow-eyed Hera;" he describes her as being as beautiful as any goddess. She is the matriarch, goddess of womanhood.
that there are conflicting ideas about Juno meansI dont take much notice of it. It is not after all a planet.

Humanitarian

She's the goddess of marriage and committed sex, not a mistress of Zeus

Claire19

Juno of mythology symbolized the legal wife--and a jealous one at that. But the nature of travel itself probably is the reason for the opportunity for increased affairs. People who might be more circumspect at home often take off the brakes when traveling. [I am not saying you do, but men whom you meet might well do this.] Some destinations are known as places where people go for recreational short-term affairs. [Shirley Valentine, anyone?] Might also be a 5th house thing.
definitely there was opportunities for affairs when I was travelling abroad and from married men. I didnt go there but I was tempted at times. Also foreign men were wanting some kind of quick get together as I was travelling on... Libra 8th house connection so other relationships were invovlved such as other partners....

Claire19

I will have to check out Hilarys chart one time and analyze her Juno aspects. I always thought she had Scorpio aspects, underneath she must have felt humiliated when Bill cheated. Another thing I forgot to add about Zeus is that he used to beat Juno which is the less pleasant face of Jupiter. I was reading through a lot of myths and there was one tale where Jupiter had raped Demeter the mother of Persophene who in turn was raped by Hades (Pluto). I always wondered why in the tale Demeter was overprotective of her daughter to the extreme. I have been enlightended this week by other themes on Jupiter/Zeus. This whole topic has got me thinking on my own planetary aspect of Venus in Capricorn square Pluto with Venus opposed Jupiter, these themes hit very close to home for both of my relationships. I am sure I have Juno in Pisces 7th.
Hilary by many accounts prefers women. She would have been angry that Bill got caught and jeopardised their partnership and public image..... He had promised to be discreet with his many liaisons but got caught out with Monica. Hilary I am sure loves Bill but it is not a sexual dynamic... The child Chelsea is not Bill's biological child as he is infertile and Chelsea has had procedures done to minimise the very strong resemblance to her real father. A friend of Hilary's.

waybread

Interesting speculations about the Clintons, Claire.

None of it can be proven.

Mythological Jupiter played around while legal wife Juno became jealous. I think astrological Juno works a lot like this.

Claire19

Interesting speculations about the Clintons, Claire.

None of it can be proven.

Mythological Jupiter played around while legal wife Juno became jealous. I think astrological Juno works a lot like this.
it probably can be proven but really who cares?