Calculating Natal Charts Without An Astrology Program

Arian Maverick

Today I received a used copy of Parkers' Astrology: New Edition as a belated birthday present, which I have been absorbed in for many hours now.

As I consider myself to be beyond the beginning stages of astrological study--or at least, I am aware that there is more to this art and science than sun signs--I was able to understand the concepts presented in the first few chapters relatively quickly.

After discussing the basic concepts of the twelve signs of the zodiac as well as the houses, planetary aspects, eclipses and comets, fixed stars, etc. the book describes how to calculate a birth chart by hand. Due to the excessive details involve, I decided to type the instructions into a word processor for personal use and rectify the example using my own natal data.

However, I have become so confused with this process that I don't even know what I'm confused about! :roll:

Can anyone offer me any assistance?

Arian Maverick

Lapis

I've mentioned before that I first learned how to calculate natal charts from a elderly male Teacher in 1974. It was 1974 and at that time doing Charts by hand was the only way astrologers could do them! It was hard for me because I get nervous around math anyway plus I'm just much better at the right brained aspects of astrology.

Many years later when I finally got my natal chart done through a computer generated program, my Asc changed by one degree because the computer calculated not only hours and minutes but also seconds. Seconds just weren't listed in the books and so I couldn't get the exact birth time down that close. That says something about computer Charts vs. hand drawn ones!

So Miss Arian Mav, even though its fun to know how to calculate astrology charts and progressions etc., you almost need a good teacher right there with you to walk you through all the different steps and provide you with graphs and the other books needed. And in the end, like I said, the computer generated charts are down to the second correct.

Arian Maverick

I think I finally figured out how to calculate my planetary degrees! :mrgreen:

First you find your diurnal proportion (GMT birth time expressed as a fraction of the day of birth) by dividing the number of minutes by 60, adding the number of hours; divide the result by 24.

Using an ephemeris, you then find the degree of a planet at exactly midnight on the day your were born, as well as the degree for the day after.

Subtract the position of the planet on the GMT date of your birth from the position of the planet the day after the GMT date, and multiply the result by the constant (diurnal proportion); add the degree of the planet at midnight the day you were born.

Here's what I got:

My natal Sun is located at approximately 15.6194º Aries
My natal Moon is located at approximately 5.175º Aries
My natal Mercury is located at approximately 16.538º Aries
My natal Venus is located at approximately 15.703º Aries
My natal Mars is located at approximately 15.3516º Gemini
My natal Jupiter is located at approximately 3.8775º Gemini
My natal Saturn is located at approximately 13.5828º Capricorn
My natal Uranus is located at approximately 5.3º Capricorn
My natal Neptune is located at approximately 12.34194º Capricorn
My natal Pluto is located at approximately 14.57416º Scorpio

Now if only I could figure out how to convert degrees into minutes and hours... :roll:

Arian Maverick

Elianah

Not that I would want to do it all the time, but I do think there is value in calculating a few charts by hand:

1. I think it gives the intuitive a chance to mix with the left-brained geometry of the chart in a way that doesn't happen in the same way with a computerized chart. I think someone who is quite intuitive can understand the strength of the aspect relationship in a much deeper way through the hand calculation.

2. I think it also allows the intuition to get deeper faster into the chart because the left/right brain dichotomy is broken, allowing for a whole brain approach to astrology.

3. I think that hand calculated charts also allows the astrologer to really sort out the house system issue because it allows the astrologer to resonate with the quantum math of the big picture of the chart in a way that can best identify the house system that best works for that astrologer in the greatest number of cases.

4. Calculating a chart by hand is an act of creation and the astrologer is contacting the spirit/soul of a person and co-creating ways of interpretting the chart that makes it easy to take in and digest for the physical being in front of them. It also allows the astrologer to understand the reason why the spirit/soul may have chosen this particular chart for this incarnation and how it relates to the other incarnations the spirit/soul is living through while being within this particular physicality.

This is not to say that these things do not happen with a computer-generated chart, I just think it takes a bit longer for all of it to meld together with a c.g. chart. The more fluent one's whole brain becomes in astrology, the less difference it makes how the chart was generated because the whole brain taps into the quanta and the macro and integrates and interrelates them immediately to allow the necessary contact with the client's spirit/soul.

Elianah

Arian Maverick

Yes, I agree...there is something deeply satisfying about calculating charts by hand, and it has helped me become more aware of the energies at work in my natal chart. I can't wait to learn more!

Arian Maverick

nis

Hi friends
can any one please explain me the method of calculating natal chart by hand.

Regard's
Nis

Moog

I learned my first astrology from that book (Parker's)

I am terrible at math, but I was determined, and did finally manage to make a chart from it.

Then I discovered astro.com, thank the gods :biggrin: