My Neptune minor aspects

gimzo23

I have a hard time interpreting my minor Neptune aspects to some important points in my natal chart and I can't seem to find much about it on the internet. Can anyone tell me how exactly a Neptune sesquisquare to the Sun and a Neptune sesquisquare to the Midheaven/semisquare to the IC will show or manifest itself? I've read that these two minor aspects are similar in effect to the square but only weaker and more subtle? So could I basically read the square interpretations and think of it as a weaker form in its characteristics? Would that in my case with the sun aspect, mean some weak, or underlying form of identity finding problems, and with the axis aspects to the MC, the same issues concerning career and vocation? But how could the aspect to the IC show itself? Being a little confused in home matters somehow, too? :confused:

Or if anyone knows of any good links explaining these aspects, please let me know. I couldn't find much about it. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

freedomlover

Hi again Gimzo23!

I've found a meaningful description of a sesquisquare to be "a series of hard adjustments" . It can mean something that is a challenge, but that you have to work on for awhile - and breakthrough comes in stages.

My interpretations of your sesquisquares:

Neptune(r) in Sag in 5th sesq. Sun in Cancer in 12th -- a couple of things came to mind: 1) Is there any part of you that, as a child, wanted to "run away from home"? 2) Learning to not substitute sexual intimacy for emotional intimacy.

Neptune(r) in Sag in 5th sesq MC in Aries (MC rules by Mars in Gemini/10th) - lessons in self-esteem and assertiveness - the courage to follow what your heart is telling you. See yourself as a winner in matters of the heart.

Neptune (r) in Sag in 5th semisquare IC (IC ruled by Venus in Gemini -11th)
Lessons in learning to be true friends and equals(11th house) with women , and developing good communication skills with a soul-mate (Venus in Gemini).
(Another indication of this that dovetails with it - is your Mars is tightly conjunct Lilith in Gemini - and they are both inconjunct (jerk the knots out of it aspect -"how can these two possible go together?") Uranus in Scorpio. Gemini and Scorpio together call for deep emotional connections based on good communication and appreciation of the other's viewpoints/ways of seeing things. - A "Put yourself in my shoes type of aspect". It is also indicative of needing to find your soulmate. (Lilith in Gemini indicates you may have trouble connecting with women, communicating with them, etc. You may have run into women with poor communication skills --liar, gossip, "bitchy", etc. You may have trouble with attracting women who are coming from their "fake" side.)

Hope that helps a little,

Freedomlover

Last edited:

Claire19

My advice is forget the minor aspects, they are not important. Concentrating on the major aspects of your chart will give you the answers you need. Neptune is an area of confusion and you dont need unnecessary elements making it worse. I might use a semi square if it is exact or if the planets involved are powerful in their own right. i.e. Leo Sun semisquare Venus in Libra exact, as I have. I use this. But no others. The reason you dont find any information is that they are not really relevant.

freedomlover

Claire19 said:
My advice is forget the minor aspects, they are not important. Concentrating on the major aspects of your chart will give you the answers you need. Neptune is an area of confusion and you dont need unnecessary elements making it worse. I might use a semi square if it is exact or if the planets involved are powerful in their own right. i.e. Leo Sun semisquare Venus in Libra exact, as I have. I use this. But no others. The reason you dont find any information is that they are not really relevant.

I used to think this, too. However, the more I study the "minor" aspects in real-life experience, the more I realize that they often explain things in the chart that the major ones don't really describe - even aspects that are considered even "more minor" than the sesquisquare . However, I use a very, very tight orb with the minor aspects. When they are exact, they can be quite powerful.

FL

gimzo23

freedomlover said:
Hi again Gimzo23!

I've found the a meaningful description of a sesquisquare to be "a series of hard adjustments" . It can mean something that is a challenge, but that you have to work on for awhile - and breakthrough comes in stages.

Hey there, freedomlover! It's always nice to see and read from you again. Thanks for helping me out with my questions once again. :eek:

My interpretations of your sesquisquares:

Neptune(r) in Sag in 5th sesq. Sun in Cancer in 12th -- a couple of things came to mind: 1) Is there any part of you that, as a child, wanted to "run away from home"? 2) Learning to not substitute sexual intimacy for emotional intimacy.

As a child, no I don't think so, as far as I can remember. But in youth then yes. But that had rather something to do with "running away from life and my problems with it and myself" than running away from home. Though I have to say I'm a 0° Leo sun, not Cancer sun like you mentioned. But I've always felt some strong Cancer traits in me. But I'm not sure if that comes from being born on the cusp, or from having my moon on the IC. But that's another matter.

Neptune(r) in Sag in 5th sesq MC in Aries (MC rules by Mars in Gemini/10th) - lessons in self-esteem and assertiveness - the courage to follow what your heart is telling you. See yourself as a winner in matters of the heart.

That's interesting and applies to me some I think. I've gotten a little better with asserting myself though. But it's always rather arduous for me, and the rare times I do, it's mostly only if I feel unjustifiably confronted from the outside in any form, or if it's about matters not involving me personally. Otherwise I take myself back most of the times, which isn't always helpful, especially in 10th house matters.

Neptune (r) in Sag in 5th semisquare IC (IC ruled by Venus in Gemini -11th)
Lessons in learning to be true friends and equals(11th house) with women , and developing good communication skills with a soul-mate (Venus in Gemini).
(Another indication of this that dovetails with it - is your Mars is tightly conjunct Lilith in Gemini - and they are both inconjunct (jerk the knots out of it aspect -"how can these two possible go together?") Uranus in Scorpio. Gemini and Scorpio together call for deep emotional connections based on good communication and appreciation of the other's viewpoints/ways of seeing things. - A "Put yourself in my shoes type of aspect". It is also indicative of needing to find your soulmate. (Lilith in Gemini indicates you may have trouble connecting with women, communicating with them, etc. You may have run into women with poor communication skills --liar, gossip, "bitchy", etc. You may have trouble with attracting women who are coming from their "fake" side.)

Very interesting indeed. I often forget to consider house rulers and signs while looking at aspects. It can give such different and much more complex pictures. Thanks freedomlover for your interpretations here. :)

gimzo23

Claire19 said:

Thanks Claire19. That's what I've read in internet articles most of the times. At least that they are not very important. There seem to be a few astrologers who think otherwise, but it seems to be the minority. A few though seem to regard them as almost or even just as strong as the major aspects. I find that interesting, but I personally have no idea or experience in the matter as I'm just an interested beginner.

freedomlover

Gimzo23

As a child, no I don't think so, as far as I can remember. But in youth then yes. But that had rather something to do with "running away from life and my problems with it and myself" than running away from home. Though I have to say I'm a 0° Leo sun, not Cancer sun like you mentioned. But I've always felt some strong Cancer traits in me. But I'm not sure if that comes from being born on the cusp, or from having my moon on the IC. But that's another matter.
Woops! My bad.:eek: What I meant to write was that your Sun was in the 12th house, which has Cancer in the cusp. A Leo Sun in the 12th ruled by Cancer gives the impression of a child trapped in the house because of the parents/family of origins desires for them being in conflict with their own. (Family of origin translates into society's desires as you get older)

I would lean towards your Cancer traits being attributed to the 12th house being in Cancer and your Sun being in there, rather than your Moon in Libra being conjunct the IC. The Moon in Libra is 5 degrees away from the cusp. So even thought it takes on a little IC flavor, it is very much in the 3rd house. If it was at 26-27 degrees Libra, it would take on more of a 4th house flavor. I have an Aquarius Moon in the 1st house, with Capricorn on the cusp. My Moon could really go either way, because many of the Capricorn Moon's descriptions fit me very well. I guess my Moon seems a blend of the two. I would see your Leo Sun being flavored by the Cancer cusp in the same way.

Thanks for the feedback, as it helps me to learn through trial and error.

FL

btw, you have the same birthdate as my youngest daughter - different year though.

