How do Duads work?

Darth MI

How do they work? I was just in an astrology forum and apparently modern astrologers believe it brings a certain spin or flavour. For example if you have Leo Asc in Scorpio duad, it would make you less shower and more secretive than the typical Leo Asc.

In addition some astrologers believe duads are the determining factor why you are wildly different from someone sharing almost the exact same natal chart with only separations in degrees of planets. Thus you and another person were both born with Cancer asc on the same day in the same hospital but because you were born 10 minutes later, you have Libra duad in Cancer asc while your friend has Virgo duad. Thus you may turn out quite different, being charmy and artistic while your friend is analytical and blunt.

How do traditionals view this theory?

JUPITERASC

How do they work? I was just in an astrology forum and apparently modern astrologers believe it brings a certain spin or flavour. For example if you have Leo Asc in Scorpio duad, it would make you less shower and more secretive than the typical Leo Asc.

In addition some astrologers believe duads are the determining factor why you are wildly different from someone sharing almost the exact same natal chart with only separations in degrees of planets. Thus you and another person were both born with Cancer asc on the same day in the same hospital but because you were born 10 minutes later, you have Libra duad in Cancer asc while your friend has Virgo duad. Thus you may turn out quite different, being charmy and artistic while your friend is analytical and blunt.

In astrology, a dwadasama,
which is also called a dwad,
duad
or
dwadachamsha,
is 1/12 of a zodiacal sign
and was developed by Hindu astrologers
who broke the 30 degree sign down into 12 equal parts of 2.5 degrees each :smile:

It is based upon the principle of the part being a reflection of the whole,

12 signs of the zodiac were placed within the confines of one sign.

It is believed that these signs within a sign,

by virtue of their planetary rulers,

account for subtle shadings of expression found in different degrees of that sign.

Therefore, in addition to the sign having a primary planetary ruler,

it would also have a sub-ruler, based upon which dwadasama it is placed in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwadasama

JUPITERASC

'Duads'
also known as
Dodekatermorion

dwadasama
dwads
et al
a discussion with our resident expert dr. farr on the Traditional Forum
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44119 :smile:

11-23-2013, 03:02 AM
dr. farr
user_offline.gif

Re: Pauline dodekatemorion contrasted with “By 12 technique” of Valens/Maternus et al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
This is all very interesting!

My questions are:

What is the practical use of dodeks, what does it signify?

ANSWER:

THEY SHOW A KIND OF HARMONIC THRUST OR RAMIFICATION OF THE PLANET (OR ASCENDANT OR LOT, ETC) THEY THUS SHOW THE ADDITIONAL COSMIC INFLUENCES OPERATIVE BY RAMIFICATION UPON THAT HOROSCOPIC ELEMENT

Are dodeks similar to antiscia, in a sense of being a shadow of the planet?

ANSWER:

IN A WAY, YES-BUT I CONSIDER THEM MORE AS BEING HARMONIC RAMIFICATIONS

How would you interpret a dodek in relation to original placement of the planet? Lets say, similar to example stated above, Mercury ruler of 7th is at 25 Libra in 11th and the dodek falls at 25 Leo in 9th. How would you interpret that?

ANSWER:
ALL OF THE ANCIENT AUTHORS INSTRUCTED THAT THE PLACE OF THE DODEK BE DELINEATED EXACTLY AS IF THE PLANET (OR OTHER POINT) WERE ACTUALLY THERE (AT THE DODEK PLACE) THIS DELINEATION WOULD BE ADDED TO WHATEVER THE DELINEATION OF THE PLANET IN ITS ORIGINAL PLACE WAS, AND THE COMBINATION (SYNTHESIS) OF THESE 2 DELINEATIONS WOULD BE THE COMPLETE ELABORATION OF THAT PLANET (OR OTHER POINT) IN THAT HOROSCOPE.
IN THE EXAMPLE GIVEN ABOVE, YOU WOULD FULLY DELINEATE MERCURY @ 25 LIBRA IN THE 11TH AND ALSO YOUR WOULD FULLY DELINEATE MERCURY @ 25 LEO IN THE 9TH-THOSE 2 DELINEATIONS TAKEN TOGETHER WOULD BE THE COMPLETE MERCURY DELINEATION IN THAT CHART.

Can dodeks be used in horary as well, or just in natal and event astrology?

ANSWER:
I AM NOT AWARE THAT THIS HAS EVER BEEN DONE: DODEKS COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED FROM ASTROLOGICAL PRACTICE BY THE TIME OF THE BEGINNING OF THE ISLAMIC TRANSITIONAL ERA-SINCE HORARY APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED TO THE WEST AROUND THE TIME OF THE BEGINNING OF THIS PERIOD, SO THE PIONEERS OF HORARY PROBABLY WERE NOT AWARE OF THE DODEK METHODOLOGY (VEDIC ASTROLOGY-WHICH PROBABLY ORIGNINATED HORARY AS WE HAVE COME TO KNOW IT, AROUND THE 6TH CENTURY AD, NEVER USED THE DODEK CONCEPT OR METHODOLOGY, PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE EXTENSIVE USE OF VARGA-IE HARMONIC LIKE-CHARTS SINCE THE EARLIEST PERIODS OF VEDIC PRACTICE)
I MYSELF HAVE NEVER APPLIED DODEK TO HORARY-NEVER FELT THE NEED TO DO SO-HOWEVER, THEORETICALLY THERE IS NO REASON WHY DODEKS COULD NOT BE APPLIED TO HORARY (MIGHT BE AN INTERESTING EXPERIMENT)

Multiplying by 12 seems logical. It looks more harmonious and geometrical. What is the logic behind multiplying by 13?

ANSWER:
ALL THE HELLENIST AUTHORS USED THE BY 12 DODEK-ONLY PAULUS USED THE BY 13-HE DID SO BECAUSE WITH THE BY 12 METHOD THE PLANET COULD NEVER BE "THRUST" FORWARD TO THE SAME PLACE AS THE ORIGINAL POSITION-WITH THE BY 13 METHOD THIS COULD BE A POSSIBILITY AND APPARENTLY PAULUS CONSIDERED THIS TO BE IMPORTANT (SEE FULL EXPLANATION IN GREENABUM'S "LATE CLASSICAL ASTROLOGY") i HAVE ONLY EXPERIMENTED WITH THE PAULINE DODEK (BY 13) AND I HAVE BEEN FULLY SATISFIED WITH THE RESULTS OBTAINED.

Can someone answer at least some of these questions? Thanks

Hope I have answered your questions!
Last edited by dr. farr; 11-23-2013 at 03:05 AM.

theV

I really want to see if people relate to their duad points or aspects or connection tot he birth chart. I do believe the duad sign influence the temperament of the natal sings. But I don't relate to the connection of duad/natal.

theV

I really want to see if people relate to their duad points or aspects or connection tot he birth chart. I do believe the duad sign influence the temperament of the natal sings. But I don't relate to the connection of duad/natal.

Pauline dodekatemorion :smile:
contrasted with
“By 12 technique” of Valens/Maternus et al
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44119

I prefer the 12th harmonic chart. After doing 12th harmonic charts comparison with natal chart for celebrities, personalities, close people to me, I have found some amazing revelation about person's psyche and personality. I am not talking about dwada