Last edited:

gimzo23

freedomlover said:
Gimzo23

Woops! My bad.:eek: What I meant to write was that your Sun was in the 12th house, which has Cancer in the cusp. A Leo Sun in the 12th ruled by Cancer gives the impression of a child trapped in the house because of the parents/family of origins desires for them being in conflict with their own. (Family of origin translates into society's desires as you get older)

I would lean towards your Cancer traits being attributed to the 12th house being in Cancer and you Sun being in there, rather than your Moon in Libra being conjunct the IC. The Moon in Libra is 5 degrees away from the cusp. So even thought it takes on a little IC flavor, it is very much in the 3rd house. If it was at 26-27 degrees Libra, it would take on more of a 4th house flavor. I have an Aquarius Moon in the 1st house, with Capricorn on the cusp. My Moon could really go either way, because many of the Capricorn Moon's descrptions fit me very well. I guess my Moon seems a blend of the two. I would see your Leo Sun being flavored by the Cancer cusp in the same way.

Thanks for the feedback, as it helps me to learn through trial and error.

FL

btw, you have the same birthdate as my youngest daughter - different year though.

Ah I see. I always wondered about my Cancer traits being such a homie and with a "spotlight phobia" etc. Before I got into astrology I always thought it's probably just because I was born on the first day of Leo. When I got into astrology I started to see that there is more to it than just the sun sign and that some of these traits can be explained in my chart. You are probably right that the 12th house is the main issue there, a little more so than the IC. These two forces have always been a little difficult for me to differentiate. Because I have my Leo Sun in the 12th, I sometimes forget that my 12th house cusp is in a different sign than Leo, and forget that this could have an influence as well. As a beginner, it always gets a little complicated and complex to interpret it all correctly, like in your case with the moon in a sign in a house, but the cusp of the house in another sign etc., and to put it all together that it makes sense in the end. And then the 1000 different other things there are in astrology. Someone has to make astrology a little easier to learn :eek: I plead for a different universe. Or substitute mankind. :p Or maybe substitue myself, lol. Sorry for going off-topic here.

Is your daughter a typical Leo?

Last edited:

freedomlover

Gimzo23,
Ah I see. I always wondered about my Cancer traits being such a homie and rarely acting really Leo style etc. Before I got into astrology I always thought it's probably just because I was born on the first day of Leo. When I got into astrology I started to see that there is more to it than just the sun sign and that some of these traits can be explained in my chart. You are probably right that the 12th house is the main issue there, a little more so than the IC. These two forces have always been a little difficult for me to differentiate. Because I have my Leo Sun in the 12th, I sometimes forget that my 12th house cusp is in a different sign than Leo, and forget that this could have an influence as well. As a beginner, it always gets a little complicated and complex to interpret it all correctly, like in your case with the moon in a sign in a house, but the cusp of the house in another sign etc., and to put it all together that it makes sense in the end. And then the 1000 different other things there are in astrology. Someone has to make astrology a little easier to learn :eek: I plead for a different universe. Or substitute mankind. :p Or maybe substitue myself, lol. Sorry for going off-topic here.

Is your daughter a typical Leo?
Is she a typical Leo? Did you say Leo? She's a Leo sun in the 5th house kind of typical Leo!:D

It's funny you say that you always thought your Cancerian traits were because your Sun is on the cusp. I didn't list that as a reason, because the vast majority of astrologers seem to say that once it's over into a particular sign - it's totally in the sign. I tend to disagree. I think that people born on the first day of the sign change still carry a little "residue" from the previous sign. My daughter is verrrry Leo, but she does have quite a bit of Cancerian traits - especially when she was younger. She doesn't have planets in Cancer, nor any of her angles, except for Chiron, which she has smack on the cusp of her 5th. That may possible account for it, with the Sun being in her 5th - but it could be because she was born the first day of the Sun's ingress into Leo, as well.

One thought about your chart..... The ruler of your 12th is Moon in Libra in the 3rd -within 5 degrees of your IC. What was the communication style between you and your mother and other significant females growing up, and into young adulthood? Was it fair and balanced? Were you expected to listen and not talk too much? Were you heard when you needed to be? Did anyone give orders instead of making requests? Did you, yourself, engage in any of the detrimental styles? With all your Gemini emphasis (which I mentioned in other threads), the answer to this question may turn out to be a gold mine. I would be interested to read your response.

Edit: And the Moon, ruler of 12th in Libra in the 3rd could point to issues of fairness and equality and favoritism among siblings.

FL

Last edited:

gaer

Gizmo,

Mercury can't even form an exact aspect with the Sun except a conjunction. It can't even form a semi-square, since it only gets a maximum distance of 28 degrees away from the Sun, and usually it doesn't get that far.

With Venus it's similar, but Venus gets about 47 degrees away, at maximum, though usually getting closer to 45 degrees away. With Venus and the Sun a semi-square becomes important because it can only form a semi-square, a semi-sextile and a conjunction. Sun semi-square Mercury is at least a very interesting aspect. If you think about Mercury and Venus this way, and how they are more or less "chained to the Sun" (because they have to stay close), you may want to think about this in the future.

Now, I would pay attention to aspect patterns. Supposing, for instance, you have two planets almost exactly opposite in a chart (they need to be this way for what I'm about to describe to happen), and two planets are both semi-square to one of them. Then those planets are sesquiquadrate or 135 degrees away from the other end. It's almost like having a weird, different kind of yod—and containing an opposition.

If your chart is full of major aspects to a planet, and many of these aspects connect personal planets or outers to personal, you may choose to look only at those. It's a lot to take in. However, what happens when a planet makes no major aspect to the other planets, or when an outer only makes major aspects to other outers?

If you use Chiron, asteroids, fixed stars (and so on), you will find some aspects from Uranus to other planets (such as an opposition to Chiron). But if you only use the Sun through Pluto, then Uranus is sort of hanging around in your 4th. And not really touch any other planet.

So in this case you might want to think about Uranus/Jupiter, and you might check here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/uranusaspects.html

To get a feel for how this cookbook page describes the relationship of Jupiter to Uranus, first check the trine and sextile for an idea how the planets might work together. Then read the conjunction, square and opposition for the difficulties. Don't take any one paragraph to literally. Notice how the author attempts to keep the same basic principles but adapts them to ease or friction and the principles of the different aspects (conjunction is right there, but sometimes like the "nose on your face", opposition stares are you "from across the room", square is presenting you with something that you can't see because it is "around the corner". I'd say the 135 degrees is subtler, but even harder to see.

I would think of such keywords as: unorthdox, expansive, liberty, and so on. Think of the minor irritation of the aspect, note that the signs of the planets are nor harmonious, and so on.

Now try the same thing with Neptune and the Sun.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/neptuneaspects.html

Read the positive and negative aspects for Sun/Neptune. Try to pick up the concepts behind the thumbnails. A difficult Sun/Neptune aspect will heighten sensitivity, add to shyness, increase the need for down-time/rest and so on. It's good for imagination, for compassion, empathy and so on, but the hard aspects literally make it "harder" to live with the sensitivity. The problem is that Sun in the 12th does many of the same things.

Then think of these odd aspects as mostly "flavoring" to the chart.

Final note: the Jupiter/Uranus aspect is nearly 2 degrees, rather wide for such a minor aspect, and separating, and these are both slow moving planets. The aspect was about dead-on 10 days earlier, which is pretty general, in the charts of people for more than 15 days. But the Sun/Neptune aspect was only there for about 4 days, more personal, but still affecting a lot of people around the world.

When it gets REALLY personal is in a case like my wife's chart. She has Moon/Saturn square, with Mercury sesquiqradrate BOTH of them. She is one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, but very shy.

Last edited:

gimzo23

freedomlover said:
Gimzo23,

Is she a typical Leo? Did you say Leo? She's a Leo sun in the 5th house kind of typical Leo!:D

It's funny you say that you always thought your Cancerian traits were because your Sun is on the cusp. I didn't list that as a reason, because the vast majority of astrologers seem to say that once it's over into a particular sign - it's totally in the sign. I tend to disagree. I think that people born on the first day of the sign change still carry a little "residue" from the previous sign. My daughter is verrrry Leo, but she does have quite a bit of Cancerian traits - especially when she was younger. She doesn't have planets in Cancer, nor any of her angles, except for Chiron, which she has smack on the cusp of her 5th. That may possible account for it, with the Sun being in her 5th - but it could be because she was born the first day of the Sun's ingress into Leo, as well.

One thought about your chart..... The ruler of your 12th is Moon in Libra in the 3rd -within 5 degrees of your IC. What was the communication style between you and your mother and other significant females growing up, and into young adulthood? Was it fair and balanced? Were you expected to listen and not talk too much? Were you heard when you needed to be? Did anyone give orders instead of making requests? Did you, yourself, engage in any of the detrimental styles? With all your Gemini emphasis (which I mentioned in other threads), the answer to this question may turn out to be a gold mine. I would be interested to read your response.

Edit: And the Moon, ruler of 12th in Libra in the 3rd could point to issues of fairness and equality and favoritism among siblings.

FL

Heh, Leo sun in the 5th house.... could you ask her how much she wants for her sun house position please? :D

I did think so as well, that there is no allowable orb for the sun sign. First I learned there is none. But I once searched around for some time about it on the net, and I couldn't seem to find something definite about it. Some are very convinced that there is none. Others think yes. There seem to be quite a few sites on the internet explaining about the "being born on a cusp" thing. Some astrologers seem to even give an allowable time period of about 5 or 6 days on the sun sign changes to still be influenced by the other sign. This seems like quite a big time frame to me. But then again, what do I know? It would make sense to me thinking that if there is an orb for planets near house cusps, shouldn't there be one for signs as well? But maybe this can't be dealt in the same way, I don't know.

Thank you for your furthur inquiries about my chart there, freedomlover. Even though it's no real big things about it, I'll send you a pm later, as I don't feel too comfortable laying open my family life here on the internet. I hope that's ok with you.

gimzo23

gaer said:
Gizmo,

Mercury can't even form an exact aspect with the Sun except a conjunction. It can't even form a semi-square, since it only gets a maximum distance of 28 degrees away from the Sun, and usually it doesn't get that far.

With Venus it's similar, but Venus gets about 47 degrees away, at maximum, though usually getting closer to 45 degrees away. With Venus and the Sun a semi-square becomes important because it can only form a semi-square, a semi-sextile and a conjunction. Sun semi-square Mercury is at least a very interesting aspect. If you think about Mercury and Venus this way, and how they are more or less "chained to the Sun" (because they have to stay close), you may want to think about this in the future.

Now, I would pay attention to aspect patterns. Supposing, for instance, you have two planets almost exactly opposite in a chart (they need to be this way for what I'm about to describe to happen), and two planets are both semi-square to one of them. Then those planets are sesquiquadrate or 135 degrees away from the other end. It's almost like having a weird, different kind of yod—and containing an opposition.

If your chart is full of major aspects to a planet, and many of these aspects connect personal planets or outers to personal, you may choose to look only at those. It's a lot to take in. However, what happens when a planet makes no major aspect to the other planets, or when an outer only makes major aspects to other outers?

If you use Chiron, asteroids, fixed stars (and so on), you will find some aspects from Uranus to other planets (such as an opposition to Chiron). But if you only use the Sun through Pluto, then Uranus is sort of hanging around in your 4th. And not really touch any other planet.

So in this case you might want to think about Uranus/Jupiter, and you might check here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/uranusaspects.html

To get a feel for how this cookbook page describes the relationship of Jupiter to Uranus, first check the trine and sextile for an idea how the planets might work together. Then read the conjunction, square and opposition for the difficulties. Don't take any one paragraph to literally. Notice how the author attempts to keep the same basic principles but adapts them to ease or friction and the principles of the different aspects (conjunction is right there, but sometimes like the "nose on your face", opposition stares are you "from across the room", square is presenting you with something that you can't see because it is "around the corner". I'd say the 135 degrees is subtler, but even harder to see.

I would think of such keywords as: unorthdox, expansive, liberty, and so on. Think of the minor irritation of the aspect, note that the signs of the planets are nor harmonious, and so on.

Now try the same thing with Neptune and the Sun.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/neptuneaspects.html

Read the positive and negative aspects for Sun/Neptune. Try to pick up the concepts behind the thumbnails. A difficult Sun/Neptune aspect will heighten sensitivity, add to shyness, increase the need for down-time/rest and so on. It's good for imagination, for compassion, empathy and so on, but the hard aspects literally make it "harder" to live with the sensitivity. The problem is that Sun in the 12th does many of the same things.

Then think of these odd aspects as mostly "flavoring" to the chart.

Final note: the Jupiter/Uranus aspect is nearly 2 degrees, rather wide for such a minor aspect, and separating, and these are both slow moving planets. The aspect was about dead-on 10 days earlier, which is pretty general, in the charts of people for more than 15 days. But the Sun/Neptune aspect was only there for about 4 days, more personal, but still affecting a lot of people around the world.

When it gets REALLY personal is in a case like my wife's chart. She has Moon/Saturn square, with Mercury sesquiqradrate BOTH of them. She is one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, but very shy.

Thanks so much for the long explanations there, gaer. That was really interesting and helpful for me in understanding these minor aspects a little better. Do you personally consider minor aspects to the MC/IC and AC/DC axis? I'm just asking as you were explaining about the personalness of the aspects, as I've learned these major axis points are the most personal things in a chart, as they change their positions so fast.

Ali

I definitely use sesqui, semi-sextiles, semi-square, quintiles -- all of them but with 1 to 1/2 degree applying orbs and only to your inner planets. Squares opps, some sextiles and trines show actions -- actually events in the natives life. Sesqui, semi-squares show tension -- usually internal but also unspoken tension with others. I wouldn't worry about the sesqu of your sun/neptune as it is separating. And a minor aspect to Uranus/Jupiter probably is too impersonal for you to feel.

The only one I'd focus on is the 135degree from Neptune in Sag in the 5th to your Midheaven which looks a lot like tension between your career (or those things you do which make you known in your community) and the part of yourself that likes to 1) play, 2) create or 3) party 4)gamble. Also, you might (if not now then sometime in the future) worry about the effect of your work on your children. Nothing really bad happens because of this minor aspect but you could dwell on the difficulty of your choices in connection with play and work.

gimzo23

Ali said:
I definitely use sesqui, semi-sextiles, semi-square, quintiles -- all of them but with 1 to 1/2 degree applying orbs and only to your inner planets. Squares opps, some sextiles and trines show actions -- actually events in the natives life. Sesqui, semi-squares show tension -- usually internal but also unspoken tension with others. I wouldn't worry about the sesqu of your sun/neptune as it is separating. And a minor aspect to Uranus/Jupiter probably is too impersonal for you to feel.

The only one I'd focus on is the 135degree from Neptune in Sag in the 5th to your Midheaven which looks a lot like tension between your career (or those things you do which make you known in your community) and the part of yourself that likes to 1) play, 2) create or 3) party 4)gamble. Also, you might (if not now then sometime in the future) worry about the effect of your work on your children. Nothing really bad happens because of this minor aspect but you could dwell on the difficulty of your choices in connection with play and work.

That's great. Thanks a lot for your hints and interpretations of that Neptune/Midheaven aspect there, Ali. I've been wondering about that one for a good while, and it makes perfect sense for me now. With applying and separating, that's a thing I need to start looking at more I guess.

Ali

I started using minor aspects when I found people with few major ones. Somethings going on with these people -- they aren't just lying around unconnected to the universe.

I've always found someone with many minor aspects to be keenly aware of subtle distinctions in life.